Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-10-2009, 08:20 AM   #181
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Production based racing really helped with the durabilty of the cars you buy. I don't know much about what Ford did. But it's clear to see on the Holden 5 litre. The later blocks were full of race proven parts from back in the glory days. You got the strengthend block, A9l rods, double row chain. You end up with a block that will do the 7500 rpm required all day, unlike the early version.

I bet even the famous and very impressive VN heads were a direct result of racing (even though the group A heads had bigger ports again). You can bet you would have got none of that if Supercars were running around since the 70s .

I've thought about it alot...... can you go to production based cars? I'm not sure, it would probably end up going badly with companys releasing race specials like last time. If it was strictly for base V8/turbo 6 models with no mods apart from safety then I think it can work. The Falcons would need to gain a few seconds a lap from somewhere to compete but at least it would give them some insperation.

But yes I hate supercars with their stupid almost auto boxes and thin fake shells and everything else about them , it's full of failure and has been going downhill at a rapid rate since 1993.

P.S a 60km/h limit around flagged areas with crashed cars would be 100000x better than having a safety car at Bathurst

Last edited by greenfoam; 14-10-2009 at 08:25 AM.
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2009, 10:18 AM   #182
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam

I've thought about it alot...... can you go to production based cars? I'm not sure, it would probably end up going badly with companys releasing race specials like last time. If it was strictly for base V8/turbo 6 models with no mods apart from safety then I think it can work. The Falcons would need to gain a few seconds a lap from somewhere to compete but at least it would give them some insperation.
you really think in this day and age, and with the state of the auto industry, that manufacturers would start pouring money into 'factory specials' just so they could win on the race track?? in case you haven't noticed the focus these days is on being green and efficient and enviro friendly, not building petrol guzzling limited production stuff.

manufacturers have no money. why do you think the ve has remained unchanged since its release?

production racing is out there and i think some people need to have a look at how close it ISN'T.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #183
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If people want to know where production class racing sits go and check their webside, all the series details including comprehensive class rules.
With 1 round to go unfortunately nobody has bothered to update the website with ANY results from the first 6 rounds.... so clearly its not a high profile category..

Old 14-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #184
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

bathurst is getting boring.. 1000klms and the winner is deemed by the car that scores good fortune with the pace car. It doesn't matter what class of car you race, it is the rules and regs that make it so.

A few tweaks could spice it up alittle for mine:-
- if you run a car for the season, you must drive that car @ bathurst. Double stacking cars is boring imho. You have one gun team and the 2nd team car (although equipment wise fast enough to win rounds of the sprint format), lapping in times comparable to the leading Fujitsu series cars.
You end up with top heavy contenders and also rans.

-Yellow flag the area of caution, don't bunch the field with the safety car everytime someone drops a hanky on the track. You build a lead, you should have a fair chance of keeping it.

-Remove the compulsory pit stops, if someone wants to run the first 60 laps @ 2:11 to get another 15 laps of fuel economy they should be allowed. A bit of strategy and chancing your arm might spice it up a little.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #185
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by austyphoon
This is what you quoted from his post

When Australia was turning out GTs Monaros and Toranas, race technology[/B] wasn't as extreme as what it is now. That's why we could get race cars [/B] in showrooms so easy... lets face it if you wanted a carbon copy of a phase 3 now, it would be something similar to a GT3 RS, and i don't see that happening

Now tell me how he was talking about open wheel race cars in that paragraph? He was talking about getting the GT/Monaro/Torano race cars into the showrooms.
In the period concerned, the term Race Car refered to Open Wheelers, Production Cars refered to Production Cars and Improved Production Cars refered to Production Cars that had been improved. Try reading any Australian motor racing literature into the 1980's and you will see that. You could also try going to some Historic Races and see what they call Group L, M, O, P, Q & R open wheelers and then look to see what they call Group N, C & A.

Try and pick the race car below. I will give you a hint - it doesn't have a number plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanrz
Tell that to Jim Richards or John Bowe.....If you've ever watched the Classics at Bathurst this past weekend, they were doing lap records nearly every lap on Friday.

Phenomenal stuff.
I bet Joh Bowe would agree with me as he came to prominance driving Elfins and Ralt Racing cars. Try telling your thoughts to Kevin Bartlett (pictured above in the ex Neil Allen car) as it should be worth a laugh.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2009, 11:29 AM   #186
austyphoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
In the period concerned, the term Race Car refered to Open Wheelers, Production Cars refered to Production Cars and Improved Production Cars refered to Production Cars that had been improved. Try reading any Australian motor racing literature into the 1980's and you will see that. You could also try going to some Historic Races and see what they call Group L, M, O, P, Q & R open wheelers and then look to see what they call Group N, C & A.
What's wrong with you? Again I will post what you quoted him.

Quote:
When Australia was turning out GTs Monaros and Toranas, race technology[/B] wasn't as extreme as what it is now. That's why we could get race cars [/B] in showrooms so easy
What open wheeler could be sold in the showroom?????????????

I think most people would refer to any car that races as a race car, you're just trying to cover your mistake.

Just admit you misread his post and jumped the gun and we can move along.
austyphoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #187
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I think most people would refer to any car that races as a race car, you're just trying to cover your mistake.

Sorry I intended to bold the words race car in the quoted blurb and that was a mistake. It should have read:

Quote:
When Australia was turning out GTs Monaros and Toranas, race technolog wasn't as extreme as what it is now. That's why we could get race cars in showrooms so easy
My whole point was that race cars were never available from the showroom floor. They were production cars both on the showroom floor and at the Bathurst 500.

I don't care what most people think. The idea that any old car that races is a race care is a pretty new one.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2009, 02:21 PM   #188
exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONXTV8
Pretty ordinary race for ford !!!If you take Lowndes and Whincup out of it (because they will be with holden next year)the first ford to finish was ninth.Now that can't be good for the sport!!
any one know the race line up next year will it be an all v8 holden sucker car race
exactly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 07:25 AM   #189
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Quote:

I happen to agree with you but there is nothing "wrong" with him.

He's just an open wheeler purist stuck in a tin top forum banging the drum for open wheelers to a deaf audience.

Technically he is right but english is an evolving language. If it is race only its a "race car" these days IMO.

I would like to know his spin on how CAMS allows Mosler in "Production Sports"

And don't get me started on one off Lotus Prototypes in "Production Sports"

Oh yeah and then there is the GT40 kit car.

Just 3 "Production" cars that have never been what most would call "Production"
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post