Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 17-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #181
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Without question concequences.... i was the "voice of reason" in my social group... Not every 18 y/o is reckless....
I'm just generalising there, most 18 year olds are "10 feet tall and bulletproof" like a few other members said.

One of my mates said to me "I see you as the fatherly figure in the group" but thats the guy who is switched on, I can comfortably say, 3 of my mates (one questionable here) are/would be responsible drivers. Just three, another of my mates has put his ute through a fence once and spun out twice doing VERY dangerous overtaking maneuvours but he still sits on 140km/h on the highway regardless of traffic, another has spun out being a moron behind the wheel of his VR Statesman, this one also drove under the influence of alcohol, the last one complained that his XG Falcon wouldn't go faster than 180km/h and he goes through tyres every bloody two weeks.

I told them the consequences of their actions, the hoon laws, how if they kill someone they'll be going to jail but the only things they care about is doing burnouts, excessive speed and alcohol.

Now, I'm no goody two shoes myself but I've never, ever done anything to the extent of these morons. They're good kids but when they get behind the wheel... Thats another story.
Old 17-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #182
Sizey
Mk5 Transbulance

I just realised something, well excuse my arrogance if you will and I know it was a side impact but my god that was a hard hit and yet no air bags deployed. Would that not have dislodged the sensors that much in the front to deploy them?

B series xr6 wagon
Now deceased

BF Fairlane ex taxi
Now for more fun
[/CENTER]
Old 17-01-2010, 11:29 PM   #183
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGTP
Today I unexpectedly shed tears after beginning to read this thread. Took me three goes to get though the whole thread - I just kept logging off to try and get myself together. It really knocked me and I can only say that perhaps it is because I am a mother.

One set of parents sat today numb that they had lost their 2 beautiful sons (not one child - TWO) - no doubt so shocked and distressed hoping they will wake up from this horror.

Another mother and father sat in a hospital beside their very badly injured daughter knowing their son was in the morgue.

Two other families sat silently weeping for their sons also.

I cannot get past this. Here are 4 families that have just had all the education they will ever need.

My heart bleeds for them all tonight, as the pain really sets in.

Gaela
Im with you..

I knew 4 kids that got taken out 2 years ago out near Warwick when they tried to do a u-turn infront of a Toll B-Double...

This kinda stuff families never get over and its with them day in day out / especially the parents...

What a sad day indeed, but we will never live in a perfect world unfortunately regardless of how hard we try these kinds of accidents will still happen.
Old 17-01-2010, 11:40 PM   #184
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
I'm just generalising there, most 18 year olds are "10 feet tall and bulletproof" like a few other members said.

One of my mates said to me "I see you as the fatherly figure in the group" but thats the guy who is switched on, I can comfortably say, 3 of my mates (one questionable here) are/would be responsible drivers. Just three, another of my mates has put his ute through a fence once and spun out twice doing VERY dangerous overtaking maneuvours but he still sits on 140km/h on the highway regardless of traffic, another has spun out being a moron behind the wheel of his VR Statesman, this one also drove under the influence of alcohol, the last one complained that his XG Falcon wouldn't go faster than 180km/h and he goes through tyres every bloody two weeks.

I told them the consequences of their actions, the hoon laws, how if they kill someone they'll be going to jail but the only things they care about is doing burnouts, excessive speed and alcohol.

Now, I'm no goody two shoes myself but I've never, ever done anything to the extent of these morons. They're good kids but when they get behind the wheel... Thats another story.
This sort of thing does has me buggered. I was at a BBQ the other weekend when I started talking cars with another guy who was there. Responsible job. Bills to pay. The sort of guy you'd expct to have a vague ideal of what goes on in life. Drove a V8 err, well, won't mention the brand, but he openly admitted to me that he drives like a . His words, I kid you not. I was somewhat taken aback, as most times you expect somebody to defend their driving with their life, but this dude just shrugged his shoulders and said that he'd drive like that until he ran out of demerit points, then go on from there. To be totally honest, I was speechless. The thought that this guy would have kids one day sent a shiver down my spine. But it was a brief insight into where the kids get it from.

In a bizzare sort of a way it was like two cultures colliding. In the interests of our hosts I remained civil to this guy, but in another environment if I caught this guy clipping my kid at 85kph in a suburban sidestreet I'd well.....be up for a somewhat serious charge, put it that way.

Personally, I have no idea what causes this sort of stuff.
Old 17-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #185
xr6turbo2005
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
I knew 4 kids that got taken out 2 years ago out near Warwick when they tried to do a u-turn infront of a Toll B-Double...
that was a terrible accident too. know of the parents on one of the boys.

effected the whole town i think

2008 FPV GT - Auto, Seduce Red, Leather Interior, Herrod Performance Air Box with K&N Pod Filter.

2018 4WD Everest Trend - Blue Reflex.
Old 17-01-2010, 11:43 PM   #186
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Unfortunately situations like this will keep happening no matter how many police resources are out there visible on the road, no matter how many TAC ads are screened on tv, no matter how many speed/red light cameras are installed.

It is about youth, mostly male that think they are ten feet tall and bullet proof, I was a youth once and I drove at speeds like that once, but I got away with it and only god knows how.

Maturity brings responsibility, and I look back on what I got away with, and I curse the idiot P plater that goes flying past me well over the speed limit, but guess what ? I was like him over 20 years ago, and I bet a large majority of the people on here have been guilty of the same.

I don't know what the answer is, we keep asking ourselves every time a tragedy like this happens.
Well said Cameron and yes most of us have done it at a younger age.A good starting point would be a facility to get some of the young blokes out on a circuit on the weekends instead of speeding out on a public road.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
Old 17-01-2010, 11:52 PM   #187
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

At least the teenage girl made it out alive, looking at the crash scene, seems nothing short of a miracle for anyone to survive such a horrific impact. Hopefully she makes a full and speedy recovery.
Old 18-01-2010, 12:03 AM   #188
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
A bit more info from the news report, the car clipped the concrete kerb and lost control as it went through the intersection weaving past another car, they believe it hit the tree at 140kph... makes you wonder how fast they must have been going as the skid would have washed speed off.
I would have a guess and say more then 140kph.

For anybody who has not driven down that section of the road, the pictures don't show the incline of the section of road before the crash.

Basically from South Morang, you turn left on Plenty Rd doing 80kph (the speed limit for that section) past the South Morang library and up a slight hill. From the top of the hill, its a straight road downhill, past Childs road. The road levels off a hundred of so metres before the start of the Plenty Road trams.

At the top of the hill, doing 80, you can roll (ie no foot on accel pedal) towards the Childs road intersection and easily pick up 20-30k. If they were weaving through traffic, they could potentially have been doing more than 140 before they lost control.

I personally don't know the occupants, but I know several people who did. Condolances to all.
Old 18-01-2010, 12:08 AM   #189
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizey
I just realised something, well excuse my arrogance if you will and I know it was a side impact but my god that was a hard hit and yet no air bags deployed. Would that not have dislodged the sensors that much in the front to deploy them?

That car may not have side air bags ! i have a bf xr6 too it has no side air bags

Last edited by ieatsports_cars; 18-01-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 18-01-2010, 12:24 AM   #190
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatsports_cars
That car may not have side air bags ! i have a bf xr6 too it has no side air bags
Correct.. No side bags unless optioned..

Its a mess.. I dont think ive ever seen a BF in such a bad shape..
Old 18-01-2010, 12:33 AM   #191
gocruzin
Ford tragic

I thought it was a BA xr6
Old 18-01-2010, 12:35 AM   #192
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

i agree mate ! in the pictures it looks like the front of the car wasnt damaged enough to make the front air bag too go off ! iam in total disbelief that this acciendent occured ! i must admit i speed in my car ! this has made me think twice about speeding !
Old 18-01-2010, 12:38 AM   #193
Wally
XP Coupe

Parent's worst agony.

Rather than offer solutions, forensically dissect the cause, blame this and that, etc, I propose we pause for a moment and say a little prayer of sympathy for the poor buggers, their families and friends; it costs nothing and no one will ever find out you are sophiscated enough to have feelings.
Old 18-01-2010, 12:54 AM   #194
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

http://www.vicstreetutes.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=1978

theres another post some guy on there was saying the driver was drunk and tryed to run down someone at the party
Old 18-01-2010, 01:31 AM   #195
barra265t
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Correct.. No side bags unless optioned..

Its a mess.. I dont think ive ever seen a BF in such a bad shape..
Very shocked to see no airbags deployed. At the same time, haven't ford engineers put in a great effort to ensure the car cuts off its fuel in an impact, saving the surviving occupant..
Old 18-01-2010, 01:35 AM   #196
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocruzin
I thought it was a BA xr6
BF the wheels and bumper show that it is.
Old 18-01-2010, 02:07 AM   #197
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra265t
Very shocked to see no airbags deployed. At the same time, haven't ford engineers put in a great effort to ensure the car cuts off its fuel in an impact, saving the surviving occupant..

Front airbags will not deploy in a side or rear impact, only frontal. The force of collision has to be within a certain angle of the front to trigger front airbags. If frontal airbags deploy in a rear or side airbag they may in fact cause needless injury to the occupants. Therefore, there is no need for them, they will make no positive difference and the manufacturers design the system so they will not deploy.

I went to two crashes today, one side impact and one rear end, despite significant force and extensive vehicle deformation neither the rear end damage or side damage car had airbags deploy, both with front damage did.

By the way, a bit off topic but worthwhile. Do not race yellow lights as that is how the side impact happened. Now the 18 year old has to live with the fact that he gave a 27 year old spinal injuries and may not walk again, at least they are both alive. Also he will not have a license (he has a colourful driving history).
Old 18-01-2010, 02:45 AM   #198
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

This is depressing.

Had the driver survived he should have been shot dead. Not being a smart alec, but... his kind of mentality makes me sick.

Good advice geckoGT.

Last edited by Falc'man; 18-01-2010 at 02:59 AM.
Old 18-01-2010, 02:56 AM   #199
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Parent's worst agony.

Rather than offer solutions, forensically dissect the cause, blame this and that, etc, I propose we pause for a moment and say a little prayer of sympathy for the poor buggers, their families and friends; it costs nothing and no one will ever find out you are sophiscated enough to have feelings.
+1
at this juncture I think thats all we should be doing. These guys were just kids like we all once were. We've probably all taken significant risks in our lives. We were just the lucky ones that survived to tell the tale.

May they rest in peace.
Old 18-01-2010, 03:19 AM   #200
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiadude
+1
at this juncture I think thats all we should be doing. These guys were just kids like we all once were. We've probably all taken significant risks in our lives. We were just the lucky ones that survived to tell the tale.

May they rest in peace.
Well said. Norm mentioned earlier that 'these are not accidents' etc. That someone is always to blame. Of course, this is basically always true. As an aviation fan (and given everyone seems to be an armchair expert on that industry now days...) i often get quetions from people about safety issues in the av. business. Did you see that airline crash yesterday etc etc. I always say the same things....well i'll await the investigation but 'someone stuffed up didn't they'. Sometimes they view that as a wierd viewpoint, and talk about 'fate' and 'luck' and feeling sorrow for the victims. I feel sorrow alright but they are gone now, we need to work on making sure others dont' die the same way. THis is something aviation has got very good at. The road safety setup...not so much no....

In this case however, esp given the young guys involved and the circumstances, i'm not sure what can be done. Its so depressing to see this sort of thing happen, and really such a waste of potential. Think of what these young people could have achieved in their lives....now its cut short because of an act of obvious stupidity. In these cases its pretty obvious what has happened re the cause, and while its not good to talk ill of the dead its any wonder alot of people come monday morning at the water cooler will be doing just that. I just hope others who partake in this sort of nonsense can learn something from it....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 18-01-2010, 05:54 AM   #201
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
(he has a colourful driving history).
Term often heard in court!

A recent SA event:-
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...3-2682,00.html

In relation to this thread, I can see targetted ITS and potential license-age changes, 1.5-2 years (NSW).
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 18-01-2010, 08:33 AM   #202
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

On Triple M this morning they mentioned 3 P platers were done for speeding within 10k's of the crash site last night including one who was clocked at 165kph in a 70 zone. Crazy!
Old 18-01-2010, 08:36 AM   #203
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by left
I'm not picking the guts out of your comments but think it might be worth mentioning those other people killed were "known to police" and - importantly - also running a red light. It's not a dangerous road.
Yes, 1 was known drug dealer, and the other was unlicenced and driving an unregistered vehicle, my point is the accident was in close proximity.
Old 18-01-2010, 08:48 AM   #204
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

http://www.news.com.au/national/poli...-1225820652996
I hate to say it but by next weekend this will be old news for the teenagers on the roads and it will happen again and again.......................
Old 18-01-2010, 08:51 AM   #205
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

I think as a part of the process of getting a licence, that people should be made to work in an accident or brain injury ward at a hospital to see first hand the results of this sort of thing.

Nothing etches your mind like personal first hand experience.

Such a waste. I feel so deperately sorry for their poor families.
Old 18-01-2010, 08:52 AM   #206
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark351
On Triple M this morning they mentioned 3 P platers were done for speeding within 10k's of the crash site last night including one who was clocked at 165kph in a 70 zone. Crazy!
Just heard the same on CH 9 Today show, i find it hard to belive they where not aware of what happend a short distance away, yet they still go out and do this stuff.....sorry, no answers here... used:

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 18-01-2010, 08:57 AM   #207
partzkid

mill park/south morang has been a trouble spot for stupid driving behavour for a while now. drive up plenty road past 10pm on a weeknight around maccas area and you'll always see some idiot in their vt-vz s pac or ba/bf xr6/xr6t being a tool.

partzkid
Old 18-01-2010, 09:01 AM   #208
The Snout

What's a 15yo girl doing out at 2am anyway.
Old 18-01-2010, 09:08 AM   #209
Thornie
Off smelting

Those pics are enough of a drive home to me to the point of disturbance, now i remember why i don't drive like a moron.
Old 18-01-2010, 09:08 AM   #210
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark351
http://www.news.com.au/national/poli...-1225820660351
Closed Thread