Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-03-2015, 09:10 PM   #121
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: most distance you've covered in a day, and in what

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Bit worrying when people boast of doing well over a thousand kilometers in a day on their own...please don't expect us to believe you were fresh as a daisy when you got out at the end of the day.

In my opinion I'd rather drive with someone doing 160 on the highway than someone sitting dead on the speed limit who's been driving on their own for ten hours or more.
Fatigue is a far bigger killer than speed, and the interesting thing about fatigue is how it sneaks up on you. It's also different to being "tired". The saying is that you will know you're "tired", but you won't know that you're "fatigued"...it truly sneaks up on you without you realising it, and it takes a second person to notice what's happening.

Fatigue kills far more people but is a "silent killer" as it can't be measured after an accident.
Driving a truck at 100 KM/H is not as bad as a good car, because you are more involved with having drive it.

But a good car things just get so boring.

If one drives long distance all the time, you get better at it.

Fatigue is different for sure I would just cruse along just taking it easy at 240 KM/H on my ZX10 for about 100 KM then I noticed I was about 1ft out of where I wanted to of been coming through a corner once, so, right I back off and just plod along around 160 or so and that was the next town any road.
I just road to where I felt comfortable and never push my self.
If you try to push your self, then you are most likely going to end up dead.

I hear people claiming of getting from A to B in X time, that's totally insane and a recipe for sure disaster and if you don't know the road never ever don't even think of it.

Driving a good car 140 to 160 is fine as it keeps you alert but there are some spots you just back off as you know it's best not to, as there are danger spots around where cars come across the highway etc.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2015, 09:32 PM   #122
snailracing

Auto 1460km Cape Town to Pretoria, Sadly in a Camry Rental car. In NZ the biggest I've done in Christchurch to Invercargill (About 565km). Just don't have the land mass in NZ to do big drives!
snailracing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2015, 10:01 PM   #123
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Sydney to Bundaberg, overnight in 14 hours. In a VK commodore.

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2015, 10:25 PM   #124
Timbo_021

Byron Bay to Melbourne in an old clapped out van with a dead battery... Had to push start the ****** every time we stopped for fuel :p.
Timbo_021 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-03-2015, 10:28 PM   #125
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Last June I drove Geelong to Singleton with one fuel stop. Solo in the EL Monty.

Great fun, 11.16 to Singo, 11.01 return to Geelong.

Never felt fatigued at all, still, nothing happened either to test it.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2015, 10:29 PM   #126
superyob
Banned

Airlie beach to Brisbane in ZD Fairlane. Not sure how far that is...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2015, 11:22 PM   #127
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

1800kms in 24 hrs

Cairns Melb in 42 hrs

Cairns Perth...4 days

All the above in a Mack Superliner, speed limited @100mh
Old 22-03-2015, 01:18 AM   #128
phild12s131e
Retired & grumpy

3 memorable ones.
1. 1972, XY GS 351 manual, 36 gall tank. Mt Gambier to Adelaide Friday afternoon, 3 passengers to drop off, a few things to do and pick up someone else then on to Mt Panorama. 1700 Km approx. Not strictly same day but certainly less than a day in hours and only I drove. Oh for the days of 50c per gallon.
2. While working in Alice Springs in 1980 I did a few runs (some at night) to and from Adelaide. Back then it still had about 900km of dirt from the Border to Pimba. Best run, and solo, was 17.5 hours to Willunga SA. Car was 1975 Range Rover. Left Alice about 4am to get to dirt around daylight and in to destination mid evening.
3. Most recent one Alice to Darwin about 4 years ago, so no unlimited stretch then. Car was BF MKII RTV 6cyl auto, quite loaded in canopy, so not a high speed tourer, 13.5 hours solo. Could have been quicker but around 120 kph couldn't make Alice to Tennant without stopping on standard tank. Tennant to Darwin mostly around 125, all legal.
Old 22-03-2015, 01:52 AM   #129
phild12s131e
Retired & grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
Darwin to Camooweal in a 3.3L XC Falcon just sitting on 100 KM/H but had to go to Tennant Creek for a new tyre.
I can't remember how many KM that is or how many HR.

Some old Gin tried to stop me for a lift right out in the no where, no way did I fall for that trick, with the bros some where hiding to jump out ! I had no room for them anyway.
Sounds familiar, but others do similar things.
One day trip from Adelaide to Alice with the old dirt ahead of me from Pimba North to the Border I thought a passenger would be nice. There was a female hitch-hiker just outside Pt Augusta and I started to slow but changed my mind because of the big Alsatian accompanying her. And the Alsatian wasn't a Frenchman. Stopped one evening in Elliott to stretch legs and get snack out of fridge. Approached by local to see if I would go in to pub and buy him and mates a drink and bring outside. Time to leave, quickly. For them and other incidents I've mostly preferred solo drives and more picky about stopping places.
Old 22-03-2015, 02:17 AM   #130
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mordialloc Vic to Hawker SA. ~1150km in a D22 Navara. Stopped for fuel in Stawell, Nhill, Murray Bridge, Peterborough. Drove home that night via Mildura.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2015, 11:07 AM   #131
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Central Qld to Adelaide, 2700 k's in 27 hours (yes technically not a day). Filled up petrol just inside Qld just after midnight, down thru nsw, vic and then onto adelaide. First time I havestepped foot in 4 different states in one day. Slept a good 16 hours after arriving.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #132
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phild12s131e View Post
Sounds familiar, but others do similar things.
One day trip from Adelaide to Alice with the old dirt ahead of me from Pimba North to the Border I thought a passenger would be nice. There was a female hitch-hiker just outside Pt Augusta and I started to slow but changed my mind because of the big Alsatian accompanying her. And the Alsatian wasn't a Frenchman. Stopped one evening in Elliott to stretch legs and get snack out of fridge. Approached by local to see if I would go in to pub and buy him and mates a drink and bring outside. Time to leave, quickly. For them and other incidents I've mostly preferred solo drives and more picky about stopping places.
Well I do believe what you have said is true.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2015, 08:33 PM   #133
Pube Fury
Starter Motor

Norseman WA to Murray Bridge SA in a ZH Marquis.
Pube Fury is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2015, 10:36 PM   #134
XBGTFGGTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NZ Christchurch in the South Island to Auckland in the North Island in one day including ferry crossing in V8 Explorer. 200lts of fuel and a good drive, you can sit on 140-160 in them and they go around a corner.

XA GT Manual
XBGT Manual
XC GXL
1982 XE S-Pac V8
2011 F6 Velvet
2011 GT Manual Black/Gold
2020 GT500KR
FG-X Sprint
F150 Shelby
XBGTFGGTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post