Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #1561
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

yep! I've found that the accounts run later when they are in credit.....but I dont mind

but Rastus you will be awaiting your next account with baited breath.....way better than dreading the damn thing

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #1562
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

The Christmas period has been a killer for us. We have heaps of the missus family here and usage has been going through the roof on overcast days. Just have to keep my mouth shut lol
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #1563
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How often are you cleaning those panels there poppa_smurf? Seems like it's a regular things based on your posts?
Old 28-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #1564
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hard to say mate ......but it seems to be roughly (very roughly) once a month

pretty dusty and hot up here so I think I'm cleaning them more than the norm......the angle doesn't help, my neighbour has them on his house roof with a far greater angle and they seem to be a lot cleaner than mine

but his are not producing anywhere near as much as mine

the dust seems to really cling to these panels certainly through the summer, even when it rains they don't appear "clean"

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 28-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #1565
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post
How often are you cleaning those panels there poppa_smurf? Seems like it's a regular things based on your posts?
like poppa said, it is hard to tell, but we haven't cleaned ours yet and in 43 days they are averaging around 22kw a day on a 3kw system
by not cleaning ours they don't seem to have lost too much - plus we have a small tree from the neighbours putting a shadow across one of them

no doubt cleaning works, but it may not be too critical depending on how dusty and dry it is
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #1566
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67 View Post
like poppa said, it is hard to tell, but we haven't cleaned ours yet and in 43 days they are averaging around 22kw a day on a 3kw system
by not cleaning ours they don't seem to have lost too much - plus we have a small tree from the neighbours putting a shadow across one of them

no doubt cleaning works, but it may not be too critical depending on how dusty and dry it is

WTF your getting 22kw a day out of your 3kw system i have hit a max 16kw a day out of my 3kw system and its been like that for a few months hasnt gone any higher ...while in roof i saw the panels are on the same angle as my tiled roof line (facing north)
should they be at a different angle???
oh and a bit more of our great WA synergy power company....while on holidays we exported 720 units of power and got a whole $60 credit ....gotta love getting back 8.4c for every unit you export to them ...bloody ripoff
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #1567
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

recommended angle for Perth is 26 degrees .....facing due north

depending on how far off this "ideal" you are will determine your output.....I would expect around 18kws - 20kws during summer.....all perfect would possibly give greater results

8.4c per kilowatt is simply not right

Old 28-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #1568
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We had to contact them several times to get an account from Origin. It seems when they owe you they take their time to send it. Anyway when we had to contact them for the last account we also said we wanted the credits that we had deposited into our account ( you can get quaterly payments or yearly)since we decided to get it once a year.
The amount was for around 14/15 mths since we had solar installed. It only took them a couple of days and we got enough to register the wife's BMW and 6mths on my EB (around $1500.00). Good extra pickup but the main thing is we havn't had a bill since we installed solar which saves us around $3,000.00 to $3,500.00 a year which is what I wanted. Anything extra is just "cream" on top.
Old 28-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #1569
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post

depending on how far off this "ideal" you are will determine your output.....I would expect around 18kws - 20kws during summer.....all perfect would possibly give greater results

ahhh sweet i will check the angle when i fly back home
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

10.567sec for the strip
Old 28-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #1570
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by comagutsa View Post
WTF your getting 22kw a day out of your 3kw system
it did sound like a lot when i typed it . . . . and obviously it was
next time i will divide our usage by 67 days, not 37
we are getting 14.5 kw on average in sunny melbourne
and exporting 11.5 kw on average
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #1571
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

hahah and here i thought mine was just way under performing

10.567sec for the strip
Old 28-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #1572
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67 View Post
it did sound like a lot when i typed it . . . . and obviously it was

Hah Hah Hah......thought it was a bit high but it is not unknown

next time i will divide our usage by 67 days, not 37
we are getting 14.5 kw on average in sunny melbourne
and exporting 11.5 kw on average

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus
We had to contact them several times to get an account from Origin. It seems when they owe you they take their time to send it. Anyway when we had to contact them for the last account we also said we wanted the credits that we had deposited into our account ( you can get quaterly payments or yearly)since we decided to get it once a year.
The amount was for around 14/15 mths since we had solar installed. It only took them a couple of days and we got enough to register the wife's BMW and 6mths on my EB (around $1500.00). Good extra pickup but the main thing is we havn't had a bill since we installed solar which saves us around $3,000.00 to $3,500.00 a year which is what I wanted. Anything extra is just "cream" on top.

well done, no bill with "freebies"....gotta love that

Quote:
Originally Posted by comagutsa
ahhh sweet i will check the angle when i fly back home
no worries....you can get brackets to alter the angle but the price is not attractive

Old 30-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #1573
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
make sure you dont have to pay tax on this income! govco will get you any way they can
Old 30-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #1574
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

yeah rang the company who installed mine and yeah they said it is a bit low
they want me to download the sunnyboy explorer to see whats its doing and they will send someone around when im home next

10.567sec for the strip
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #1575
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it's hot here damm hot. system still making 26kwh per day. no hot weather drop off so far. gotta be happy with that! (4kw system)
Old 04-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #1576
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep in for a week of it apparently, looking at 44 degs according to the news,.......hate to break it to them but we've had between 38 and 45 for the last week as it is

funny how if it is not in the smoke it doesn't matter

been getting around 22kw's - 23 kw's......household is using roughly 6 kw's per day.......3.5 kw system ....

evaporative ducted system is handling the heat just fine, haven't had that QLD humidity down here yet.....so I'm a happy chook

bit frightened though, SHE wants ducted reverse cycle placed in shortly......YIKES!!!!.....my neighbour uses up to 30 kilowatts per day and he directly attributes that to his air con

had a look at the panels yesterday, they are filthy again.....but while I'm getting these figures they can stay dirty

Old 04-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #1577
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

had a look at the panels yesterday, they are filthy again.....but while I'm getting these figures they can stay dirty
What causes your panels to get so dirty so quickly? Ours have been up for 15 months and are still perfectly clean.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #1578
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bulldust......

.................................................. .................................................. ......................................no .....not you .......but the air is full of it around here!.....angle of the things as well I guess

I will have to figure out a way of cleaning them easier.....maybe a set of sprays over the top

too damn old to be clambering about on ladders now.....and I cant get the wife up there

Old 04-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #1579
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ouch, be covering everything aswell and breathing it in. No good.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #1580
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep! north wind here today so god help the asthmatics

just hope those firebugs dont get any ideas, gets going today there will be no stopping it

Old 05-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #1581
prydey
Rob

hit 45 degrees in adelaide yesterday. my 3.8kw system produced a touch over 23kwh. pretty happy with that since i thought performance would have dropped off substantially in such high heat.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #1582
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
hit 45 degrees in adelaide yesterday. my 3.8kw system produced a touch over 23kwh. pretty happy with that since i thought performance would have dropped off substantially in such high heat.
yes, this is flying against my theories as well.....I'm producing maximum at the moment.......hit 48.7 here yesterday and still produced 22.90 kw's

Old 08-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #1583
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

3kw system here been producing roughly 20 to 22kw a day do notice a little drop in performance on the real hot ones,great getting a bill when they owe u or as in my last one i owed 71Cents ,think they would have just put it on the next bill,its been avg just over 1kw an hour since install in may
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #1584
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We got our bill for the last three months.

We used $300 of power and received credit of $312

So, $600 generated from our 3.2 system

Not too bad I thought
usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #1585
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is this your first account since install or is this a credit from a few quarters

Old 09-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #1586
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

first full account

last one was 50/50 plus reconfig stuff etc...
usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #1587
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ah okay.....pretty good result

jmack.....always good when a plan works out....well done

Old 17-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #1588
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:

Poppa, just out of curiosity - where did you get the figures for optimal orientation of the solar panels? I'm not questioning them, just wanted to compare my setup with what is the ideal. There's no way known I'm gonna move the buggers!

If you've got the figures at hand for Brisbane, then post away mate! Mine are facing NNW at roughly 30 degrees.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #1589
Rastus
XY,XC,XEx2,XA,EF,AU,BA,XY

Supershifty, typically the optimal orientation for your panels is due north for day long results.
NNW, like mine, gives you a little less in the morning, but slightly more in the afternoon. So if where you are typically has foggy mornings then what you have is better. But, if the weather typically changes for the worse in the afternoon it's not as ideal.
As for pitch of the panels, they say the ideal pitch for year around production is equal to the latitude of your place. So Brisbane is ideal at 27.5 degrees. A flatter pitch would give you a little more in Summer, whereas a steeper pitch like you have should give better results in winter when the sun is lower.
Old 21-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #1590
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Interesting the comments regarding the panel angels, as I knew they had to be set up to certain figures, but I didn't know what.
When old matey came to measure my roof, he said they will go there, and the angle is pretty good.

So, on average my system gives me around 22kw a day, and produces for between 12 to 14 hours per day. I thought it might be a bit low for a 4.2kw system, but seems to maintain consistency.

I found this on a calculator, and was surprised to see the variance in the angle.

Ed