Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

View Poll Results: Have you had any problems with your DSG Auto, Focus or Fiesta?
Had a problem now its fixed by the dealer 11 15.71%
More than 1 promblem with still ongoing issues 13 18.57%
More than 2 promblems with still ongoing issues 11 15.71%
3 or more problems with still ongoing issues 13 18.57%
Never had any issues with my DSG Auto 22 31.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23-05-2014, 12:14 PM   #181
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2011 Ford Focus Sport, Transmission Shudders :(

may be a design fault inherent in the transmission which would explain why so many are crook
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #182
Nesbit
Starter Motor

After having my clutch replaced after 700km and two rounds of updates to the computer and a clutch relearning my problems are back! I have only done 20,000km car wont find gear smoothly and the gearbox rattles and grinds when going up a hill, down a hill or around a corner. It is a shame because i like the car but the gearbox with all the noises and problems really lets it down.

Back to the dealer next week to see what other bullshit excuse they come up with!

Focus Trend LW2.
Nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2014, 09:29 AM   #183
alokin123

well i have mine back now for around a week and a half, done over 700kms.

When i got the car back it felt like a brand new car. It had the new car smell and everything felt tight and i was impressed. To the dealership's credit they didnt fob me off and did what was required.

They said to give it 1000kms for the clutch to break in and for the auto learning to adjust to my driving style.

I have to say, after 700kms after the repair, I'm not overly convinced by this car. I'll drive it on some occasions and it will be smooth. I'll take it out on other occasions and something just wont feel quite right. I'm not saying i have the same leaking issue again but i would expect it to drive consistently crap or consistently good. Especially as it gets to 60km/h its just very inconsistent.
alokin123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2014, 01:42 PM   #184
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

Took the Fiesta to a different Ford dealer, they've acknowledged the issue straight away and are pulling the clutches out for inspection today.

Might finally be on to a win.
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #185
alokin123

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinijosh View Post
Took the Fiesta to a different Ford dealer, they've acknowledged the issue straight away and are pulling the clutches out for inspection today.

Might finally be on to a win.
Thats if this is actually the ultimate fix for this problem. Good to see they didnt fob you off
Old 04-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #186
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokin123 View Post
Thats if this is actually the ultimate fix for this problem. Good to see they didnt fob you off
The first dealer fobbed us off twice. This time when I took them for a drive to show them straight away said they've seen heaps of them and know the fix.

Apparently most of the powershift issues are caused by the gearbox leaking oil back on to the clutches which causes them to slip and start creating all sorts of issues.

Ford head office's fix is apparently to clean the existing clutches with brake cleaner but they reckon it rarely works.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:35 PM   #187
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This sounds like a bad design issue which will plague the models after warranty expires reducing resale significantly
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2014, 03:03 PM   #188
dan-

i am taking mine in for a look on wednesday..... i wonder if my dealer will be so understanding?
dan- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2014, 04:05 PM   #189
KosCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan- View Post
i am taking mine in for a look on wednesday..... i wonder if my dealer will be so understanding?
I gather you are having problems in this area of transmission shudder.

I have posted my experiences on this forum regarding my experiences - have had mine fixed and have to say it is very nice now.

I have to say that The shudder is not normal - don't accept it.

My previous posts are listed below but you can also find a large volume of information on the web by doing a google search on "ford powershift problems".

Hope you get it sorted out.

My previous posts --

Post 1 --
Will give you my experiences with the gearbox shudder.

Focus Titanium ie. 6 speed powershift petrol engine - now 12 months old.

Had the car for about 6-9 months and shudder appeared. Took the car back and they did a software upgrade. This improved the situation - reverse gear was much smoother, hill stop assist now worked, shudder was still present but not quite as bad.

A few weeks after the software upgrade, engine stopped for no reason and took 3 minutes to re-start. Took car back and they "pulled the gearbox apart and cleaned the clutch" - well, according to what they said.

A few weeks after this, got a call from the service dept to bring the car back as they had parts to be replaced. They hadn't told me about this when I picked up the car last time.

New parts were installed and FINALLY the shudder has disappeared - very nice now and like brand new.

Hope this is the last of the gearbox problems.

I suggest you keep on their backs to fix the problem - a shudder is definitely not normal. I know the difference now.

Have also found that the dealer will avoid giving details of exactly what they have done to the car - will not provide any paperwork and depending on who you talk to and what day of the week it is, you will get a different and vague answer every time.

Hope this helps.
Post 2 --
I suggest that you stand on the principle that the shudder is not normal. As you mentioned, the loan car does not shudder and I would suggest that any demo vehicle that they have also do not shudder. Ask them to show you a new vehicle on their lot that has the shudder - can't imagine there is one.

