Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #61
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: KIA Builds a RWD V8 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcart
you mean a crap aussie car or a great car? thats another way of looking at it. just shut your mouth already, that hyundai is a good car, and has a higher tech engine then the ford. yes we all like fords, but can you look at things like this without your dellusional one sided viewpoint.
Crap Oz car? How did you come to that?

So let me get this straight, you would choose a top spec Hyundai over say this car..

http://www.chrysler.com.au/special_o...FQL1bwodvwuNhQ

Not only does it have more cred, its $8k cheaper and driveaway...thats the point. Hyundais et al work at the moment because they are specced ok and priced sharply. But once price is not such a factor their value diminishes.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #62
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Kia's recent change in design is due to the fact Peter Schreyer is now head of design. He worked for Audi for 25 years.

I too used to laugh at Hyundai and Kia but of late they're designs have made me look twice at their range. The Optima is jam packed with value.

Would I buy one? no but once Hyundai and Kia get their chassis dynamics to work their cars are going to be even better. Hyundai have recently taken in a new team of chassis engineers who actually drive. Hopefully it will help with their dynamics.

Other than the lack of driving dynamics their cars are reasonably good value for money. Should a RWD V8 come in from either one and priced under 50k and packed with their usual goodies it might become a very attractive package for some.

Kia and Hyundai have not sat on their hands like other makes, they have improved ten fold over the last decade. Their cars are not the shambles they once were. I wouldn't be so quick now to be writing them off.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #63
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Kia's recent change in design is due to the fact Peter Schreyer is now head of design. He worked for Audi for 25 years.

I too used to laugh at Hyundai and Kia but of late they're designs have made me look twice at their range. The Optima is jam packed with value.

Would I buy one? no but once Hyundai and Kia get their chassis dynamics to work their cars are going to be even better. Hyundai have recently taken in a new team of chassis engineers who actually drive. Hopefully it will help with their dynamics.

Other than the lack of driving dynamics their cars are reasonably good value for money. Should a RWD V8 come in from either one and priced under 50k and packed with their usual goodies it might become a very attractive package for some.

Kia and Hyundai have not sat on their hands like other makes, they have improved ten fold over the last decade. Their cars are not the shambles they once were. I wouldn't be so quick now to be writing them off.
Logic, on the interwebz well ill be damned. Top post.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #64
anto
Za Dom spremni

Thumbs down Re: KIA Builds a RWD V8 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcart
you mean a crap aussie car or a great car? thats another way of looking at it. just shut your mouth already, that hyundai is a good car, and has a higher tech engine then the ford. yes we all like fords, but can you look at things like this without your dellusional one sided viewpoint.
"crap aussie car" and "yes we all like fords" ? hmm, you seem a little confused.

so I assume you either own or have driven on of these fantastic Korean cars then? how on earth would you conclude its better than the "crap" aussie car ? please enlighten us if you can refrain from your potty mouth for a sceond.

another day, another dig at Ford... welcome to ford forums everyone
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #65
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfish
What we all seem to forget is that Ford and Holden really don't have much head room to reduce their price where as Kia/Hyundai would probably be able to reduce their price quite dramatically simply due to their production costs and the fact they basically make everything for their vehicles and Hyundai are fairly big in Heavy Industries i.e excavators etc.
heavy industries is also ship building, hyundai makes about 50 ocean liners a year.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #66
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
What I don't understand is why people pay upwards of $50,000 for a Taxi branded with a "performance" logo complete with plastic dash, crappy "premium" stereo, some different seats and and a big engine.
I did it for the big engine.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #67
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
Specs aside; if you can say that this car is ugly:

..then I think you have issues.

Now, keep in mind that this thread is relative to Kia releasing its own version of the Genesis/Equus large cars at Hyundai.

With that said, if you apply the luxury kit and powertrains the Hyundai vehicles provide, and it follows the design principle seen with the new generation Optima... I can only be a little excited personally.
I think the car looks great and many of the reviewers would agree. They also mentioned that it's all show and no go and would benefit from a lot more performance. I like looks and performance, one or the other doesn't attract me as a buyer. Put something decent under the bonnet and I would have no trouble considering one as my daily.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #68
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I think the car looks great and many of the reviewers would agree. They also mentioned that it's all show and no go and would benefit from a lot more performance. I like looks and performance, one or the other doesn't attract me as a buyer. Put something decent under the bonnet and I would have no trouble considering one as my daily.

Precisely, my point was Ford/Holden should be worried if Kia can bring something to the market that looks like that Optima that packs a decent powered v8 and RWD for a competitive price.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #69
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

http://www.caradvice.com.au/117625/k...pied-rumoured/
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 06-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #70
No.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
I think I could honestly say, There is not a car company in the world, that is trying to counteract No.6's lack of COOLness. There maybe some pimple cream makers, and "socks to stuff down your jocks" makers, but no car makers..

Actually, let me correct you. There is no brand in the world that can live up to my coolness. Im the coolest of the cool. What do you think caused the ice age? My ancestors birth, thats what. I come from a line of cool people. So bow your head and worship me, while i decide whether to bestow my great skills of coolness on you.

/sarcasm.

For lack of a better word, i used coolness to depict the lame stigma that Hyundai, Kia, Daewoo etc usually have around them. But like i said, what they have (hyundai) have been doing lately is changing that stigma. If you couldnt comprehend my statement, perhaps i shouldnt bestow my coolness on you, but rather some education.
No.6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #71
No.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Looks like a lancer front end (lights) with a bmw 5 series rear end (lights). I do however, like the maserati style side grills.

I like it.
No.6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #72
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by No.6
Looks like a lancer front end (lights) with a bmw 5 series rear end (lights). I do however, like the maserati style side grills.

I like it.
Yeah looks like it might actually have some decent lines.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 06-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #73
Bossxr8
Peter Car

All they need to work on is how to make a car ride, handle and steer properly.

They just can't get it even close to being good at any of those things let alone all 3. The article about most of their chassis engineers not even having a driving licence shows through in the way they drive.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #74
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE02
Bit off topic but the 7 year warranty that kia offer would be the same as the tripe that mitsubishi dish out (not worth the paper its written on)
Would it?? Tell me... How many buyers have crossed from Ford because of Mitsubishi's 5/10 warranty?? Or their capped servicing costs?? Or Hyundai's / Kia's 5yr / 160km warranty??

And...what has Ford done to counter-act this?? Nothing.

'Tripe' or not... it will get people interested in the product. It will generate sales when other brands are not keeping up with the competition.

How many years has Ford kept the 3yr/100km warranty for now 10 years +? (AU had it) Has design efficiency not improved? Has building practices not got better?? These are the questions going through the minds of buyers when they are investing 20k+ on a new car.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #75
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Looks great. The v8 under the bonnet would be fantastic.

If these less desirable car companies do bring out RWD powerful sedans thank look great, drive great and are reliable then that is only going to improve their image even more and eventually sway more buyers their way.

Hyundai and Kia are becoming more popular with their current models, having a performance line will only increase there buyer base
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #76
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1183
And Ford want to get ride of the Falcon in Australia as a rear-wheel drive vehicle
They're clever is Ford they is.

They keep telling people that know one wants big RWD sedans anymore, and yet more RWD V8's will be coming to Australia. Like Infiniti.

Ford need to build a new Falcon and Territory for Lincoln designed for export. Then they will have something truly competitive in the luxury and performance market.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #77
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Strangely enough, I keep hearing a persistent rumour about the Genesis, and Australia...
I thought Phil Collins had retired!
Old 09-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #78
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Yeah I'll pass on the KIA. I'll give points if it ends up here.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #79
FJ20ET

It's just history reinventing itself,every one laughed at the japanese offerings in the late sixties-early seventies.
Look what happened in the eighties and nineties.Ford GM and chrysler really started to hurt and the japanese are now making premium quality cars.
Then the koreans came along in the nineties and have matured immensely.
Next it will be the Chinese and then India.
If I were the big three I would be very worried right now....
FJ20ET is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #80
Buntz
Straight Eight

They don't need to worry just yet. It's the house of brands VW that needs to worry. They will eventually collapse from infighting and too many brands to build for.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #81
dogfish

I'd just love to see another make of car in the V8 supercar championship.
At the moment either a holden or a ford will win it a bit of a no brainer really.
It's sort of like two up place your bets heads or tails.
Maybe thats what they could call V8 Supercar. Surely people would like to see another make enter the ring and start allowing late model engines in.
Ford haven't had a pushrod V8 in production for nearly a decade and they are still racing them it's ridiculous.

THE TOY:2003 CV8R Monaro 6Spd Manual.

Last edited by dogfish; 10-05-2011 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Bad spelling and grammar
dogfish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2011, 11:15 PM   #82
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
They don't need to worry just yet. It's the house of brands VW that needs to worry. They will eventually collapse from infighting and too many brands to build for.
Explain further please?
VAG have already allocated who will be developing what.
Audi in charge of SUVs
Porsche to develop the sports cars and luxury.
Old 18-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #83
Buntz
Straight Eight

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/17/k...nterior-shots/

Yeah it's called the K9. Is this Kia's way of telling us it'll drive like a dog? lol

Still smacks at the rubbish Ford is telling us that no one wants a large, sophisticated, RWD saloon car with great looks and a V8 engine. Wake up Ford... and let Falcon take on this segment in the U.S. Market.
Old 18-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #84
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/17/k...nterior-shots/

Yeah it's called the K9. Is this Kia's way of telling us it'll drive like a dog? lol

Still smacks at the rubbish Ford is telling us that no one wants a large, sophisticated, RWD saloon car with great looks and a V8 engine. Wake up Ford... and let Falcon take on this segment in the U.S. Market.
Looks just like a BMW 5 Series GT, with the kidney grille replaced by a Kia grille. And V6 power? Son, I am disappoint. If you're going to release a car inspired by BMW, I'd much rather a straight six be used.
I laugh at how the Korean brands seem to be constantly misinterpreting the reason we love BMWs. It's not because of the way they look, or their standard features. It's because of the way they drive! Let's hope this Kia changes that.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #85
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

K9 is just a product code, not name.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #86
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
All they need to work on is how to make a car ride, handle and steer properly...
what sort of person buys a Kia and wants those things?
Old 18-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #87
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
what sort of person buys a Kia and wants those things?

None...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #88
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
None...
.....yet
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #89
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC
Looks just like a BMW 5 Series GT, with the kidney grille replaced by a Kia grille. And V6 power? Son, I am disappoint. If you're going to release a car inspired by BMW, I'd much rather a straight six be used.
I laugh at how the Korean brands seem to be constantly misinterpreting the reason we love BMWs. It's not because of the way they look, or their standard features. It's because of the way they drive! Let's hope this Kia changes that.
I am still none the less impressed by Kia/Hyundai's V6's. Great power. They're more powerful in all out horsepower than the NA 3.5L and 3.7L of Ford. I have not checked as to the power and torque @ rpm though.
Old 18-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #90
Chopped
as in chopped

Hyundai 5.0L V8 0-60mph >

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IVkxWapKd8

KIA will most likely get the same engine.