Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 20-10-2021, 01:22 PM   #16201
slowsnake
Banned

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Anything happening in Russia Russell?
Just watching ABC news, they mentioned climbing cases of covid there?

Billy.
Old 20-10-2021, 01:29 PM   #16202
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
I would imagine that Victoria will trend down over the next month while NSW will trend up.

Victoria is in Mockdown for the last 6 weeks
Yep. However, the last couple of evenings there has been noticeably less cars on the road, inner east suburbs. Even the city has been quieter than usual in terms of cars. I suspect the price of fuel may have had a better "stay at home" effect than CHO orders.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 20-10-2021, 02:05 PM   #16203
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats the go with isolation rules at the moment? Friend of mine that got tested last satday, result came back positive on Tuesday. So basically, symptoms started last Thursday, got tested Satday, confirmed Tuesday. When asked how long she needs to isolate for, she said "I should be good to go on the weekend".....ehhhh what? Obviously keen for a catch up but I'm not so sure!! Not worried for myself, but moreso what if I bring it back to my parents.

Checking on the vic gov site:

"If you test positive we will contact you. You will need to self-isolate until the Department of Health tells you it is safe to stop - usually 10 to 14 days."

That seems a bit open ended. So DHHS can suggest any number of days now?

Interestingly enough, she thinks she caught it from one of her outdoor meetings with a couple of others, friend and friend's mother. She gave the mother a hug when leaving. Mother also tested positive, but friend negative.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

This user likes this post:
Old 20-10-2021, 02:18 PM   #16204
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Whats the go with isolation rules at the moment? Friend of mine that got tested last satday, result came back positive on Tuesday. So basically, symptoms started last Thursday, got tested Satday, confirmed Tuesday. When asked how long she needs to isolate for, she said "I should be good to go on the weekend".....ehhhh what? Obviously keen for a catch up but I'm not so sure!! Not worried for myself, but moreso what if I bring it back to my parents.

"If you test positive we will contact you. You will need to self-isolate until the Department of Health tells you it is safe to stop - usually 10 to 14 days."

Interestingly enough, she thinks she caught it from one of her outdoor meetings with a couple of others, friend and friend's mother. She gave the mother a hug when leaving. Mother also tested positive, but friend negative.
Not sure which DHHS page you're looking at, T3, but this page says:

Quote:
How long does isolation last?
If you have COVID-19 you need to isolate for at least 14 days.

The Department of Health will let you know what date your isolation ends.
Not sure if that helps, as it is potentially conflicting advice, but my understanding is that you need to spend 14 days isolating after returning a positive test result.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 20-10-2021, 02:21 PM   #16205
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Not sure which DHHS page you're looking at, T3, but this page says:

Not sure if that helps, as it is potentially conflicting advice, but my understanding is that you need to spend 14 days isolating after returning a positive test result.
DHHS

https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/g...sults-covid-19

Rides (past and present)

Old 20-10-2021, 02:27 PM   #16206
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Getting correct info from Vic DHHS is like a dogs breakfast; I know three guys from work who now have covid and each one of them will tell you a different version of information from DHHS as to their requirement of what to do.
Its just like if DHHS information is being ad-lib
2 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2021, 02:28 PM   #16207
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Yes, frustrating that they have conflicting information.

But, I feel for the folks keeping the pages updated; the rules change frequently, the same information is recorded in multiple pages across multiple sites.

Irrespective of that, I think it's safe to say that your friend should not be out this weekend!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 20-10-2021, 02:29 PM   #16208
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

T3 - I’d be giving that case a wide berth, this is your anti-vaxette friend, right? She may be longer in recovery…

As to Slowsnake’s question, the ABC news touched on it today - Russia has topped 1000 deaths per day. Low vaccination rates are held to be a big part of it. Old people (tongue-in-cheek; just over ‘60s) are locked down from October 25th rather than a total lockdown as that apparently damaged Vladimir Vladimirovitch’s approval ratings a bit last time.
Old 20-10-2021, 02:31 PM   #16209
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Same with masks at the moment. At work we wear them depending on head count in the room, if you are in or outside, or if you have had 1 or 2 jabs...how can it go wrong.

