Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-08-2022, 03:11 PM   #1261
prydey
Rob

Default Re: New Ranger teaser vidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Meh, had an average speed of 106km/h over 732km last time I drove from Adelaide to home.

Makes a huge difference over an interstate drive.
No it doesn't. Unless you consider an hour or so a huge difference over an 8hr journey. I don't.
Old 04-08-2022, 03:14 PM   #1262
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
How many times does anyone, in any car, hold their foot flat to the floor from standstill to 100kmh, or even worse, for 400m?? To me it says more about the driver than the car.

It's a useless stat, esp in this category.
I do enjoy a good highway on ramp. Why not go full boost to the speed limit? Doesn’t hurt anyone.
Old 04-08-2022, 03:17 PM   #1263
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
No it doesn't. Unless you consider an hour or so a huge difference over an 8hr journey. I don't.
An hour is a huge difference, it's an extra hour you have at the destination.

You might be happy holding everyone else up but no thanks I'd rather get to my destination earlier and do more stuff when I'm there with that extra hour.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-08-2022, 03:21 PM   #1264
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
I do enjoy a good highway on ramp. Why not go full boost to the speed limit? Doesn’t hurt anyone.
I didn't say no one does it. I do it. I said how often?

I hardly think that stat is going to be a deal breaker when buying a ute.
Old 04-08-2022, 03:23 PM   #1265
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I didn't say no one does it. I do it. I said how often?

I hardly think that stat is going to be a deal breaker when buying a ute.
Ok fair call. For me it’s not as often as I’d like

The stats are largely irrelevant but they can help paint a picture on performance. For me, I don’t care what the car is, I don’t want it to be a complete slug.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2022, 03:28 PM   #1266
prydey
Rob

Quote:
An hour is a huge difference, it's an extra hour you have at the destination.

You might be happy holding everyone else up but no thanks I'd rather get to my destination earlier and do more stuff when I'm there with that extra hour.
No one is holding anyone up though...

An hour to me is not a big chunk of time. Compared with how long I would be at the destination an extra hour is minuscule. Even if just for a weekend. If I get home a couple of hours early, what difference does that make to my life a week later?
Old 04-08-2022, 04:27 PM   #1267
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Ok fair call. For me it’s not as often as I’d like

The stats are largely irrelevant but they can help paint a picture on performance. For me, I don’t care what the car is, I don’t want it to be a complete slug.
The fun police who claim they never put their foot down probably also drink non-alcoholic beer
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2022, 06:27 PM   #1268
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Strange perspective for a motoring enthusiast Franco, personally I like to take my time and soak in the surroundings whenever I get the opportunity to travel long distances or interstate.
Infact I can go back a step further and say I choose driving over flying despite its time/convenience advantage for the very reason being I consider the journey part of the break especially if im alone.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2022, 06:34 PM   #1269
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No one is holding anyone up though...

An hour to me is not a big chunk of time. Compared with how long I would be at the destination an extra hour is minuscule. Even if just for a weekend. If I get home a couple of hours early, what difference does that make to my life a week later?
An hour is huge ....I have wannabe F1 drivers overtake me in the truck to cut in front and head up the off ramp to gain a 10th of a second every day ....or do a100mph to get in front before it goes to 1 lane so they can be 4m ahead until they turn off 100m later

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2022, 06:39 PM   #1270
prydey
Rob

Thumbs down Re: New Ranger teaser vidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post
An hour is huge ....I have wannabe F1 drivers overtake me in the truck to cut in front and head up the off ramp to gain a 10th of a second every day ....or do a100mph to get in front before it goes to 1 lane so they can be 4m ahead until they turn off 100m later
I'm hearing you.
Old 04-08-2022, 08:46 PM   #1271
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Strange perspective for a motoring enthusiast Franco, personally I like to take my time and soak in the surroundings whenever I get the opportunity to travel long distances or interstate.
Infact I can go back a step further and say I choose driving over flying despite its time/convenience advantage for the very reason being I consider the journey part of the break especially if im alone.
I don't think I'd class myself as a 'motoring enthusiast', I've got basically zero interest in anything to do with club/track events, or particularly care for car shows and that sort of stuff.

To me cars are tools that are used for transport but that doesn't mean I like 'boring', or that I won't have something for its sentimental value to me. I'd never have a track car, if I can't jump in my car(s) to drive it to the shops, pub, mates place then its useless to me - ignore the temporary suspension of driving privileges

To me it also functions as an extension of someones character/personality, think about it in terms of something like fashion with how people dress, wear jewelry, have tattoos, style their hair et al - it can tell a story or give insights to someone.

I used to like driving, but having been out of it for a few months now and its given me new perspective on it, I don't particularly value it as a 'hobby' anymore, given how draconian the enforcement is with all these hoon laws to wrap everyone in cotton wool so they don't hurt themselves, the ridiculously low speed limits and how most of the people with licences on our roads can't drive for ****, there's just no fun to be had playing within their rules to liven up the whole A to B thing using them for their intended purpose.

If I was just going to hang around one of our capital cities and their inner suburbia then I wouldn't drive, I don't particularly value the part in the middle transiting between destinations, I'm not interested in that part I'm interested in the destination, there isn't much exciting along the Hume Freeway either.

Given how many times I've driven between Melbourne and Adelaide, the only notable thing I've seen is wind turbines between Dimboola and Minyip and once you've seen them once they aren't that exciting anymore.

Kinda reminds me when I went to Milford Sound in NZ, one of my relatives was amazed how non interested I was about the mountains and waterfall - its water running down a hill

Anyway, we've thrown this off topic enough, back onto the Ranger, when are the Raptors being delivered and has anyone driven one yet?

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 04-08-2022 at 08:57 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2022, 09:59 PM   #1272
vbomber

vbomber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2022, 09:05 AM   #1273
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sometimes I feel like I’ve logged into a Camry owners forum.
“Oh a V6 diesel. That’s a bit too quick for me. Who would need such a huge, powerful race engine. I’m not driving around Bathurst”

As for average speed not meaning anything, clearly some people haven’t driven long distances for a job.
Quite annoying when you’re cruising along at 100km/h GPS indicated and a farmer pulls out too close in front of you from a paddock then drives to the next town at 60km/h before pulling into a driveway at 3km/h.
His trip took an extra couple of minutes. Big deal. When you have to cover 1000km and this happens over and over it starts to add up to a significant difference.
Do this multiple times a week and it’s adds up even more.
I guess for people travelling 3 times a year to a camp spot probably don’t care about taking a little longer.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2022, 11:49 AM   #1274
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Sometimes I feel like I’ve logged into a Camry owners forum.
“Oh a V6 diesel. That’s a bit too quick for me. Who would need such a huge, powerful race engine. I’m not driving around Bathurst”

As for average speed not meaning anything, clearly some people haven’t driven long distances for a job.
Quite annoying when you’re cruising along at 100km/h GPS indicated and a farmer pulls out too close in front of you from a paddock then drives to the next town at 60km/h before pulling into a driveway at 3km/h.
His trip took an extra couple of minutes. Big deal. When you have to cover 1000km and this happens over and over it starts to add up to a significant difference.
Do this multiple times a week and it’s adds up even more.
I guess for people travelling 3 times a year to a camp spot probably don’t care about taking a little longer.
Not to mention the extra fuel costs when people in front constantly speed up and slow down.

Makes me wonder why the pearl clutchers even bother coming onto a car enthusiasts website. You can still have fun in quick cars without breaking any laws ffs.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2022, 07:43 PM   #1275
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Not to mention the extra fuel costs when people in front constantly speed up and slow down.

Makes me wonder why the pearl clutchers even bother coming onto a car enthusiasts website. You can still have fun in quick cars without breaking any laws ffs.
Exactly!

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2022, 08:32 PM   #1276
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't think I'd class myself as a 'motoring enthusiast', I've got basically zero interest in anything to do with club/track events, or particularly care for car shows and that sort of stuff.

To me cars are tools that are used for transport but that doesn't mean I like 'boring', or that I won't have something for its sentimental value to me. I'd never have a track car, if I can't jump in my car(s) to drive it to the shops, pub, mates place then its useless to me - ignore the temporary suspension of driving privileges

To me it also functions as an extension of someones character/personality, think about it in terms of something like fashion with how people dress, wear jewelry, have tattoos, style their hair et al - it can tell a story or give insights to someone.

I used to like driving, but having been out of it for a few months now and its given me new perspective on it, I don't particularly value it as a 'hobby' anymore, given how draconian the enforcement is with all these hoon laws to wrap everyone in cotton wool so they don't hurt themselves, the ridiculously low speed limits and how most of the people with licences on our roads can't drive for ****, there's just no fun to be had playing within their rules to liven up the whole A to B thing using them for their intended purpose.

If I was just going to hang around one of our capital cities and their inner suburbia then I wouldn't drive, I don't particularly value the part in the middle transiting between destinations, I'm not interested in that part I'm interested in the destination, there isn't much exciting along the Hume Freeway either.

Given how many times I've driven between Melbourne and Adelaide, the only notable thing I've seen is wind turbines between Dimboola and Minyip and once you've seen them once they aren't that exciting anymore.

Kinda reminds me when I went to Milford Sound in NZ, one of my relatives was amazed how non interested I was about the mountains and waterfall - its water running down a hill

Anyway, we've thrown this off topic enough, back onto the Ranger, when are the Raptors being delivered and has anyone driven one yet?
Agree with you on a lot of that, especially at the top. Everyday pedestrian cars can have sentimental attachment, like pets. Just doing their purpose. No desire for track, etc.

I do like long distance drives, however. The time alone, to think. To zen out, even; through concentrating on the road. Society fades away for a while.
Listening to the car. The imprinting of the landscape on memory... I can remember exactly sets of hills and the colour of the mallee at dusk in places I'll be driving to in a month, that are thousands of km away...

Confucius say sometimes the journey is the destination

in that spirit, here Harry takes a 4K GBP 1969 Rolls Royce Shadow to the north pole:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIdNcbsgOiM

Last edited by Sprintey; 05-08-2022 at 08:43 PM.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2022, 08:55 PM   #1277
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only Milk and Juice should come in 2 Litres.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2022, 07:39 AM   #1278
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Picked up our V6 Sport on Friday and wow… Just incredible! It’s not just a level up on the PX3 and other dual cab ute’s, it feels 2 levels up it’s that good! I hadn’t driven one before I picked ours up so wasn’t quite sure what to expect, but to say I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement. The power, refinement, sound of that V6 is just incredible and add to that all the tech in the cab is insane for an old fella like me.
We took it for a 100k drive yesterday evening letting the cruise control do the majority of the driving which included 110 kmh freeway driving and also stop start heavy traffic conditions and it returned fuel economy of 7.9 l/100. My old 3.2 could only dream of figures like that.
Can’t wait to put the van behind it and see how it handles towing 2.9 tonne and see what the fuel economy is like then but from early reports it’s quite impressive.
Early stages I know, but well done Ford!
Old 07-08-2022, 09:00 AM   #1279
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 351 View Post
Picked up our V6 Sport on Friday and wow… Just incredible!
Congratulations on the new rig - nice to read about an owner review in this thread for a change

I picked mine up just over a week ago and love it. It's incredible as you say
3 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2022, 12:47 PM   #1280
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Sat in the Wildtrak yesterday. No memory seats is just a joke in this day and age. Room isn't much more if any. They have fixed the lower seatbelt anchor so rear passengers won't kick it but it's still exposed on the passengers side. With the Everest with more room in the rear, people still would kick the seatbelt point causing the belt to tighten. Just an annoying thing. Seriously, talk about cutting corners. It's just not good enough for the price tag they command.

Raptor order binned now. Waiting on the F150.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2022, 12:48 PM   #1281
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 351 View Post
Picked up our V6 Sport on Friday and wow… Just incredible! It’s not just a level up on the PX3 and other dual cab ute’s, it feels 2 levels up it’s that good! I hadn’t driven one before I picked ours up so wasn’t quite sure what to expect, but to say I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement. The power, refinement, sound of that V6 is just incredible and add to that all the tech in the cab is insane for an old fella like me.

We took it for a 100k drive yesterday evening letting the cruise control do the majority of the driving which included 110 kmh freeway driving and also stop start heavy traffic conditions and it returned fuel economy of 7.9 l/100. My old 3.2 could only dream of figures like that.

Can’t wait to put the van behind it and see how it handles towing 2.9 tonne and see what the fuel economy is like then but from early reports it’s quite impressive.

Early stages I know, but well done Ford!
Sitting in the freeway is usually a big no no for new cars. Traffic is good for them.

Old 07-08-2022, 01:00 PM   #1282
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Be interesting how many make the same “incredible “comments when the new car has clocked up 100k without a single warranty problem.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2022, 01:06 PM   #1283
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Sat in the Wildtrak yesterday. No memory seats is just a joke in this day and age. Room isn't much more if any. They have fixed the lower seatbelt anchor so rear passengers won't kick it but it's still exposed on the passengers side. With the Everest with more room in the rear, people still would kick the seatbelt point causing the belt to tighten. Just an annoying thing. Seriously, talk about cutting corners. It's just not good enough for the price tag they command.

Raptor order binned now. Waiting on the F150.

Are they the only reasons you cancelled a raptor order?
Old 07-08-2022, 02:17 PM   #1284
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Only Milk and Juice should come in 2 Litres.
Problem is that you can get them in 3 litres too….
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2022, 02:22 PM   #1285
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Are they the only reasons you cancelled a raptor order?
Just not enough room in the back seat. We tested a baby seat in the car and the front seat had to be pushed quite far forward.

And yes, memory seats, the seatbelt location and lack of rear space was enough to cancel my order. Transferred the deposit to the F150.

2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2022, 03:46 PM   #1286
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Be interesting how many make the same “incredible “comments when the new car has clocked up 100k without a single warranty problem.

I’ve driven thousands of cars. I can tell within 1 km if it’s any good. If it’s really bad it’s usually much less.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2022, 03:56 PM   #1287
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
I’ve driven thousands of cars. I can tell within 1 km if it’s any good. If it’s really bad it’s usually much less.
Well be pretty bad if it didn’t last a km,but that doesn’t mean its good either
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2022, 04:04 PM   #1288
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
.....Transferred the deposit to the F150.

Congrats...Did the dealer have any idea of possible options, or too early yet?
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2022, 06:01 PM   #1289
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Congrats...Did the dealer have any idea of possible options, or too early yet?
Too early apparently. Here's to hoping we get memory seats!!

Old 07-08-2022, 06:41 PM   #1290
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
Correct, I can’t get comfortable in many of today’s vehicles, the seats are s**t and it’s like
they’re less intuitive with placement of equipment and controls, maybe it a culture thing
with foreign vehicles or maybe engineering has gone to the dogs…or maybe it’s just me.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post