Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 31-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #121
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well this is a load of crap!

How can they legally render a product you bought useless?

As its allready been said, Its like microsoft disabling your computer from accesing the internet, and making you buy Vista 2 if you ever want to do so again!

You can still surf the net on windows 95 if you wish to do so! Which is the way it should be!
Old 31-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #122
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Not supporting it is fine by me - stopping it from working as I purchased it is another thing all together. If they stopped support, the tuners would still be able to carry on until all of their bits died of old age.

Your PC is a very different example where you can still run it as is and do with it what you could when you got it.
I have been using a piece of software at work that will not run on any version of office later than 2003. Support for the product ceased about 15 years ago, so no upgrades or patches. I now run it from a laptop with word 2001 and it works fine.
Old 31-01-2009, 11:39 AM   #123
BT's GTP

Why are there still Flash tuners being sold new when they are now superceeded. The software era is changing everything.

I am in the office equipment/software industry where you can sell a product (printer) and in 12 months microsoft release Vista and the printer is now obsolete. The difference here is you can alway go back to XP so as not to use your printer as a door stop.

I still find it very wrong that I can go and buy a new product of the shelf today of a non supported product (scary )
1992 Turbo Capri Tickford Clubsprint (Stock)
1997 Ducati SS900 (Black)
Past,
2012 EDGE FGII GT-P Auto Build 221
2005 Pearl Blue BF GT-P Auto Build 006 with Shaker
2003 BA XR6 ute
1971 mk2 GTL cortina
1970 mk2 GT cortina
Old 31-01-2009, 11:40 AM   #124
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

An overview of the Trade Practices Act: http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.../itemId/788579

Trade Practices Act 1974 (There is also a minor amendment in 2001): http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/c...ct/tpa1974149/

Lodging a complaint with the ACCC: http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index...Id/54217#h2_38

For those of you with a bit of time or a lot more motivation, I would suggest starting with these, if a satisfactory solution is not forthcoming.

Lukeyson
Old 31-01-2009, 11:52 AM   #125
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier

Given that this action can only serve to considerably damage the reputation of SCT in Australia, we must also consider the possibility that SCT themselves may be close to insolvency, and this decision has been taken as a desperate measure to generate new revenue before collapse.

Luke
whilst I agree with your sentiment, Australia would be lucky if it had 5% of there total revenue.
This is why investment in our Aussie cars like the ZF speed auto software is lacking.
Had the ZF been in a US based Ford similar or the same as ours it would have been nutted out 3 years ago..
Most of the new tricks and changes in tuning from the last few years have come about through the work of some clever tuners here in Oz.
We are a tiny fish in there market, but the little fish should be looked after as much as the big fish..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 31-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #126
ayeyew
Teh Baest

This sucks bad! My tune was to be finalised next week!

Hopefully there will be some sort of solution forthcoming

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
Old 31-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #127
Bossxr8
Peter Car

If this continues I hope no one even considers buying a new box. If you give into them and buy a new box you will be open for them to do it again.

Go buy a Sniper or the VCM suite if it is finally sorted. SCT will soon find they will have no business left here if they continue with this, people won't stand for it. Its nothing short of blackmail to increase revenue.
Old 31-01-2009, 12:35 PM   #128
Headsex
headsexTuned

if truely this is what SCT are going to stick with. They are potentially going to loose all market share they have here in australia....

Then its every man for himself =)
Old 31-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #129
XA5800
I'd rather be blown

I think the best thing to do would be to put a petition together & send it to SCT stating our position. This way the Company will get a true feeling of our sentiments to there product & customer service.
Old 31-01-2009, 01:13 PM   #130
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like SCT have replied (nizpro forum) 90 days activation of X1 for honest tuners.
So after that, no choice but to get Xcal3..
Old 31-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #131
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstoj
Looks like SCT have replied (nizpro forum) 90 days activation of X1 for honest tuners.
So after that, no choice but to get Xcal3..
You didn't notice anything about 2 did you? Bought mine 7 months ago...
Old 31-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #132
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually, they said to tune the X1 boxes, so who knows, but from what everyones saying that they have shut down 1 and 2...
Very cruicial what they do now as it will cost them alot of customers..
Old 31-01-2009, 01:29 PM   #133
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wonder if SCT has done this as a global software release and screwed over their US market too. If this release was targetted at only Australian users I wonder if the various US forums are aware of what SCT are doing down here.
Old 31-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #134
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The guy from Herrod said he would have a solution for us "in the morning", its nearly 1pm, come on Herrod where is this response from you?

90 days tunability is a fricken cop out, my car isn't ready to be tuned and I dont have the money to get it to that point in under 90 days - I need a set of jectors a set of valve springs and a surge tank and some petrol pumps (I have a capa flash tuner box tho). over 1k worth I just don't have the money ATM. And by saying they will give us 90 days is an admission that they screwed up.

Herrod what say you?

Also are SCT that scared of getting flamed that they are posting via nizpro forum and not here? weak SCT out:

Holden special vehicles - for special people
Old 31-01-2009, 02:01 PM   #135
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Charlie from SCT Email to dealers. (Posted on behalf of Rob Herrod who is not near a computer atm)

Quote:
After speaking with many Dealers and Customers in Australia and New Zealand a solution is now available.

SCT will be reactivating honest dealers to continue supporting their customers via X1 devices. This is a temporary activation and will be available for the next 90 days and dealers must contact SCT to become active to tune X1 boxes. The intention of this activation is to show that SCT strives for customer satisfaction.

Please understand the main reason for the shutdown was regarding a violation of our license agreement by a dealer. The intentional resetting of locked boxes is prohibited and will not be tolerated. SCT reacted to raise awareness but feels that dealers must take an active role in securing their customers best intentions as well.

Remember that those found to be unlocking our devices and re-flashing will be cut off and will not be eligible to buy or support SCT product of any kind.

As always, if you need anything or want to report abuse, please do not hesitate to contact us.

SCT’s goal has always been to provide a top notch product and with the help of our dealers, we can prove once again that SCT can support the world's most important automobiles...YOURS!

Please contact your local dealer for support.

Charlie@sct

Last edited by SpoolMan; 31-01-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 31-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #136
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so I am f arked then thanks SCT I got the box with the car and I don't have the cash to get the car up to spec to get it re-tuned, everybody is off at the tuners to get in before the 90 day cutoff clearly so this thread is gonna get buried, I'm stuffed. thanks SCT...

Old 31-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #137
bdave351
R u a Fogwit or a HIDiot?

Thanks for that update Spoolman,

After reading SCT's supposed solution I guess they all used to be senior public servants.

I feel the stated reason and temporary activation clause to selected dealers is basis for further action against SCT.
From the wording etc it seems they are performing these actions without thinking of the legal responsibilities they have and repercussions (and seem to have not gathered any legal advice themselves before taking such action).

Now Quattro RS3 powered
Old 31-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #138
GT-E

I do not understand why they did not just take action by the single dealer, instead of making everyone suffer.
Also these boxes have 5 lives, this means they should be able to be unlocked 5 times. If SCT did not want dealers to unlock the boxes, they should not have given the device 5 lives, or the dealer the ability to unlock them.

Also I noticed CAPA selling XCAL3's on Ebay
Old 31-01-2009, 02:17 PM   #139
Lion Slayer
Is Ford, Is Good

Is there any info on the X2 yet beacause if they give the X1 90 days why not the X2.

Herrod Camshafts-Pacemaker ceramic coated 4-1 extractors-100 cpsi cats-X-Force dual 2.5 inch stainless catback exhaust-Bluepower CAI-Mellings oil pump-4.11 diff with truetrac-Lowered on SL / SSL-TSW Nurburgring 20x9.5/8.0

Custom tuned by RDP 260 rwkw
Old 31-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #140
RogueDriver

Default Too late

I love it. "A dealer" was breaking the terms of their agreement with SCT so every other dealer and every customer gets hit.
Mind you, I did get a laugh from the "SCT strives for customer satisfaction" line so that was worth it, I guess...

In my opinion it doesn't matter what SCT do next. The next mods I buy for my car will include Sniper or VCM (depending on who can come up with the goods by then) - SCT have shown themselves to be uninterested in their customers. Why they couldn't sue the offending dealer without bothering customers is beyond me.
Old 31-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #141
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

That's a great one from the Mark, "you'll be ok for 90 days but after that screw you".

Nice.

Cheers for the update mate.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 31-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #142
rodderz

They could at least offer some sort of discount or deal for the xcal 3 boxes considering that the rest are now non supported and the issue is as what they say.

The tuners wouldnt be happy either- they pay to be able to use the SCT software and if the customers get screwed and stop buying, they lose the ability to pay off their outlay for tuning with it.
Old 31-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #143
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
so I am f arked then thanks SCT I got the box with the car and I don't have the cash to get the car up to spec to get it re-tuned, everybody is off at the tuners to get in before the 90 day cutoff clearly so this thread is gonna get buried, I'm stuffed. thanks SCT...
I agree 3 months is to short, most will need more time here is my idea, your tuner will have your tunes on his laptop?

At least then he has all your tunes on file and when and if you are ready to buy an X CAL 3 he can flash all your tunes over to your new X CAL 3, this would only take 1 minute to do this, remember only your tuner can do this.

Will also help your tuner have a better starting point for future tunes rather than starting again if you are doing more modifying.
In the mean time you can still use your flash box.

I may just go with the x cal 3 and take the $100 trade-in, do some data logging whilst racing will be handy...

Last edited by SpoolMan; 31-01-2009 at 03:01 PM. Reason: info change
Old 31-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #144
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
................Remember that those found to be unlocking our devices and re-flashing will be cut off and will not be eligible to buy or support SCT product of any kind............
YES punish the dishonest dealers NOT the damn customers, I want to use the flashbox for the car I GOT WITH IT, not for some other car I am not wanting to do anything wrong, yet I am getting raped ??

Last edited by SpoolMan; 31-01-2009 at 02:50 PM. Reason: fix quote
Old 31-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #145
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

If you feel strongly enough to post about it here, send an Email to SCT as well. The more voices the better.

Luke
Old 31-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #146
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
YES punish the dishonest dealers NOT the damn customers,
Very True.

I did send SCT tech support a link to this thread.
Here we go time to be heard, if there not coming to this site its time to send them a message, be polite we want it to be known this is serious situation.

email http://www.sctflash.com/techsupport.php

Old 31-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #147
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Email sent!

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 31-01-2009, 03:47 PM   #148
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
If you feel strongly enough to post about it here, send an Email to SCT as well. The more voices the better.

Luke

I do and I will be voting with my wallet, I should have the engine done within the 90 days so that's not really worrying me, as for VCM whether it's ready or not I might even go to motech mainly because of all the add ons that they support.

When you look at it I can't see them doing the X3 for very much under $1500 so I'd rather put that into a system that actually has a "proven" back up system in place.

So my advice is this:

If you feel strongly enough then vote with your wallet, that's what keeps them going
Old 31-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #149
SpoolMan

I have received an email Charlie from SCT he will be making a post.
I relayed to him the major concern is the consumer has to pay for there dealers that have been doing the wrong thing.

Old 31-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #150
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

This whole situation is nothing short of disgusting! When I had my XR8 I had it tuned with a CAPA flash unit, this was sold with the car. Then with the GT we bought a Herrod Stealth (same unit) on the understanding that when we replace that car we can use the same unit on our new car and we can do that for three cars, that was 3 years ago. That was their promise to me! Most peole replace their cars every 2-3 years, times that by the 3 cars they promise you can tune when you upgrade cars. That equates to 6-9 years of support from the day I bought the unit that I consider it reasonable for me to expect. As far as I am concerned, they have now demonstrated that promise of 3 cars is false advertising.

Well now we have sold the GT and as part of the sale I made it clear to the new buyer that I wished to reset the car to factory and keep the box. He asked if I could leave the tune on and give him the box if he gives me one that he has. Fair enough, he gets to keep the tune and I still have a flash box for the ute, everyones happy. So I currently have a unit that was used on a XR6T ready for the ute.

Well now the warranty has expired on the ute and it is time to give it some more go go. The plan is to do the exhaust and sort out the intake before getting the tune done. Later on it will hopefully get S/C which of course will require a new tune but that is a while off. The new exhaust will not happen in the next 90 days, so I can not get a new tune done before then.

So now instead of just having to pay for the new exhaust, intake and tune, I now have to fork out for a new flash unit as well, even though I do not want it. To say I am not happy is a complete understatement.

So what am I going to do, I am going to show SCT the same level of support they have shown me, simple. If there is not a complete turn around on their decision. When it comes to tuning the ute I will look for a new option, one that does not involve SCT. I was previously thinking of changing to their new system when we get the S/C, not now.

Quote:
I have received an email Charlie from SCT he will be making a post.
I relayed to him the major concern is the consumer has to pay for there dealers that have been doing the wrong thing.
It will be interesting to see what he says, it had better be good.

Todays economic climate is not the ideal time to risk doing anything that decreases consumer confidence in your product. I know my confidence in their product, service and business ethos has recieved a serious shake up, I know I am not alone.

Last edited by geckoGT; 31-01-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Closed Thread