Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-02-2008, 09:38 PM   #61
gngtho
Banned

Appart from all the prev history of Mitsi's problems, deos anyone know if other pollitical issuss have impacted on the Japs decission. IE: the fact that so many Aussies are against the killing of the whales by them.

I think to some extent this is one other pollitical issue in this.
gngtho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #62
gngtho
Banned

AS for the move it was said today that they would be building a new plant in Russia.
gngtho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 09:44 PM   #63
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by gngtho
AS for the move it was said today that they would be building a new plant in Russia.
dam, thats really going to improve the build quality!
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 10:03 PM   #64
dandaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose

Hahahaha instead of first clocking their card, they line up for a breatho
dandaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 10:08 PM   #65
McobraR
me may my mo

Just watched the abc news, they had interviews with wheels editor and john mellor as well, they said the 2 major companies in Australia are Holden and Toyota, Ford HAS to have an export program if it doesnt wanna end up like mitsubishi. Mitsubishi falling out will have a ripple effect, the supply company for certain parts that USED to supply for 4 vehicles (falc, commo, aurion and 380) now are supplying for only 3 vehicles, and are hoping that the 3 vehicles sell heaps for that company to maintain profits. If the falcon doesn't produce the numbers (which is likely in my eyes since the big-car segment is depreciating) then without doubt Ford's in trouble, Focus is coming, but thats not coming in YEARS and alot can happen in a couple of years (AU falcon anyone?)
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 10:08 PM   #66
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose
Actually, it would probably improve exponentially.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 10:12 PM   #67
Wally
XP Coupe

They never managed to shed the image of a sensible car, made for geriatrics = straw hat or bowls hat at the rear window. The Magna also entrenched itself as the company car for lower order executives.

If they wanted to make a family car they should have targetted the family man with kids. It might have played in their favour if they actually increased the price to eliminate the perception that the cost gap between it and a similarly appointed VE was because of inferior quality rather than value for money.

Of course persistant rumours of closure wouldn't have helped either.

I think most Oz makers have forgotten how to market the little things. For instance when Holden brought out the HQ, I remember the advert hype about coiled rear suspension and footage of the car riding over sleepers and corrogated roads. Sure it was just one part to a car, but it allowed the consumer to focus on one thing. These days you get a fleeting shot of items which might be of consequence, but not enough time to absorb the significance.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 10:17 PM   #68
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
They never managed to shed the image of a sensible car, made for geriatrics = straw hat or bowls hat at the rear window. The Magna also entrenched itself as the company car for lower order executives.
I find it funny that in tamworth magnas are quite popular among P-platers and there is one particualy quick one...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 10:26 PM   #69
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rear wheel drive for the 380 would probably have saved them....

Old 05-02-2008, 10:28 PM   #70
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McobraR
Just watched the abc news, they had interviews with wheels editor and john mellor as well, they said the 2 major companies in Australia are Holden and Toyota, Ford HAS to have an export program if it doesnt wanna end up like mitsubishi.
With they way the doller is going an export program isn't making Holden and Toyota any money.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 10:29 PM   #71
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
With they way the doller is going an export program isn't making Holden and Toyota any money.
Correct, in fact from a couple of whispers im hearing it maybe costing them money...

Old 05-02-2008, 10:31 PM   #72
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Rear wheel drive for the 380 would probably have saved them....
even the all wheel drive system from the last magna sports / verada, it was a good system, great to drive.
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #73
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
thats what i thought.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 05-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #74
BLDNUT01

its a real shame i worked there for a few yrs from 1996 just after the launch of the TE Magna we were even still making the old wagon it was a great car i remember building around 300 cars a day now they're lucky to sell that in a month was a great bunch of people too
Old 05-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #75
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUXO_8
even the all wheel drive system from the last magna sports / verada, it was a good system, great to drive.
Large Front wheel drive vehicles will NEVER sell well in Australia. NEVER.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #76
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
agreed, which is why i said they should have had the ALL wheel drive system, which they were already using in the last magnas....i found it odd it wasnt included in the 380 lineup.

i know it was money pinching, but you've gotta spend money to make money, and they just didnt take the chance
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 10:40 PM   #77
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Did anyone get an email from Mitsubishi Motors about this?

I don't think I have ever had any email correspondence with Mitsubishi, but I got an email at around 5:30pm with (TEST) in the subject line before the subject "Important Announcement from Mitsubishi Motors‏"

Then this text within the email:

Quote:
Mitsubishi Motors - 47 years in Australia with many more to come.

Mitsubishi Motors is a well recognised and trusted brand in the Australian market. The outstanding performance of our broad-based imported vehicle line-up, which achieved 32 percent sales growth over the past twelve months, clearly indicates the strength of the brand. Our growing range of passenger and commercial vehicles makes heads turn ? not simply because of their style but also their safety, reliability and value.

Australia is a very important market for Mitsubishi Motors and we are committed to building on our many successes and increasing our market share. Becoming a long-term sponsor of the Australian Olympic Team is a strong symbol of that commitment as is our plan to strengthen our nationwide network of over 200 dealers selling and servicing Mitsubishi cars.

