Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 31-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #61
MickG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
You're not mad for buying another ford, you're just mad for going BACK to them for help ;)

But in all seriousness, if you want a dealer you can actually trust, go to Nova ford and talk to Barnsey
Thanks SgtBourne, i'll bear that in mind when it comes service time again
Old 31-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #62
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

If it's clunking, it's working!

I also find the gear box to be much smoother when changing at 5500-6000 rpm ;)

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #63
YUSLOW
Why you slow?

Drive it like you just stole it!

They're a great little car.
YUSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #64
turbo_gtr86

Are you serious they arent going to be making the xr5 anymore? When is that gonna finish? I was hoping to buy a new one next year...
Old 27-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #65
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_gtr86
Are you serious they arent going to be making the xr5 anymore? When is that gonna finish? I was hoping to buy a new one next year...
Yep, they're finishing up this year. Mondeo XR5 has already finished and focus will be soon as well.

Old 27-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #66
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_gtr86
Yup, ford no longer owns volvo, so they don't have access to the 2.5 5cyl engine.

August will be the last batch delievered production has already finished.
Old 28-06-2010, 01:24 AM   #67
crispymk2

What's your source on that? Last I heard they were expected to be available till around November?
Old 29-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #68
turbo_gtr86

I spoke to my local dealer and they said no more from ford only what dealers have in stock so that sucks ***
Old 29-06-2010, 10:09 PM   #69
jumbuck
Starter Motor

So is there anything in the pipeline to replace the Focus XR5 ? I thought they sold quite well so they would lose out on sales if there wasn't an alternative.
jumbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2010, 10:45 PM   #70
entheos

August is when the dealers are being able to place their last orders....after that....NO MORE....Ford and Volvo no longer sharing the 5pot motor...the new one will be a 4cyl Direct injection turbo....
entheos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 10:27 PM   #71
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IS the replacement for the XR5 going to be the 2 litre petrol turbo four cylinder that develops around 177 kw and will it be called an XR4?
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 11:03 PM   #72
entheos

Lol...is that a Qn or a statement?

That's the word on the grapevine marg.... 2L 4Cyl Direct Injection and probably badged Focus XR4

I doubt it will produce as much torque...unfortunately it'll end up 'just another turbo 4' and lose the addictive 5 pot growl.
entheos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #73
peachey80
Nothing stays standard !!

Hey guys,
I have just taken ownership of a new XR5 myself. Was looking around for a new car for the missus in town, and on the way home I said, lets just call in here and test an XR5, she wanted a VRX lancer...... and was sold on it within 10 mins.
They are such an awesome car to drive and fantastic value for money. Got a June '10 plate with 22klms on the clock for $32800 drive away Colorado Red with the stripes.
First 3000klms will only be on about 5 psi boost, then once youtake it in to ford they will give it full boost - about 14psi - so looking forward to that !!!
Dealer had told me the new ones are getting the ecoboost engine, so yes, no more 5 pot banger after this model.
Will post some pics later.

Project Car : XA Coupe : XA Project
peachey80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #74
entheos

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachey80
Hey guys,
I have just taken ownership of a new XR5 myself. Was looking around for a new car for the missus in town, and on the way home I said, lets just call in here and test an XR5, she wanted a VRX lancer...... and was sold on it within 10 mins.
They are such an awesome car to drive and fantastic value for money. Got a June '10 plate with 22klms on the clock for $32800 drive away Colorado Red with the stripes.
First 3000klms will only be on about 5 psi boost, then once youtake it in to ford they will give it full boost - about 14psi - so looking forward to that !!!
Dealer had told me the new ones are getting the ecoboost engine, so yes, no more 5 pot banger after this model.

Congrats peachey...They are a fantastic car to drive...jump over to www.fordxr5turbo.com and check out all the info available on these cars...

I'm not sure about what the dealer has told you regarding boost...I have never heard that in my dealings with the cars...they run .65bar (9.5psi) from factory and will do until the day you throw a different tune(custom, dreamscience or otherwise) on it....then you'll see what the car can 'really' do.....16psi seems to be the sweet spot for these cars...The dealers won't do any such thing at the 3000 'Peace Of Mind' INSPECTION...It's purely a checkup on the vehicle and make sure everything is tight and still running right...the Oil isnt changed...reccommended at 7500kms as a mineral oil is used originall from factory (15W40) for engine 'run-in' and then FULLY SYNTHETIC therafter (5W30 Castrol Edge Sport) is used.

Where are you located?
Old 13-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #75
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheos
.I have never heard that in my dealings with the cars...they run .65bar (9.5psi) from factory and will do until the day you throw a different tune(custom, dreamscience or otherwise) on it....
Correct!

The only diff you'll notice with a stock car is the normal ecu adjusting itself after a certain number of kms. Full boost is achieved via your favourite DS/bluefin or other tune. DS Mod X seems to be the bees knees at the mo with many loving the smooth torque curve and no surge at 100-110

Old 13-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #76
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachey80
Hey guys,

Awesome mate! C-Red and stripes is a bloody fantastic combo, put up some pics mate
Old 13-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #77
peachey80

Quote:
Congrats peachey...They are a fantastic car to drive...jump over to www.fordxr5turbo.com and check out all the info available on these cars...

I'm not sure about what the dealer has told you regarding boost...I have never heard that in my dealings with the cars...they run .65bar (9.5psi) from factory and will do until the day you throw a different tune(custom, dreamscience or otherwise) on it....then you'll see what the car can 'really' do.....16psi seems to be the sweet spot for these cars...The dealers won't do any such thing at the 3000 'Peace Of Mind' INSPECTION...It's purely a checkup on the vehicle and make sure everything is tight and still running right...the Oil isnt changed...reccommended at 7500kms as a mineral oil is used originall from factory (15W40) for engine 'run-in' and then FULLY SYNTHETIC therafter (5W30 Castrol Edge Sport) is used.

Where are you located?
Thanks mate,
Yeah, may have been the salesman spiel, but I did notice the car I test drove was pulling over 1 bar on the boost guage, and the one I have just bought barley get over .3 maybe .4 bar, so wouldn't be 6 psi boost at the moment.
I'm in Tas, L'ton.

Some pics......

Old 14-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #78
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

aw man I'm a sucker for C-Red n stripes.

It's the one combo that I would actually upgrade from my LS for.

I have found on the new stock LV's they pull to 2/3's on the gauge easily.

I think the salesman is just a wee bit confused, as Entheos has said, jump on the xr5 forum, lots of info and there are a few very knowledgable and nice blokes who live down in Tassie who can steer you in the right direction as to where to get services etc.
Old 14-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #79
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
aw man I'm a sucker for C-Red n stripes.

It's the one combo that I would actually upgrade from my LS for.

I have found on the new stock LV's they pull to 2/3's on the gauge easily.

I think the salesman is just a wee bit confused, as Entheos has said, jump on the xr5 forum, lots of info and there are a few very knowledgable and nice blokes who live down in Tassie who can steer you in the right direction as to where to get services etc.
i think a comparison run between a stock LS, LT and LV is required to see if there are in fact, any performance changes that Ford MAY have implemented

Old 14-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #80
entheos

The LV arguably delivers more power to the wheels than the LS/LT, BUT that could just be due to age...most dyno runs have proven this fact, but also some runs have shown new for new that the LV has more power....even though they are marketed at 166kw at the fly from go to present...

As far as the stock car adjusting itself...it does learn your driving style...this can be overcome by resetting you KAM fuse...or re-flashing...if you drove the car hard from start and I mean from teh moment you left the dealership, your car WILL produce more power than someone's who has babied it for the first 3000kms...again overcome usually by the KAM fuse reset...see www.fordxr5turbo.com for more info on that. The engines are run in as such when you take delivery, so there's no need to be 'driving it in' for this car.

The car does have torque limiting in first and second from factory, so you'll find that the 'boost guage' will only read a max of 1/4(0.3bar) with maybe a small spike over that initially, but if you put the boot in, in 3rd and higher the guage will settle at just over 1/2 (0.65bar) again mayb with a small peak over that...as mentioned before DSCi and Bluefin and other tuning handsets or software will change that...as well as changing exhaust, intake and IC (breathing mods).

food for thought.
Old 17-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #81
peachey80

Ok,
So it clicked over 600klms during the week, thought - it is the weekend, must be my turn to drive it now, stopped driving the old fashioned way of running in an engine and gave it some gas in 2nd and 3rd, still not WOT though and sure enough teh boost guage hovered at 1/4 for a little while, then all of a sudden jumped up to nearly 3/4's...... nice, instant smile on my dial, and a dirty look from the missus....

Old 18-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #82
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Atta boy peachey!
Old 18-07-2010, 09:06 PM   #83
peachey80

Cheers mate, I then threw in the ol' "god I'd love to take this thing around the track" to what was the reply..... "I don't care, as long as you don't break it"...... Not really the response I thought I would get....

Sooo, after a few thousand kay's..... simmons... baskerville... here I come !

Old 19-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #84
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That is the best thing she could of said, now you can say "I'll need sticky tyres so I don't crash" and "I'll need a tune as the stock one runs quite lean so It'll need to be richer to stay safe"

and on and on it goes
Old 19-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #85
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Speaking in tongues other that 'female' won't allow you to easily justify purchasing the items YOU want for the car. So, as bourney put it, stick the simple words and give reasoning for your proposed 'investment'.

words such as 'don't crash' and 'stay safe' work very well.

Another is 'saves money so you can buy that thing you like'.

That one works a treat :P

Old 24-07-2010, 11:22 PM   #86
Skid Marx

I wasn't even considering the XR5 Focus until I sat in one and it felt just right and said "Drive me!" I took it for a spin on the same day I'd tried a few other popular Jap cars - none of which excited me, and the Focus had me straight away.

The clutch is a bit weird in that it takes quite a while to get used to the varying spring pressure down near the floor, but once your mastered it you feel like a pro. Visibility is pretty restricted but lots of modern cars suffer from 'Roman Column' style 'A' pillars however, the generous wing mirrors make up for this. Fuel economy is actually pretty good if you drive it kindly. Yes, it has a big turning circle but the fact that this is usually mentioned in the 'don't like' lists indicates just how few vices this car has.

The engine in the XR5 alone is worth the price. Other hatches are quicker to 100ks by a few fractions, but I'd say none of them as as good overall.
Skid Marx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #87
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The clutch feel you are talking about isn't normal unless it has an aftermarket clutch.

The S60R clutch will be lightish then get heavy just near the floor.

Stock should be pretty smooth the entire way.

I'm guessing you are looking @ a second hand one?

RE: turning circle, yes it's horrible, but then again you can fit 235 tyres to this puppy which means awesome cornering and ability to get the power down, which I'm happy to sacrifice turning circle for.
Old 25-07-2010, 04:16 PM   #88
Mick K.

Quote:
Lol...is that a Qn or a statement?

That's the word on the grapevine marg.... 2L 4Cyl Direct Injection and probably badged Focus XR4

I doubt it will produce as much torque...unfortunately it'll end up 'just another turbo 4' and lose the addictive 5 pot growl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Motor Report
In XR5 Turbo trim, the Focus will likely draw power from Ford's turbo-charged 2.0 litre EcoBoost engine - also scheduled to join the Ford Falcon range next year.

The 2.0 litre EcoBoost engine develops 205kW and 379Nm of torque in concept form, compared to the current XR5 Turbo's 165kW turbo-charged 2.5 litre Duratec engine.
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/486...ants-previewed

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2010, 04:42 PM   #89
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My betting is Ford will tune it way down from the concept car's output for reliability and fuel quality related reasons and also leave a bit to "develop" further refinements in model updates later in its life. The engine should be a bit lighter so overall I woudl expect a slightly faster car than the current XR5.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post