Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #121
Crazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Agreed. If they were going to release it any time soon they'd need to have mules out and about all over the place right now.

Not to mention roughly $150-$200 Million to cover R&D, tooling and engineering costs, which is money that FoA doesn't have right now.

Could it be just a top-hat redesign? just whack a new body on the old LWB platform.

They will also save heaps in economies of scale and a simplified production line when they start using FG parts. Remember at the moment, they have to stamp different bodies, different interiors, install different transmissions, engines, etc for the FG sedans compared to the BF wagons...
Crazed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #122
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed
Could it be just a top-hat redesign? just whack a new body on the old LWB platform.

They will also save heaps in economies of scale and a simplified production line when they start using FG parts. Remember at the moment, they have to stamp different bodies, different interiors, install different transmissions, engines, etc for the FG sedans compared to the BF wagons...
I can't see that being much cheaper.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #123
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

Won't happen....

I think the wagon's day's are numbered.

When sales increase over the next 12 months on Sedan and especially Territory, I think the wagon will be killed off in preparation for Focus.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #124
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:

It would still require a large R&D investment to develop, and to add the FG's front end architecture to the car. It would still cost a fair bit.

I recall back before the BA days, when talk of a 'redesigned' AU first started filtering out, the question was raised as to whether or not the AV as it was termed would have new doors. The answer was no, that it would carry through with the AU doors and passenger cell because doors cost around $50 Million each to develop from scratch. In 2001 dollars. So I'm told.

So consider that you'd need 2 doors that would be unique to the wagon to be developed, and that would account for $100 Million by themselves, if what I was told is correct.

And yes, I think the wagon's days are numbered. Come Euro 4 cut off next year, it will be gone.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 10:28 AM   #125
Crazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
It would still require a large R&D investment to develop, and to add the FG's front end architecture to the car. It would still cost a fair bit.
So consider that you'd need 2 doors that would be unique to the wagon to be developed, and that would account for $100 Million by themselves, if what I was told is correct.

And yes, I think the wagon's days are numbered. Come Euro 4 cut off next year, it will be gone.
Back in those days, the window frame and door were one pressing. On the FG the window frame and door pressing are seperate, so you would only need to change the window frame to suit the wagon - which would be relativley inexpensive.

If you look at the rear doors of the FG (ignoring the window frame) you can tell that they have been desgined to fit a wagon, look at the beltline - it stays pretty horizontal which suits the longer glasshouse of a wagon, this is especially noticeable as many modern cars have a high raising beltline - like a wedge.
Also look at the way the rear doors dont really curve into rear quarter panel, the door stay straight, which suits the longer squarer rear section of a wagon... this also explains how the area where the rear door meets the c pillar and rear quarter panel looks a little awkward on the sedan.

But in the end, the Falcons and Commodores arnt selling in the volumes they use to, so maybe the wagon days are numbered. But the fact that a car with a 11 year old body, 4 speed auto, no trim and engine options and retails for almost 42 grand can still sell up to 400 a month says there is a market. Add in the fact its closest competitor sold 1715 units last month also shows that the market is there.

As the market looks more for practicality and products which are lifestyle orientated, I can see wagons becoming more relavent than sedans. Heck, last month nearly 40% of Commodores sold were wagons.

Maybe Ford is onto something though, aim the Territory at one spectrum and the Mondeo wagon at another, and let the Falcon wagon wither away.
Crazed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 10:43 AM   #126
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Back in those days, the window frame and door were one pressing. On the FG the window frame and door pressing are seperate, so you would only need to change the window frame to suit the wagon - which would be relativley inexpensive.

If you look at the rear doors of the FG (ignoring the window frame) you can tell that they have been desgined to fit a wagon, look at the beltline - it stays pretty horizontal which suits the longer glasshouse of a wagon, this is especially noticeable as many modern cars have a high raising beltline - like a wedge.
Also look at the way the rear doors dont really curve into rear quarter panel, the door stay straight, which suits the longer squarer rear section of a wagon... this also explains how the area where the rear door meets the c pillar and rear quarter panel looks a little awkward on the sedan.

But in the end, the Falcons and Commodores arnt selling in the volumes they use to, so maybe the wagon days are numbered. But the fact that a car with a 11 year old body, 4 speed auto, no trim and engine options and retails for almost 42 grand can still sell up to 400 a month says there is a market. Add in the fact its closest competitor sold 1715 units last month also shows that the market is there.

As the market looks more for practicality and products which are lifestyle orientated, I can see wagons becoming more relavent than sedans. Heck, last month nearly 40% of Commodores sold were wagons.

Maybe Ford is onto something though, aim the Territory at one spectrum and the Mondeo wagon at another, and let the Falcon wagon wither away.
You're infatuated with wagons aren't you!!
The Falcon wagon sells for a host of different reasons than the commodore hatch does. They are dynamically "different" types of vehicles, catering to different markets.
Add the Territory sales to the Falcon sales and compare them with the commodore sales for a better understanding of that broader market.
The commodore hatch sells to people not really wanting a wagon, but the extra space is handy.
This is why i think that there maybe some rationalization in the commodore ranks.... the sedan and hatch are so similar its hard to justify having both across the entire range... and as we've seen the hatch hasnt really meant any increase in total sales to holden.

Last edited by 4Vman; 08-07-2009 at 10:58 AM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 01:43 PM   #127
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarPoint
In June, one in four Commodores and Statesmans sold was a V8. Last year, the average was one in five. That is, of the 6570 Commodore sedans, wagons, utes and Statesman and Caprice models sold in June, 1682 were V8s.
http://carpoint.com.au/news/2009/lar...ve-years-15729

Does anyone know what the split between Falcon I6 / I6T & V8 sales was for June? It’d be really interesting to see how it compares with GMH’s result. I know that the new V8 next year is likely to result in a drop in I6T sales, but overall it may have the potential to increase sales more than a new Wagon variant.
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #128
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

China is the highest selling car country now.

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-n...0710-df2n.html
Old 10-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #129
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
China is the highest selling car country now.

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-n...0710-df2n.html
Rightly so, they are the country with the largest population in the world.
How long before the Western world starts crying about the Chinese using up all the worlds oil and pushing up demand and prices etc.?
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #130
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
Rightly so, they are the country with the largest population in the world.
How long before the Western world starts crying about the Chinese using up all the worlds oil and pushing up demand and prices etc.?
We would have to go back in time.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #131
XR8putts

Heh good point. Perhaps I should've have asked when the cries will get louder.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #132
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
Heh good point. Perhaps I should've have asked when the cries will get louder.
Probably about 1.60 a litre. lol