Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 16-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #91
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The Aurion uses as much fuel as a 6 speed XT, yet it weighs at least 100kg less and its only slightly quicker.

If it weighed the same as a Falcon it would be worse on fuel and slower. Its not that good a motor. Kilo for kilo the Falcon 6 is better.
Old 16-02-2010, 10:05 PM   #92
DTFRMONT

I had a Presara as a renter last year. Wasn't a bad car, especially for a rental with 40,000 on the clock. There were a few nice touches (electric rear blind, reversing camera, button start & the gagues) But as previous posters have said, it was let down by the handling & the fuel consuption was nothing to write home about. But I wouldn't complain if I was given one, especially in Presara or Sportivo ZR6 trim. But I'd pay a visit to Mr Pedders though
Old 16-02-2010, 10:51 PM   #93
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
On comparing the SX6 and SV6, you'd still make a good argument for the SX6. That being the only problem is it's a front wheel drive.

Advantages:
$3300 cheaper on RRP
Tare mass is a little lighter
9.9l/100km (versus 10.1 - though I bet the Aurion does a better job of achieving its quoted figure than the GM)
6 stack CD player standard
Full size spare
Climate control aircon
iPod/USB jacks
Reverse camera
$130/3yr/60,000km capped servicing...

And not to mention, I will sell you one well under 40k too :P
Did you read that straight from your sales literature? No ones interested in buying one so is the continual sales pitch really necessary.
Old 17-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #94
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Are you sure you really want to keep argueing this?

$39,990 RRP omega

$35,990 RRP ATX

ERRR NO.

Only an idiot pays $39,990 for an Omega. Fleets get them for closer to $33k

International is $36k, similiar to XT being $39k and G6/XR6 being $36k
Old 17-02-2010, 12:26 PM   #95
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Can we all stop arguing about speed? At one mag or another all cars are rated at 6.something seconds to 100km/h, which is very quick.

Discussion should be around handling, safety, comfort and value.
Old 17-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #96
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MkIIFutura

FFS I don't care what fleet get them for, if that's the case the aurion would be cheaper again so its a mute point, I was bringing factual figures into the argument so that people were educated on what they were saying, how hard is that to understand? :

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
Old 17-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #97
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MkIIFutura

Why is the xt $39k and the G6/xr6 $36k? And why is the omega $39k when you can get a SV6 for $35k?
Old 17-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #98
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

its called RRP, the RRP on a XR6 6speed non auto is $44,490

yes no one pays that for them but its a base line figure, and one you can use to compare vehicles with other wise RRP wouldnt exist.

Discounted price is just another bag of worms altogether

Old 17-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #99
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Specials to boost sales kezzer, generate interest and move stock. Omegas and xt's sell to fleets, at fleet pricing, and Joe Average can buy a sportier-than-base-model car for a good price. Win win if the company sells enough.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 17-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #100
kezzer

alright, yeah I understand, same in the music industry, RRP for one of my guitars was $4000rrp, but no one pays that much, dealers do you a 'massive discount' because your a 'nice' guy haha, slightly off topic, but it's all just marketing.

Iggy, i get what you mean, i presume ford and holden make more money off their sporty models?
Old 17-02-2010, 01:04 PM   #101
YOOT
Banned

Aurions aren't bad, I considered buying one over a BF Xr6 Speed a while back simply for my wife to drive around in. Second hand they are excellent value and they are *just* that much more trouble free than the Ford/Holden brands.

At the moment, if I was in the market for a sedan, I wouldn't go past the FG XR6. Absolutely fantastic value, even the G6 SE. But as always, I have had a few Fords and all of them have annoying issues that you don't get with other brands (at least i haven't). Things like my brand new BA XR6T ute had wiper blades that stopped mid windshield the day i drove it out the yard. Had to replace the motors. Then the bump strip in the drivers door just came unstuck, fixed on first service. Then the computer had to reflashed several times for fixing surging and overboost cut out. None of these upset me, but now I have owned other brands, I can't even remember what the dealership looks like because I have never had to go back. Every singel piece of the car is the same as it was the day I bought it. None of my Fords could EVER boast about things like that.

I drove an Aurion as a rental for about 500kms, and I agree, its a nice car. Its not a race car, but its better than a camry and fine alternative to Commodore and Falcon. For a town car its excellent, easy to drive, and light under foot (feels nimble at traffic speeds).

Not the sort of car I could give a damn about how fast it went, as long as it can overtake and get on the freeway, its fine.
Old 17-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #102
xr8ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
What an SSV? Yeah right.
Nah I meant the Omega V special Holden brought out.
Old 17-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #103
xr8ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
I sure agree there, theres not a single Aurion ive seen try to be a hero at the lights, or out on the hwy. Unless its a cop car.
I might pretend that I am a hero. You got to have go dont you?
Old 17-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #104
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Did you read that straight from your sales literature? No ones interested in buying one so is the continual sales pitch really necessary.
I used the carpoint.com.au car comparison page actually :P
Old 18-02-2010, 10:26 AM   #105
Hidden Taco
Starter Motor

Hello People,

This post has gotten some attention over at TOCAU and I thought I would join up here and say that I found the OP's review quite accurate and I also found the replied posts quite mature and deliberate, which is refreshing.

I also wanted to say that the Aurion is quite a comfortable everyday ride in its performance ability, handling and gadgets. I don't think Toyota directly targeted the XR and SV (Sportier models) as it's prime competition but there is no doubt it is a contender. For an NA 6 it has quite the kick on the straight line and seems to do it fairly effortlessly while bouncing off redline all day long.

FWD will always be the downfall and deal breaker for some people, and yes it does and will under steer if your tires arn't grippy or wide enough and yes it will axle trump if your tires are grippy or wide (so your doomed if you do and your doomed if you don't LOL) but we are talking about a family car not a track bred car.

My opinion is that the white goods reputation of Toyota is starting to fade. Unfortunately that fading causes them to focus on bling a little more and quality a little less. But my opinion is that Toyota can afford to lower a little bit of quality. I just wish they would sack their interior designers.

Thanks to the people here that were honest and deliberate with their posting and creating a good read and to the people who are still in denial that a Toyota "Camry" can have a quicker 0-100 than its direct rivals I say stop kidding your self and lets see what the next generation of Aussie 6s brings us to play with.

Happy driving

HT
Old 18-02-2010, 10:35 AM   #106
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidden Taco
Toyota "Camry" can have a quicker 0-100 than its direct rivals I say stop kidding your self
but they don't
Old 18-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #107
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Kezzer..... when you show me a FG/VE that betters the 1/4 time i posted stock for stock then ill accept your word, untill you have DONE it not read something in wheels/motor then I really do have to question your credability.

NOTE:- ive never owned a toyota...my current lexus dosent count :P, and Id buy the FG over the aurion anyday as a DRIVERS car, but credit where credit is due.

Old 18-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #108
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

From my personal experience having driven the Aurion, the latest Falcon and the VE (albeit, the VE was the first VE not the latest) the Aurion easily accounts for them in a straight line drag.

I'm a born and bred Ford supporter also... but like UNR8D said, credit where credit is due.
Old 18-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #109
kezzer

Thats all well, but really for a proper comparison, would need to have all three cars on the same track, same day, same conditions, same driver. Which is what a few magazines have done. I can go out and get a time slip of my xr6, but even if I beat 14.6s doesn't mean it's accurate to compare them. I don't really have the time or money to take three cars down to the tracks for the day.
Neither you or any of the other people in this thread have also done this. So saying the Aurion is faster then a FG in your eyes is equally silly.

Why I think the magazines who have already thought of all this are a good comparison.

Remember, you said this?

Quote:
there is no way, while this earth is round that the commodore has a better V6 than the aurion. .
That is why this whole argument began, talking about performance 6's, the FG is the best out of the lot, followed by the 3.6l then the 3.5l in the aurion. Which in my opinion is accurate.

Bossxr8 made a good point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The Aurion uses as much fuel as a 6 speed XT, yet it weighs at least 100kg less and its only slightly quicker.

If it weighed the same as a Falcon it would be worse on fuel and slower. Its not that good a motor. Kilo for kilo the Falcon 6 is better.
Old 18-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #110
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Remember, you said this?

Quote:
there is no way, while this earth is round that the commodore has a better V6 than the aurion. .
and I will stand by that.

They are smoother, get better fuel consumption with out DI, defentaly quieter and only have slight KW disavantage... if you want to get technical they are 205kw on 98 so the gap is closed even further.

when I had the TS50, a mate gave me a run in his ZR6, video proof was that I had no advantage untill well past 140... and the TS was no slouch ;).

Old 18-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #111
BOSHOG
avenge me

this is the third day of this argument, i love it

the thing is youll never get through the THICK scull of a holden fanboy, they are brainwashed from birth
Old 18-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #112
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
this is the third day of this argument, i love it

the thing is youll never get through the THICK scull of a holden fanboy, they are brainwashed from birth
gives me something to do in my last week at work

Should be other things that happen at that point in time at life, however FF wouldn’t condone such behavour/s :

Old 18-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #113
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
and I will stand by that.

They are smoother, get better fuel consumption with out DI, defentaly quieter and only have slight KW disavantage... if you want to get technical they are 205kw on 98 so the gap is closed even further.
And whats the VE with 98?

The FG trumps them all on 98 anyway, don't know why you said that really.

Your welcome to believe that, I don't, the 3.5l in the VE would be a slug, the 3.6l in the aurion would be a bullet and use even less fuel, boss xr8 made a good point. Good to see you couldn't come up with anything for the rest of my post.

10kw and 14nm of torque isn't 'slight', especially considering its a downtuned motor.

Wow BOSHOG, totally missed the mark with that one :
Old 18-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #114
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
And whats the VE with 98?

The FG trumps them all on 98 anyway, don't know why you said that really.

Your welcome to believe that, I don't, the 3.5l in the VE would be a slug, the 3.6l in the aurion would be a bullet and use even less fuel, boss xr8 made a good point. Good to see you couldn't come up with anything for the rest of my post.

10kw and 14nm of torque isn't 'slight', especially considering its a downtuned motor.

Wow BOSHOG, totally missed the mark with that one :
no actually i didnt, youre the typical holden fanboy. no matter how crap the new holden is you would rather die than admit it

edit; 10kw and 14nm is very slight, this number is so minimal a difference that it could be the difference in temperature when comparing the vehicles. 10kw isnt worth mentioning
Old 18-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #115
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
no actually i didnt, youre the typical holden fanboy. no matter how crap the new holden is you would rather die than admit it

edit; 10kw and 14nm is very slight, this number is so minimal a difference that it could be the difference in temperature when comparing the vehicles. 10kw isnt worth mentioning
:

Yeah so are you, you typical holden fanboy! I never owned one. You've probably driven more then me

The immaturity of some forum members, I don't like the Aurion at all, so that makes me a fanboy? hahaha typical.

Well it is worth mentioning, otherwise your saying the FG and the Ba share the same engine, whilst it's the same 4.0l, 15kw and 10nm definetly gives the FG more go, not to mention the refinment of the motor. I should know because I own one.

EDIT: anyway, it's off topic now, i'm out, 4.0l > 3.6l > 3.5l, my opinion, and the opinion of most people I would think. If that makes me a holden fanboy then so be it. But last time I checked Ford produced the 4.0l.

Ciao

Last edited by kezzer; 18-02-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 18-02-2010, 12:30 PM   #116
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
:

Yeah so are you, you typical holden fanboy! I never owned one. You've probably driven more then me

The immaturity of some forum members, I don't like the Aurion at all, so that makes me a fanboy? hahaha typical.

Well it is worth mentioning, otherwise your saying the FG and the Ba share the same engine, whilst it's the same 4.0l, 15kw and 10nm definetly gives the FG more go, not to mention the refinment of the motor. I should know because I own one.
i dont know anyone more anti holden than me, even though my work ute is a rodeo (VERY cheap at the time)

seriously, 10kw is within the variable on any dyno, i dont read much into peak numbers, i go by how good the car drives

the differences from BA to FG NA6 is surely more than just a SLIGHT increase in power and torque, otherwise everyone wouldnt rave about them like they do.

im not gunna get caught up in a slanging match with you, as you might give me a stroke
Old 18-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #117
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Thats all well, but really for a proper comparison, would need to have all three cars on the same track, same day, same conditions, same driver. Which is what a few magazines have done. I can go out and get a time slip of my xr6, but even if I beat 14.6s doesn't mean it's accurate to compare them. I don't really have the time or money to take three cars down to the tracks for the day.
ahh ok, guess we should all stop running our cars down the 1/4 mile since it means nothing :

If you beat my time in a FG and its stock then it IS compareable.

aurion is still smoother, better on fuel than the 3.6 *WITHOUT* DI, quieter.......... do you really really need to continue this convisation?

and currently a pingpong ball would give a more subjective oppinion, because you dislike them dosent make you right, and certainly dosent make your oppinion valid, guess its the price we pay for free speech......

Last edited by UNR8D; 18-02-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 18-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #118
Wally
XP Coupe

What a strange thread. One member who owns a new model Falcon and never owned a Holden, being teased as a Holden fanboy and another member who owns a Holden claiming to be an avid Ford fanboy. There has to be a book in there somewhere.

I'm sure this is providing perplexing amusement to the Toyota boys watching on another forum. All I need is someone to translate what the hell this thread is about.... longest appendage I suspect.
Old 18-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #119
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
longest appendage I suspect
if it was about that, and the thread related to the size in real terms... this thread would only have only been one post in length ;)

Old 18-02-2010, 12:48 PM   #120
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
What a strange thread. One member who owns a new model Falcon and never owned a Holden, being teased as a Holden fanboy and another member who owns a Holden claiming to be an avid Ford fanboy. There has to be a book in there somewhere.

I'm sure this is providing perplexing amusement to the Toyota boys watching on another forum. All I need is someone to translate what the hell this thread is about.... longest appendage I suspect.
im not a ford fanboy, i just like nice cars

all im saying is id take a toyota or mitsubishi over a ford/holden na 6 for a family cruiser