The powershift gearbox is a bit different compared to a standard automatic but since mine has been repaired - no shudder.

I believe that my dealer had to get Ford to inspect and give the ok to repair the gearbox - guess that has something to do with warranty issues.

As for you having to contact Ford Australia - I have had that suggested to me too. Well, the sign outside my dealer says "Ford" therefore I am talking to Ford - I don't see that it is up to the customer to be doing the dealer's job and having to be in contact with Ford Australia. However, admittedly you may have to take the issue up with them in the end.

I would suggest you keep documentation on all contact and talks with Ford - dates, times, and what said - and finally, if you don't get it resolved then take the issue up with the state office of fair trading.

KosCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2014, 10:23 PM   #190
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

We had our clutch replaced 6 weeks ago under warranty, it has played up a couple of times since...

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #191
dan-

so the dealer quickly identified the problem and agreed to fix it without any argument. as above, the issue was a faulty seal allowing oil to leak onto the clutches, resulting in shuddering. they had to wait a few weeks for the necessary parts and time to complete the work - apparently they have to fix quite a few of them. took them three days, and on the third day they noticed a leak from the big end bearing so they replaced that under warranty as well, taking a further few days. i was on holidays so the time didn't worry me, and they offered me a free loan car if i needed it. i had a chat with the service agent, and as above they were quite vague about the details of what they did until i pressed them on it, and apparently they were only authorised to clean the clutches rather than replace them. it drives a lot better now, but the service agent said to give it at least 1,500km and if it is still shuddering then to bring it back for another look. they reckon if it is still playing up that ford will then authorise them to replace the clutches and do a comprehensive rebuild. seems ok to me. given the dealer is being paid by ford australia to carry out the warranty work it is reasonable that they have to seek ford australia's authorisation before doing the work.

i am happy with the way the dealer and ford australia responded to these problems, but am very disappointed that an 18mo old car with less than 40,000km on the clock needs this sort of work done to it. i will be selling it when the lease expires in january and look to buy a car with a conventional auto - i don't want to risk the cost of a gearbox rebuild once it is out of warranty. it's a shame, as it is a good car to own otherwise, but if i wanted these sorts of risks then i would have bought something exciting like an alfa.
dan- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #192
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

I am over there junk DSG auto, my Ford Customer service officer said there is nothing more than can do for me, as the auto is within ''Fords'' tolerance specs/levels and should we have any issue outside of there tolerance levels take it back to the dealer to be looked at.
We have no confidence in there auto, how can you pull up to a set of lights and have the car roll back, problem is it just doest it out of the blue you never know whats going to happen, I will tell the anyone and everyone stay away from Fords DSG its junk.
Ford will keep telling you its the charismatics of there DSG, who makes a DSG that drives like an old dog box on occasions, drive an earlier model and you will see how bad there DSG's actually are.

2 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2014, 02:44 AM   #193
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My 2012 focus sports just went in for service last week and i told them about the shudder still there after it had software updates previous service, anyway the service manager said he is aware of the problem and ford are involved, they checked the dry clutch and it wasnt up to specks, so he ordered the parts and its going in on 15th for them to take the tranny out and change parts
hopefully all is good, i'm happy i didnt have to argue with them.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #194
Imolator
Quad Cam

I received a letter from Ford today saying that they are extending the warranty on my Powershift DCT to 5 years or 160,000km. This warranty is for any subsequent owner as well which should help resale values.

The extension covers the dual clutches and the seals as well as any software updates.

Its good to see Ford standing behind their product, but its a pity we don't get 7 years which is what they have implemented in the states.
Imolator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #195
alokin123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imolator View Post
I received a letter from Ford today saying that they are extending the warranty on my Powershift DCT to 5 years or 160,000km. This warranty is for any subsequent owner as well which should help resale values.

The extension covers the dual clutches and the seals as well as any software updates.

Its good to see Ford standing behind their product, but its a pity we don't get 7 years which is what they have implemented in the states.
Thats good to know. I knew they were doing this in the USA (albeit 7 years) but this is the first i have heard anyone locally getting it.
So this just covers the the DCT, not the car itself?
Hopefully i will get mine in the mail soon.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:34 PM   #196
Imolator
Quad Cam

Quote:
So this just covers the the DCT, not the car itself?
Hopefully i will get mine in the mail soon.
The extension is just for the DCT.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #197
alokin123

Quote:
The extension is just for the DCT.
Isnt there something in the lemon law in Australia that says something major failing (like the DCT) and repaired under warranty is also covered if it breaks again even if it breaks out of warranty?
Old 04-09-2014, 03:05 PM   #198
Imolator
Quad Cam

Quote:
Isnt there something in the lemon law in Australia that says something major failing (like the DCT) and repaired under warranty is also covered if it breaks again even if it breaks out of warranty?
Well Ford are doing the right thing with the DCT by giving 5 years or 160,000km coverage. This should give some peace of mind for owners having issues.

We don't have a Lemon law like the USA for example.

My 12/2012 build DCT is going great (touch wood) so far, but the warranty extension should make it easier when I trade it at 3 years old.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #199
SpoolMan

We got our letter today, its good to know that they are in a round about way admitting there are issues with there DSG publicly, now thats its out there re-sale will be hit even harder.

I was offered $12,000 trade in on 2012 Sport by a Ford dealer, car cost us $29k.
These Ford dealers know this DSG auto's are going to be forever tarnished, everyday they see how many come through the service dept for warranty.

We are trading ours on a Nissan QASHQAI Ti, Nissan gave us $15k trade-in, only downside there is 2 month wait.
First time in 12 years we never purchased a new Ford, the Focus experience only played a small part in buying outside the blue oval (although had the auto not been an issue we would have kept the car), having a good look at what other brands are offering in technologies and pricing, Ford have some way to go on what is on offer start comparing the Kuga to the QASHQAI, there was no contest.

Copy of the letter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsg.jpg (108.3 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by SpoolMan; 04-09-2014 at 05:49 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2014, 06:10 PM   #200
Imolator
Quad Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan View Post

I was offered $12,000 trade in on 2012 Sport by a Ford dealer, car cost us $29k.
These Ford dealers know this DSG auto's are going to be forever tarnished, everyday they see how many come through the service dept for warranty.
That trade in price is an absolute joke! What is the build date of your car?
Old 05-09-2014, 09:56 AM   #201
alokin123

i got my letter in the mail yesterday.

So if a Ford Dealer is selling this car to a prospective buyer are they telling them that because of a potential problem with the clutch the warranty is 5 years? Why would anyone in their right mind buy a car or any product if you knew there was a major problem with it.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #202
Mgoldbe1
Starter Motor

Received letter also - gives me a little more confidence in keeping the car longer than 3 years now.

I think Ford are also trying to protect the resale value of the auto Focus as no one wants to buy a 3 year old out of warranty car.

Ours has been to dealer 3 times now with the usual issues. Last visit was the replace leaking gearbox seals but they didn't replace the clutches as they were not contaminated. I found the oil leak myself whilst servicing and brought it to the dealers attention. I'm still keen to get replacement clutches before the 5 years is up..
Mgoldbe1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2014, 01:05 AM   #203
SpoolMan

Quote:
That trade in price is an absolute joke! What is the build date of your car?
Its plated January 2012 with 50,000klm on the clock.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:53 AM   #204
JG33

I received a letter as well, had the shudder problem sorted at 45,000k. It's now done 50,000 and so far so good. I was looking to buy a car in 2 weeks time but now I might wait and see how she goes since we have a couple of extra years.
JG33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2014, 12:25 PM   #205
KosCo

My gearbox on 2012 LW Focus Titanium was repaired just over 12 months ago and is still running very smoothly - this was after being taken back 3 times regarding the shudder in the gearbox.

Thanks to those people who have mentioned receiving a letter from Ford on an extended warranty on the gearbox. Haven't seen my letter yet but my car is leased so letter may not come direct to me.

Can I ask if someone could post the full letter on here (block out any personal details).

The lease on my car is up next year and problems with gearbox has shaken my confidence in getting another Ford. However, it appears Ford might be finally doing the right thing in providing this extended warranty.
KosCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2014, 10:51 AM   #206
Thirsty003
Starter Motor

Letter is attached at post #199.
Thirsty003 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #207
alokin123

i might be paranoid but does this apply to only those cars that havent had the issue yet OR does it also apply to those of us who have had the clutch replaced already?
Old 09-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #208
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Partner got the letter yesterday too (2012 Fiesta)
Old 09-09-2014, 02:14 PM   #209
SpoolMan

Quote:
i might be paranoid but does this apply to only those cars that havent had the issue yet OR does it also apply to those of us who have had the clutch replaced already?
Appears to be all DSG owners, I think its fair bet before the 5 years is up every DSG would have had some sort of attention.
It can only go for so long customers being told its OK because thats the characteristics of Fords DSG .

Old 09-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #210
Imolator
Quad Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan View Post
Appears to be all DSG owners, I think its fair bet before the 5 years is up every DSG would have had some sort of attention.
It can only go for so long customers being told its OK because thats the characteristics of Fords DSG .
If its the same as in the USA, it only applies to Focuses running the original seals. 2014 focuses using the newly designed seals don't get the extra warranty extension. So it would appear that the extended transmission warranty is selective.
This user likes this post: