Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-06-2015, 09:03 AM   #61
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Something to consider before hooking up 3500 kg

" And like I said earlier, a popular and big selling 3500kg rated dual cab couldn't lug the same as my old manual F truck, which I might add, is still on the original clutch despite having towed and hauled its way to 250000+ km.

The gearing in modern soft 4x4 vehicles, in order to make them feel like a car on the hwy, and to use minimal fuel when unloaded, renders them not commercial. Despite what they are classified as by manufacturers and the public.

The old effy, she's got a crawler first gear, it will only do about 25kmh flat out lol. Unladen, 2nd gear starts are the norm..."

Quote from Tex @59

I agree with that 100%.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2015, 09:30 AM   #62
351LTD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does a old F truck have a Towing capicity (as per moden vechiles) i suspect not so does the 1.5 times vechile weight apply.Am interested because looking at getting a caravan to tow behind my 80 LTD and can not seem to get the same answer from anyone. I am in WA.
351LTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2015, 11:15 AM   #63
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351LTD View Post
Does a old F truck have a Towing capicity (as per moden vechiles) i suspect not so does the 1.5 times vechile weight apply.Am interested because looking at getting a caravan to tow behind my 80 LTD and can not seem to get the same answer from anyone. I am in WA.
Get the specs for your intended tow vehicle off the web (multiple sites). Then get your head around ATM, GVM, GCM, GTM, tare, ball weight and you'll know if it's a legal towing configuration.
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post