Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: GT replicas/clones?
Yes, brilliant things. 41 22.91%
No, too many around. 53 29.61%
Indifferent, as long as someones in a ford. 44 24.58%
Ok if a proper clone..ie no fancy pants paint, billits and flash interior. 41 22.91%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #61
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 
Default Re: X-Series GT Replicas/Clones.

Some strong views here......awesome to see.

Good to see you arent fussed Linc. With the quality of your output I am not surprised you dont mind if people ask!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #62
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

I don't have a problem with Replicas. Not everyone can afford or wants the real thing. Horses for courses.

The problem with Replicas I have is when the owners try to pass them off as the real deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #63
saam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

real or replica, does it really matter ?

who does it matter too ?

does it matter that 30% of original GT owners are infact fake ?

america is passed that phase now and want an original car, with a one off paint or interior or something that makes them stand out of the crowd

How many people are happy owning a GT but so do many others

How many people are happy owning an old school ford that no one else has?

Thats up to the individual owner

I like a nice muscle machine, the plates dont mean anything to me at least

Ive still yet to see a decent GT in the XA form, sure lots of origials are nice but not up to the standard i like
saam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #64
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Really Sam?

I could post pics of at least 5 done to standard that dreams are made of.....
Old 24-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #65
saam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bring them on man, i havent seen one in the flesh of a decent quality
Old 24-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #66
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
To elaborate...does the option of a GT replica hurt creativity? It seems to be every second XW-XY in Street Fords follows a formula of a flash colour, bone/chamois interior and billit rims...all within GT stripes etc...to me this is the horrid stuff. I'd prefer a to the bone GT replica, with all the details, like paint marks etc)...

Could this be why there is a lack of interesting highly thought out early falcons? Take a look a the Lebrese coupe, a totally unique take on the famous coupe...

There have been a few, like Owne Webbs and Craig Parkers (of street machine) XY's...and i recall an interesting airbagged XR ute...

Imagine a Ring Brothers attempt on a XY...big breaks, custom chassis with C4 corvette front suspention, twin turbo Miami motor etc...
the option of gt replica does not hurt creativity. you only have to look on the epic fails thread to see that the fail police stop the sheep from being creative

and as far as the le breese coupe goes. that isn't creative as such. he just had more money, time, motivation and skill to throw at his. awesome car, but most of us could not begin to justify the money for that one. we have the dreams, just not the means

i agree with auslandau's post (and others). it is my car and i will do what i like and to hell with everyone else's opinion

mine looks nothing like a gt and yet i am always asked if it is genuine - of course it is. it is a genuine coupe. as flappist suggested - precious few have any idea what it is anyway - gt, replica or otherwise
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2011, 12:22 AM   #67
raptorv8
Banned

Can't believe what I just read, Adams coupe isn't creative, nah just every panel is customised and 1 off, 1 off front suspension, a 1 off interior how can you say that Isn't creative?
raptorv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2011, 12:24 AM   #68
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally do not like replicas, and would not own or drive one.

Re people coming up to you, anyone that owns a classic Falcon has heard it all, my XB Coupe has ben called a GTHO, a Cobra, and even a Charger, with the said pelican telling me how he had owned chargers and love them , same with the guy calling it a Cobra, a said he had a Cobra in the 80's all the while looking at my XB Coupe

I love the ones that just come up and ask,"Is it genuine?" My reply used to be, "Genuine what??", now I just say,"yes it is mate this is a genuine one!" all the while wondering what he was thinking it was

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2011, 12:33 AM   #69
ZDI-970
Formerly D3v[]

as far as im concerned, there is too many complealty original (other than the id plates of course) gt replicas out there, but i still like seeing people do up cars with a bit of gt styling, like a bright new paintjob with gt stripes in a colour other than factory and some big billet wheels and to finnish it off a blower or something sticking out of the bonnet instead of some common as muck shaker..
ZDI-970 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2011, 01:05 AM   #70
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by saam
bring them on man, i havent seen one in the flesh of a decent quality
You need to get out more Sam, your comment really floored me!

PS: All original XA GTs
This user likes this post:
Old 25-12-2011, 01:30 AM   #71
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Gee George, I woulda thought u woulda put up the Surfer hardtop..
Surfer Orange, 1 off car, white trim and factory sunroof. What a car..

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #72
saam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like one off cars, id say they would be my favourite

A one off car original to its owner ....

Hey george what colour is that blue one called? is it an original ford colour?
Old 25-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #73
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cosmic Blue white trim

One of the best colours ever made if you ask me hahaha
Old 25-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #74
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Im actually amazed at the poll, its quite even...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2011, 03:29 AM   #75
M-Dog

As per most I’ve also been asked and when I say “no, she’s not genuine” they still ask more questions and keep checking her out regardless.
I don’t think it really matters, it’s all to do with the fact you like, you build, you drive what you love to so what’s it matter to being genuine or not especially when so many don’t know the difference anyway!

We DO NOT build replicas to try to pass them off as originals, we do so because we love the model we replicate and I think she’s a great tribute to such a great muscle car!

I’m sorry but I don’t mind hearing the “stories” that others tell either, I consider it part of the XY experience.

Is it not a great thing that we all like what we like and not have the same taste in all we drive?
Old 27-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #76
disco

I think each to their own...I know many guys who will only own / drive a genuine GT and hate replica's... that's up to them. If they prefer an original GT in another model over a replica in a very sought after model, that's their perogative. Much like my preference is to have a replica in a combo I like than a genuine example of a model I don't like.

If you have an original or replica you will still get asked if it's real all the time anyway...won't escape that.

I've owned my replica now for over 7 years and built it from scratch. I spent as much $$$ on it at the time as genuine car only to be frowned upon, but it's my car and I love it. That's all that matters.

Replica, tribute, faker call them what you want but in my opinion they are the best or both worlds...you can go nuts on them, put new repro parts, have it look pretty much like the real thing and have them go, stop and sound much better. You also don't have to worry about messing with pedigree.

On the other hand it is nice to have an original GT (one that was last assembled by Ford in 60's /70's) and know it's a piece of history, but that comes with it's own set of issues as well...price, original parts, potential damage and security to name a few.

I never get sick of seeing an XY GT on the road - if it's a replica or genuine, it still puts a smile on my dial.

cheers,
Dave.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #77
raptorv8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Dog

We DO NOT build replicas to try to pass them off as originals,
You might not, but a lot do
raptorv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #78
M-Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorv8
You might not, but a lot do
Yeah I guess I did know that raptorv8 . . . Pretty sad some people eh?

Brings to mind "Get a life" and "Don't Bulls**t a Bulls**tter"

(hope that wasn't over the line guys)
Old 21-10-2015, 04:14 AM   #79
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apologies for the epic thread dive, but I've been mulling over this question lately and was going to start a thread, and here's one prepared earlier!

I'll start by saying that its a mostly free country and if you own a car you can do whatever you want, but that doesn't make it good, or right, nor stop people having opinions.
So if you own a genuine phase 3, and you want to paint it hot pink, with daisies, and replace the engine with that from a Camry Hybrid, well good luck to you, but it wouldn't stop me calling you an idiot.

Onto the question at hand.
I have no problem with people modding their cars. And if you want to take a 200 Falcon with 3 on the tree, and rebuild it with a 351C, then good on ya, I can certainly see the attraction.
I also have no problem with people building an homage to a GT. Perhaps even making a car better than an original GT or HO.
And when I say "no problem," I mean I would envy such a car and enjoy admiring it.

Call me finicky though, but where I draw the line is the letters. GT.
By all means finish off your car with stripes, but when you include those letters its a lie.
Personally, I could never own such a car (no problem I would simply change the stripes.)

What's the difference you might argue? If you build a car identical to a GT, is it not physically a GT?

First of all, there's the ever so faint smell that you're a fraud and pretender. You're driving around pretending you're in a $140k car, when in fact its a $40k knock-off.

The other thing is that like it or not, you're leveraging off other people's opinions and emotions. A GTHO is legendary only because so many people think it is, and you are misrepresenting your car to tap into that.

I'd also question why you WANT to do it?
It's one thing to be the best Arnold Schwarzenegger impersonator you can be, perhaps even make a living doing impersonations. It's an entirely different (and illegal) matter to actually pretend your ARE him.
Worse still, you've got massive psychological problems if you actually believe it.
3 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2015, 06:58 AM   #80
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You're not CRAZY Dazz for nothing.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2015, 07:36 AM   #81
XG_Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
You're not CRAZY Dazz for nothing.
I don't see the "crazy" aspect of what he posted, in fact I agree with almost every statement he made on this occasion.
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #82
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Yeah you tell em Dazz.

What really grinds my gears is people getting around in run of the mill XW/Y GT's misleading onlookers who believe they are actually HO's.

GT owners should display a sticker stating its not a HO, something like 'Not A HO' would suffice.

Replica owners are easy to pick, they're always hesitant to reveal their genuine JayGeetwennyfree plates.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2015, 12:31 PM   #83
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

If you are driving along in a replica and the public sees it as the genuine article that’s their naivety.

If you’re asked the question and you lie and say it is then you’re a dick.

Many years ago I used to hang with a Torana crowd.

I had a genuine 4 door A9X that was in stock trim that got very few comments.

I had a modified 4 door LX with a flare kit and wide rims that didn’t have any real resemblance to an A9X but I was forever asked if it was the real deal.

My mate had an A9X hatch and some of the things I’d hear were laughable.

I remember one day some clown accusing him of having a fake because it had an SS badge on the grill and ashtray and not the genuine A9X badging.

In my experience the average Joe who asks the question isn’t going to know if it’s the real deal or not so if you like the look and you only want to resemble the genuine article then go for it, just don’t pretend.

As a side note when I get asked at a Servo or just on the street in general is it real I always say no, that way there is less risk of one day having them follow me home.

My first thought when I see a highly collectable Aussie muscle car on the road wearing daily rego plates is it’s probably not real as most owners don’t risk them, there are always exceptions to the rule but regularly driven cars are usually mock ups that belong to people who are just out having some affordable fun with a car they’ve built to the look the way they like.

Last edited by Express; 21-10-2015 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Poor writing skills
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2015, 01:54 PM   #84
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XG_Falcon View Post
I don't see the "crazy" aspect of what he posted, in fact I agree with almost every statement he made on this occasion.
That's why we have assylums, there are a few of you.

Aside from that it was a light hearted dig...everyone has an opinion and their own way of arriving at it. Happy days.

I reckon replicas are great, I hate vinyl roofs, bench seats and column autos, brown trim, brown paint.

Some replica owners might get offended by what Dazz posted, as that may be all they can afford but still love their car and get the same joy driving it whether it's a 40K rep or a 140K GT or a 340K GTHO. Some guys who own brown Falcon 500 might get upset by my opinion too.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-10-2015, 03:42 PM   #85
bazza91
Backyard Mechanic

I hate people building a car to look like a gt when it definitely isnt. Obviously they couldnt be happy with just a gs customised to suit themselves.
But on the other hand everyone wants to build what they want and i support that.

I think the only problem is when people build them and sell them as genuine for the money side of things.

I like seeing people be original and creative, not just building it to mimmick something they couldve just bought outright in the first place.

I love to see older cars being fitted with stuff like ba gt bonnet bulges and some nice leather seats, updated brakes and suspension or adding a sunroof or putting white wall/white lettered tyres on, or custom badges and custom grills, Home made shift knobs. I like to look at a car and see an aspect of that person built into the car, Im not even fussy about what type of car it is or what they do, as long as they are putting their own thoughts and soul into it.

To me thats what the car scene is about. Its not about building a mock up car, thats just a wasted canvas. But each to their own. If you want to spend thousands making a car look like something it will never truly be and you are comfortable knowing that, then good for you i guess.
bazza91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2015, 05:29 PM   #86
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I get the "Is it genuine?" at servos.

I usually reply with "Yep, a genuine replica"

They normally look a bit confused for a bit and then want to take photos anyway
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2015, 06:32 PM   #87
marty351
Shenanigans..............

In the eyes of genuine gt owners, counterfeiter's should be punished. I've known a few on both sides and can see both points of view, but when a fake is paraded as genuine to the uneducated masses............
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2015, 07:14 PM   #88
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Cant imagine why anyone would have a problem with what someone else does to there car or what they deem to call it,its either a GT or its not either way theres a fair chance the sun will still come up in the morning.Personally i just love seeing any X series out on the road faker shaker or not.
Old 21-10-2015, 07:17 PM   #89
bazza91
Backyard Mechanic

I was hasty typing my earlier comment and forgot to add that i have exceptions for mock up cars, if your creating a mock up car thats meant to look like a movie car (for example the general lee or mad max's interceptor) i find these to be acceptable and usually quite tasteful. Mostly because your not taking a base model and building it to look like the top spec model. You are taking a car and recreating the usually completely custom look of the movie car. And when it comes to the general lee, the specific year and model of the original car is pretty much extinct now, mostly because of how many they used during production of the show for jumps etc. I remember when they remade the movie in 2005 or whatever that they had so much trouble finding cars that they used models that werent even the right year and just swapped out panels from already wrecked cars.
bazza91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #90
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

So many sensitive people get cranky at the strangest things, funny stuff...
Is it real or fake? Why on earth would that upset someone?

Anyway, I own a couple cars you would call genuine items, and I also own a couple cars which you'd call replicas.

I couldn't give a hoot what the next bloke thinks of what I do with any of them.
I don't care what people in the street ask me about any of them.
I believe my replica GT is a real GT (it may not be tagged by Ford, but it's a fine Grand Tourer nonetheless).
I believe a 'real' GT isn't as good as my 'replica' GT.
I'd own plenty of fakers and plenty of genuine articles, I'd love them all as much as each other.

The only thing that crosses the line IMO, is if someone tries to profit (sell) from a replica, passing it off as the genuine item when it isn't. That's fraud, and is illegal.

Tell the guy in the local carpark that it's real, hell yeh, who cares, so long as we're talking about cars and having a good time.
5 users like this post: