Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #61
disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landau Stable
Scenario 2: the life story and wrong facts. I don't need to know if your brothers aunty's sisters 3rd cousins nephew owned one with a BIG 350 chev that really flew. Umm isn't the 350 a GM engine anyway mate? It's nice to hear a little bit about someones love of the cars, but when it becomes a long winded and obscure reference to someone they hardly knew, or wrong facts, i just couldn't be bothered anymore.

Scenario 3: The folks who say hello and then instantly think it's ok to either lean on your car or open a door or run their hands over it etc. Excuse me? You are not a friend. And even a friend will know not to lean on my pride and joy or touch the paintwork. I hate it when people presume that they can do as they please since they did their obligitory hello. A stranger opening my door for a closer look is an instant way to make my blood boil. If i am asked, i will always oblige and let them have a seat even, but i DO NOT appreciate someone doing so without asking first.
These 2 scenarios' are spot on...

Scenario 2: People who babble on with rubbish and no facts (the ole uncle who owned a genuine ridgy didge Phase 4 which had an auto and towed the family boat.)

Scenario 3: People who feel the right to touch, handle and even lean / sit on your car. I've had numb skulls tap, sit on, lean, pull at and even remove parts off my cars to have a look at shows! It took all the patience and calmness in the world for me not instantly head butt them to the ground!!!

But the worst are parents with kids who let little Johnny swing off display posts next to show cars. I have never had posts around my cars, but I once just caught and saved a post hitting the door of someone else's fully restored car. The parents couldn't give a cr@p that the kid was running up and down knocking posts over!!!

cheers,
Dave.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #62
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you saw my XP in the flesh you would see its a 20m car, but god it turns some heads,

I once went to hungry jacks to pick my daughter up from a party and we got some olf guy with no teeth saying how these old holdens where the best cars ever made. I get thumbs up all the time, and the other day when drivign back from Canberra I had a car load of girls taking pics on their phones as the drove past

I'm not so fussed about the old dude but if a car load of pretty girls wants to take pictures of my car I have no problem with that at all

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #63
jlef5

I absolutely hate people touching others cars. I don't give a dam about my Nissan ute, can't hurt it unless you try. But I've had two people at the bottlo lean on it while talking, and the mother in law tapping on it as she talked on the phone rings on her finger. It's not a leaning post it's a classic car.
jlef5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #64
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im just waiting for the day when someone says "i've got one of those out the back in the shed, you want it?"

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #65
Dezza
Parts bin special

I've got an EA and an AU. What's this public admiration you talk about?

But seriously, I do get the odd compliment for the EA, and I'm very happy when I do. It makes me feel proud that all the time and effort I've put into it has created a car that many people enjoy, not just me.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #66
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

So im at the BP today, and in line to pay an old bloke said "is that your falcon?"
I imediatly thought of this thread and was like ahhhh here we go :|
But nope, he just said it was nice to see an old car and told me too go see his mate who owns a metal shop if i needed any info on the car hah
Then as i got to get served the lady behind the counter commented on how nice it was and remarked about the petrol it would go through, then as i left she said "see you tommorow!"
Old 01-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #67
sanchoXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
I like the 'look and admire' kinda people...

But - there are 2 things that annoy me to the point of explosion...

1). Everyone knows someone who's owned an XY GT-HO...
It is amazing, even though they made 300 of them, and lets say 1/2 of them are gone/MIA/otherwise...
Despite the above two FACTS, everytime someone talks to me, they have an uncle, a cousin, a friend, the neighbors, SOMEONE who owned a legit XY GT-HO...
Enough... I hate those stories... I can't even pretend to be interested in them anymore... so if you've seen me and have told me a story... its not that i'm not sociable... I just don't care!

2). Don't TOUCH the car!!!
Why do people INSIST on touching the car...??? In reality, the only place your hands should touch on a car is the door handles, and the edges of the boot and bonnet... THATS IT!!!
Why do they have to touch, rub, lean, etc the car?? Is it a sexual thing?? Are they trying to seduce the car?? It annoys the hell out of me...
Takes a long time, and lots of TLC to keep original paint 'ORIGINAL' and one of the best ways is to keep GRUBBY HANDS off it!!!

So... a new sign will be made up for mine... (though its gonna be kinda long)...

