Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #901
rjk74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

The Missus just signed up to have a 5.0kw system installed next month, on the installation diagram it shows the inverter to be fixed next to the meter box at the side of our house. Just wondering do these things get pinched very often or would it be to hard to steel once its attached to the brick wall.
rjk74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #902
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjk74
The Missus just signed up to have a 5.0kw system installed next month, on the installation diagram it shows the inverter to be fixed next to the meter box at the side of our house. Just wondering do these things get pinched very often or would it be to hard to steel once its attached to the brick wall.
I've never heard of inverters being stolen - they are hardwired in. That doesn't mean it's never happened before. I got my inverter installed inside my house, not because I was worried about theft, just because I wanted it out of the weather - at no extra cost. Your Mrs may have other ideas about interior decor though!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #903
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by genebaby
The way I see it is I've prepaid my electricity for the four or five years it will take to pay the system back, and after that it's all sweet.

Then, when systems are so much cheaper/better I'll add on or replace it all.
That's pretty well how I looked at it.
I've had a few comments from people saying that I must be rich to be able to afford the solar.
My answer was that I'd worked out my power usage & paid for the next 20 years up front.
They still don't get it.....

Ed
Old 01-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #904
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah i said to my mate that the $400 a qtr that i pay for power now pays for my solar instead until its paid off then its all free his reply after the blank look on his face was...but you are still paying for it!! and this mate has an iq aproaching genius level
Old 01-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #905
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
they can and do get stolen......panels as well......there was a spate just a bit further north of us and another in Port Lincoln where the whole systems were removed by persons unknown and sold onto the black market at a much reduced cost

the only thing to be done, and it is a small thing, is to look into non reversible screws or fastenings that, once in place, break off so that they cannot be undone

if you are in an area of high risk, wherever that may be

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD 351 Ute
That's pretty well how I looked at it.
I've had a few comments from people saying that I must be rich to be able to afford the solar.
My answer was that I'd worked out my power usage & paid for the next 20 years up front.
They still don't get it.....

Ed
rather pay for solar than to continue paying overseas investors.....a lot of folks will actually blame you for power rises

I figure just let them think what they will as the bills continue to rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l
yeah i said to my mate that the $400 a qtr that i pay for power now pays for my solar instead until its paid off then its all free his reply after the blank look on his face was...but you are still paying for it!! and this mate has an iq aproaching genius level
hard to change a mind when it is set in one direction......I've changed a heap and still changing more but there is a lot of "misinformation" out there put in place by major corporations and government bodies

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #906
rjk74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks for the comments, might see if they'll put it in the garage or within our back yard.
rjk74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2012, 07:36 PM   #907
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

from memory I think the inverter must be placed on the same structure as the solar array

I.E. array on house roof then inverter must also be placed on house structure

I think that is correct!

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 03-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #908
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well I received the new rates from Lumo......some good news some bad

works out I will be paying roughly $0.32c compared to $0.23c last month

supply charge has gone from $0.51c per day to $0.72

(not a bad rise thanks Julia!!)

the only good thing to come from it is that my Feed in tariff has gone from $0.51c per kilowatt (or thereabouts) to $0.59

Old 04-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #909
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought the retailer I work for rates went up high. That a massive increase in S.A.

But the Feed in Tariff went up which is good.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #910
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm still crunching the numbers but it looks like we will be losing a bit of our credit but still be in front

cant win with the mongrels.......I reckon what will end up happening is they will do the same as water here.....there will be a supply charge and a "minimum usage" charge

bluegen is looking more atractive

Old 07-08-2012, 11:13 PM   #911
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1st longer day with full sun here on spencer gulf made 18.75 kwh woo hoo very happy
Old 08-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #912
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep!.....gone from $2.00 per day down to $4.00 per day ahead.......

warmer nights mean no heater and long warm days mean plenty of generative solar

problem is we are now entering "BARBECUE SEASON" when all the bludgers come around and scoff my tucker

Old 08-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #913
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as long as they bring beer and lots of it
Old 08-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #914
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

yeah my 3kw system has jump up from when it was fitted in the middle of june ...only doing about 10kwh a day to now doing just under 13kwh a day

bring on summer i want to see what peek will be
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #915
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my guess will be 20 kilowatts!

even 10 per day is not bad! .......given it was winter

Old 08-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #916
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
my guess will be 20 kilowatts!

even 10 per day is not bad! .......given it was winter
dam really, that high
thought id be lucky to get 15kilowatts out of it thats how much i know

still waiting for my 1st bill with my excess selling for 7c a unit bloody joke synergy WA, but still been trying to use most of my power durning the day while im making it to bring my bill down ..time will tell
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #917
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no ......you can pretty much count on 6 hours per day as an average over the spring/summer/autumn

mid summer is the area where you will get 20kw's I reckon

7c is ludicrous.......unfair at the lowest level when they sell for the high rate

Old 08-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #918
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf

rather pay for solar than to continue paying overseas investors.....a lot of folks will actually blame you for power rises

I figure just let them think what they will as the bills continue to rise

They will be partly right too. The generators still have to run for the peak load time (5pm-9pm). Therefore during the day when all of this extra power is being generated, it is simply wasted.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #919
DJR02
Blown DJR

Gotta love these long sunny days in Queensland, my 7kw's of panels and 5kw inverter are currently making 38-39kwh per day.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #920
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR02
Gotta love these long sunny days in Queensland, my 7kw's of panels and 5kw inverter are currently making 38-39kwh per day.
Your meter must be on 5 almost all day. Mine is 6 on a 5 inv and mine is on 4.3 most days.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #921
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
....Therefore during the day when all of this extra power is being generated, it is simply wasted.
Unless there is some magical way for the electricity manufacturers to figure out the demand, and the solar production, and then reduce the generation during the day - saving the coal for the night time generation.

