Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #121
Thornie
Off smelting

nice my grandparents still have a mint condition framed wall poster of waltzing matilda on their wall.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 10:02 PM   #122
jf100

G'day, riverbend track was green, lack of track prep, and use, track prep back then was non existent, you'd do water burn out back up and do vht chirp to get the tires sticky. When terry otoole and roly built the track they ran out of money or rather were fully extended on the finance front, owing money left right and centre, it was never really completed to their vision, but they got it operational to try and get some money in, then the bloody weather let them down, the whole thing was just a shame, two guys with a racing background running a strip would have been fantastic. Last i heard on the track was andra weren't real supportive of it as a venue (it's funny that tony thorntons vw is in the pics) but i guess they'll support where ever the money goes. As far as still racing, more like wanna be, still got our old blown running gear, and slowly building a 79 camaro, home built and happening real slow, if there was a track opening (not a.i.r.) we'd be there. If we ever finish the car and i get my effie done we'll go eighth mile racing (dust and all) and still have some great fun.
jf100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 09:26 PM   #123
COUPE 72
coupe 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf100
G'day, riverbend track was green, lack of track prep, and use, track prep back then was non existent, you'd do water burn out back up and do vht chirp to get the tires sticky. When terry otoole and roly built the track they ran out of money or rather were fully extended on the finance front, owing money left right and centre, it was never really completed to their vision, but they got it operational to try and get some money in, then the bloody weather let them down, the whole thing was just a shame, two guys with a racing background running a strip would have been fantastic. Last i heard on the track was andra weren't real supportive of it as a venue (it's funny that tony thorntons vw is in the pics) but i guess they'll support where ever the money goes. As far as still racing, more like wanna be, still got our old blown running gear, and slowly building a 79 camaro, home built and happening real slow, if there was a track opening (not a.i.r.) we'd be there. If we ever finish the car and i get my effie done we'll go eighth mile racing (dust and all) and still have some great fun.
Wish i could have been there in the day.ANDRA approached Mitsy years ago and they preety much said yes but i heard they then asked Mitsy for the money to do up the track to international specs and Mitsy said forget it. My brother in law and myself negotiated with Mitsy four a couple of years trying to get around insurance issues only to be told no a few weeks before the factory closed. ANDRA thinks Tailem Bend is too far away and no-one will give them the money to upgrade it. They did get quotes for toilets and other infrastructure but thats as far asit got. As soon as they started talking about T.B. the "sale" of A.I.R. started gaining momentum, which didnt go ahead either. At this stage i think that our best bet will be the "consortium" (sounds like a mafia gang eh) takeing on T.B. and run with it, could be good for drag racing.
Ya know when Mike Rann took over and was sucking up to V8 supercar he said he wanted to make Adelaide the motorsport capital of Australia, BIG fumble.
COUPE 72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 11:39 PM   #124
jf100

Mate, our great race track owner/promoter, has a lot to answer for, years ago the south aussie drag racing assoc. were negotiating to use/take over riverbend, kevin flaherty (owner of shotgun pro stock coupe and real estate agent) was handling it for sadra. just about had the deal done, suddenly mitsi wouldn't talk, ( we could only put it down to bob). The original sale of a.i.r. fell through when bob decided to do a swifty with a huge parcel of land attached to the raceway (apparently it belongs to another of bobs companies) so the contract was sold to the "syndicate", they spent a small fortune in the courts but unfortunately lost. This guy has managed to kill off drag racing here ( which even the original owner of a.i.r. stated always turned a dollar ), makes you wonder how other strips can make a success of it but this guy can't. I can't for the life of me work out the governments attitude, just seems every time anything gets mentioned (especially funding) our mate bob seems to lift the profile of his facilities, at the moment theres no funding anyway, but last i heard the consortium weren't asking for funding, just support. Maybe one day our pollies will actually read the surveys done on willowbank, like the pollies eventually did in sydney, maybe by then they can read the ones on wsid. and w.a. as well. anyway enough whinging. Mate we used to have the best dragstrip in the country, i guess we all took it for granted, but it was good times , got lots of great memories, but like they say once you race, just watching is never as good.
Old 14-07-2009, 04:27 AM   #125
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

posted on the smasa forum yesterday,
Quote:
It appears Mr Jane and Mr Thornton had a meeting in Adelaide last Monday...Oh well here we go again!
Old 14-07-2009, 10:10 AM   #126
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I'll be going to see tony tonight, I'll subtly drop the hint and see what we can garner from him. Wish me luck!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #127
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Heard a rumor today that the government have approached ANDRA about ANDRA building a track. I dont hold my breath when it comes to this stuff, we will all probably be dead by the time they build one.
Old 14-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #128
COUPE 72
coupe 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyv8
posted on the smasa forum yesterday,
GOD HELP US ALL. i WOULDNT BUY TYRES FROM BOB IF THEY WERE HALF THE PRICE. just ask all the super speedway guys what his deals and promises are like, alot of empty pockets in that paddock. I used to crew on a sportsman XF falcon, lots of money down the drain.As for ANDRA and the government talking, maybe the oppisition are talking to em cause Mike Rann seems to think we are all box driving hoons. Hopefully Tony is educating the powers that be that Drag Racing is a serious sport with millions of dollars spent anually. ANDRA should be doing alot more to promote the sport, Tonys phone calls to 5AA that i heard did not go well in my opinion, and his argument that a drag stip will stop hooning was shot down in flames rightly or wrongly. Tony needs to put as much distance between hoon drivers and drag racing as possible. Now that the government in S.A. is targeting modified car owners and car clubs like outlaw motorcycle gangs with its own task force, whos gunna be next lawn bowl clubs, come on Mike stop working on the super race of do gooders and let us breathe a little.
Old 14-07-2009, 11:33 PM   #129
jf100

Yeah, mate mikes done a huge back flip from being the motor sport capital, the government won't put any funding up at the moment, or probably ever. What i can't understand is why do they keep calling these hoon circuit racers, drag racers. Thing is guilt by association is a very dangerous road to travel, just like the motorcycle laws, so if your on a cruise and some guy gets sprung for an offence are you to guilty by being there, i reckon your onto something with stepping up the taskforce on lawnbowlers though. (my brother in law is a lawn bowler)lol.
Old 15-07-2009, 01:24 AM   #130
xbrules
/[_][_]==DMC==[_][_]\

I just looked on google earth at the tailem bend Drag strip, I can't beleive it, everything is still there, i saw a few weeks ago that the Mitsubishi site at tailem bend which includes the strip, was up for sale, c'mon Media mike get off you A#$ and buy it, give up something to race on!!!!

Daily: AU series 1 Fairmont Ghia
The Classic: Jan 79 ZH Fairlane, EFI'd 302 Clevo
The Project: Aug 73 Ford Landau Hardtop

During his lifetime, the average man will spend around 5 years behind the wheel of his car.... Make those years count... Drive a Ford.
xbrules is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 03:30 AM   #131
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

You may want to read the last 2 or 3 pages of the thread David, in regards to the condition of tailem, and whats going on with the sale, to get yourself up to speed.

As for the government buying or building a track, they don't need to. there are people around with the $$'s to buy land and build a track, they just need the government to sell them some appropriate land. But thats already been covered here too..

on another note, this has been posted around a few forums today:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

Just letting everyone know a new drag racing club is starting up '1320 Motorsport Inc' , first meeting this Sunday at 1pm at Shannons on South Rd.

The club is based on having special guests talk about new products as well a seminar based sessions with Adelaide's and Australia's best engine builders/chassis gurus/drivers/team owners etc. These will cover everything from traditional V8's/Carbs through to the latest Turbo/Import developments, EFI, Data Acquisition Systems etc. Let us know what you want to know and we'll find the best!

We also plan to have a strong road safety focus.

Businesses are also encouraged to join as we want to create a formal register for aftermarket businesses that serve the modified car/motorsport industry in this state, similar to what the MTA/RAA has done.

Also with this club our aim is not to have formal part of the meetings bogged down with endless argument/discussion over the track etc. There will be plenty of time before and after to discuss the subject informally.

This first meeting is to let you all know what we are trying to achieve as a club and bring everyone up to speed on whats happening re the track etc. Questions re the track are most welcome at this meeting. It will be fairly informal so let anyone who would be interested know.

Also if anyone could help us with posting this info on the relevant websites around the place it would be greatly appreciated.

We also welcome any members/representatives from other car clubs as we have some 'plans' we would like to discuss to address the negative media regarding car clubs/drag racing/modified cars.

Let all interested know and we hope to see you there this Sunday (19th July)

1320 Motorsport Committee
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 15-07-2009, 03:44 AM   #132
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just letting everyone know a new drag racing club is starting up '1320 Motorsport Inc' ,
being out of the loop is this the same guys that are involved in the large gathering at the port or a new group ?
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 07:11 AM   #133
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Mike Rann seems to think we are all box driving hoons.

Media mike is a F@#$%&king idiot,as soon as that fool is kicked out of gov the better we will be,,,,,
take time out n ph 5aa n have your say about this,i know he has his people monitoring the station(retard mike sent me a nasty email calling me names so it works )

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel

Last edited by cob115; 15-07-2009 at 07:17 AM.
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #134
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
being out of the loop is this the same guys that are involved in the large gathering at the port or a new group ?
no idea sorry Pete, but its more than likely got a few guys in it that were..
Old 15-07-2009, 06:33 PM   #135
COUPE 72
coupe 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbrules
I just looked on google earth at the tailem bend Drag strip, I can't beleive it, everything is still there, i saw a few weeks ago that the Mitsubishi site at tailem bend which includes the strip, was up for sale, c'mon Media mike get off you A#$ and buy it, give up something to race on!!!!
I got about 50 photos of eveything at tailem bend, think ill give some to montyv8 to post, ive got no idea. Mike Rann doesnt need to buy Tailem Bend the coorong district council now own it, they just need to realise that its worth more to them to keep it and have a community owned facility run by the combined drag racing clubs of S.A. and governed by ANDRA. The clubs could appoint a commity to promote the track and keep the books. The exspence of running the track could be offset by leasing the track and surrounding property to other motorsport disiplins and defencive driving programs etc. the possibilities are endless.
I listened to 5AA today and heard them talkin about hoons today, a couple of people rang up saying the gov should build a track, but leon shot them down saying why should the tax payer pay. Well the tax payer pays to put on the Clipsal 500 on (Which i support) it pays for sporting grounds and other community venues like the proposed sport stadium for the city to be used by the A.F.L. they subsidise the bloody tour down under for christ sake. Why cant we have HELP not necessarily pay for the whole lot but a least something, even the N.T. gov gave $800 grand worth of land to the drag racing club in Alice Springs. I thought Mr Rann wanted to put S.A. on the map in all areas of tourism, maybe he should talk to the mayor of Ipswich to see how well they do out of the Winter Nationals. The whole town gets behind it like Adelaide gets behind the 500. I had discussions with Liberal candidate Bob Day before the last election about helping us with Tailem Bend, he was very reseptive and wanted to help.Pitty he didnt get in.
Old 15-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #136
cob115
COUPE WHORE

i had a go on the ph with leon(pat from dry creek)seems so clear that buy having a drag track it will help with cutting down hoons,but he wouldnt have it : seems if you want a track your some sort of out cast

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 09:33 PM   #137
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUPE 72
I thought Mr Rann wanted to put S.A. on the map in all areas of tourism, maybe he should talk to the mayor of Ipswich to see how well they do out of the Winter Nationals. The whole town gets behind it like Adelaide gets behind the 500. I had discussions with Liberal candidate Bob Day before the last election about helping us with Tailem Bend, he was very reseptive and wanted to help.Pitty he didnt get in.
Don't worry S.A is on the tourist map, just for all the wrong reasons . ie the place you don't want to go. I don't even want to drive my car over there because I know the cops will be on me for some ridiculous reason or another
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 10:17 PM   #138
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bang head here... feel better.. nup..
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 12:27 AM   #139
Barry_v
rocknrolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyv8
first meeting this Sunday at 1pm at Shannons on South Rd.
if being there helps something happain, ill make time for it. signing online petitions doesnt feel like enough after all this time.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 01:45 AM   #140
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

i'll cruise down with you Baz

Mr Beige, you need this:

Old 16-07-2009, 08:25 PM   #141
COUPE 72
coupe 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJXR6
I'll be going to see tony tonight, I'll subtly drop the hint and see what we can garner from him. Wish me luck!
Hey mate, any info from tony on whats happening? Next time ask him what ANDRA is doing to help with the track issue. Seems to be to much secret squirel business.
Old 16-07-2009, 09:46 PM   #142
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUPE 72
Seems to be to much secret squirel business.
gives you the 5hits doesn't it..
Old 16-07-2009, 09:54 PM   #143
COUPE 72
coupe 72

Hey phil you going to that meeting on sunday
Old 17-07-2009, 03:13 AM   #144
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

sure am bud, want a ride? if dan and baz are keen i'll come round and grab y'all, like the heathcote trip lol.. give me a call
Old 17-07-2009, 03:42 AM   #145
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

someone on the SMASA forums asked about the background of the new club..

Quote:
Hi all,

1320 Motorsport is (at this stage )

Scott Ferguson (P), Former Top Alcohol racer/Top Fuel
Frank Intini (VP), Current Top Alcohol racer/ F&M Cyl Heads
Darrin Cocks (T), Supercharged Outlaws, Parts SA Proprietor
Micheal Harvey (S) Former Top Alcohol racer
Paul Topping (TBA) Straightline Data (MoTec)

Just to give you a taste of what's happening in the future, contact has been made with the following interstate persons who have expressed an interest in being guest speakers at our future meetings -

Murray Anderson, Anderson Racecars - Built just about every Top Doorslammer chassis running plus Jim Oddy (US) and Scotty Cannon
(US)
Tony Wedlock - Former Pro Stock Champion, currently running a Toyota sponsored car in sport compack (running 6.5's)
Rocky Rehayem - Pac Performance, rotors/turbos in sport compact
Darren Morgan - Top Fuel

- plus a few more TBA Sunday. Regular meetings will mostly feature local engine builders/tuners/aftermarket suppliers. The 'Big' ones will be held separately, open to the public with free/discounted admission to members of the club.

That's part one...

Then there is the current track/hoon law situation in the media/government. We will let you know more about that on Sunday. There will be an announcement Monday night at your AGM, after we attend one of the infamous 'Monday night meetings' that Stinky has referred to in the Drag Racing section. Enough is enough...

Hope to see you there.

1320 Motorsport Committee
Old 17-07-2009, 05:59 AM   #146
5L
[ 5L ]

looks like the email i got was legit.

here is the FWD list from the original email

----- Original Message -----
To: scott fergeson ; Dan ; Darrin Cocks ; Gary Forbes ; Hayden Hicks ; michael harvey ; Mick Owen ; Mr X ; Paul Topping ; Paul Dansie ; Tom *** ; Trevor Birrell
Sent: Saturday, May 16, 2009 4:53 PM
Subject: SA's Dragracings New Home
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #147
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXR8220
Subject: SA's Dragracings New Home
was that the one with the pics of Tailem?
Old 17-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #148
5L
[ 5L ]

yeah thats the one

i work with darrin cocks's brother, so ill be hitting him up for more info.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
Old 18-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #149
PALE ALE

Another one of them slackers from Aussie post!
PALE ALE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #150
5L
[ 5L ]

haha you get your mail on time dont you??????

alteast the other people in the place know what there doing

www.ignitionimages.com