NOT FOR SALE
DON'T FFFFING TOUCH
NO STORIES PLEASE
RESPECT AND ADMIRE

Loftie
Whats even more amazing is how many people knew someone who owned a geniune phase 4. Fools.
sanchoXB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #68
ZDI-970
Formerly D3v[]

lol my car got paitned yesterday, and an old bloke that came into work was telling us how he had a car painted the same colour (green) and because they were in a drought the grasshoppers were trying to eat the paint lol.. also had a lot of people checking it out on the way to work (on the back of the truck) so now that its painted a bright greeny yellow id imagine there'll be a few looks on the way home
ZDI-970 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 01:00 PM   #69
xbcool
dazed&confused

yep I've heard or had most of the previous thing s happen over the years, and usually am happy to talk or let people look .

but the old SOUNDS LIKE SHES GOT A LUMPY CAM IN IT is wearing thin.

my response to that is nah mate shes stock , then drive away sedatly then light the tyres at about 60kph.

steve

beauty is only skin deep.
ugly goes all the way to the bone.
xbcool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #70
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

I live in a semi rural area (where my F100 kind of 'fits in') and a while back I was visiting my brother in Fremantle. We went off to get pizza's and whilst waiting, two young chicky babes came and asked me if they could take photos of the car as they thought it was "really cool". Now, I am thinking, are they taking the p!ss or what, to the point of thinking, I bet they will have posted up on the facebook or whatever "hey, come and check out the Redneck we saw today".

I have also had a few young women comment on my '77 P6 LTD as being 'really cool' too. Once again, I think "surely they can't be serious". I thought it was only old farts that liked these tanks. But yes, the LTD does get quite a few looks.
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #71
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last time someone walked up to me and said "Hey is that your Falcon?" after me saying Yep, they went on to say "well you'd better look at your radiator because it's leaking all over my Driveway"

Ahh well so much for admiration

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #72
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

I guess that is the charm of driving something older, something with character or something just different. Have had police pull me over to eventually chat about my car (they mention it puts them in mind of smokey and the bandit).

Have had the reaction of people asking me how I got it, how much it was to convert etc. The funniest are the new generation in riced up lancers comming up beside me in look of amazement like they have never seen a Chevy Coupe before.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:25 PM   #73
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep .. if you didn't like being looked at you would buy and drive an old car. Driving AMCs/Ramblers ('69 and '74 AMC Javelin coupes) I have a few personal favourites:
1. What is it? It's an AMC Javelin .. no not an Ford Mustang AMC Javelin.
2. My father/uncle/etc used to have one of those except it was a four-door with a four cylinder .. and it was a Toyota.
3. Those Jowett Javelins were great cars .. Arrgghh!!!!
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #74
Assassinbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
The only thing that annoys me when I am driving the Coupe, is people who stare at the car when you are driving next to them and their car starts to wander into your lane....So many times I have had to point or beep the horn to get them to correct their steering.

Heaps of people have offered to buy the car and pics get taken all the time. I dont mind that at all. Shows people have taste!

Yes I have had an experience while parked on the side of the tarmac in me XY ute, on the phone(no hands free) & some womble in a VT rubbernecking instead of watching the traffic stop in front used the car infront(I think is was some old rice burner, insignificant!) for brakes
Old 01-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #75
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco
I've had numb skulls tap, sit on, lean, pull at and even remove parts off my cars to have a look at shows!
WHAT THE ****???
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #76
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The coupe draws a fair bit of attention when out & about.
I enjoy the attention & admiration because i do exactly the same to other cars i see.
Be it families driving on the freeway with kids in the back, guys & girls in their teens walking along the street, older blokes almost spinning their head off as you cruise by, all of them either waving, smiling or trying to take a picture.