Interestingly the March 2010 NSW figures from AEMO give a fairly flat peak from about 9-5 - Solar would be a very good match for meeting much of that need.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #922
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

theres been a lot of debate and number crunching from deep thinkers about whether solar is driving up power prices.....the consensus has been a resounding no

the figures show that savings made during the daylight hours resulting in shutting down or at least idling mainstream generators more than make up for "peak" times......there is absolutely no valid reason for power companies to hike up the cost of supplying electricity based on a solar argument

there has "supposedly" been many studies made into the cost of power, particularly in south australia, that consistently show the actual charges made do NOT reflect the actual cost of power generation

I am yet to see ANY of these findings put into practice

anyone "north of the border" would have to love solar wouldn't they.....all that sunshine

we do pretty well here but you would tack another hour or so on ours....lucky buggers

Old 09-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #923
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in the paper today they said consumpsion in sa is down 10% in the last 12 months and they estimate 5years before they need to build more gennerative capacity the say it is because of the popularity of solar( i think it was 10% could be more i gave my paper away) because its sa you can bet that (a) poor pensioners are not using heaters is part of the reason and (b) if they need capacity in 5 years they will start to build in 7 or 8 years
Old 09-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #924
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my wife works in the health industry......she sees everyday where pensioners and those unable to pay are going cold just to save a quid

Joy Baluch (spelling, sorry Joy!)......is pushing for a solar thermal system for Port Augusta to replace the knackered coal fired playford power station

it would be good to see but I bet the powers that be go with gas fired

Old 09-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #925
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
Unless there is some magical way for the electricity manufacturers to figure out the demand, and the solar production, and then reduce the generation during the day - saving the coal for the night time generation.

Interestingly the March 2010 NSW figures from AEMO give a fairly flat peak from about 9-5 - Solar would be a very good match for meeting much of that need.

If you actually understood the sheer size of the generators, then you would understand it can take weeks to speed them up and slow them down. It isn't a backyard honda 4 stroke.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #926
Tha Jack
Legend!!!

Great Thread Guys with heaps of useful info. I spent the last few hours reading it from the beginning.
I just got a quote for a 4kw system with 16 x 195w panels from United Energy in VIC using Blueline Solar MI Inverter and panels for $21985
Just about fell out me chair when he quoted that!!!
Will definitely be doing a bit more shopping around.

Cheers Jack

BACK TO THE BONE YARD
Tha Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #927
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hah! what's the infamous quote from an australian classic

"tell him he's dreamin!"........let your fingers do the walking and save thousands

when the system is installed you can quote once again from the immortals......."how's the serenity!"

Old 13-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #928
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is that price before the RECS have been taken off?
Old 13-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #929
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
If you actually understood the sheer size of the generators, then you would understand it can take weeks to speed them up and slow them down. It isn't a backyard honda 4 stroke.

On your advice I just took the time to "Understand the sheer size of the generators".

Approximately 65% of NSW capacity for non solar power generation is the "weeks to speed them up" kind - known in the industry as Base Load power plants.
The remaining 35% is peak load or load following.
Peak Load is typically operating on a two hour startup time.

Also in NSW likely over 80% of Solar generation is during the 9-5 peak.

So in my books, given the above, as long NSW solar generation remains below the 80% of the total of Peak Load and Load following Power generation then there will be no dramatic increase of oversupply situations.

The figures I crunched were from Wikipaedia - and so may not be exactly correct: NSW Base Load generation is about 12032 Mw and Load Following plus Peak Load is about 6470.

The current NSW goal is for 20% renewable, this will be 60% of the Peak plus load following generation - which is less than 80% so we are safe until we are about 28% renewable - but not all renewable is time of day generation (like Solar) .... so much more than that.

And when we do get there, we need THEN to look at reducing the Base Load Generation - we will have plenty of time for that two week wind down.

(If I had done this 20 years ago it would have been a HSC school assignment)
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #930
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Jack
Great Thread Guys with heaps of useful info. I spent the last few hours reading it from the beginning.
I just got a quote for a 4kw system with 16 x 195w panels from United Energy in VIC using Blueline Solar MI Inverter and panels for $21985
Just about fell out me chair when he quoted that!!!
Will definitely be doing a bit more shopping around.

Cheers Jack
try eurosolar i got a 4kw system with a 5kw inverter 16 x 250 kw panels installed in country sa (220 klms from adelaide ) 2 story house $7000 insatalled they did a good job and on time