Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 08:36 PM   #16651
slowsnake
Banned

Default Re: Covid 19 -

If it was a pretty young lady with a rack and a mini skirt they would of had a meeting to buy the committee binoculars for 2022
Old 04-11-2021, 09:08 PM   #16652
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
32.X% fully vaccinated now.

Over 900 cases yesterday.

We should get to 6.5 million fully vaccinated by the end of the month.

Still hoping for 35% by the end of August.

55% by the end of September,

70% by the end of October,

80% by the end of November.

Shots per day drop after 70%.

Still hoping for unrestricted internal travelling for Christmas holidays.

Still hoping for several OS travel options in January.

Got my passport expiring in September. Would be wonderful to renew it with a mark for full vaccination.

See what happens

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
YT, no chance unrestricted internal travel as far as I can see looking ahead.
Depends on jabs right around the country and Prems decisions on border openings.

OS travel options ? wouldn't even think about it for Jan.

I'd just work on a NSW holiday mate when if the time comes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator
Just heard that, for VIC, if you are under 40 and had already booked in for AZ (before the Pfizer annoucement), then you are given a choice on the day whether you want the AZ or Pfizer. But that ends tomorrow. So if you book after that date, you get given what you booked in for.

to the 15,000+ Victorians who cancelled their bookings when Pfizer was announced. Now they go to the back of the queue.

Think you'll get the first..... not a chance on the 2nd!
Just goes to show... there is ALWAYS a chance

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
This user likes this post:
Old 05-11-2021, 12:22 AM   #16653
zilo
BANNED

Had a friend who came to grief on the weekend.

They had no power in Mt Eliza due to trees down on power lines etc,...so she couldn't charge her fone.

Her and hubby went out for counter meal...hubby has different usb plug to her so charged fone in the car.

She couldn't get in cause her whole life is on the fone.

No vax certificate...no QR code...no entry..

Of course you can go to MyGov, link to medicare and print off your vax certificate and put it in your wallet, then sign in manually anywhere...

But try telling a millenial to do anything anywhere except a phone app...

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
Old 05-11-2021, 12:44 AM   #16654
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Had a friend who came to grief on the weekend.

They had no power in Mt Eliza due to trees down on power lines etc,...so she couldn't charge her fone.

Her and hubby went out for counter meal...hubby has different usb plug to her so charged fone in the car.

She couldn't get in cause her whole life is on the fone.

No vax certificate...no QR code...no entry..

Of course you can go to MyGov, link to medicare and print off your vax certificate and put it in your wallet, then sign in manually anywhere...

But try telling a millenial to do anything anywhere except a phone app...
or she could have used his phone to access her my gov/medicare and shown her cert and/or also at that time downloaded it on to his phone

ive managed to access mine and download it on the work phone as work requested and at my age i aint no tech savy millenial

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
4 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2021, 08:03 AM   #16655
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
or she could have used his phone to access her my gov/medicare and shown her cert and/or also at that time downloaded it on to his phone

ive managed to access mine and download it on the work phone as work requested and at my age i aint no tech savy millenial
The wife and I have each other's digital vax certs in the Apple Wallets just for this sort of situation.
4 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2021, 08:38 AM   #16656
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
The wife and I have each other's digital vax certs in the Apple Wallets just for this sort of situation.
Great idea, my wife and I being old school have a few printed copies stashed in vehicles and caravan just in case the phone/s cark it.
5 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2021, 09:26 AM   #16657
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The science today comes from a US study comparing the immunity offered by previous infection against that provided by Moderna and Pfizer vaccines.

I'll spare you the details so here is the executive summary:

Previous infection with SARS-CoV-2 or COVID-19 vaccination can provide immunity and protection against subsequent SARS-CoV-2 infection and illness.

Among COVID-19 hospitalisations involving adults aged ≥18 years whose previous infection or vaccination occurred 90–179 days earlier, the adjusted odds of laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 among unvaccinated adults with previous SARS-CoV-2 infection were 5.49-fold higher than the odds among fully vaccinated recipients of an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine who had no previous documented infection (95% confidence).

There is some other information to be gleaned from the body of the report which I'll summarise here - this report was based on more than 201k hospitalisations between January and September this year so it's a decent sized data set.

Laboratory-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection was identified among 324 (5.1%) of 6,328 fully vaccinated persons and among 89 of 1,020 (8.7%) unvaccinated, previously infected persons.

In this study, the benefit of vaccination compared with infection without vaccination appeared to be higher for recipients of Moderna than Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, which is consistent with a recent study that found higher vaccine effectiveness against COVID-19 hospitalizations for Moderna vaccine recipients than for Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine recipients. In this study, the protective effect of vaccination also trended higher for adults aged ≥65 years than for those aged 18–64 years.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2021, 09:42 AM   #16658
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post

But the two factor authentication will send you a text to your flat phone with the 6 digit code as it will sense a log in from a new device......damn technology!!!!

6 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2021, 09:45 AM   #16659
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

.. and another small Washington study that followed 100 cases at a hospital in detail.

Of the 100 patients - 34 died and 85% of them had at least one pre-existing co-morbidity:

15 were under 50 of whom 3 died;
29 were between 50-64 of whom 5 died;
36 were between 65-79 of whom 17 died; and
20 were over 80 of whom 9 died.

66% of the deaths were male;
53% of the deaths came from a congregate living facility (some kind of care facility);
67% of the deaths already had CVD; 50% had hypertension; 35% had diabetes; 32% were obese (defined as a BMI >35); 32% had CKD and 26.5% had OLD.

The average length of stay for survivors was 11 days and 7.5 days in those who died.

Older patients were more likely to die than be discharged, with the age groups 65-79 years and 80-97 years having odds of death of 4.7x and 4.0x respectively, compared to those 50-64 years old. Older age was associated with decreased odds of ICU admission.

Patients who were admitted from a congregate living facility were significantly less likely to be admitted to the ICU (OR 0.16) or be intubated (OR 0.09) however congregate living was associated with five fold increased odds of death (OR 5.40).

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 05-11-2021, 10:23 AM   #16660
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2021, 10:50 AM   #16661
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Can we please put a 'local content' requirement on the trolls in this thread?
Old 05-11-2021, 12:07 PM   #16662
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

NSW/VIC
NSW records 249 cases in the current period and the 10-day average growth rate decreases to 1.0155 (from 1.0315) while the actual line remains above the predictive trend line and is trending sharply upward again.

VIC records 1,343 cases in the current period and the 10-day average growth rate increases to 1.0159 (from 1.0116) while the actual line remains above the predictive trend.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2021, 12:14 PM   #16663
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
Can we please put a 'local content' requirement on the trolls in this thread?
Is Covid not global now?
Old 05-11-2021, 12:37 PM   #16664
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Is Covid not global now?
That's the problem; because Covid is global it's easier to import conspiracy theories than come up with our own 100% Australian conspiracy theories.

I appreciate you have been doing your best in that regard Bossxr8
Old 05-11-2021, 01:32 PM   #16665
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT November 4th 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

1,537 new cases for Australia and 13 deaths so the CMR is 1.013%.

140 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.402%.

The UK had 36,559 cases yesterday and 214 deaths for a CMR of 1.536%.

88,178 new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,867 deaths sees CMR at 1.637%.

Other notable points:

Global cases pass 249M, the last 1M in 2 days;
Global daily cases pass 500k for the first time since 17th September;

Laos (1,170);
Slovenia (4,511);

Croatia (6,310) - the previous high on 10/12/20;
Slovakia (6,713) - the previous high on 31/12/20;
Greece (6,784);
Ukraine (27,377); and
Germany (35,662) - the previous high on 14/4/21;

.... recorded new highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Hungary and Azerbaijan move above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period and no countries drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 05-11-2021 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:19 PM   #16666
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Let me make it clear that 'open discussion' is a widely misused term that actually refers to a discussion where there are no rules governing turn-taking, topic adherence, or (indeed) any other constraints on the discussion.

In reality, no such thing actually exists (nor can it) within a legal and moral framework such as the one this country generally ascribes to uphold and on a moderated forum such as this one, we can (and will) apply standards of reasonableness on top of the legal and moral frameworks.

I've repeatedly said that if you don't like it then you can stay out of this thread (or for that matter this entire community) but whining endlessly about it is going to get you exactly nowhere. The inter-web is full of unmoderated forums covering every topic known to man where extremist/fringe/looney/illegal/immoral/etc. topics can be discussed without littering this one.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2021, 02:34 PM   #16667
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
That's the problem; because Covid is global it's easier to import conspiracy theories than come up with our own 100% Australian conspiracy theories.

I appreciate you have been doing your best in that regard Bossxr8
I don't post CT. Just studies from medical experts that have been published.

If you choose to go straight to huh duh conspiracy theories, with no other rebuttal, then you have already lost the argument.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:16 PM   #16668
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2021, 03:38 PM   #16669
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It feels like an ambitious timeline from an outsider’s viewpoint:
Quote:
…Premier Mark McGowan says Western Australia will open up its borders when 90 per cent of the state's population aged above 12 years old is fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Source
Old 05-11-2021, 03:44 PM   #16670
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Mate you have got to learn to take a joke!
Quote:
With respect while you may believe the above, it's actually not for you to say.

The people you are trying to convince will judge your evidence. I suspect they remain unconvinced.
Old 05-11-2021, 04:16 PM   #16671
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Mate you have got to learn to take a joke!

With respect while you may believe the above, it's actually not for you to say.

The people you are trying to convince will judge your evidence. I suspect they remain unconvinced.
Couldn't care less mate. But you can do better than hurr durr conspiracy theories, when I haven't posted any.

And you can also do better than posting pot shots, and then using the old cowardly "you need to learn to take a joke". I remember when racists used to say the same thing to aboriginals. It's weak.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2021, 06:24 PM   #16672
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Couldn't care less mate. But you can do better than hurr durr conspiracy theories, when I haven't posted any.

And you can also do better than posting pot shots, and then using the old cowardly "you need to learn to take a joke". I remember when racists used to say the same thing to aboriginals. It's weak.
You're calling me names now, wow I'm not sure how much more of this I can take....

My conspiracy theory comment was directed at CoupeKing (luv you Coupe) when you decided to become involved.

Quote:
Is Covid not global now?
You don't like my response and have gone to water

Perhaps don't make the smart a** comment in the first place?
Perhaps stop making everything about you, it wasn't.
Perhaps take a break from the internet if you believe eveyone is out to get you.

Now please have the last word.....
Old 05-11-2021, 07:41 PM   #16673
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A plandemic.

Y'all been had.
3 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2021, 08:24 PM   #16674
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
A plandemic.

Y'all been had.
I see you, and I raise you one.... Event 201, held on the 18th October 2019.

On a serious note, ever since SARS and MERS, experts in the field have been calling that the next pandemic was not far off. He wasn't the only one.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:11 PM   #16675
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The bosses have finally decide that we are allowed back from Monday

Only problem is my house is a bit of a construction zone to fix the water damage done to my ceiling from my evap cooler back in January.

Funnily enough I have my evap cooler service scheduled for Friday. I hope I'm not that unlucky that once the water damage is fixed it gets ****ed after that

But at least it means I won't be able to be in the office much next week which sucks because I'm starting to get back on the "tools" as they say where as I did the much of the grunt work on stuff before lockdown so wasn't doing as much coding as I need to do now.

Hopefully I can get everything sorted next week and then back to the office full time from the 15th to finish the year strong. **** you Covid
Old 05-11-2021, 09:18 PM   #16676
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
The bosses have finally decide that we are allowed back from Monday

Hopefully I can get everything sorted next week and then back to the office full time from the 15th to finish the year strong. **** you Covid
I dunno, I quite enjoy getting up at 9, rolling over to the lounge room and logging on, have the TV on in the background, check a few emails, play with the dog, work on the car , cook a decent lunch, then actually do a bit of actual work, then knock off whenever without feeling being watched.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
3 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2021, 01:22 AM   #16677
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Funnily enough I have my evap cooler service scheduled for Friday. I hope I'm not that unlucky that once the water damage is fixed it gets ****ed after that
Evap coolers don't last that long, metal rusts, plastic sags. Sure you can keep one runing for a decade, but parts are a rip off for what they are and so little people are interested in repairs, or spending summers on roofes (esp 2 storey), every summer there's huge waiting lists and price rises.

In short, never bother repairing evap coolers, due to parts pricing and limited repairers always just replace the unit and dropper at the first sign of problems, and before the summer heat.

I'm not saying that as a past owner, but an ex fridgey. Most fridgies don't want to touch them but I was rare in the fact I'd give anything a go. I always regret it. Never again, too much hassle, multi fan speed controller got complicated, diagnosis hard, some brands had horrendous spare parts pricing, very secretive with repair manuals as they want all customers to only phone them for repairs (and charge $200 hr with huge wait lists in summer).

By the time I had my own business I just used to subcontract an evap installer company just to replace the whole system if I saw dropper metal rust or sagging brittle plastics rather than try repair the motor/speed controller for $1k.

Evap coolers are disposable as they're full of flimsy overpriced parts
3 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2021, 02:13 AM   #16678
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep also spent some time working for an outfit fitting evaps in country south west wa
we fitted heaps but if we had to repair them boss had us remove the unit and head back to the town we were based in to wait repair
most the time ended up going back and fitting another than repairing the removed one and usually not buy the same crew that removed it

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 06-11-2021, 03:30 AM   #16679
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm weighing up getting new pads vs getting a whole new unit since it's so old.

But the important part is we can go back work which is great. Covid restrictions of course but these fabric masks are very good
2 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2021, 04:42 AM   #16680
blue sleeper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
covid, mers, sars anthrax, are not found in nature... they are man made. (biological weapons)
Anthrax is most definitely found in nature......

Have: 1JZ Soarer dump pipe, exhaust, coilovers , 17" mags
6 users like this post:
Closed Thread