But one of the most flattering times was an elderly couple caught up to me on the freeway & mum in the front seat was taking pics whilst the old boy was smiling and giving me the thumbs up.
What were they driving?.......A late model luxury European car.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #77
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I cannot go anywhere without a discussion from someone at the lights and especially at service stations, seeing cars behind with their phone up taking pics etc. The double takes and head snapping and the Mrs loves watching everyone else and keeps saying, "Did you see that bloke taking pics??" Don't care how many ask what it is or they had one or their friends friends had one in a shed. All part of it and am chuffed that so many people like it and love to point. I have too many stories as there is one almost every trip out ..... Even better when there are 2 coupes driving around .... nearly causes accidents!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 02:56 PM   #78
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
I cannot go anywhere without a discussion from someone at the lights and especially at service stations, seeing cars behind with their phone up taking pics etc. The double takes and head snapping and the Mrs loves watching everyone else and keeps saying, "Did you see that bloke taking pics??" Don't care how many ask what it is or they had one or their friends friends had one in a shed. All part of it and am chuffed that so many people like it and love to point. I have too many stories as there is one almost every trip out ..... Even better when there are 2 coupes driving around .... nearly causes accidents!
I love it when we are out driving, you give it a squirt & your wife's head snaps back. lol.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #79
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Even better when there are 2 coupes driving around .... nearly causes accidents!
Friend of mine with a '49 Ford convertible had a guy too busy looking at him and turn right infront of oncoming traffic at 60km/h .. not nice.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #80
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits
I love it when we are out driving, you give it a squirt & your wife's head snaps back. lol.
Oh she does get cranky on that "Tell me when you are going to do that!!" ..... and when I am first at the lights and try and quietly slip it into 1st gear ..... I get the glare and "Don't even think about it .... " while being egged on by the 'P's in the car next to us

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
Friend of mine with a '49 Ford convertible had a guy too busy looking at him and turn right infront of oncoming traffic at 60km/h .. not nice.
Wonder how many accidents have we caused and we don't even know about it

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 01-02-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #81
Ibrox90
Banned

Quote:
and when I am first at the lights and try and quietly slip it into 1st gear ..... I get the glare and "Don't even think about it .... " while being egged on by the 'P's in the car next to us

I get that when I slip the BA into Manual mode from the missus, And if been the P Plater doing the egging on

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #82
Fled74
The Thread Killa

I often give the thumbs up to people in classic cars. 40% of the time I get an appreciative nod or wave back, 60% of the time they look at me as if to say "who the F are you?"

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #83
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like pulling up next to a carload of hot chicks and watching them stare at my big black throbbing... shaker. :P

But my FAVOURITE comments are little kids who see the car and shout "WHOA DAD LOOK AT THAT CAR!" at the top of their lungs.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #84
disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
WHAT THE ****???
Yep.. at a show some fcking tool once removed the air filter off of my carby to check a part number!!!

My mate almost decked him!
disco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #85
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco
Yep.. at a show some fcking tool once removed the air filter off of my carby to check a part number!!!

My mate almost decked him!
Wow Dave...unbelieveable.....

Someone must have popped too many confidence pills that morning!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #86
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits
LOL..my wife never even wanted to step inside my old XD..but I look forward to throwing in a naughty full throttle here and there soon enough.

Geez its so hard for some of you blokes/gals with beautiful cars..although I understand there must be a limit.

ON THE FLIP side next time you guys are near a young person with a nice Ford (on his/her P's) try and say something nice about their car. Going back a few years now I remember once I pulled into a servo right next to a P3 in my old EA/ED mutant that had a straight through exhaust at the time, and he said "jeez that sounds alright for a 6". I thought he was going to bag me out.

Made my day. Sounds lame I know but its the little things.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 01-02-2011 at 03:41 PM. Reason: fixing gender
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #87
davessleepin351
anti-zombie specialist

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey117
the only people that check my car out have blue lights and uniforms with guns
+ 1

xe's are still firmly planted in 'bogan' car territory, hence why i refuse to paint it.. as in the past you get people touching leaning on it and u get the " wats the matter its only a pos xe"

my nuckles still ache when its cold...
Old 01-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #88
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When my father drives his old vintage car on the street, it gets a lot of attention. The last time he took it out there were cars hitting the brakes and reversing down the road to look at it and drive off again.

The last time he used it on the annual Australia Day cruise I was with him and went through a local park full of drunken people wearing Australia flag merchandise. There were girls everywhere wearing bikinis and draped with Australia wooing at us as well as the guys also shouting and waving at us too. My dad was not enjoying it at all and kept complaining about them blocking the road.

It's strange that the car only gets so much attention now because when he used to drive a lot in the late '90s, it hardly got as much attention as much as recent times.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #89
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey117
the only people that check my car out have blue lights and uniforms with guns
Yes I also had the problem when I still had that KA Laser. The car is long gone now, but whenever a police car drove past, they would always do a U-turn and come back to pull me over just to check my licence and breathalyse me.

I have always kept my licence on me while driving and have never considered driving after having alcohol, ever.

It's annoying because meanwhile you see run down VB-VT Commodores speeding and doing burnout on the streets and no one cares about that.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #90
Jimmyd
Banned

Can't help but smile at the attention the old RS2000 gets, even in the company some pretty tidy metal...

Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post