Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-03-2021, 02:44 PM   #61
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Driving experience you have forgotten about...

Remember when semis weren't restricted to 100km/h? Late 80's I sat close behind 3 of them nose-to-tail doing 140km/h, and when I'd get close enough could take it out of gear and just get pulled along for ages. Got most of the way from Keith to Tintinara idling in neutral - very stupid really; if guy at the front had fallen asleep I reckon all of us would have blindly followed him off the road.
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-03-2021, 10:16 AM   #62
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Knowing the whole greater Sydney road network like the back of my hand at speed beng a stupid young courier.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2021, 12:12 PM   #63
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
My first car, a pretty rough LC Torana, had the 'baby six' 2250 or 138 cubic inch red motor. It was the typical three speed column shift equipped car, however a previous owner had fitted an 'Impala' floor shifter. Remember those? And man, did I think I was just the business driving that!

For those of you unfamiliar with them, The Impala was an in-line floor shift. So for reverse you pushed it down and to the rear. Then you pushed it straight forward for 1st. For 2nd you pulled it back half way (to neutral) then brought it up vertically and then back. 3rd peg was engaged by pushing it straight forward. It was just a vertical H pattern but we all thought it was exceedingly cool at the time.

My '65 XP coupe and '66 Dodge Phoenix also had the manual windscreen washers which had the little foot pedal near the transmission tunnel. I reckon it would have been damn near impossible to find that foot pump pedal in an emergency situation - glad I never had to put it to the test!

I had a straight line shifter in a Valiant VE wagon with a hot engine. They were great!
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2021, 10:15 PM   #64
mondeomatureguy

Hi guy's
I always remember this story because it happened to a good mate of mine and because he brought the car back from the insurance Company to get the motor out of it and i drove the truck to pick it up.

He was a Cop for 30 years. At the time he lived in Randwick in Sydney on Avoca Street and was returning home after doing night shift at 6am. He had a XA falcon Coup with a worked 351 engine and as he was reversing in a parking spot a guy came over the crest of the hill and ran into the back of his car.

My mate had a jacket over his Police Shirt and the guy who ran into him got out of his car and said " mate i am so sorry please don't call the Police because i ve been drinking and playing cards most of the night".

he told the guy "i ve got some very bad news for you and better sit down on the footpath".
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2021, 10:58 AM   #65
tbro4123

Seems no-one drove trucks back in the 70s.

As a truck mechanic apprentice I got the glorious job of delivering an Acco 1830 Perkins 5 speed with 2 speed diff (ex Water Board)Sydney to Melbourne. Why? Cause a driver would have cost probably $8 an hour me $2 an hour.

Well all was fine until I hit the highway out of Liverpool, see it wouldn't go over 45mph, flat out and the cyclist were passing me. Sitting with the engine sitting next to me, engine covers sealing was a theory and it was summer, so yep I got to see a lot of Aussie bush, a lot of pi**ed orf truck drivers and got to spend 3 days getting to Melbourne, sleeping in the cab, no expense spared! Arrived at the Ford factory out in the middle of nowhere at 8 am and had to drive down Sydney Rd to get where I needed to get to as per the mud map I was given.

Lots of strange looks and abuse from those unfriendly Melbournites and then a motor bike cop pulling me over and telling me to turn off. Well!!! wasn't he a friendly fella (NOT) at first until he saw my license was from NSW, then he asked how many times I had driven in Vic. NONE and if I have my way I'll never come back!!!

Ok son follow me, hopped on his bike and took me to the depot down near the gaol, I wasn't far from it but!

Dropped off the truck after thanking the copper to be told Oh! didn't anyone tell ya you can't drive on Sydney Rd between whatever. NOT happy Jan.

Picked up a D series flat top to return to Sydney, "so how fast does this HOS go?" Oh! about 90 flat out Great, so off I went, and it probably did do 90 but no way known to man was I going to do 90mph in a that truck.

Ah the days of WHS and 2 or 3 log books and being the only living thing lower than a STD (apprentice).

