Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #91
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you're self-conscious enough to think everyone's looking at you, maybe deep down inside you really like or want the attention?
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #92
nstg8a

lol, i just get the 'can you go round corners with the wheels tucked up like that, or, 'i think your back tyres flat'... gotta love stretched tyres.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #93
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesdodgy351
+ 1

xe's are still firmly planted in 'bogan' car territory, hence why i refuse to paint it.. as in the past you get people touching leaning on it and u get the " wats the matter its only a pos xe"

my nuckles still ache when its cold...
This really pee's me off. I have an XE and get the same thing from a few people. They always have to lean on the car for no reason when talking or even worse SIT on the boot and when I say get off they go "why..its only a **** box ford". Some people have zero respect. Just because its old and the paint is average doesnt mean I dont give a stuff. On the contrary other people are really good. Them people I like.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #94
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBCoupeGuy
Hi all,

I've been a driver of Aussie Muscle cars for over 20 years and it has never failed to amaze me the publics reaction to these cars.

I'm a fairly quiet guy and I am finding it increasingly embarassing that even just going to the servo ends up with people taking photo's of the car and wanting to talk.

Just this morning I was filling up with fuel and this guy was snapping away on his mobile phone. Now, my car is nothing special which makes it all the more embarassing, but this is a never ending thing.

I ended up with the guy sitting in the drivers seat at the servo, giving the thumbs up out the window while I snapped a pic for him on his mobile phone lol. It's getting ridiculous.

I've even had a guy jump out his work ute at the lights and give me a double overhead fist pump in appreciation of the car. I was absolutely dumb founded, but this was in Davoren Park so I shouldn't have been surprised ;-)

On Australia Day, I was doing evening lap down Semaphore and going through a round-about I had a bunch of lads in an EL Falcon give me a blast on the horn and a big thumbs up. I absolutely was not expecting it and I though they were about to t-bone my passenger door. All I heard was a blast on the horn, and I sh-at myself and ended up running up the medium strip with one wheel lol.

I'm a huge muscle car fan but at times I find the attention very embarassing. Has anyone else got any stories about "over the top" public responses to their cars?
Some time ago before taking the Jag off the road for a rebuild was on the way to a weeding and stopped for something in central Brisbane before going on to collect the Bride , came back to find a mature couple sitting in the car enjoying the leather seats and they didn't understand why I was upset , some of the crowd looking did and a frankly it was a struggle not to throw them to the ground and jump all over
Atm it looks like poo with the paint 1/2 stripped and sanded but in it's heyday 8'6" wide and 18'6" long standing 5'4" high and almost two tons
4.1 litre twin cam with triple su cars , makes a fantastic cam whine when wound up (build March 1966)
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #95
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
If you're self-conscious enough to think everyone's looking at you, maybe deep down inside you really like or want the attention?
If I'm stopped at the lights in front of a building with tinted glass, I like to look at my own reflection to see how cool I look.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #96
Dezza
Parts bin special

Reading some of these reminded me of one last year. I pulled up at a set of lights in the EA, and an old bloke pulled up next to me in a Mini Moke. He would have been around 70, had the wife-beater and shorts on, he's looked over and given an appreciative nod. It was good to see the Moke out, and he seemed to like my car as well.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #97
rocketscientist
AHHHH...WHAAATTTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
If I'm stopped at the lights in front of a building with tinted glass, I like to look at my own reflection to see how cool I look.
I do that when I'm on foot.
rocketscientist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #98
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
Wrong.
And a carload of dudes, of the demographic that usually buy ex-taxis, started hanging around doing laps.
An EA with matching panels would impress these guys.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #99
XLTDP63

love it when dads driving the XL and people ask him if his had it from new ( his 58)
and i have stoped counting how many times people have asked me if its a XP
i reckon the good attention you get makes owning an older car even better
XLTDP63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #100
XBCoupeGuy
XBCoupeGuy

Default posing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets

I sooo do that too.... lol

The car is cool though, not me lol

I also drop it back a gear and give it a bootfull whenever I go through an underpass. I love that glorious V8 sound amplifying 10 fold and reverberating at full noise - particularly when there's a ricer next to me ;-)
XBCoupeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #101
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Hey Riksta,

If you really are looking for a VN, then I have one that I'd (reluctantly) part with.
I'd love to keep it but common sense says that six cars is way too many lol

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...omad2/MySS.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...2/DSCF0347.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...d2/Final9a.jpg
PM Sent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
Some time ago before taking the Jag off the road for a rebuild was on the way to a weeding
Is that where a bunch of people get stoned?
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #102
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
PM Sent!

Is that where a bunch of people get stoned?
it's nice way of saying giant upper class ****up with someone in a white dress gets to say she does accept the no chin nerd for a life partner
Old 01-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #103
Michael_F90

I love the attention my car gets, mostly from teenagers who don't have a clue what it is and older blokes who "used to have one of those".

Except I HATE when people
a) touch my car - had one lady bang on the front guards because "old cars are tough" - as if that makes it OK to try and damage them and
b) call my car a chev -case in point on Australia day last week going through maccas drivethrough bunch of 15-16yr olds were like "wow thats a nice car - yeah its an old chev!!"

Anyway I still love all the looks and thumbs up.
Michael_F90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 02:49 AM   #104
Belial
Clevo Mafia Muscle Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
I cannot go anywhere without a discussion from someone at the lights and especially at service stations, seeing cars behind with their phone up taking pics etc. The double takes and head snapping and the Mrs loves watching everyone else and keeps saying, "Did you see that bloke taking pics??" Don't care how many ask what it is or they had one or their friends friends had one in a shed. All part of it and am chuffed that so many people like it and love to point. I have too many stories as there is one almost every trip out ..... Even better when there are 2 coupes driving around .... nearly causes accidents!

...... so come out with me and the Aussie Coupes crew and we'll see what happens!?!?!

Daily
FPV GS Manual Sedan. (1 of 20)
now 360rwhp thanx to Blue Power Racing
"Global warming..." " I'm doing my part!"

Also a member of the Clevo Mafia.
You hit me, we hit you!
&
Metal Jacket Muscle Car Club
Belial is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #105
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

doing a crawl along hindley one night in the XA.... drunken yob, cool wicked car... 308...?????
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #106
Assassinbm

Quote:

I also drop it back a gear and give it a bootfull whenever I go through an underpass. I love that glorious V8 sound amplifying 10 fold and reverberating at full noise - particularly when there's a ricer next to me ;-)

Guilty of the same
Old 02-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #107
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial
...... so come out with me and the Aussie Coupes crew and we'll see what happens!?!?!
Yes ... been out once with a few of them ..... think I saw them on Australia day driving through Ringwood? Did exactly what everyone is saying and nearly broke my neck as the Landau went by followed by a few others. Made me want to go home and get the Landau to join in

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #108
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Thumbs up

I find it most rewarding when strangers walk past and say "Nice ute mate" or take photo's of her, it's like having that Blonde bombshell hanging of your arm

AU II XR8 Daily driver.

BF XR8 ute (Red the only true Modification) My Toy.

The boy,

XT Ute 393 cleveland.

Genuine XB GT.
Tucool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #109
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isn't the entire point of doing up cars to attract this kind of attention? You'd be lying if you said otherwise.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #110
66FAIRLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Definately not. I do it for me. If other people like it, good. If not stiff sheet.
66FAIRLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #111
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
Isn't the entire point of doing up cars to attract this kind of attention? You'd be lying if you said otherwise.
I drive my cars either for transport or in the older ones because they are great to drive and the drive is the voyage , anything else is b/s
Old 02-02-2011, 10:57 PM   #112
XBCoupeGuy
XBCoupeGuy

Default Attention

Quote:

Glad to see I'm not the only one who disagrees with this statement.

I love muscle cars, I love seeing them out and about and I love owning them.

However, I am often uncomfortable with the attention they bring, but nothing will stop me owning or driving them!!

I don't own them for the attention they bring!!!
XBCoupeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 11:20 PM   #113
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Dang, I'm a liar. I loved my XWGT because of the way it made me feel, not because of the way it made everyone else feel.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 12:17 AM   #114
te250

i had many of the above problems when i had my honda z50a out in public once.....
te250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 02:32 AM   #115
rich

Xe's are certainly still bogan vehicles unfortunately, they need another five to ten years before it will change. I was at the servo in my xe, at the time primer on the guards and generally rough, and a little guy straight out of longbay jail holding a sports bag walks up exclaiming how effing great the car is, and saying a bunch of other stuff I had know idea what he was talking about. I'm sure he had a gun in the bag, my wife thought it was funny, she hates the xe.
rich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 04:24 AM   #116
Belial
Clevo Mafia Muscle Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Yes ... been out once with a few of them ..... think I saw them on Australia day driving through Ringwood? Did exactly what everyone is saying and nearly broke my neck as the Landau went by followed by a few others. Made me want to go home and get the Landau to join in
We went to the Black Spur for a BBQ lunch, I was the outcast as I took the FPV

Daily
FPV GS Manual Sedan. (1 of 20)
now 360rwhp thanx to Blue Power Racing
"Global warming..." " I'm doing my part!"

Also a member of the Clevo Mafia.
You hit me, we hit you!
&
Metal Jacket Muscle Car Club
Belial is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 08:23 AM   #117
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich
Xe's are certainly still bogan vehicles unfortunately, they need another five to ten years before it will change.
Here in regional Vic I'd doubt that. You don't see any ratty XD/XEs anymore .. especially V8s. You either see them as nice streeters (there is a Greens Tuff Group 3 replica getting around .. nice!) or they are unregistered in paddocks rusting away. Around here VN+ Commodores and EA+ Falcons are the real bogan vehicles.
I was about 15 when the last of the XE V8s rolled off the production line and until a few years ago I HATED XEs (and XDs) with a passion for there plastic bumpers and dashboards, etc. However these days I appreciate their tough looks and clean lines and I'd be the first person to give a thumbs up to an neat XE!!!
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #118
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
Here in regional Vic I'd doubt that. You don't see any ratty XD/XEs anymore .. especially V8s. You either see them as nice streeters (there is a Greens Tuff Group 3 replica getting around .. nice!) or they are unregistered in paddocks rusting away. Around here VN+ Commodores and EA+ Falcons are the real bogan vehicles.
I was about 15 when the last of the XE V8s rolled off the production line and until a few years ago I HATED XEs (and XDs) with a passion for there plastic bumpers and dashboards, etc. However these days I appreciate their tough looks and clean lines and I'd be the first person to give a thumbs up to an neat XE!!!
Javelin's right, ten years ago XD-XFs were the ultimate in bogan chic, but now a tidy XD or XE would probably turn heads and get attention. It's the E-series and VN-VS Commodores that are clunking and coughing around that the bogans have moved on to these days. I've seen plenty of VTs and AUs in bogan spec lately too. I've been called a bogan a couple of times because I drive an E series
Old 03-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #119
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, the D's and E's used to be a niche vehicle, but they're really coming into their own these days.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #120
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
That's Adelaide for ya!

GTs.
I returned to my car once to find two guys arguing over what colour my car is? (not even in adelaide)

It was late in the day and getting dark, when i confirmed the colour one of them had the other in the headlock as i drove away.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post