Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 21-04-2007, 10:09 PM   #91
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb_5litre
Whats wrong with washing the thing before putting under covers? Does 1970's dust and dirt add value?
i sold my XA GT lte last year and it was clean as a whistle when put away,but rats found easy access and did heaps of damage and left heaps of rat **** and shite everywhere they walked for years until owner removed covers for me,have a close look at the paint that has just been exposed to light after 25 years or so and you can see its fairly clean.
Old 21-04-2007, 10:12 PM   #92
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb_5litre
Whats wrong with washing the thing before putting under covers? Does 1970's dust and dirt add value?
If anyone on here is a "Coin Collector" , they'll tell you if you CLEAN an old coin , the value is gone , because it's not Original !

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
Old 21-04-2007, 10:18 PM   #93
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nick, thanks for pics a great car.. to all the knockers..get a Fn life.

And just for info a GTHO just went to Emerald QLD for $869.000.

Just for info again I never owned one but had a mate who did and when he took me for a drive it was wicked and it was new.

I did however have the luck of knowing the dealer principle of Thompson Ford back in the early 70s and got to drive his GT for a day with his daughter on my arm..my MGTD had died.

And a mate of mine in The Alice who restored a GT got to drive that in the early2000/01

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 21-04-2007, 10:18 PM   #94
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako
Its a poverty pack didn't have enough left over for a radio. seriously though I wish it was in my shed. Just goes to show what can still pop up. Wonder if it was one of those urban legends "Dads mates got a phase 3 parked in his shed since 1979" that no one ever believed. Think I would prefer the other one that looked like new but I would settle for this one.
Good nest egg for your Dads mate bet he would be happy he hung on to it until now. Have you known about it for long Nicholas?

Thanks for sharing the pics
ive known about it for a while but was reluctant to say anything because last time i mentioned 5 HO's in a big shed i had all sorts of crap flung at me on this forum, and yes i know of 5 HO's hidden away in the one shed and have been asked not to say anything about where they are by a friend.you can bet there is others hidden away all over the country, the trouble is now that they are worth so much some of the stolen ones will start appearing too.i am always extremely suspisious of cars with tags removed no matter what reason owner gives.
Old 21-04-2007, 10:36 PM   #95
mako
Starter Motor

Thanks
Good to see one that hasn't been butchered but he must have been tempted to get it out before now but I suppose 800k is pretty good motivation
Old 21-04-2007, 10:36 PM   #96
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Nice post Nicholas, awesome to see one hidden away like that.
Old 21-04-2007, 11:01 PM   #97
billet
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gngtho
looks like the ones ford dished out for the movie running on empty, they destroyed about 7 or 8 originals for that.

BULLSHIT, YOU GUYS REALLY MAKE SOME WILD ACCUSATIONS, was not a reall GT in the whole movie, look at it, it has XB mirrors on it
Old 21-04-2007, 11:12 PM   #98
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I am amazed at the amount of chips on people's shoulders in this thread. I think that jealousy is running amock. Great car, and bloody good luck to the owner. To all the knockers, go suck eggs!!!
Old 21-04-2007, 11:19 PM   #99
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
I am amazed at the amount of chips on people's shoulders in this thread. I think that jealousy is running amock. Great car, and bloody good luck to the owner. To all the knockers, go suck eggs!!!
Totally agree.. Outback... I think it's a classical case of the "Holy Grail" syndrome?
Hey Billet... You are correct (though you elequence ain't) Running on empty was made in 1982.. Not a real HO in it
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 21-04-2007, 11:25 PM   #100
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
Totally agree.. Outback... I think it's a classical case of the "Holy Grail" syndrome?
Hey Billet... You are correct (though you elequence ain't) Running on empty was made in 1982.. Not a real HO in it
And a 6cyl Monaro tipping over too at the start
Old 21-04-2007, 11:28 PM   #101
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gngtho
looks like the ones ford dished out for the movie running on empty, they destroyed about 7 or 8 originals for that.
And the fact that the one that rolled was a 6 cyl? The movie was made for about $50k .... dont think they wanted to stuff to many cars up.

There are 3 types of people who always argue there worth!

1.Those who dont know (overpriced in thier opinion only)
2.Those who may know and want one but dont have the $$$$ (overpriced because they cant afford one)
3.And those that know and want one and will pay what they beleive to be worth to them......even when one hits the 1 mill! (the fortunate ones)

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 21-04-2007, 11:36 PM   #102
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
And the fact that the one that rolled was a 6 cyl? The movie was made for about $50k .... dont think they wanted to stuff to many cars up.

There are 3 types of people who always argue there worth!

1.Those who dont know (overpriced in thier opinion only)
2.Those who may know and want one but dont have the $$$$ (overpriced because they cant afford one)
3.And those that know and want one and will pay what they beleive to be worth to them......even when one hits the 1 mill! (the fortunate ones)
I would rather own your Landau!! A coupe with CLASS. A GTHO does nothing for me and would be a pig to drive, seriously a Landau is more desirable IMO, I hate to say it, but it's as close to a factory pimpmobile as you can get, go on call me a moron,
Old 21-04-2007, 11:40 PM   #103
perthxr6t
PERTHXR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
I would rather own your Landau!! A coupe with CLASS. A GTHO does nothing for me and would be a pig to drive, seriously a Landau has more cred IMO, I hate to say it, but it's as close to a factory pimpmobile as you can get, go on call me a moron,

You Moron :

Panther Black XR5T Mondeo
Sunroof
BlueTooth
Mods So Far

Air Box Mod
Lowered Eibach Springs 25mm
Alloy foot Pedals
Waiting for the Edit to come
Custom Cat Back Zorst
Old 21-04-2007, 11:41 PM   #104
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
I would rather own your Landau!! A coupe with CLASS. A GTHO does nothing for me and would be a pig to drive, seriously a Landau is more desirable IMO, I hate to say it, but it's as close to a factory pimpmobile as you can get, go on call me a moron,
Of course you wont get an argument out off me on that ...I could have bought a few GT's in my time but like the more obscure?... but I am sure there may be many that will!!!!! :

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 21-04-2007, 11:43 PM   #105
billet
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool

sorry about that, :
some of these guys posts are rediculous, I have driven two P3 in my life including the black one that started this price phenonomen, on several occasions. The x-owner and I have both got BAGT's and know which is the better car to drive, faster 150mph+, quicker 13.8 quarter, steer and stop to boot, we still have old GT's too. However, you cant knock the new GT for driving, the old ones for showing/ investing/ criusing but compared to the new generation they no longer perform. BTW I have a car in the garage just been sitting there for a few years now and the engine bay looks like total crap with dust, surface rust etc, none of which was there when it was parked

P3 value in 1979, just under 20k a mate bought his first then for 18k with sunroof
Old 21-04-2007, 11:59 PM   #106
Scott

What a great find, thanks for the pics!
Old 22-04-2007, 12:00 AM   #107
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by billet
sorry about that, :
some of these guys posts are rediculous, I have driven two P3 in my life including the black one that started this price phenonomen, on several occasions. The x-owner and I have both got BAGT's and know which is the better car to drive, faster 150mph+, quicker 13.8 quarter, steer and stop to boot, we still have old GT's too. However, you cant knock the new GT for driving, the old ones for showing/ investing/ criusing but compared to the new generation they no longer perform. BTW I have a car in the garage just been sitting there for a few years now and the engine bay looks like total crap with dust, surface rust etc, none of which was there when it was parked

P3 value in 1979, just under 20k a mate bought his first then for 18k with sunroof
Welcome Billit, to this house of insanity.. Some guys posts ARE bordering on ridiculous agreed... But there's also an absolute wealth of knowledge from some pretty Ford-smart people here!.. Persist please, and look around!
nicholas.. apologies for hijacking!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 22-04-2007, 12:49 AM   #108
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's some embarrasingly stupid comments been made in here...

Anyway.. im mesmorised by the originality of this car, thanks heaps Nicholas for posting the pics, keep them coming if you can.

P.S i think i also know of those 5 HO's locked away too.

Old 22-04-2007, 01:07 AM   #109
Hitman
Way over here

Quote:
Originally Posted by chich
No my friend, the idiot is the person who spends $800K on this overhyped heap of Australian garbage.

I'll have my Murcielago in yellow thanks - just place the remaining $150K cash in this here suitcase...
You go right ahead and buy your depreciating asset.

I think you're on the wrong forum if you believe a Phase 3 is an overhyped peice of garbage.

In fact, why don't you just go and **** off.
Old 22-04-2007, 01:08 AM   #110
mumbo.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
The movie was made for about $50k ....
That must have been why they ended up with Deborah Conway :

Back on topic, I aplaud the owner who had the foresight to see what these cars might be worth when he took it off the road. A great investment decision!

Would I pay $800K for one? Even though I have loved these cars for as long as I can remember, no I wouldn't. Not even if I won lotto. Okay, perhaps if I won $20 million. But as an investment I see these cars as extremely risky and they are obviously too valuable to drive as they were meant so they are not for me.

Thank goodness they made the regular GT, the Rhino and that you can still make your very own replica.
Old 22-04-2007, 01:10 AM   #111
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always find it funny that there is always someone who knows someone with a Phase III hidden away. I bet you if you gathered all of them today there'd be more now than there was in 1971. :
Not that im saying that this one is fake, but when you're talking big money like that its not hard to make it look real.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 22-04-2007, 01:11 AM   #112
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
There's some embarrasingly stupid comments been made in here...

Anyway.. im mesmorised by the originality of this car, thanks heaps Nicholas for posting the pics, keep them coming if you can.

P.S i think i also know of those 5 HO's locked away too.
its amazing how original it is,and if your refering to an old bloke in NSW/canberra,then we must know at least one friend of a friend ,small world sometimes.p.s. in the late 70's early 80's my brother used to run with a group that raced ski boats and one of them had a PH2 Ho in shed ,when you walked into his garage there was a body shell undercovers and up in the loft was rows of big shelves with the rest of the car all in order with lots of grease and wrapping to protect it,from memory it had 300miles on clock, he once had his other GT stolen from same shed after they removed two cars to the street that were blocking it in,got past the alarm system and the padlock on his shed while he was asleep in bedroom overlooking the driveway,so its very understandable why owners dont like details been given out about classic cars
Old 22-04-2007, 01:18 AM   #113
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas
its amazing how original it is,and if your refering to an old bloke in NSW/canberra,then we must know at least one friend of a friend ,small world sometimes.p.s. in the late 70's early 80's my brother used to run with a group that raced ski boats and one of them had a PH2 Ho in shed ,when you walked into his garage there was a body shell undercovers and up in the loft was rows of big shelves with the rest of the car all in order with lots of grease and wrapping to protect it,from memory it had 300miles on clock, he once had his other GT stolen from same shed after they removed two cars to the street that were blocking it in,got past the alarm system and the padlock on his shed while he was asleep in bedroom overlooking the driveway,so its very understandable why owners dont like details been given out about classic cars
I know atleast 5 people with multiple HO's, one has 5 (and now 6 i think?), but he's in Vic. I dare say he's looked at this car recently..

Old 22-04-2007, 01:26 AM   #114
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Quote:
Sorry guys but what a waste of money. $800K for a 36yo Falcon that looks to be in rubbish condition.
mate, if it has matching plates for the body AND engine, then sure people are gonna pay that much!
My uncle has a very rare XB GT coupe RPL30. Its currently being restored, and it has the origianl motor as well. this car will be in mint original condition. It spent three years having the shell done and it is now 100% rust free with everything perfect. Once it was done (about 4 months ago) he was offered 5k for a rear quater panel!
Old 22-04-2007, 01:27 AM   #115
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah,this has had a lot of interest just from word of mouth,some very well known names in car circles have seen it and more looking tomorrow and Monday but i dont think any would want me saying who they are.god i cant afford to do my Faker up the way i want to ,im so amazed my mate never put it on road even just for a few drives,
Old 22-04-2007, 01:32 AM   #116
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most of the enthusiasts are spooked by their value now.. and are too frightened to drive them.
I should post a pic of my mates low mile HO3 engine bay, its totally original, never restored, looks like the day it rolled down Fords line.. the car is a time warp, looks almost faultless. Its forsale too in the near future.

Old 22-04-2007, 01:34 AM   #117
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako
Its a poverty pack didn't have enough left over for a radio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Just wondering even though the car was apparently ordered without the blackouts on the bonnet and stripes, I would think the appeal factor wouldn't be as great compared to one that did have these blackouts and stripes. Therefore not worth as much without?
hmm..... might be worth investigating.... i remember reading somewhere that the HO's that were bought to be raced were often ordered minus stripes, blackouts, radio's, etc......
Old 22-04-2007, 01:35 AM   #118
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
Right on , Outback
This guy was smart enough to look ahead and realise that the value wouldn't go "down" and tucked it away , Unmolested and Unrestored . If we all had hindsight like that , there wouldn't be so few Genuine articles of this quality around . It's great to see there are some ...

How many still exist like this , NOT many . Good luck to the owner and I congratulate the new owner (who ever it will be ) being able to possess such a Fine Article

Yes , I'm jealous - No , I don't have the cash - but appreciate what these cars are and should be kept for future generations to see .Anyone can have a copy , but there's nothing like "the real deal" .

On the History Channel today there was an article about Henry's Fords "Quadricycle" , these cars are right up there with that one .

Nicholas , great find mate , shows there are still a few out there , and thanks for showing us this one .

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
Old 22-04-2007, 01:35 AM   #119
mumbo.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas
yeah,this has had a lot of interest just from word of mouth,some very well known names in car circles have seen it ...
Your mate should get an agent to market the car like that auction house or Grand Tourer. They seem to be able to get the best prices. You can guarantee that a fair few of the people looking at the car are traders/spotters looking to simply flip it for a cool profit.
Old 22-04-2007, 01:37 AM   #120
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor
hmm..... might be worth investigating.... i remember reading somewhere that the HO's that were bought to be raced were often ordered minus stripes, blackouts, radio's, etc......
The car is delete bonnet blackouts and delete roo's.