And did anyone ever notice just how bloody slow all trucks were back then compared to now, that Acco and Ford both had 120 HP engines and no torque, now a 2 tonner has more power.

Who misses the "good ol days " not me!!

Stay safe

Terry aka Tbro.
tbro4123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 04-04-2021, 11:40 AM   #66
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbro4123 View Post

As a truck mechanic apprentice I got the glorious job of delivering an Acco 1830 Perkins 5 speed with 2 speed diff (ex Water Board)Sydney to Melbourne. Why? Cause a driver would have cost probably $8 an hour me $2 an hour.

Well all was fine until I hit the highway out of Liverpool, see it wouldn't go over 45mph, flat out and the cyclist were passing me. Sitting with the engine sitting next to me, engine covers sealing was a theory and it was summer, so yep I got to see a lot of Aussie bush, a lot of pi**ed orf truck drivers and got to spend 3 days getting to Melbourne, sleeping in the cab, no expense spared! Arrived at the Ford factory out in the middle of nowhere at 8 am and had to drive down Sydney Rd to get where I needed to get to as per the mud map I was given.

Lots of strange looks and abuse from those unfriendly Melbournites and then a motor bike cop pulling me over and telling me to turn off. Well!!! wasn't he a friendly fella (NOT) at first until he saw my license was from NSW, then he asked how many times I had driven in Vic. NONE and if I have my way I'll never come back!!!

Ok son follow me, hopped on his bike and took me to the depot down near the gaol, I wasn't far from it but!

Dropped off the truck after thanking the copper to be told Oh! didn't anyone tell ya you can't drive on Sydney Rd between whatever. NOT happy Jan.

Picked up a D series flat top to return to Sydney, "so how fast does this HOS go?" Oh! about 90 flat out Great, so off I went, and it probably did do 90 but no way known to man was I going to do 90mph in a that truck.

Ah the days of WHS and 2 or 3 log books and being the only living thing lower than a STD (apprentice).

And did anyone ever notice just how bloody slow all trucks were back then compared to now, that Acco and Ford both had 120 HP engines and no torque, now a 2 tonner has more power.

Stay safe

Terry aka Tbro.
Oh I remember how gutless trucks were in QLD back in the 70's and 80's one reason I bought a 308 or 351 was to get pass them, I would come up to a hill and hear we go again crawling up a hill at 20KM/H with 10 to 15 cars following behind, I would see a chance and 1st gear was ready and flat to the boards directly as soon as a car went past and into 2ed and 3rd and pass the lot in one go a lot of the time.
I think 50mph was the speed limit for trucks in QLD back then.

When I first drove into NSW to Sydney in 1982 in my HG 253 I was siting behind many trucks that were all siting on 90mph and they flew up the hills as well at night and all. I could not believe it, I was totally happy to just tag along.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2021, 12:53 PM   #67
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

Stay safe

Terry aka Tbro.
Not many of those mid sized 2 speed diff trucks were geared to highway speed at the time unless you drove a Dodge/Inter paper truck or a larger 'Ghost" of course.

2 users like this post:
Old 04-04-2021, 01:05 PM   #68
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Not many of those mid sized 2 speed diff trucks were geared to highway speed at the time unless you drove a Dodge/Inter paper truck or a larger 'Ghost" of course.
I think some of the posters here were Daytime drivers Rok.
Old 04-04-2021, 01:25 PM   #69
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
I think some of the posters here were Daytime drivers Rok.
Yeah agree, I'm not talking from experience, just great stories I've heard and read but loved watching those paper truck scream pass in the early morning as a kid.
Remember when they started to replaced them with the SBR Isuzu's not the same.

Edit....modern day equivalent would be the converted city bus into a motorhome trap, heavy slow moving object geared to city streets. Don't know why anyone would consider doing all that work to one without considering the rear axle ratio's.

