Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-12-2015, 10:56 PM   #91
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: What cheap safe efficient car for Daughter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Originally Posted by Matty4 image
LOL......you obviously don't have a daughter of this age then...

If I told her I'll buy the car but it has to be a Falcon, she'll tell me to get stuffed and work out a way to buy what she wants, and then see how things work out in the father/daughter relationship..

Well- I showed a picture of a Lancer CJ- large rear wing, and my daughter did not like the look- boy racer. She also did not want a bar of Subaru impreza -boy hood racer.

She talked about Mazda 2 for fuel efficiency as she complained that a large chunk of her earnings from part time jobs was paying to feed the Camry V6 3 litre to and from uni etc and fuel consumption was a great concern, and I pulled up on the Mazda 2, - belt cam drive replacement every 100,000 km and nvh and small size for passive crash safety....

Surprisingly when I explained lack of size and safety she was receptive-after the crash and the way the bulbar of the 4wd crushed in the body 3/4 foot inwards over rear passenger wheel, and then raked along the passenger side, only stopped pushing in by door intrusion beams-and the way the rear boot took the impact when the 4wd pushed her Camry rear boot into a car in the opposing lane- she is now looking at the small micro cars and lack of boots with the same eyes as I have.

Ended up buying a Honda Civic 2008 manual with 6 months rego and 5,000 km from next service, surprisingly a very good drive, full stamped service records, good passive crash crumple safety design, and the engine to me felt better than the Lancer 2 litre. $6,000 - so within my $7,000 budget.

Anyways, thanks all for the suggestions, at the end of the day what swayed me was chain cam drive, a tight test drive, good passive safety crumple design, fuel efficiency not that much behind the micro Mazda 2, and Honda engineering which I have grown to respect, this will be my third Honda.

Anywat
While they don't have timing belts they need valve clearance adjustments every 40,000km as they have old school style lifters.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-12-2015, 11:05 PM   #92
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Re: What cheap safe efficient car for Daughter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
While they don't have timing belts they need valve clearance adjustments every 40,000km as they have old school style lifters.
Ha- looks like I will have fun- used to do the tappet adjustments on my 1.6 Kent rally motor in my Ford Cortina Mk 11 GT 1600 every 10,000 km from memory...so it will be good to be back on some tools in addition to the very basic fluid changes.

Thanks for the info though.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2015, 11:25 PM   #93
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

If she's working ? Thought of a new car ?
5 years warranty, with all the safe gear included ...
Builds monitory skills..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2015, 03:45 AM   #94
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Ha- looks like I will have fun- used to do the tappet adjustments on my 1.6 Kent rally motor in my Ford Cortina Mk 11 GT 1600 every 10,000 km from memory...so it will be good to be back on some tools in addition to the very basic fluid changes.

Thanks for the info though.
They're easy to do on the 1.8L/2L Civics which is an upside, the ones which are a real PITFA are the V6 models, though if i remember correctly the 2008 Civic, the oil filter is a PITFA to get to, it might be one of those models where you have to go in through the driver side wheel to reach it, the later ones have the oil filter next to the sump which are really easy to change.

Just remember to do valve clearances when the engine is stone cold.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2015, 10:56 PM   #95
290v
290v

Kn & KQ Laser very reliable
Old 31-12-2015, 09:56 PM   #96
XG_Falcon

Glad to see you got it sorted out. The Civic was a good choice.
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2016, 10:04 AM   #97
Swordie

Civic is a beautiful choice. Looked after they go for ever and pleasure to drive. They are not short on power, handle really well and enough space to carry a few people around.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2016, 09:18 PM   #98
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordie View Post
Civic is a beautiful choice. Looked after they go for ever and pleasure to drive. They are not short on power, handle really well and enough space to carry a few people around.
Agreed. Plus more than likely to not have been a rental or fleet car or thrashed by it previous owner. 9 times out of 10 owned by a older driver and over serviced.

My uncle was a spares manager at a multi-franchise dealer that had Honda in the fold. He always said he made nothing in Honda spares because he never had any demand for them!
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post