Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-09-2018, 06:58 PM   #91
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: Phase 4 up for auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
only the green one is real
they are all real but this can of worms has already been opened and closed many times! at the end of the day most of us will never be able to afford such history so we may as well just enjoy the ride and the fact that such auctions of GENUINE pieces of our motoring history continue to keep the best era of all in this country at least, well and truly alive
zoesgift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2018, 08:54 PM   #92
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 
Default Re: Phase 4 up for auction

If the XA raced at bathurst, i doubt many would question how real they were.

Yes, they left the production lines as GT's, but those 3 GT's had a destiny of being a Phase 4. Looking at the dates, it was convenient for them as the HO hadn't been put into production, so there were none to build a race car from.

I do wonder, if it had all gone to plan and the Phase 4 went ahead, would these cars received a different build plate?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2018, 12:09 PM   #93
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
If the XA raced at bathurst, i doubt many would question how real they were.

Yes, they left the production lines as GT's, but those 3 GT's had a destiny of being a Phase 4. Looking at the dates, it was convenient for them as the HO hadn't been put into production, so there were none to build a race car from.

I do wonder, if it had all gone to plan and the Phase 4 went ahead, would these cars received a different build plate?
I doubt it. Just look at Moffats XA coupe that went XB, XC or whatever. They just changed sheetmetal, grilles etc on the same car to update them. No way they touched the build plate.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2018, 02:04 PM   #94
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

The Phase 4's for Bathurst 72 were to run under Group E Series Production rules which required 200 units to be built to satisfy the requirements for being a production vehicle, from 73 they changed to Group C so it didnt matter what the original configuration that rolled off the production line was.

The XA's would have retained their T code build plates as thats what they were built with.
The only point of interest really with regard to this is that had lets say Moff won the race, it would have put an end to the mystique that a genuine H code GTHO had won Bathurst as technically they were not production line GTHO's in the same vein as the 71 winner as being 1 of the 300 built and plated XY GTHO's.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #95
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Short answer is no. Historically there were a numbers of cars that were previously raced as GTHOs by FoMoCo that were plated as Falcon GTs with no HO stamped on the compliance plate. Some were also stamped T Codes. These cars are all today considered to be GTHOs by car collectors regardless of some of our forum members amusing expert opinions.

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2018, 06:42 PM   #96
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO 3 View Post
Short answer is no. Historically there were a numbers of cars that were previously raced as GTHOs by FoMoCo that were plated as Falcon GTs with no HO stamped on the compliance plate. Some were also stamped T Codes. These cars are all today considered to be GTHOs by car collectors regardless of some of our forum members amusing expert opinions.

Cheers Mick
I guess that's where fact and fiction depart ways, yeah? As a collector, you'll believe what you need to believe and the rest of us... well...

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...sh/revisionism
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2018, 07:13 PM   #97
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

Cheers Mick
Genuine question Mick.

Would the 3 XA GTHO works cars be considered part of the minimum build (200) for compliance in Group E racing at the time Mick?
2 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2018, 08:34 PM   #98
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:

Cheers Mick
I have to respectfully disagree with your opinion.

Car collectors...?
I feel the only ones pushing that barrow are the ones trying to profit from the XA HO mystique.

A real HO came down the production line as a HO, plain and simple.
Anything can be changed, modified, added to any vehicle after it has left the production line.

The three XA race cars in question were race prepared GT Falcons.
I'm not disputing their importance in Australian Motor Racing history and associated values, but they are not HO's.
How could they be HO's before HO production even started?
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread

Last edited by PG2; 28-09-2018 at 01:14 AM. Reason: yeah mate, just in case it does offend someone.
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2018, 08:47 PM   #99
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Genuine question Mick.

Would the 3 XA GTHO works cars be considered part of the minimum build (200) for compliance in Group E racing at the time Mick?

Yes they would of been included in the GTHO count like the other cars that I mentioned previously...................I think the point old mate above is hung up about is the stamping on the compliance plate. The key point to remember is XA GTHO "Works" car, intended to be raced as a GTHO by its manufacturer, vs XA GTHO road car are different animals in a way. You either get your head around it or you don't and some clearly don't. Imagine If these HO4s had gone to battle at Bathurst in 1972 would Moffats reaction been " I'm not driving one of these there only fkn T codes?" Yeah, Nah don't think so.

Cheers Mick
Old 27-09-2018, 09:00 PM   #100
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with your opinion.

Car collectors...?
I feel the only ones pushing that barrow are the ones trying to profit from the XA HO mystique.

A real HO came down the production line as a HO, plain and simple.
Anything can be changed, modified, added to any vehicle after it has left the production line.

The three XA race cars in question were race prepared GT Falcons.
I'm not disputing their importance in Australian Motor Racing history and associated values, but they are not HO's.
How could they be HO's before HO production even started?
These cars were new, had not been retailed and were to receive there cut and tuck while still in possession of the manufacturer and raced by Ford as HO4s.

Cheers Mick

Last edited by PG2; 28-09-2018 at 01:15 AM. Reason: quoting edited post
6 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2018, 09:01 PM   #101
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Not "hung up" on anything, genuine question.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2018, 09:05 PM   #102
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Why are you so hung up on them having to be called HO's when they're clearly not?
There's no shame in what they are and they are valuable and important pieces of history.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2018, 09:06 PM   #103
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not "hung up" on anything, genuine question.

I was referring to others when answering your question.

Cheers Mick
Old 27-09-2018, 09:23 PM   #104
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Yes they would of been included in the GTHO count like the other cars that I mentioned previously...................I think the point old mate above is hung up about is the stamping on the compliance plate. The key point to remember is XA GTHO "Works" car, intended to be raced as a GTHO by its manufacturer, vs XA GTHO road car are different animals in a way. You either get your head around it or you don't and some clearly don't. Imagine If these HO4s had gone to battle at Bathurst in 1972 would Moffats reaction been " I'm not driving one of these there only fkn T codes?" Yeah, Nah don't think so.

Cheers Mick
Thanks Mick.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2018, 10:12 PM   #105
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

My mum had XA GT , hers was yellow.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2018, 12:33 PM   #106
bundera

Video for those interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXJ7yLG2KlI
bundera is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2018, 01:56 PM   #107
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundera View Post

That HO3 has had quite a bit of paint work for an unrestored car?

Cheers Mick
Old 30-09-2018, 08:34 PM   #108
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundera View Post
Good VID, but look at the build quality.. Rubbish..

I still dont understand all the hype. Just old cars. And to do 200 miles in 20 years.

That car is just a painting. What a shame....

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 30-09-2018, 09:00 PM   #109
northey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrunner View Post
Well that was a nostalgic read after last reading this mag in 1987

In short this P4 would appear to be ridgy didge but the mag only covers up to 1987.

The 3 racing prototype versions were painted Brambles Red also referred to as Bushfire Red. The three were supplied by Ford to the following. John Goss, Bruce Hodgson and Keith Goodhall. The vins are:

JG33MC78429K - Given to Keith Goodhall

It was the most completed P4 at that time. It was supplied to Goodhall by Ford with rally suspension as he did rallying. On a trip to Darwin it also dropped two pushrods and repairs were half hearted.

David Bowden brought it from Keith Goodhall.

It appears he then sold it to Kim Rane who drag raced it but he overcooked it at 8000rpm and she threw a rod. The engine was rebuilt using another block so its total originality was now gone. It also lost its original eared sump presuambly as it was also damaged.

Bowden then repurchased it from Rane in 1980 but indicates it was in poor shape and the engine was not nice so it was rebuilt again.

Well, I'm pretty sure I know where that missing sump ended up. A mate and I were drag racing back then and we cut up the eared sump which came from Keith Goodall's Ph4 HO to modify our drag car sump (welding the ears onto it). So that sump never made it to the next owner unless there was a spare one we ended up with. We discussed the sacrilege even then, being Ford and HO fans of what we were about to do.............and then did it anyway. I'm not sure I ever recovered from it.
northey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2018, 09:15 PM   #110
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That HO3 has had quite a bit of paint work for an unrestored car?

Cheers Mick
ive not seen the car in the flesh to comment on the external paint but that motor has been out and painted imho. trim looks great id still have it over most others that have come onto the public market in the last 2 yrs and id have it over the prototype also

Last edited by zoesgift; 30-09-2018 at 09:18 PM. Reason: forgot
Old 30-09-2018, 10:19 PM   #111
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoesgift View Post
ive not seen the car in the flesh to comment on the external paint but that motor has been out and painted imho. trim looks great id still have it over most others that have come onto the public market in the last 2 yrs and id have it over the prototype also

Yes Michael I'm sure it's a lovely car, more a maintained class car than unrestored imo........

Cheers Mick

Last edited by HO 3; 30-09-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Old 30-09-2018, 10:44 PM   #112
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all those in favour? I I I I I lol
Old 30-09-2018, 10:46 PM   #113
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes Michael I'm sure it's a lovely car, more a maintained class car than unrestored imo...........................and it doesn't have a dodgy compliance plate which is always a bonus.

Cheers Mick
the compliance plate thing is a growing concern....at least AMC don't mention that its matching nos though
Old 01-10-2018, 12:37 AM   #114
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoesgift View Post
the compliance plate thing is a growing concern....at least AMC don't mention that its matching nos though

Yeah agreed, that is another interesting effort ..............

Cheers Mick
2 users like this post:
Old 02-10-2018, 03:17 PM   #115
BJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST00wkNXBWs
Old 02-10-2018, 06:19 PM   #116
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Good VID, but look at the build quality.. Rubbish..

I still dont understand all the hype. Just old cars
. And to do 200 miles in 20 years.

That car is just a painting. What a shame....

And that’s exactly what I think about late model cars. Each to their own eh!

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2018, 12:57 AM   #117
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Doubt many late model cars get hung on the wall for 20 years.

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 03-10-2018, 11:52 AM   #118
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if its your car you can do what you want I guess! if you are lucky enough these days to come across or own a time warp car, its in the best interests from a historical point of view at least, to maintain as much as possible and do as little as possible which takes away from the originality. this generally serves you well come selling time also, just by the fact its rarely seen in this condition. personally I don't understand the concept of buying a modern car because its got certain initials or name (eg GT or monaro) and then parking it but whatever rocks your boat really. imagine the uproar if someone paid a kings ransom for a car like this xa prototype ph4 with its low miles and then decided he/she wanted to restore it?!
Old 05-10-2018, 08:25 PM   #119
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Doubt many late model cars get hung on the wall for 20 years.
One of the many times I took it out of the picture frame

That’s a Lakeside Park Raceway incase you didn’t recognise it.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2018, 10:20 PM   #120
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Default Phase 4 up for auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73 4V XB View Post
One of the many times I took it out of the picture frame

That’s a Lakeside Park Raceway incase you didn’t recognise it.

Pffft. Show pony with too many doors

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post: