Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #1411
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
Ah! I thought by the way they were talking the risk is significantly higher.....but if that is all it is then yet another storm in a tea cup

my phone is on my hip 18 hours a day 7 days a week and my legs haven't fallen off yet
The reason why it is very low, is that the meter itself has a Wi-Fi antenna that sends signals every 30 minutes to a receiver on a pole. Nothing to be concerned at if you use a mobile phone, cook your dinner in a microwave, or use a Wi-Fi signal for your internet.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #1412
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

xisled, these smart meters, I've heard of them, but never seen one. A question: Does the wifi connection to the box on the pole mean that the energy retailer no longer has to visit your property to read the meter?

Cheers.

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #1413
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ah! .....now I've been told that in the future the "meter reader" will simply drive past your property and your reading will be automatically downloaded to an onboard computer

I've also heard water and gas is headed in this direction

my current meter reader (who happens to be 67 but cant afford to retire) told me so only yesterday

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #1414
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post
xisled, these smart meters, I've heard of them, but never seen one. A question: Does the wifi connection to the box on the pole mean that the energy retailer no longer has to visit your property to read the meter?

Cheers.
No not the case, not all smart meters are set up to send the signal. Some smart meter will need a reader to come to the house and put a probe in to the meter. The probe is a USB looking device, it can take anywhere up to 30 minutes to download the information from the meter.

Here in Vic by 2013 all houses will have the smart meters and the system should be up and running of remote reads.

Funny thing about the remote reads, I can see going by the usage what time they get up and go to sleep. What time they go and come back home. I can even see the days that the heater has been left on overnight. Most customers will have a pattern.
This user likes this post:
Old 12-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #1415
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
ah! .....now I've been told that in the future the "meter reader" will simply drive past your property and your reading will be automatically downloaded to an onboard computer

I've also heard water and gas is headed in this direction

my current meter reader (who happens to be 67 but cant afford to retire) told me so only yesterday
I'm convinced my water meter reader bloke already has this feature. For the past three quarters my bill states that I've used exactly 11 kilolitres! Hmmm.

Cheers!

Old 12-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #1416
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

11 kilolitres......hmmm!!! .....yeah! ...okay someones not doing their job!.....

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 14-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #1417
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
it appears you are correct mate....all I get from my search is this ..http://www.harveynormansolar.com.au/...=/BlueGEN.html

I know it used to be there so the bluegen part of the site must be withdrawn from sale

next time I go through Clare I'll ask the feller from clewers down there, apparently he installed a few of them, wonder if he still does them
I got a reply from an email I sent to bluegen today, they said they have withdrawn from selling in oz, until policy changes, that is a shame,
one has to wonder why the powers that be are not embracing this technology with incentives to make it viable.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #1418
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well that truly is a shame......the technology is great.....why the government is so against new ideas and refuses to fund new developments is beyond me...too damn focused on monetary gain

an old cree indian saying went something like this

"When all the trees have been cut down,
when all the animals have been hunted,
when all the waters are polluted,
when all the air is unsafe to breathe,
only then will you discover you cannot eat money."

2 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #1419
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's a good saying from the old indians, pity we don't have some wise old indians leading the country :(.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2012, 12:27 AM   #1420
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

well i just had my 1st full bill with solar
AND i must say in WA and are in the synergy area DON'T BOTHER WITH SOLAR PANELS!!!!
i used 518 units of power, i EXPORTED 544 units of power and i got a total bill of $153.84
the gave me my 544 units at 8.4c so i got a credit of $46.59
so i still had a bill of $107.25
what a joke ...will take 15 years to pay off till synergy go to a 1 to 1 system ...the only fair way
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #1421
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

simply not fair......synergy would have taken that 544 kilowatts and sold it on as "green energy" whilst giving you a very paltry sum indeed.......the energy sector has a very bad odour about it at the moment

but I guess is everything is "privatised" then we can expect more of the same

can you afford to go "stand alone" with a battery bank & inverter upgrade to your solar even if you halve your account

Old 15-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #1422
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
simply not fair......synergy would have taken that 544 kilowatts and sold it on as "green energy" whilst giving you a very paltry sum indeed.......the energy sector has a very bad odour about it at the moment

can you afford to go "stand alone" with a battery bank & inverter upgrade to your solar even if you halve your account
WA is not privatised it is still owned by the government.

The funny thing is, The call centre for Horizon Power, which is the retailer/distributor for WA outside the metropolitan area is ran in Melbourne, Horizon power is still owned by the WA Gov.

Solar will never be 1 for 1, as I said in earlier post, Vic had the scheme and as of 1st Jan 2013, the scheme is now not available. The funny thing is, if you are currently on the SFIT scheme (1 for 1) and you change retailers after the 1st Jan 2013, you automatically drop down to the new SFIT tariff of 8 cents.
Old 15-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #1423
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

My Install is coming up next week and I just wanted some input from those of you in the know on what to look out for. Are the installers supposed to run cables through the roof space or on the outside somewhere, things like that. Any input is appreciated.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #1424
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

My install has the cables running through the ceiling, and then from under the eaves down the side of the house in conduit to the switchboard. There are no visible cables on the roof.
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #1425
prydey
Rob

the only conduit i can see on mine is from the inverter to the on/off switch and isolator. looks like power to the inverter has been run internally.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #1426
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx View Post
My Install is coming up next week and I just wanted some input from those of you in the know on what to look out for. Are the installers supposed to run cables through the roof space or on the outside somewhere, things like that. Any input is appreciated.

most cables are hidden within the roof space so are not a problem, you could take a look up to watch for unsecure or dangling cabling

the main thing that irks me are the cables that link the panels together, not being secured above the roof and therefore are visible from the ground

the other thing is that the rails are adjustable and can be prone to uneven placement giving the panels a "wavy" look

keep an eye on the "piercings" through your roof......be sure they are adequately sealed and have the appropriate rubbers and sealant present

look for overall neatness in appearance, panels and inverter......scruffy looking system install will annoy the crap out of you forever.....make them do it right the first time

Old 15-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #1427
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
WA is not privatised it is still owned by the government.

The funny thing is, The call centre for Horizon Power, which is the retailer/distributor for WA outside the metropolitan area is ran in Melbourne, Horizon power is still owned by the WA Gov.

Solar will never be 1 for 1, as I said in earlier post, Vic had the scheme and as of 1st Jan 2013, the scheme is now not available. The funny thing is, if you are currently on the SFIT scheme (1 for 1) and you change retailers after the 1st Jan 2013, you automatically drop down to the new SFIT tariff of 8 cents.

I have learnt to never say never.....no-one knows what is around the corner nor what will happen in 5 years time....a week is a long time in politics

1-1 is the only fair way to go and I really think it will come in eventually

my comment on privatisation is a generality.....I've stated many times I will not comment on individual state policies or how it reflects on solar systems nor will I advise on any particular system for any particular person...they all differ far too much

however privatisation has the impact of forcing up prices whether owned by guvco or mr who flung dung....investors must be paid profit is king....greed is good and all that

look at what is going on or about to go in the NT......big changes are going to be forced into play

Last edited by poppa smurf; 15-11-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 15-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #1428
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Quote:

cant afford to go stand alone atm but it will be something to keep in mind

as for hoirzon it all depends where you live to how much they give you for the power you make.. some is below 1 to 1 and some are over
its just a joke that the WA gov say that electric prices need to rise but evey month more and more people get solar and they are making a killing out of everyone who has them fitted

as for a 1to1, the only way it will happen is when people start putting pressure on the state gov eg give us 1to1 or we wont vote for you ,,,,then see how fast the do it
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #1429
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the power price rise is based on complete fiction.....we have been over supplied with power for a number of years now....apparently the term that is thrown around most now is "gold plating" of the grid.....

last count I think we are up to 3 "enquiries" into the price "fixing" with no result with a few ministers "looking into" the price

I'd like to think that guvco could use a little nouse and force the power moguls to come to the table with a fair deal for all

anyhoo! keep the "stand alone" idea alive and try to work toward it if you can....even if you can knock the bill down a little....better to store a little than give it away

I'm thinking about it myself....I just got to get around the minister for finance....our fiscal quarter is a bit depleted after our recent acquisition of the new van.....another "investment" may not be welcomed nor supported just at the moment

Old 15-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #1430
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:
most cables are hidden within the roof space so are not a problem, you could take a look up to watch for unsecure or dangling cabling

the main thing that irks me are the cables that link the panels together, not being secured above the roof and therefore are visible from the ground

the other thing is that the rails are adjustable and can be prone to uneven placement giving the panels a "wavy" look

keep an eye on the "piercings" through your roof......be sure they are adequately sealed and have the appropriate rubbers and sealant present

look for overall neatness in appearance, panels and inverter......scruffy looking system install will annoy the crap out of you forever.....make them do it right the first time
Thanks for the input guys (not just poppa)

The cables are something I am thinking about as I would like them to put the inverter in my laundry out of the way. Its an outside inverter but I would just rather it inside. Outside the only place I have to put it on the way to the meter box is not really undercover and will get wet when it rains and have full sun after midday. The laundry is on the way to the meter box and they will be able to grab power for the sockets on the wall right next to where the inverter would be installed.
Do you think thats a reasonable request?

I have also thought about the brackets on the tin roof. I can imagine how many installers are up on roofs with tek screws. I asked the EM rep who took the install booking and she was certain they used only existing holes. I doubt it but I will be keeping a watchful eye.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #1431
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can assure you they dont use existing holes.....there will be up to 3 hefty lads on your roof so keep an eye on the "crush effect" of the iron

try to get the inverter under cover out of the sun......despite reports to the contrary they do not like direct sunlight, it will make the screen unreadable in a short manner of time

keep in mind the inverter must be on the same structure as the solar system but that is about it, where you have it placed is entirely up to you....

if you want it in the laundry then have them place it there.....dont let them talk you out of it

Old 15-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #1432
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
the power price rise is based on complete fiction.....we have been over supplied with power for a number of years now....apparently the term that is thrown around most now is "gold plating" of the grid.....

last count I think we are up to 3 "enquiries" into the price "fixing" with no result with a few ministers "looking into" the price

I'd like to think that guvco could use a little nouse and force the power moguls to come to the table with a fair deal for all

anyhoo! keep the "stand alone" idea alive and try to work toward it if you can....even if you can knock the bill down a little....better to store a little than give it away

I'm thinking about it myself....I just got to get around the minister for finance....our fiscal quarter is a bit depleted after our recent acquisition of the new van.....another "investment" may not be welcomed nor supported just at the moment
gov co cant(wont)fix petrol prices so i think we have no hope on solar .just lucky not to be in wa!!
Old 15-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #1433
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you're probably right .....but hell a feller can dream cant he???

Old 15-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #1434
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx View Post
Thanks for the input guys (not just poppa)

The cables are something I am thinking about as I would like them to put the inverter in my laundry out of the way. Its an outside inverter but I would just rather it inside. Outside the only place I have to put it on the way to the meter box is not really undercover and will get wet when it rains and have full sun after midday. The laundry is on the way to the meter box and they will be able to grab power for the sockets on the wall right next to where the inverter would be installed.
Do you think thats a reasonable request?

I have also thought about the brackets on the tin roof. I can imagine how many installers are up on roofs with tek screws. I asked the EM rep who took the install booking and she was certain they used only existing holes. I doubt it but I will be keeping a watchful eye.
James, I was thinking just along the same lines as you. I got my inverter installed on the verandah, under shelter and for the most of it out of the weather. I didn't think it was wise to have the mainstream "guts' of an expensive piece of equipment left to the mercy of the elements.

This cost me no extra, and the installer thought it was wise to do so - most people are concerned with aesthetics, I'm for practicality! I must point out that my verandah was about 1.2 metres from the nearest solar panel though. Distance could make the difference.

Cheers!

Old 16-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #1435
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

on the point of instalation care and what to watch out for.....just be sure the installers get rid of the swarf generated by tek screwing the supports to the roof

either hose it down, including the gutter or sweep it all off

swarf can very quickly rust a hole in your iron roof or gutter........be very strict on this or you will be looking for a new roof/guttering within a very short time

Old 16-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #1436
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with putting the inverter out of the weather, end of the day it is still an electrical device and weather and electrics do not mix.

Another idea is you could get a meter box for your inverter, either wooden of metal, you could then put it on the outside on the wall and still have it in a safe place.
Old 16-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #1437
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can someone help me out with clearling up an isolation.

As per attached; it seems the system can be isolated without the need to get on the rooof. Is this correct?

But, I also have the little box at the end of each string which i assume is for isolation as well.

So, in the event of a fire, and I understand charge will still be held, can I isolate the system via the switch board and inverter or do I still need to get on the roof?

Many thanks,

usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #1438
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no need to get on the roof.......the system can be isolated from the ground.....using the shutdown procedure as described.....also follow the instructions for start up as well or a few isolators could be thrown

Old 16-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #1439
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers mate.
usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #1440
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
Can someone help me out with clearling up an isolation.

As per attached; it seems the system can be isolated without the need to get on the rooof. Is this correct?

But, I also have the little box at the end of each string which i assume is for isolation as well.

So, in the event of a fire, and I understand charge will still be held, can I isolate the system via the switch board and inverter or do I still need to get on the roof?

Many thanks
Also, by law with solar "grid interactive" systems - when you kill the main switch from your mains fed electricity in your meter box, the solar system must also shut down supply to the grid. In other words your solar panels will still supply DC current to the inverter, (in daylight) but no current will be fed from the inverter to your meter or house, regardless of your array isolator switch's position. This is common sense, that way emergency services can easily isolate your power without having access to your inverter or solar isolation switches if they are inside your house and inaccessible.

Nice and neat installation by the way!

Last edited by supershifty; 16-11-2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Add detail