Would have been better to just say keep them on for another month or so at work..done.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 20-10-2021, 02:37 PM   #16210
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
T3 - I’d be giving that case a wide berth, this is your anti-vaxette friend, right? She may be longer in recovery…

As to Slowsnake’s question, the ABC news touched on it today - Russia has topped 1000 deaths per day. Low vaccination rates are held to be a big part of it. Old people (tongue-in-cheek; just over ‘60s) are locked down from October 25th rather than a total lockdown as that apparently damaged Vladimir Vladimirovitch’s approval ratings a bit last time.
Do approval ratings really matter to him at all?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2021, 02:37 PM   #16211
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Anything happening in Russia Russell?
Just watching ABC news, they mentioned climbing cases of covid there?

Billy.
Russia has a 10-day average of 31k cases per day which is well above the 90th percentile of 25k and 5 of the last 7 days have set new records. That's also well above the 18k / day average for September and also (obviously) the highest rolling average they have had since the pandemic began.

Unfortunately, we know their mortality figures have been grossly understated but even so their CMR of 2.795% (across 8M cases) is well above that of the USA and UK.

Various estimates put the real figure at well more than the 225k 'official' number with ROSSTAT (the Soviet stats bureau) reporting their number as almost 300k (2 months ago) and the deputy PM saying that 81% of the 473k excess deaths for 2020 and 2021 (to the end of May) were COVID deaths.

Who'd know what to believe but we do know this much based on one month of hard data for one month (July 2021):

Officially reported deaths: 23,349
ROSSTAT - deaths of people with COVID: 50,241

.. but then we start with the spin:

Of the 50,241, ROSSTAT claimed 38,992 as directly related to COVID - still well above the official numbers but then they also said that:

- a further 5,206 has COVID as the 'likely' main cause;
- 1,449 had COVID as a contributing cause; and
the remaining 4,844 weren't related to the virus even though they had it at the time of death.

So, if we use the WHO guidelines then the real figure for that month was 45,397 (excluding the 4,844) which is still almost twice the official figure, which in turn would lend some credence to the view that the real number is likely somewhere near 450k deaths and a rough cross-check with the estimated 81% of excess deaths up to May this year (383k) suggest it could be even higher given the almost 3M cases since the beginning of April 2021.

Even if we settled on 450k that would make the CMR 5.5% which only leaves a handful of countries worse like Ecuador (6.4%), Mexico (7.5%) and Peru (9.1%).

Worth noting that the current excess deaths in Russia to the end of September is in the range of 770-880k (as identified by The Economist) so if we worked on the same 81% quoted by the deputy PM that would be between 620-712k COVID deaths. or a CMR between 7.69% and 8.83%.

Observatio Facta Rotae

5 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2021, 02:53 PM   #16212
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Do approval ratings really matter to him at all?
I would say yes. Popularity matters a lot to him; he’s genuinely popular and wants it to stay so. Ask any Russian friends who migrated post-2000, how many people they know have his portrait hanging.

(This is an indirect way of saying that I believe their past Covid death rates were probably not accurately recorded…)
2 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2021, 04:06 PM   #16213
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

It should be noted that Russia is by no means Robinson Crusoe when it comes to under reporting mortalities related to COVID. The data below is based on excess mortality data for each of the countries.

India is widely considered to have underestimated by at least 0.6M with even the most conservative estimates putting the real numbers at 1.2M rather than the 452k official number. Clearly, the current 1.32% CMR was never going to be correct given the massive outbreak earlier this year and even the 3.5% that 1.2M deaths gives might still be light.

The USA is probably light by close to 120k deaths given how some States have reported and that would move their CMR from 1.63% --> 1.957%.

We know Indonesia have under-reported and the conservative estimates put the real numbers at 445k rather than the 143k official number. That would move the CMR from an already poor 3.37% to more than 10% and some commentators think the numbers might be as high as 1M deaths.

We know Pakistan have under-reported and the conservative estimates put the real numbers at 300k rather than the 28k official number. That would move the CMR from a worse than average 2.23% to more than 20% although it's clear case numbers have been under-reported too.

Likewise with China. The official 4.6k figure, which we all know is fantasy, is at least 120k and maybe as high as 1M. The official CMR is already bad at 4.85% but there would also be lots of cases not reported given the official case numbers are less than the estimated mortalities!

Others to be at least suspected of seriously under-reporting mortalities and/or cases include: Bangladesh, Turkey, Mexico, Egypt, Iran, Iraq and most African countries.

Indeed, given that this data is based on the excess mortalities 2020 and 2021 YTD and the fact that countries like Australia have actually recorded an overall reduction in mortalities, the real numbers could be worse.

On that topic, our excess mortalities for that period are -3.5k or so, despite the 1,500 COVID deaths. It's perhaps an unintended consequence of the lockdowns but in simple terms:

- ~800 people didn't die from Influenza;
- ~200 people didn't die on our roads;
- ~ 2k people didn't die from other respiratory diseases; and
there were less heart attacks and strokes.

Observatio Facta Rotae

5 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2021, 04:52 PM   #16214
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is getting really difficult to believe any media these days, I used to trust ABC but they have gone too far left, even for me - SBS is a good alternative but not as much local content as others
3 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2021, 05:31 PM   #16215
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
It is getting really difficult to believe any media these days, I used to trust ABC but they have gone too far left, even for me - SBS is a good alternative but not as much local content as others
I’ve found the ABC to have become increasingly “preachy” and absorbed in slightly off-centre agendæ that must reflect particular concerns or experiences of key staff. There’s the instructive guides; “What to do when your child vomits on the neighbour’s carpet”, the kangaroo court podcasts that skew legal procedure and jeopardise outcomes, the relentless pro-vaccination stories. I’d not be surprised if they started sending out foot-soldiers to doorknock with offerings of Vaxtower magazine.

Aside from all that, I have one wondering about the “fortress states” (particularly WA) - are people within genuinely still willing, as a majority, to pursue indefinite insularity versus the options of external travel? Or are there measurable voices of dissent?
2 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2021, 05:39 PM   #16216
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There must be some dissenters in W.A. surely, we never hear anything
Old 20-10-2021, 09:42 PM   #16217
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Common sense has prevailed and non essential retail now open in ACT from Friday.

Bunnings is gonna get wrecked over the weekend. People have been driving out to Goulburn
Bunnings isn't essential in ACT?

In NSW everything is essential apart from restaurants, pubs and holidays it seems.
Old 20-10-2021, 10:01 PM   #16218
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Probably all busy manning the machine gun posts on the borders
Old 20-10-2021, 10:04 PM   #16219
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quite an interesting evening out at middle park beach tonight. Didn't think we were officially out of lock down yet, but there were restaurants serving food and alcohol with patrons dining outside.

Heaps of "cruisers" on Beaconsfield (aka hoon) Pde. Obviously all cashed up during lock down and ready to let go, cops were picking them off one by one, with quite a few pushing the boundaries. Can't say I didn't enjoy listening to the rumbles!

Rides (past and present)

2 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2021, 10:30 PM   #16220
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Bunnings isn't essential in ACT?

In NSW everything is essential apart from restaurants, pubs and holidays it seems.
They shut them down to the public after 19000 check ins in one day during lockdown

Only tradies were allowed but otherwise it was click and collect or delivery. Don't recall it ever being quiet at my local one.
Old 20-10-2021, 11:16 PM   #16221
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nope, most of us are pretty happy with our life style over here at the moment, free to go where ever, when ever, no masks.

There are some rumblings because they can't catch up with family from over east, but that's collateral damage.
Although I do feel sorry for people who haven't seen family for 12 months or more, but unfortunately that's the way it is.
Either enjoy our freedoms, or risk the bug and go into lock downs, quarantining, masks etc.

To be honest, our health system is a mess and couldn't cope if there was a flu outbreak let alone Covid, and the government is super scared of it getting into the indigenous communities.

We're nearly at 80%, but the indigenous are only at about 20%, need to be taken by the hand and taken in for a shot.
7 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2021, 11:37 PM   #16222
slowsnake
Banned

We/us residents of WA live normal pre-covid lives, nothing here has changed since our 1st and only lockdown in March-April 2020!
It only affects travellers from arriving from Intrastate and International travellers, by air or sea!
You would not know that there is a covid pandemic happening on our planet, not from WA anyway, it seems we have been missed, it really does not affect our lives here, unless of course we want to leave our safe haven!

Last edited by slowsnake; 20-10-2021 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Autospell
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2021, 12:29 AM   #16223
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Nope, most of us are pretty happy with our life style over here at the moment, free to go where ever, when ever, no masks.

There are some rumblings because they can't catch up with family from over east, but that's collateral damage.
Although I do feel sorry for people who haven't seen family for 12 months or more, but unfortunately that's the way it is.
Either enjoy our freedoms, or risk the bug and go into lock downs, quarantining, masks etc.

To be honest, our health system is a mess and couldn't cope if there was a flu outbreak let alone Covid, and the government is super scared of it getting into the indigenous communities.

We're nearly at 80%, but the indigenous are only at about 20%, need to be taken by the hand and taken in for a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake
We/us residents of WA live normal pre-covid lives, nothing here has changed since our 1st and only lockdown in March-April 2020!
It only affects travellers from arriving from Intrastate and International travellers, by air or sea!
You would not know that there is a covid pandemic happening on our planet, not from WA anyway, it seems we have been missed, it really does not affect our lives here, unless of course we want to leave our safe haven!
Enjoy your Covid free lifestyle while you got it but the virus will eventually come, by then most of you should be vaccinated in preparedness for it.
Then you guys will know what it is really about having it over there.
Old 21-10-2021, 12:33 AM   #16224
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Quite an interesting evening out at middle park beach tonight. Didn't think we were officially out of lock down yet, but there were restaurants serving food and alcohol with patrons dining outside.

Heaps of "cruisers" on Beaconsfield (aka hoon) Pde. Obviously all cashed up during lock down and ready to let go, cops were picking them off one by one, with quite a few pushing the boundaries. Can't say I didn't enjoy listening to the rumbles!

Well that is just more proof people are sick of being locked up.
Old 21-10-2021, 12:34 AM   #16225
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Probably all busy manning the machine gun posts on the borders
We never did defeat those emus.

Quote:
McGowan is more popular than Putin right now, and just as ruthless when it comes to covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Well that is just more proof people are sick of being locked up.
And that's the reason why. Hardly been locked up, restrictions ended about May last year, with about 4 short lockdowns or mask periods since.
About 1100 cases total, zero deaths this year. About 9 deaths early on and they were cruise ship victims in the first few months.

Last edited by oldel; 21-10-2021 at 12:39 AM.
4 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2021, 12:36 AM   #16226
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Enjoy your Covid free lifestyle while you got it but the virus will eventually come, by then most of you should be vaccinated in preparedness for it.
Lucky bugger me!
But I would sooner be in Sydney, my home town, at the moment living in Perth WA is just another coincidence in my long life, get my 2nd Pfizer shot on Friday.

And if you were me and I were you, I would be congratulating you, not be condescending!...as I said..Lucky bugger me....just by coincidence only!

Last edited by slowsnake; 21-10-2021 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Autospell
Old 21-10-2021, 12:43 AM   #16227
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well, there's no point living in isolation like we do if you're never going to maximise it's benefit when there's a pandemic.

Just think, if we listened to the drongos in the past, or listen to them now, we would have thrown away the benefit of isolation and got no extra help when needed either. The Feds, other states and their populations, leaders, Palmer, international right wing leaders, followers, troublemakers, naysayers, economic 'chicken littles' etc need to be told to shut the hell up.

Every day.

Every damned day.
4 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2021, 01:45 AM   #16228
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Lucky bugger me!
But I would sooner be in Sydney, my home town, at the moment living in Perth WA is just another coincidence in my long life, get my 2nd Pfizer shot on Friday.

And if you were me and I were you, I would be congratulating you, not be condescending!...as I said..Lucky bugger me....just by coincidence only!
Nah just pointing out the inevitable but you are lucky being where you are, no fn picnic being locked down for so long as we are in Melbourne Burbs.

What most people on the forum do not realise "you can only tolerate so much for so long before you explode" think the proof is with our protests and peoples disobediance as of late; even our doughnut man has realised this and now back peddling to open us quickly with the mandated jabs vaccination plan.

Cheers.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2021, 06:27 AM   #16229
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post

a couple of my kids have been absouletly adamant they are moving to W.A.

and they are pizzed at us coz my wife and I (before we were married) lived in Mosman Park - 'why did you leave' they ask
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2021, 07:03 AM   #16230
slowsnake
Banned

Geez Trev, change that damn avatar will ya, its freakin me out!.lol.
Closed Thread