Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Should Australia invest in nuclear generated power?
Yes. Stop wasting natural resources & stop creating greenhouse gases. 193 77.82%
No. The risk of another Chernobyl is not worth it plus what to do with the nuclear waste? 55 22.18%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 15-06-2006, 01:22 PM   #151
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
With the news now emerging that the Government tried to cover up the recent gas leak at Lucas Heights, we should ask ourselves, can we trust the Government? (any Government) to run such a dangerous buisness as nuclear power.
The Government has expressed no interest in supplying nuclear power generated electricity. It would be provided by the private sector.

So the question which comes to bear... can we trust a pofit-focused entity to run such a dangerous business as nuclear power?
Old 15-06-2006, 07:33 PM   #152
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

at a guess that would be no and no.
Old 16-06-2006, 01:17 PM   #153
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
I'm no big city economist but im fairly confident you cant "create" money at your own whim. i.e.

Govt: "we need to print twice as much money to pay for this wind farm"
Wind farm supplier: "well then consider the price doubled"

A $100 note doesnt mean its worth $100. It's worth whatever amount of "x" you can swap for the $100 note...
The government here prints money on demand and has done so for many decades. In the US, it has happened for almost 100 years. They don't go about advertising that the printing presses are running 24/7/365.24. But that is going off topic.
Old 16-06-2006, 01:33 PM   #154
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I am not sure that we should go down the nuclear path. But there sure are a lot of stories coming out at the moment about leaks and cover ups. I wonder if someone in the "press" is pushing a borrow here.
Old 16-06-2006, 01:45 PM   #155
Miss_XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
The government here prints money on demand and has done so for many decades. In the US, it has happened for almost 100 years. They don't go about advertising that the printing presses are running 24/7/365.24. But that is going off topic.
you are correct they sometimes print money 24/7 in australia
Old 16-06-2006, 01:50 PM   #156
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_XR6
you are correct they sometimes print money 24/7 in australia
Dont read too much into this. Lots of money printed is to replace old notes/coins. Mind you, I wish I owned one of them money machines!!
Old 16-06-2006, 01:57 PM   #157
red_hotxr6
Banned

Smile

I heard this morning on the news that their were 4 separate incidents in the last week involving nuclear material here in australia. Only caught part of it any body hear anything.
Old 16-06-2006, 02:00 PM   #158
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
I heard this morning on the news that their were 4 separate incidents in the last week involving nuclear material here in australia. Only caught part of it any body hear anything.
Yeah, that is what I was refering to. www.news.com.au has some stories on it. Just seems a little coincidental (SP?).
Old 16-06-2006, 02:03 PM   #159
red_hotxr6
Banned

Cool

HA HA good one at least we are on the same wave length.
Old 16-06-2006, 09:32 PM   #160
Falcon Freak
Banned

This is a MUST visit website about Chernobyl

FF
Old 17-06-2006, 01:00 PM   #161
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
Incidents like this happen every week. It's just the media deciding to shed some light now due to the debate about nuclear power heating up.
Old 17-06-2006, 01:56 PM   #162
red_hotxr6
Banned

You would think this particular area would be run like a well oiled machined, instead off people making mistakes.
Old 17-06-2006, 02:44 PM   #163
AUIIIXR8
Formerly AU2XLSV8

Super site on chernobyl there mate. It took a while but i've gone right through it except the 9 part vids at the end.

Very interesting take on it all.

Past
EL 6 S/C - sold
AUII XLS V8 Stroker - sold
99' Laser (runabout) - sold
BA Fairmont - sold
AU III XR8 220 - sold (so should have kept this one)
AU III XLS Tickford 6 - sold

Formerly AU2XLSV8
Old 17-06-2006, 03:06 PM   #164
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Incidents like this happen every week. It's just the media deciding to shed some light now due to the debate about nuclear power heating up.
Was the pun intended?? :voldar02:
Old 17-06-2006, 06:44 PM   #165
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2XLSV8
Super site on chernobyl there mate. It took a while but i've gone right through it except the 9 part vids at the end.

Very interesting take on it all.
What grabbed my attention was that the Soviet authorities demolished a number of the evacuated villages. Nobody can prove how many people were affected by this disaster if one can't prove how many people actually lived in that area before 26 April 1986. Typical communist tactic - hide the truth from the people.

FF
Old 18-06-2006, 12:27 AM   #166
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Was the pun intended?? :voldar02:
No it wasn't Outback, I just noticed it when I read your post with the relevant bit in red!!!
Old 19-06-2006, 02:02 PM   #167
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Printing money is fine. Remember - the money is worth very little, it's the face value that makes it worth anything. Printing money is fine when there is underlying economic growth which necessitates it.

A bank is a good example. Let's say the NAB finishes its year end accounts and books a profit to the balance sheet. In doing so - money is being "created".. i.e. they've taken 100 bucks and turned it into 110 bucks. But the transaction is just a bunch of numbers ina computer database.

So yeah... they print money on demand. Demand for cash. Demand for notes and coins. Demand for money is a different concept. You cant generate money on a machine - only the bits of metal and plastic which represent money. Very different concept.

You can just print a few billion dollars to pay for a power station. You need to HAVE that money in the first place - then you print the notes required to represent it... but im pretty sure paying someone to build a power plant would be done electronically
Old 27-06-2006, 08:18 PM   #168
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
With the news now emerging that the Government tried to cover up the recent gas leak at Lucas Heights, we should ask ourselves, can we trust the Government? (any Government) to run such a dangerous buisness as nuclear power.
SPOT ON. Who can guarentee 100% compliance with safety regulations in a nuclear power station? Who can guarentee no shortcuts in engineering design by private companies? Who can guarentee 100% upkeep of staff training and maintenance of nuclear facilities? What only the Russians have human error? Three Mile Island anyone? There will always be accidents no matter how sophisticated we think we are its just a matter of how much you pay for those accidents,not as in $$$.
cheers
Bill.
Old 27-06-2006, 09:02 PM   #169
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

I saw a doco on Chernobyl during the course of the weekend and what I saw startled me. Conservative guesstimates have placed the death toll at Chernobyl at 500,000 souls. It cost the Soviet government 18 billion roubles (in 1986 that was US$18 billion) to clean up as much as they have up until now. The cleaning crews were 20 seconds or so away from Chernobyl going critical and triggering a nuclear explosion which would have wiped off half of Europe. And turdbrick Howard wants to bring this threat to our doorstep. Not whilst there is a heart beating in this little black duck's chest.
Old 27-06-2006, 11:19 PM   #170
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
I saw a doco on Chernobyl during the course of the weekend and what I saw startled me. Conservative guesstimates have placed the death toll at Chernobyl at 500,000 souls. It cost the Soviet government 18 billion roubles (in 1986 that was US$18 billion) to clean up as much as they have up until now. The cleaning crews were 20 seconds or so away from Chernobyl going critical and triggering a nuclear explosion which would have wiped off half of Europe. And turdbrick Howard wants to bring this threat to our doorstep. Not whilst there is a heart beating in this little black duck's chest.
after reading your post i think id rather have my own wind fan and generator in my back yard . one or 2 in every suburb wouldnt go astray though either . or solar power on every house .
Old 28-06-2006, 07:59 PM   #171
TassieF6
BF Tornado

A safer and more enviromentally friendly alternative that has been
proposed is the use of Thorium as a fuel instead of Uranium.
Thoriums radioactive waste life is only 500yrs as compared to Uraniums
waste life of 10's of thousands of years, as well, accidents like Chernobyl
are impossible with Thorium. There is also no by product like Plutonium as there is with Uranium. In fact a Thorium reactor can be used to burn a quantity of weapons grade Plutonium and many other nuclear wastes.
The added bonus is that Australia has the largest supply of Thorium in the world and finally Thorium doesn't need to be enriched like Uranium which is an energy & resourse intensive process, so would therefore be a cheaper cost alternative as well. Food for thought anyway.
Old 28-06-2006, 08:52 PM   #172
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassiexr8
A safer and more enviromentally friendly alternative that has been
proposed is the use of Thorium as a fuel instead of Uranium.
Thoriums radioactive waste life is only 500yrs as compared to Uraniums
waste life of 10's of thousands of years, as well, accidents like Chernobyl
are impossible with Thorium. There is also no by product like Plutonium as there is with Uranium. In fact a Thorium reactor can be used to burn a quantity of weapons grade Plutonium and many other nuclear wastes.
The added bonus is that Australia has the largest supply of Thorium in the world and finally Thorium doesn't need to be enriched like Uranium which is an energy & resourse intensive process, so would therefore be a cheaper cost alternative as well. Food for thought anyway.
To correct you on some terms you use. The correct term is half life, not the waste life.

For the boffns to sign off on thorium as a fuel, many years of research will be needed before any sort of consensus is reached.

Whilst thorium doesn't need to be enriched, it still needs refinement from the ore state it is found in and that is still an energy intensive process
Old 29-06-2006, 11:57 AM   #173
TassieF6
BF Tornado

Cosmosmagazine Thorium reactors is a good read on the two thoughts for thorium reactors. India is also moving fast in developing thorium reactors as well seeing as they have the second biggest supply. It would be a pity if Australia got left out seeing as nuclear energy is so high on our agenda.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:19 PM   #174
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you understand the design of Chernobyl you would realise what happened there wouldnt be possible in a modern western Nuclear power station. Its like comparing a Lada to a Merc, because Lada is **** that makes all cars ****? No of course not.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:21 PM   #175
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Yes for nuclear energy with nuclear weapon producing capabilities.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:20 PM   #176
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Here is an open question to anybody that wants to give an answer..... Where will the waste be dumped/stored?? In the sates that beneifit from the power stations, or ship it ""outback" where nobody cares about????
Old 10-11-2006, 05:39 PM   #177
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Here is an open question to anybody that wants to give an answer..... Where will the waste be dumped/stored?? In the sates that beneifit from the power stations, or ship it ""outback" where nobody cares about????
Plenty of open space near Pine Gap going to waste :
Old 10-11-2006, 05:46 PM   #178
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Plenty of open space near Pine Gap going to waste :
Not true. PG covers a large area and is very close to Alice.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:53 PM   #179
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Not true. PG covers a large area and is very close to Alice.
Uh, that was sarcasm Jack, meaning that all those seppos are a waste of space
Old 10-11-2006, 06:06 PM   #180
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Uh, that was sarcasm Jack, meaning that all those seppos are a waste of space
I didn't take offence....... But, I work with those seppo's. And they nothing like a waist of space....... Cheers.
Closed Thread