Old 04-04-2021, 07:34 PM   #70
hayseed

Quote:

Stay safe

Terry aka Tbro.
At least the ACCO would of had (a little bit) Better Brakes then the D series & a Parcel shelve to sleep on...
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-04-2021, 07:47 PM   #71
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Stay safe

Terry aka Tbro.
No way in the World would a D series Ford get anywhere near 90mph.70 maybe on a down hill run,then you had to try to slow the thing down
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-04-2021, 08:26 PM   #72
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

may have shared this before but not on this page.

old series 1 Transit 4 cyl and had done over 200,000 The boss had arrange a recently traded in 6 cyl and asked me to take the old one up to Stillwells Regency Park. duly did so, stinking hot Adelaide summer day, sliding doors wide open etc.

Arrived and didnt know where to go so parked the ole banger on front apron, go in find the manager, he wants to get rid of the old girl around the back, hops in, turns the key, almighty gawd aweful bang, parts of the engine scatter themselves all over the forecourt.
Very embarrassed he climbs out amidst much cheering from rest of staff.

The oil stain was still there 12 months later.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:57 AM   #73
tbro4123

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
At least the ACCO would of had (a little bit) Better Brakes then the D series & a Parcel shelve to sleep on...

NO pommy truck was ever equipped with brakes, no matter how well you adjusted them, they just didn't stop, they were so poorly designed for a truck it was a joke. Acco's sort of stopped but by the time you took of and started to catch up to the traffic it was stopping again so never went quick enough.

Remember well the first Isuzu truck I drove, you'll love the brakes they all said, fine even great empty, loaded not so much. UD overnighter spec, well if your gunna do 140K you wanna hope that you don't need to stop in a hurry, I did once, a Bedford pulled out from the side of the road tarp flapping and bulging so NO mirrors straight out onto the highway, missed him somehow and had to throw away those undies.

Yep I miss those days, And as for the old D series doing 90 dunno 60 was quick enough for me in that truck.

Stay safe

Terry aka Tbro
2 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2021, 12:08 PM   #74
.:4:.
Kicking back

Radar detectors. As illegal as they are and always have been, there was one in one car i learnt to drive in. Never turned it on as they can be detected. But im guessing that wasnt the case in the late 70s/early 80s. It was in a uc torana with a 308 swap. So a 78 year model, but i got my L's in 2003.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2021, 12:18 PM   #75
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
NO pommy truck was ever equipped with brakes, no matter how well you adjusted them, they just didn't stop, they were so poorly designed for a truck it was a joke. Acco's sort of stopped but by the time you took of and started to catch up to the traffic it was stopping again so never went quick enough.

Remember well the first Isuzu truck I drove, you'll love the brakes they all said, fine even great empty, loaded not so much. UD overnighter spec, well if your gunna do 140K you wanna hope that you don't need to stop in a hurry, I did once, a Bedford pulled out from the side of the road tarp flapping and bulging so NO mirrors straight out onto the highway, missed him somehow and had to throw away those undies.

Yep I miss those days, And as for the old D series doing 90 dunno 60 was quick enough for me in that truck.

Stay safe

Terry aka Tbro
Spose the bigger ACCO's on air had wedge brakes at the time.

Old 05-04-2021, 12:42 PM   #76
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Radar detectors. As illegal as they are and always have been, there was one in one car i learnt to drive in. Never turned it on as they can be detected. But im guessing that wasnt the case in the late 70s/early 80s. It was in a uc torana with a 308 swap. So a 78 year model, but i got my L's in 2003.

They were Legal back in the 80's I had a Whistler Q2000..

Late 80's early 90's they were made illegal I seem to remember..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2021, 12:49 PM   #77
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:

I use the term always as in in my life time. I was born in 87, so dont remember the 80s. But still, radar detectors arent something you come across these days. Kind of makes sense though. The fuzz want to do their job catching people out, so why allow people to catch them out sort of thing? Theyre not necessary if you dont drive like a tool.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2021, 12:59 PM   #78
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I use the term always as in in my life time. I was born in 87, so dont remember the 80s. But still, radar detectors arent something you come across these days. Kind of makes sense though. The fuzz want to do their job catching people out, so why allow people to catch them out sort of thing? Theyre not necessary if you dont drive like a tool.
I believe they're still legal in WA
Old 05-04-2021, 02:33 PM   #79
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Haha good thread... I jump from my wife's car back into mine (no shifter) I use the shifter(on the column) as an indicator (big box of neutrals)and the wipers as indicators... then I get back in wife's car and have to second guess every movement before I do it LOL

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2021, 02:56 PM   #80
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
I believe they're still legal in WA
They have only just become illegal here, I think since 1st January 2021.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2021, 06:01 PM   #81
Tommie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I clearly remember when slowing down going through some country town, you'd wind down the window (manually of course) and reach for a Winnie Blue to enjoy cruising through the town. Still miss those darts sometimes when rolling through a country town..
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2021, 06:27 PM   #82
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
They have only just become illegal here, I think since 1st January 2021.
They use no Vaseline either, $1500 for heavy vehicles, $1200 for all other vehicles and 7 demerit points.
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2021, 06:32 PM   #83
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

Stay safe

Terry aka Tbro.
I find it fascinating how where Ford was on Sydney Rd how that must have been in the middle of nowhere in the 1970s, if you went for a drive down Sydney Rd/Hume Highway now you'd be shocked at how deep in suburbia and how busy that Campbellfield/Broadmeadows/Fawkner area is.

Not uncommon to take 45 minutes to go from Barry Road to Ring Road entrance in traffic which is 1.5KM or there abouts down Sydney Rd
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2021, 07:12 PM   #84
John 13

Clearly pretty stupid in the light of recent tragedies,two night time water crossings come to mind. In about 1967, another chap with me, drove across the Bingera weir on the Burnett river. Locals said it would be ok as long as the fish ladder was visible, didn't even know where that was.
I think there was a line of posts to my right, anyway partway across the rear of the Cortina started to float. Every time it came down we got some traction and kept going.
In about 1972 in central QLD girlfriend and I, almost at our destination for the day. Came to running water completely over a low level bridge with no railings. Walked it ok, then, with holding both doors open so water would run through cabin of Hilux ute, went in. All ok till headlights went under, fortunately there was a car on opposite bank with some lights on so was able to aim for that.
John 13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2021, 01:14 PM   #85
tbro4123

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Spose the bigger ACCO's on air had wedge brakes at the time.
Wedge brakes I believe were a special order, bas*ard to adjust if left out of adjustment too far, mainly used on fuel tankers and far superior to S cams as you don't get any braking loss due to twisting flexing of the S cam. Our fleet at Pub Squash back in the 70s had 3x 3070s all ex Shell and all had the wedge brakes. We also had 1 of 10 Acco tinshed single drive with factory 6V53, 10 speed RR and 2 speed diff, the only surviving one at the time, ex overnight company out of Melbourne, if you wanted to terrify yourself point and shoot ( but wear a set of earmuffs)!

Stay safe

Terry aka Tbro
Old 06-04-2021, 01:56 PM   #86
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
No way in the World would a D series Ford get anywhere near 90mph.70 maybe on a down hill run,then you had to try to slow the thing down

My mates dad has a beautiful old d series with a mild 351 windsor swapped in it, it gets along very well. Twin stacks up the cab, sounds amazing. He used to do the garbage run in it for many years, was all done by hand. In fact I think he was one of the last guys doing it by hand in australia or qld can't remember exactly but he had an article in the paper about it.

I went with him a few times on the run. Had to get up super early and because the truck was so loud he would start picking up the rubbish at the top of town shut the truck off and let it roll down the streets.

Good times
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2021, 02:18 PM   #87
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Wedge brakes I believe were a special order, bas*ard to adjust if left out of adjustment too far, mainly used on fuel tankers and far superior to S cams as you don't get any braking loss due to twisting flexing of the S cam. Our fleet at Pub Squash back in the 70s had 3x 3070s all ex Shell and all had the wedge brakes. We also had 1 of 10 Acco tinshed single drive with factory 6V53, 10 speed RR and 2 speed diff, the only surviving one at the time, ex overnight company out of Melbourne, if you wanted to terrify yourself point and shoot ( but wear a set of earmuffs)!

Stay safe

Terry aka Tbro
Nothing wrong with the 6V53 and mini 600 series 10 speed RR. Apart from the noise.

I was always lead to believe S cams were far more superior to wedge, as you say getting out of adjustment and pushing past the shoe pivots.

Old 06-04-2021, 02:48 PM   #88
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I find it fascinating how where Ford was on Sydney Rd how that must have been in the middle of nowhere in the 1970s, if you went for a drive down Sydney Rd/Hume Highway now you'd be shocked at how deep in suburbia and how busy that Campbellfield/Broadmeadows/Fawkner area is.

Not uncommon to take 45 minutes to go from Barry Road to Ring Road entrance in traffic which is 1.5KM or there abouts down Sydney Rd
Not uncommon in the burbs.
Where I grew up in Sydney, our street was a dead end at our house with orange groves all the way upto Pennant Hills Rd. Then they built a new kind of shop up there, The Shopping Centre, later to become Carlingford Court.
I can remember the back stairs of what was then "Farmers" (later Myers) running out into a big field where the circus would visit a few times a year.
This new fangled way of shopping drew more people in, wanting to live close by so our street was soon extented up to the main road, with several other streets to follow.
The old single trailer semi's would rubble along PHR all night and day where I offened sat watching as a kid.
A friend from school, granny lived down along PHR at north Parramatta right where the trucks would change gears coming up the hill. His granny's house had a tree out front with no leaves on the road side of it. The poor thing was constantly engulfed in black smoke from the single left hand side exhaust stack on most trucks at the time.

Despite being a country music singing, Slim Dusty lived on the opposite side of PHR off Woodstock Ave, for quite a few years. I used to see him at the wheel of the famous Purple Fairlane pulling out onto Pennant Hills Rd all the time while sitting there watching trucks.

Old 06-04-2021, 05:06 PM   #89
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I had a Q4000 and the cops stole it from me, then I got a Bel Vector Sti still have it, but it's out of date to be used nowadays.

Oh thems were the days lovey, hooking in driving a Austin Kimberly X2 4sp mind you, that's 2.2L of 6 cyl twin SU carby's and all standard. not to mention that they had a bonnet scoop and all that forced air into that beast. not to mention seeing the fear in the eyes of anyone with a Holden red 6 to even a GTS 186S get bitten on the back highway bendy roads by a glorified land crab.

No I never had a land crab, I am just pulling your leg. but their are two 1800 land crabs going for nothing if you can take them away that's all the dude wants and a XC 3.3L and XC 4.1L and a VC 3.3L engines sitting about, I think he is getting rid of them all tomorrow. I think it's 17 Philips ebbwvale Ipswich QLD a mate showed me them and a old caravan with VW wheels. should have a bloke their working on the house cleaning up the yard. be early to catch the worm. or they are going to the dump.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2021, 08:23 PM   #90
mondeomatureguy

Hi guy's
I went to the first Adelaide Grand Prix way back in 1985 with a bunch of mates.
The following year 1986 only two of us went myself and another mate in his XB Ford Fairmont 302 V8 Coupe.
After the race we left the next morning for our return trip to Sydney. It was a hot day and we broke down on the Hay Plain about 20ks from Hay.

We tossed a coin to see who waited with the car in the heat and i hitchhiked to hay to get a tow truck.
We had stayed in Adelaide for around a week at a friends place and in that time i never had a shave so i looked pretty rough.

A old cpl stoped and gave me a lift to Hay and when the Tow Truck driver and myself got back to my mate i said to the Tow Truck Driver " f... the heats killed him his dead".

He looked shocking but wasn't dead we got back to Hay and got the car repaired, it turned out that the Alternator burnt out due to the heat and my mate doing 160 Kmh on the Hay plain.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post