Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #61
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
I don't get it? You sent some pics to friends and they sent you back a raspberry..... isn't that what friends do? Then you post a gripe on a heavily biased forum, to ridicule your friends albeit anonymously knowing it will solicit the usual rah rah, bogan, holden, etc BS... is this how you treat your unwitting friends who do the classic Aussie mickey take?

The ute you can keep, it's just a ute, but the coupe is nice head turner from the early 70s.
Thats assuming there's humour, or intended humour in the 'mickey' taking. When humour is not intended it becomes offensive. (like my ugly child analogy really). There's a distinct difference between 'should have bought a holden mate ha ha ha' and 'fords are s--t'

Yes, its to be expected that there is a bias on such a forum, but then that exists everywhere, it just appears to me that there's a large amount of respect missing and that's the point i'm making more than any other here.
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 08:54 PM   #62
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
the simple response to
"You should have bought a Holden"

is

"And your father should have used a condom"
Excellent, thank you. I can see that being used quite often.
Quote:
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 08:56 PM   #63
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
the simple response to

is

There's another response but I don't want you to ban me. lol
Old 14-06-2009, 09:19 PM   #64
yetchh
go bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Mate that's an E-type Jag. There are better examples then that.

funny.. this what japanese car lovers are up against, loads of v8 lovers regard japanese cars as being rubbish, "soulless" as i stated before, automotive ignorance, recieved from both holden and ford and european and american supposed car lovers... all i can say is welcome.... ford lovers are every bit as one eyed as everyone else just some are ruder than others including friends..

p.s... i'm not havin a dig at you vztrt, you just fell into my trap :evil3:

*edit* yet again i post before i read.....
1977 RX4/929 coupe in epoxy finally
1976 121 Cosmo 2l turbo
yetchh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 09:26 PM   #65
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetchh

p.s... i'm not havin a dig at you vztrt, you just fell into my trap :evil3:
Trap me all you like, if you wanna make a decent example put something up that shows your point.

Like I said after that post there are nice old school cars Jap cars. Posting up a car that's a rip off of of a classic ENGLISH Jag (that ran a 6...well S1 anyway) is not a good example.
Old 14-06-2009, 09:29 PM   #66
yetchh
go bro

looks like i fell into yours....

one thing that does get me about holden owners is that the commodore is heavily based on the vauxhall omega shell but is about 4-5 years behind and is still claimed as a true aussie car, when really ford is the only one that has really made true aussie(shelled) cars..

still.. aussie cars back then ripped off lots of american styling just like the japanese did.. thats not the point.. people who diss others about their preferences are ignorant..
1976 121 Cosmo 2l turbo
Old 14-06-2009, 09:55 PM   #67
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yettch,

The VE is all australian design, based on a ZETA global platform that was designed and developed right here in Australia. So far there are only a handful on vehicles that are using it, one being the VE commodore/ statesman/ ute range, and the 2009 Chevrolet Camaro.

It shouldnt be a question of Australianism, however Holden do make a better play of that particular "All Australian" angle to the everyday Aussie Bob on the street. Fords marketing appears to revolve around other angles, that may not appeal to as many people as the marketing strategies used by Holden.

This entire thread could basically be boiled down to this fact.
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 10:28 PM   #68
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Amuses me to come back and find a discussion on soulless...let me clarify.

It does not as suggested above equate to 'rubbish'.

It equates to me to two things:
1) Cars that as just so damn good at what they do they subsequently fail to be interesting to drive. Interesting often equates to 'flaws'. Hence why SOME excellent Japanese cars particularly CAN be soulless. The new GTR is a example where they seem to be trying to reverse that trend and put more tactile feedback back into the driving experience
2) Cars that are so busy being good in other ways they end up being a great car in a bland body

Japanese cars are excellent, but some have taught us that excellent doesnt necessarily equate to interesting or involving.

Now before someone takes exception to that, IM NOT GENERALIZING. And I recognized that 2000GT when I saw it. And I have owned 3 240Z's and I'd still buy one. But back then in time, by my definition, cars had 'interest'. They simply had more flaws.

I trust I have repaired my relationship with followers of the rising sun

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 10:32 PM   #69
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT69
Today i was out on the foot path, warming the XR up and decided to take some pics.

I sent one of the XR and the XB off to a few friends, the replies i got was rather extreme.
So, you take pics of your cars and send them (via phone I assume) to some friends.....

Could it be that they thought you were bragging. Because if they were friends they should already know what you drive and wouldn't need to be reminded.

If one of my mates sent me pics of his car(s) my first thoughts would probably be "So, you just washed it or what?"
Old 14-06-2009, 10:41 PM   #70
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
the simple response to

is

Old 14-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #71
yetchh
go bro

i was meaning the previous models, sorry.. but yeah.. maybe people should stop listening to the spin from others and concentrate on the facts as they stand.. this is an age old problem and will prob continue as long as the marques do.

oh and the the 2000 gt is japanese designed.. the yamaha prototype was designed by a german yank, toyota used they're own e type "inspired" design :Reverend:
1976 121 Cosmo 2l turbo
Old 14-06-2009, 10:45 PM   #72
Joshvee
A New Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
So, you take pics of your cars and send them (via phone I assume) to some friends.....

Could it be that they thought you were bragging. Because if they were friends they should already know what you drive and wouldn't need to be reminded.

If one of my mates sent me pics of his car(s) my first thoughts would probably be "So, you just washed it or what?"
Actually thats kinda the first thought that went through my mind when I read the thread. If I sent a pic of my car to my friends, even to the 1 friend who is a die hard Ford fan, they'd think im boasting or rubbing their noses in it, and would give me hell in return. So maybe that is what happened? And vise versa, If they sent me a pic of their car, I'd think.. err ok, so what? I've seen his car 100 times.

Also, I don't get why some ppl are saying that ppl who arent into cars or don't respect ur love for cars are idiots?? just because they are not into cars the way we are?? thats a very narrow minded attitude. everyone has their hobbies, you may not respect their hobbies or you may even think they are crazy....I think ballroom dancers are crazy lol but I'm still civil towards them.
Old 14-06-2009, 10:50 PM   #73
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Quote:
i was meaning the previous models, sorry.. but yeah.. maybe people should stop listening to the spin from others and concentrate on the facts as they stand.. this is an age old problem and will prob continue as long as the marques do.

oh and the the 2000 gt is japanese designed.. the yamaha prototype was designed by a german yank, toyota used they're own e type "inspired" design :Reverend:
Its testing my memory but I reckon the 2000GT and 240Z had the same roots in Mr Albrecht Goetz's design.

Anyway, a bit O/T so I'll shutup now

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 10:55 PM   #74
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
I don't get it? You sent some pics to friends and they sent you back a raspberry..... isn't that what friends do? Then you post a gripe on a heavily biased forum, to ridicule your friends albeit anonymously knowing it will solicit the usual rah rah, bogan, holden, etc BS... is this how you treat your unwitting friends who do the classic Aussie mickey take?
I think he knows best whether or not it was a "mickey take". To me, and it seems the rest of the posters here (apart from yourself), didn't see what you're referring to simply because a "mickey take" is something entirely different.

Sharing pics between mates has the usual response of "nice car" whatever it the brand is. And denying the existence of boganism demonstrates how out of touch some people are.

Quote:
The ute you can keep, it's just a ute...
That's almost as bad as GT69's mate's responses.
Old 14-06-2009, 10:55 PM   #75
yetchh
go bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
Its testing my memory but I reckon the 2000GT and 240Z had the same roots in Mr Albrecht Goetz's design.

Anyway, a bit O/T so I'll shutup now

yeah you're right.. yamaha had the original design with Albrecht Goetz.. they went to datsun/nissan who wern't keen so they went to toyota and they ran with it.. thats how i know it anyway.. i could be ignorant at this point now too
1976 121 Cosmo 2l turbo
Old 14-06-2009, 11:12 PM   #76
yetchh
go bro

speaking of all japanese design, how about the revolutionary mazda roadpacer

1976 121 Cosmo 2l turbo
Old 14-06-2009, 11:17 PM   #77
Joshvee
A New Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Sharing pics between mates has the usual response of "nice car" whatever it the brand is.
Yes, if all your mates are car enthusiasts and love the same brand. But to send a picture of ur Ford to Holden fans, especially none car enthusiasts, is just asking for trouble.
Old 14-06-2009, 11:20 PM   #78
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
I think he knows best whether or not it was a "mickey take". To me, and it seems the rest of the posters here (apart from yourself), didn't see what you're referring to simply because a "mickey take" is something entirely different.

Sharing pics between mates has the usual response of "nice car" whatever it the brand is. And denying the existence of boganism demonstrates how out of touch some people are.

That's almost as bad as GT69's mate's responses.
Well that's the thing isn't it. If he knew his freinds he wouldn't be sending them pics they:

1) don't want to see
2) would respond to by sending him hurtful/derogatory messages.

I may not know his friends, but that doesn't mean you and the other posters do either. Sheer numbers doesn't make something right.

What is this bogan stuff you guys keep talking about. In my day a "bog" was someone who wore black DBs, checked flannel shirt, black stove pipes. The car was incidental.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 11:21 PM   #79
Joshvee
A New Convert

Quote:
speaking of all japanese design, how about the revolutionary mazda roadpacer

looks like a HZ Holden Kingswood with 4 lights

Old 14-06-2009, 11:30 PM   #80
steamin63
old skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshvee
looks like a HZ Holden Kingswood with 4 lights

yep basically a hz premier with a 4 cylinder if memory serves me correct.
Old 14-06-2009, 11:32 PM   #81
yetchh
go bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamin63

13b rotary auto "stump puller"
1976 121 Cosmo 2l turbo
Old 14-06-2009, 11:37 PM   #82
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamin63
As I recall the twin lights were the "Premier" Holden model n'est pas?
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 11:58 PM   #83
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Well that's the thing isn't it. If he knew his freinds he wouldn't be sending them pics they:

1) don't want to see
2) would respond to by sending him hurtful/derogatory messages.

I may not know his friends, but that doesn't mean you and the other posters do either. Sheer numbers doesn't make something right.

What is this bogan stuff you guys keep talking about. In my day a "bog" was someone who wore black DBs, checked flannel shirt, black stove pipes. The car was incidental.
You're reading to much into this, I'm not sure your in depth analysis is required. The op is right, there are backward people fixated on the derogatory attitude - he wasn't expecting his own mates to be like this - you yourself are a witness to that. It's seems you're contradicting yourself, Wally. You should relax a bit.
Old 15-06-2009, 01:39 AM   #84
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
13b rotary auto "stump puller"
And only the dignitaries used it, wasn't that why Mazda built it cause they needed a luxury car?
Old 15-06-2009, 01:52 AM   #85
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Call them a 'conformist', usually that shuts any Holden driver up pretty quickly.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2009, 01:55 AM   #86
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Mazda AP Roadpacer was never the success in Japan that Mazda was after. This was due to a number of reasons.
-It was too expensive, and sitting in a Japanese taxation class of its own due to it width was what made it to expensive compared to competition.
-It was slow. Deathly slow, as in 0-100 in 18.6s forget a 0-400m run. Considering the Nissan President and Toyota Royals of the time were packing a V8 that would run rings around it.
-It was also an orphan, with styling that the Japanese just didnt warm to, even with the orange brocade trim, individual rear buckets and champagne cooler in the rear.
-The rotary was just too underpowered for what turned out to be a car with an almost 1700kg kerb weight ready to roll.

That said though, there is a small but very enthusiastic collectors market for them in Japan.
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2009, 03:16 AM   #87
ChipXR6
Gassed XR6

Hey GT69. Both your vehicles are good looking and quick. The girls sound young and dumb. Stay true blue and if it upsets you, give them the flick as friends. Cheers
ChipXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2009, 09:10 AM   #88
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Seems as though you might have chosen the wrong friends. Nobody I know would be so disrespectful of what I have, let alone the two cars you have there. I'd submit that these people are so myopic in their views, that they polarize a lot of people with their opinions.

Ofcourse if they are women, it is to be expected as they are often stupid.

Quote: