Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #2161
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Have decided to go for LED light bulbs for now until I can afford a solar system.....Whats the go with the battery packs....why are they so expensive?
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #2162
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

solar batteries, or I should say, batteries that are suitable for solar are always deep cycle, usually AGM (glass mat) or gel. hence the expense, normal batt's cannot take the constant deep discharge and recharge cycles

battery "banks" can be purchased but these are put together by the company on an individual basis

suitable batteries are sold as 2v, 4v, 6v or 12v.........the systems can be setup as 12v, 24v or 48volt.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #2163
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
solar batteries, or I should say, batteries that are suitable for solar are always deep cycle, usually AGM (glass mat) or gel. hence the expense, normal batt's cannot take the constant deep discharge and recharge cycles

battery "banks" can be purchased but these are put together by the company on an individual basis

suitable batteries are sold as 2v, 4v, 6v or 12v.........the systems can be setup as 12v, 24v or 48volt.
O.k All sounds a lot similar to the electric forklifts I used to work on.
Old 18-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #2164
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

electric forklift batteries would make excellent solar batteries as they are the same technology.

if you can get a heap of them you'd be laughing.

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 19-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #2165
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just got my letter from agl with all the price increases!!!!.......hmmm still waiting for a letter to tell me they will increase what they pay me for the power I sell them (says with tongue firmly planted in cheek)
Old 19-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #2166
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont reckon you'd want to be holding your breath waiting for that one.

I've still got to go through my latest figures.....too busy lately.

very poor production this time of year with high power use.

2 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2013, 11:26 PM   #2167
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

True Value Solar just had an add on t.v.... They got 12 panels plus a 5kw 'expandable' invertor for $4990.......Would this system be worth looking at?
Old 19-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #2168
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
True Value Solar just had an add on t.v.... They got 12 panels plus a 5kw 'expandable' invertor for $4990.......Would this system be worth looking at?
i have a true value solar system but i have 20 panels with a 5kw inverter. there really isn't any point getting an inverter much larger than the size of the system though, as its that expensive to upsize in the future, that no one ever does.

chances are they just have excess of the 5kw ones they need to move.

like i said earlier, i'm more than happy with my system, but i'll let others make up their own mind on the company. there is a lot of negative feedback on the web (a google search brings up plenty) but much of it is from a couple of years ago. they have really cleaned up their act in recent years.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #2169
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I also have a cheaper Chinese system, Stream panels and JSY inverter. I did compare warranties on the inverter and the panels and it was the same as the more expensive brands, so I went ahead and saved myself a few $$$ on the install.
The company I went through was a father/son outfit. Father is the salesman (does blinds and so forth too) and the son was the electrician who does the install. He said at the time that with the inverter we had installed (A JSI-1500TL) that he's installed hundreds around Adelaide and he's only had a couple fail. And they were all DOA.
As above, there are some quality Chinese brands around, but there are probably a lot more dodgy ones than quality ones, so do your research. And watch out as some of the so called "German" brands are actually manufactured in China too.

Be careful with these so called "expandable" systems. A lot of the time, if you modify your system so that it isn't what you originally had installed, then you can lose your feed-in tariff. (At least, that's what happens here in SA. Not sure on other states)

Last edited by sgt_doofey; 20-07-2013 at 03:09 PM.
sgt_doofey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #2170
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post
Be careful with these so called "expandable" systems. A lot of the time, if you modify your system so that it isn't what you originally had installed, then you can lose your feed-in tariff. (At least, that's what happens here in SA. Not sure on other states)
Good advice right there. Especially if you're already getting a healthy FIT - although with some of the FIT's I see on offer lately it wouldn't be worth fretting over.

At the moment in QLD they base your system on the inverters capacity, not the output of the panels. So if your struggling with coin for a full 5kW system, you can fit say 1.5kW worth of panels to your 5kW inverter and add panels up to 5kW at a later date when your finances permit without losing your FIT. However if your 5kW inverter craps itself and you opt to fit a larger inverter to replace it, you then lose your FIT and drop down to whatever is the going rate on the day.

The above applies to QLD, check your states regulations!

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #2171
prydey
Rob

if you state the generative capacity of your system as that of the inverter size, then you should be able to increase the number of panels up to that point, without losing your FIT. i think thats how it works here.

for me, my system is 3.8kw but my inverter is 5kw. my system is stated with sa power networks (etsa) as a 5kw system. so technically i can add up to 6 panels (depending on wattage) to my system. the cost of doing so however isn't viable.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #2172
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

your initial PVSEG value will be the one that is important with "expandable systems".

always nominate a higher value (in your case 5 kilowatt) BEFORE installing.

once its done all future FIT'S will be null and void because you broke the contract.

there a lot of true value systems installed around here take a good look at your installers and look for references and previous jobs

they state 12 panels......what is the wattage capacity.

Old 20-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #2173
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
they state 12 panels......what is the wattage capacity.
http://www.truevaluesolar.com.au/

they state 250w panels, so its a 3kw system.

one thing with TVS though that i admit i was aware of but didn't fully think about the overall cost, is their requirement that the system have an inspection every 2 years. these are apparently around $2-250. over the 25year warranty term of the panels, that equates to an extra $2500 give or take. as far as i know, no other provider/installer has that mandate, so whilst the initial cost is lower, over 25 years, it may not actually be a lot cheaper than a more reputable branded system. like i said, i was aware of the cost but didn't really think about the long term extra cost.

this isn't necessarily a negative. just putting it out there so that its in the open.

for the record my 3.8kw system was averaging between 20-25kwh/day during summer. i haven't been brave enough to look during winter. somewhere around 10kwh i think, give or take.
Old 20-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #2174
prydey
Rob

didn't realise frosty was a TVS ambassador

Old 20-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #2175
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
http://www.truevaluesolar.com.au/

they state 250w panels, so its a 3kw system.

one thing with TVS though that i admit i was aware of but didn't fully think about the overall cost, is their requirement that the system have an inspection every 2 years. these are apparently around $2-250. over the 25year warranty term of the panels, that equates to an extra $2500 give or take. as far as i know, no other provider/installer has that mandate, so whilst the initial cost is lower, over 25 years, it may not actually be a lot cheaper than a more reputable branded system. like i said, i was aware of the cost but didn't really think about the long term extra cost.

this isn't necessarily a negative. just putting it out there so that its in the open.

for the record my 3.8kw system was averaging between 20-25kwh/day during summer. i haven't been brave enough to look during winter. somewhere around 10kwh i think, give or take.

hmm! a bit expensive for an "inspection".

we don't talk about solar output during winter!!!!.......

This user likes this post:
Old 20-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #2176
prydey
Rob

actually just looking back through my warranty book, it appears the service requirement every 2 years is only for the installation warranty period, which is 10 years.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #2177
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So that would be an extra $1250 on top of the install price right? Surely a solar system would be a 'set and forget' type of thing wouldn't it.... $250 a service is pretty rich...Sort of offsets any savings made doesn't it?
Old 20-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #2178
prydey
Rob

according to the book

'the service typically covers the following
- cleaning of the glass area of the modules to remove excessive dirt.
- after the modules have been cleaned, a visual inspection of the modules is done to check for defects in the modules such as cracks, chips and discolouration.
- Inspection of all cables, connectors and outside switches for any signs of product wear due to UV radiation or exposure to the elements (ie weather)
- when inspecting the solar modules, the condition of the array mounting frame will also be inspected in particular.

The array mounting bolts are checked to ensure that the frame and modules are firmly secured.'

is it a cost i didn't really think about when i signed up? yes.

would i have signed up had i realised the long term cost was over $1000 extra? possibly not, but its all hypothetical now.

is it a necessary service? probably not, given i don't know of any other installers that have this proviso, but its not like its every month. its every 2 years, so hardly an inconvenience, and if they happen to pick up a fault with a panel in that time, then its probably worth it, provided the fault is covered by warranty.
Old 20-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #2179
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Victoria it is based on the total output of the panels your system will be. Also in Vic if you upgrade panels or inverter or both, you will lose the high Fit and be put onto the current Fit.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #2180
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

6077.4 kW for the first year, Used about 1800 I think, so when the family comes along I should be right..

Ed
Old 26-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #2181
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

finally producing 12 plus kilowatts per day after months of less than 5

suns getting a bit higher so production should start to climb and help pay to run that reverse cycle heater.

2 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #2182
prydey
Rob

twas a nice day today
Old 27-07-2013, 12:03 AM   #2183
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
twas a nice day today
sure was.....19 deg's and no cloud...s'posed to be a change coming again though

Old 28-07-2013, 02:05 AM   #2184
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Quote:
finally producing 12 plus kilowatts per day after months of less than 5

suns getting a bit higher so production should start to climb and help pay to run that reverse cycle heater.

my 3kw system hit 14kilowatts per day for a few days the other week
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #2185
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by comagutsa View Post
my 3kw system hit 14kilowatts per day for a few days the other week
mines been below 10 for the last couple of months......to be expected.

Old 28-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #2186
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Quote:
mines been below 10 for the last couple of months......to be expected.
yeah since they hooked up the panel that wasnt my system has been better than ever
last winter when they installed it, on a good sunny day i only ever got 9 out of it but this winter on a good sunny day its doing 13s, amazing how much 1 panel not hooked in can affect it
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #2187
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

big difference, thats good to hear.....nothing more frustrating and irritating to spend big money on something then have it not perform as touted, only to find it is an installation error would make me very angry.

2 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #2188
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 
Lightbulb Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Just a heads up folks. My solar installer sent me an email regarding a product recall on some Hager switchgear that they were using asking me to check if it was installed, and if so to arrange a time for them to come and replace it free of charge. All good, mine didn't have those models fitted.

Link here from Hager: http://www.hagerelectro.com.au/downl...ecall/6862.htm

Link here from Govco Recalls: http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/in...itemId/1044265

Have a look folks - might save you from some grief.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #2189
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

They just said on the Idiot Box that power prices jumped another 22% in Qld from the 1st of this month. I'm going to invest in a candle manufacturing company.........
2 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #2190
prydey
Rob

got my first winter bill since going solar. not really a lot to write home about. summer was not quite breaking even so i knew winter wouldn't be fantastic. long story short, this time last year i was averaging 17kw/h a day, and now its averaging 12kw/h a day, so its reduced it some at least. wiped about $200 off. still had a $300 bill. better than nothing i guess.
3 users like this post: