Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #91
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I quit about 2 years ago.... Got an X-box... and had an argument with the partner... she smokes too, so i woke up with the shits... played Xbox all day, ignored her ( so stayed inside ) then went to bed...... woke up, thought , bugger, made it this far, may as well stop

(Only works if you smoke outside only) :P
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

After a patient 2 years...
Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
XRSIKS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #92
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Worked for 16 years in a high stress job where nearly everybody smoked (a Jail). tried to give up a couple of times. Managed a 4 year stretch without smokes once.

For the last year & a half I've worked in a low stress, non smoking workplace where only 1 or 2 smoke (you never see 'em) so I found giving up easy using patches.
Even now if I wander down the street and see some one having a smoke I think to meself - 'Id like one a' those', it is a fleeting thought.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #93
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I'm 19 approaching 20 and smoked since 13. I would love to not smoke but right now I believe it would be too hard to stop. I like to go out and it's too hard not to smoke around the other smokers. At least I'm down to 2 35 packets a week. If I could quit I would but hey.. I consider myself a lost cause for the next few years!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2009, 05:00 PM   #94
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, I read Alan Carrs book "Easy Way to Stop Smoking" in mid February...THis made me cut down from 16 a day down to 8.

Not satisfied I booked a hypnotherapy non smoking program which consists of 2 sessions at a total cost of $350...The first session was booked for 2 weeks after I phoned to inquire....Stopped smoking a week before the first hypno appointment....That was 3 weeks ago yesterday. Had the 2nd hypno appointment last Friday. Haven't had a smoke since 6 March.

Can't say it's been a total success though as I still get occasional cravings. especially when on the Forums having a coffee/beer. However I've increased my exercise program from 4 x a week at gym to 6 times plus jogging and swimming...It's true what they say about breathing improvement and food taste in the initial stages. I've been out drinking twice since quitting and never had the urge to smoke except with the first drink then it wears off...helps to be out with non smokers sitting indoors in a pub rather than outside.

Also helps to throw out any supplies of cigarettes in your cupboards at home too as its just so damn easy to pick one up and light up...More of a pain to run to the shop and buy a packet
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 10:04 PM   #95
russxr67
I hate ricers

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always seems to post good advice and is pretty helpful. 

whoops,double post

Last edited by russxr67; 29-03-2009 at 10:07 PM. Reason: double post
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 10:06 PM   #96
russxr67
I hate ricers

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always seems to post good advice and is pretty helpful. 

Day 8 since I quit.
Been a bit of a moody at times,but you get that going cold turkey.
I even found that I could have a few beers and not indulge in the ciggies.

I feel great.

You need to be ready to give up. Getting pressured into it won't work.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2009, 12:20 AM   #97
TopGunT3
Monsoon Blue

Congrats to those trying to kick it.

Cold turkey is really the only way. I smoked a pack a day for 15 years but have now been clean for 22 years.

Calculated the savings a couple of years ago and convinced the financial controller to let me get the TS50 - I earned it!! and I'm still around to enjoy it.

It is b......y hard at first but as time goes on it gets easier.

My twist... I kept the open packet, lighters and the cartons I had when I decided to quit during a bout of the flu. Did not tell anyone (builds expectations that destroy you if you fail). Told myself that I could light up anytime I liked - that provokes the willpower, and was able to resist and pass through the urges. After a long while, did even light up a couple of times and immediately felt sick enough to butt out.

After the flu, when I couldnt smoke even if I wanted to, I told myself that was one week - that turned to two, a month, 3, 6, 9 months - a year.... After a while it does not become important anymore. After 6 months I gave my (now stale) packets to some mates and announced the quit - and received accolades for the effort rather than the ribbing if announcing intent to quit.

Hang in there Boosted AU - if you fail, you have to sell the new car as you will not have earned it.

T3 TS50 5.6L Stroker, build no. 015
Herrod enhancements; Pacemaker headers; CSC Brake upgrade; Sunroof; Premium Sound; Tint. (and..towbar - now gone!)

Daily - 88 KE Laser TX3 Turbo. Blow off valve, turbo timer, 17' genuine Simmons, Koni's, stabilisers. 6 speaker audio system etc. (...what crisis?)
TopGunT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 04:58 PM   #98
vandrsxr6
Force Fed Fords

First day of champix today. I've tried the patches about 6 times and they only worked for a couple of days.

I guess about next Wed/Thur will be the day. Fingers crossed.

310rwkw and always chasing more

Now with 6th Gear

RAPID PERFORMANCE

ORSM FORD CRUISER
vandrsxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 05:31 PM   #99
Alby1
you'd be popular too

Not me but my family member was finding it hard to cut his lawn, running out of breath, went to the doc's and on second visit doc said,
"you have cancer, your not smoking any more or you'll be dead in a couple years"
He's been smoking for sixty years, lucky for him it's clearing up.

Good work guys getting of the stuff

Al
Alby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 08:44 PM   #100
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

i havent had a smoke since my hypno witch was about a week after i started this thread

thanks to everyone who recomened hypno to me, it has changed my life, now im going back to see about healthy eating

, but i dream about it? WTF???

its kinda scary, but its the best thing ive done,

BF XR6T Ute - 422rwhp tuned by FPT Toowoomba

Where the boost junkies hang out -Forced Ford Forums
Cookie-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2009, 12:30 AM   #101
matteh
Starter Motor

ive quit for about 2 months now. best thing i ever did. my wallet is fatter and i feel better when i wake up and generally.

went cold turkey. and been mint ever since
matteh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #102
GT 4eva

champix but you still have to WANT to quit however you do it
GT 4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #103
cortEA

Cold turkey 7.5 years ago finished my last pack of smokes and said that was it. Still get urges of course but that normal.

Cheers Corey

Missus car: 04 Subaru Impreza RS with fully sic cannon

Drag car: '76 TD Cortina, 4.0 AU motor, 4 spd single rail, 4 puck solid centre brass button clutch, 17" chromies, 600*300*76 FMIC, Garrett TB 4133 Turbo, BA XR6T inj's, Malpassi, Walbro etc etc...
cortEA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #104
AustinA40
Tourer

Default AustinA40

I gave up 22 years ago, I tried cutting down, does not work, tried herbal fags, does not work, all these expensive stop smoking cures were not around then, a friend of mine tried patches, did not work, now has throat cancer, the only way is willpower, it's hard but you just perservere. The gains are worth it, healthier, more energy, wealthier, breath does not stink, clothes do not stink, house does not stink and your fingers do not look like they went through the toilet paper.
AustinA40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #105
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now into my 4th week....Still haven't had one...Was out drinking last night and didn't get the urge..so i'm pretty pleased
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 02-04-2009, 06:53 PM   #106
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

first time i quit i had my last cigarette before i went to bed and had a brand new packet waiting for the morning, i thought to myself i will see how long it takes to open it. i quit for 9 months with the help of minties and fantales inplace of ciggies.

i then started again due to certain things in life....up and coming wedding.that was 6 years ago.

now i have been smokefree for 3.5 moths cold turkey again with no help from lollies or patches. good part about this time around is i quit because i had really bad broncitis mid december and just woke up and didnt have another smoke again. all my co workers (mechaincs workshop with 4 smokers) quit aswell and we have been smoke free since that day.

bad part about quittting is when your body is clearing all the crap out you spit is disgusting even 3 months down the track.
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #107
richa
handsomest man in showbiz

Thumbs up Worked for us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Go and buy a book called Allan Carr's Easy Guide to Quit Smoking - it has worked for 5 out of 6 of my friends and myself, and I swear by it.

$26 bucks - what have you got to lose

http://www.dymocks.com.au/ProductDet...=9780141026893
This book is amazing...both myself(an absolute skeptic) and partner read it one after the other..and we both quit smoking by about 2/3 of the way through.It just gets in your head..then you quit..no cravings,no stress.
PS...and from memory,if it doesn't work you can get a refund on it.

'72 GS
richa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #108
VeloXR6
JesusDrivesAFord

The book works
Old 05-04-2009, 03:06 PM   #109
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

i love not smoking

Old 05-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #110
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got given that book from my sister last year for my birthday. I may even take it out of its packet one day
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #111
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

do it, the best thing i need was quit smoking, now just need to shred some kgs

Old 01-06-2009, 05:57 PM   #112
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
Now into my 4th week....Still haven't had one...Was out drinking last night and didn't get the urge..so i'm pretty pleased

Ok now up to 12th week today and still off them ....The urges still come occasionally but they're nowhere near as bad

Old 01-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #113
MAD
Petro-sexual

Have you found yourself occasionally realising you haven't thought about a smoke for quite a while?
I thought it was amazing when that happened to me.
It still happens now but different, now it's "oh yeah I used to smoke didn't I"

Congratulations on your achievement so far!
Old 01-06-2009, 06:04 PM   #114
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
Have you found yourself occasionally realising you haven't thought about a smoke for quite a while?
I thought it was amazing when that happened to me.
It still happens now but different, now it's "oh yeah I used to smoke didn't I"

Congratulations on your achievement so far!

yep hardly think about them...I can now have a few beers without getting jitters....couldn't do that in the beginning...In fact I didn't drink much at all in the first month.

I have gained about 4 kgs though which is a downer and thats despite increasing my exercise to about 45 mins a day - 5-6 days a week ....I'm tending to snack a lot more on things like chocolate, biscuits and potato chips

Old 08-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #115
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

im still smoke free, since i recived advice on here, thaks heaps guys

Old 08-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #116
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED-AU
im still smoke free, since i recived advice on here, thaks heaps guys

Good luck, well done...Me too ..Now into my 5th month

Old 08-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #117
FPVF6X189
FPV F6X

had a heart attack at 27 havent smoked since, 29 now gave up cold turkey same day
Old 08-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #118
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been smoke free for 11 years now. I gave up cold turkey after having a heart attack.

I was a 40+ a day smoker when I was smoking. It was hard for the first 4-6 weeks then the urges subside. Then you start to get the real taste of food and you start to realise what things should taste like. I don't even think about it now even with the wife smoking ( can't get her to stop). I have put on weight since stopping but try to make up for by exercising longer 4-5 times weekly.
Another bonus to giving up is that I made a deal with the wife, that while she smoked she wouldn't nag me about spending money on my cars.

Thus a new G6ET sitting in my garage :evil3:
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 09:00 PM   #119
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGODRIVEN
had a heart attack at 27 havent smoked since, 29 now gave up cold turkey same day
WOW, and they said I was young at 38! Cold turkey is the only way to give up in my opinion, you also have to be serious in wanting to give up as well.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #120
FPVF6X189
FPV F6X

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8
WOW, and they said I was young at 38!
yea it's not something i want to experience again im on six tablets a day still and will most likely be on them for life they reckon