Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-09-2006, 12:00 PM   #91
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Whats wrong with the BOSS? Well, a few things actually....

The heads and manifold flow too well for the state of tune that is comes out from the factory. The stroke is way too long, but with the huge flowing heads you can't utilise the long stroke for torque, nor can you utilise the huge flowing heads up top because the long stroke limits the revs. So that equates to being very doughy down low, and power being cut way too short up top. BOSS needs VCT, dual stage (broadband) manifold, and some stronger rods for an extra 1000rpm!

Also, the physical size, weight and dimensions of the big lump is another big problem. First of all it weighs way too much. It needs an alloy block! That would help curb 40kg from the front. But the other problem is that it's so large that even when fitted as low as possible in the car, Ford still needed to make a sweet looking bonnet bulge just to clear the plenum! This results in a car that struggles in the handling department compared to the Turbo 6 as it understeers a lot more.

But there are good things about the BOSS. The bulge looks horn from behind the cabin, and that engine note is to die for! But it's not enough for me at the moment. The BOSS motor has the potential to deliver a lot more, I just hope FPV and Ford persevere, imrpove, and eventually, give us blue blooded Ford V8 nuts that factory V8 we've been missing for 35 years...
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 12:27 PM   #92
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Whats wrong with the BOSS? Well, a few things actually....

The heads and manifold flow too well for the state of tune that is comes out from the factory. The stroke is way too long, but with the huge flowing heads you can't utilise the long stroke for torque, nor can you utilise the huge flowing heads up top because the long stroke limits the revs. So that equates to being very doughy down low, and power being cut way too short up top. BOSS needs VCT, dual stage (broadband) manifold, and some stronger rods for an extra 1000rpm!

Also, the physical size, weight and dimensions of the big lump is another big problem. First of all it weighs way too much. It needs an alloy block! That would help curb 40kg from the front. But the other problem is that it's so large that even when fitted as low as possible in the car, Ford still needed to make a sweet looking bonnet bulge just to clear the plenum! This results in a car that struggles in the handling department compared to the Turbo 6 as it understeers a lot more.

But there are good things about the BOSS. The bulge looks horn from behind the cabin, and that engine note is to die for! But it's not enough for me at the moment. The BOSS motor has the potential to deliver a lot more, I just hope FPV and Ford persevere, imrpove, and eventually, give us blue blooded Ford V8 nuts that factory V8 we've been missing for 35 years...
True, although there's plenty there untapped even if they did nothing more than just play with the ECU.

If they really wanted to get fair dinkum they could increase the bore slightly and make a 6L alloy block, and use the std stroke crank, same heads etc and it would make 340kw and 580nm all day long.. in mild tune...
DOHC engines offer such potiential its almost criminal for them NOT to explore its potential more.
Anyone who says DOHC does not offer enourmous tuning benefits over 2 valve pushrod is totally clueless about automotive mechanical engineering....

Old 24-09-2006, 07:24 PM   #93
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ted
I agree, after watching the V8 brute ute series and the GT production series, it has revitalised my love for the boss.
The V8 brutes don't use the boss yet do they ??

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 07:25 PM   #94
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
The V8 brutes don't use the boss yet do they ??
Yep, been using them for nearly 12 months, BOSS 260's, with motec engine management, CAI and exhaust.. The Holdens cant match them for pace or power.

Old 24-09-2006, 07:31 PM   #95
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Yep, been using them for nearly 12 months, BOSS 260's, with motec engine management, CAI and exhaust.. The Holdens cant match them for pace or power.
I better start watching tv a bit more, thanks for the update

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 07:46 PM   #96
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
I better start watching tv a bit more, thanks for the update
The Performance production car series is pretty good too, the XR8 led the SS's and XR6T's and won at Phillip island from memory.

Old 24-09-2006, 08:11 PM   #97
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcams
And you can get a run of the mill 3v XT and spend 5k on mods kill a HSV. :hihi:
You wouldn't be talking about my BA XT would you Wade?

For those of you who don't know and there seems to be a few in this thread the BA XT V8 is a single overhead camshaft engine with 3 valves per cylinder and has variable camshaft timing. As quadcams said spend 5k and you got yourself a HSV/XR8/GT killer.

My latest customers car is a BA XT 3V auto and has run 12.58 @110.58 MPH in race trim and will run 12.9's in FULL street trim now that's pretty stout for a non performance vehicle.

The low down torque in these cars is amazing, i own a highly modded XR8 and have just sold my BA XT V8 and i will tell ya the XT is a much more stronger car up to 5500 RPM then they run out of steam due to the camshaft configuration.

Cheers Craig
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 08:12 PM   #98
strife

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Better not tell them that then isnt the last race top 10 comprised of 5 ford and 5 holdens with a holden winning the race

Last edited by strife; 24-09-2006 at 08:28 PM. Reason: mixed results up
strife is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 09:33 PM   #99
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Boss Powered cars have been doing quite well in Production based racing actually, in the production car series the XR8 is 2nd in Class A (?) behind and XR6T and infront of another XR6T.

In the V8 utes two fords are at the top of the table and as 4Vman said the holdens are struggling to match the XR8's pace at most tracks.

You cannot really count the Performance Car championship as last time i checked the GT's Run an Alloy Block...
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post