None of these commitments are affected by the decision announced this week that our Adelaide production facility, which manufactures only the large 380 sedan, will cease operations. That decision has been made because Australian consumers are moving towards smaller, more economic, and environmentally friendlier cars like those in the rest of the Mitsubishi range.

We would like to publicly express deep appreciation to our highly committed and loyal workforce and supplier family, who have given the 380 plant a proven track record of flexibility, cost efficiency and excellent quality control.

Closure of the 380 plant will directly affect 930 employees. The company has ensured that our employees will receive all entitlements along with very favourable separation packages in recognition of their contribution to the company. Mitsubishi Motors Australia will also be working closely with government agencies in the provision of comprehensive retraining, job seeking and other support services.

Looking ahead we have a comprehensive model range - Lancer, Colt, Grandis, Pajero, Outlander, Triton and Express Van with more new products to come, confirming our long-term presence and growth aspirations in the Australian car market.

Additionally, Mitsubishi customers will continue to enjoy the industry leading reassurance of the Diamond Advantage programme, which incorporates our 5/10 Warranty, five year Roadside Assist, 24/7 Customer Assistance Centre, genuine service and parts, and financing options, delivered through our extensive dealer network.

At Mitsubishi, we greatly value our customers and are proud of every vehicle that carries the Mitsubishi badge. These have been hallmarks of our 47 years in the Australian market, as they will be for our long and successful future here.

Yours faithfully,

Robert McEniry
President & CEO
Mitsubishi Motors Australia Ltd
Then got the same email again at 9:15pm, without the word TEST in the subject line....
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 10:42 PM   #78
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Camry sort of puts that theory to rest. In fact, it shoots it to pieces.

:
Old 05-02-2008, 10:43 PM   #79
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

i was talking to my missus tonight and talking bout the closure and i think the main problem that had with the market is the 380 was FWD, the aussie market for large cars is more in the RWD its what we all want, if say 380 was RWD and maybe came out with an 8 i think they may have still be here, but we will never know
i have heard this is some good mining oppotunity in SA at the moment lets hope that opens the door for all the workers at mitsi.

as for Camry and Toyota i think they sell more of the name as they are know to bluid there cars to last which is while they still have a good market

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 10:43 PM   #80
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Camry sort of puts that theory to rest. In fact, it shoots it to pieces.
rubbish... camry is a mid sized car with a large fleet fan base....

Old 05-02-2008, 10:45 PM   #81
TE50 027
Tickford Tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
I for one will never buy another Mitsubishi ever!!

I had a 2007 VRX Lancer, the paint was absolutely appalling, it was so painted so thin I reckon a falling leaf would have chipped it!!.....do a google on "Mitsubishi Paint Problems"

I only kept it a couple of months, got rid of it quick smart, went back to another Fiesta, at least it's painted!!

Feel very sorry for the people losing their jobs, they must have known it was coming though.
Same here. Got the Lancer wagon. Had 1st gear synchros replaced at 750km, front suspension nearly fell apart, has a shocking problem with air/fuel mixture causing the engine to cut out occasionally. Numerous other faults that my local dealer has said are quite common with the '07 CH Lancers. Mitsubishi Japan refuse to acknowlege the problems saying they're "a characteristic of the vehicle." I know they're not built here but just shows the lack of consideration Mitsubishi Japan give to Aussie customers. Sometimes wish I still had the '86 Meteor the Lancer replaced.

Hope all works out for the poor workers losing their jobs. I'm from down that way and have a few friends that work there.
Sparkling Burgundy T1 TE50 Build #027 - SOLD
TE50 027 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 10:47 PM   #82
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
rubbish... camry is a mid sized car with a large fleet fan base....
I don't know about you... but it seems big to me.

Over 4.8m long, seats 6'+ adults comfortably in the back etc etc.

I thought the mid-size tag belonged to the ~4.4-4.6m long stuff like the 3-Series BMWs... when did Camry shrink?

Its a large car. And it sells. With just as many fleet sales as the other big Aussies (80%+).

:
Old 05-02-2008, 10:52 PM   #83
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I thought the mid-size tag belonged to the ~4.4-4.6m long stuff like the 3-Series BMWs... when did Camry shrink?

Its a large car. And it sells. With just as many fleet sales as the other big Aussies (80%+).
IMO its still a mid sized vehicle either dimensionally or by perception.
Heard of the Aurion? ask TRD how well its selling against the HSV's and FPV's... privately they admitt they can't compete with using a FWD vehicle regardless of how well it does everything else...
The large australian car market has allways been the domain of RWD, its just the way it is, like a pie with sause or a cold beer.. its just the way it is.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:55 PM   #84
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:

*rubs eyes*

Ohmegosh, No toyota bashing!

ut your correct the Camry is quite large for a 'medium' car...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 05-02-2008, 11:02 PM   #85
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
IMO its still a mid sized vehicle either dimensionally or by perception.
Heard of the Aurion? ask TRD how well its selling against the HSV's and FPV's... privately they admitt they can't compete with using a FWD vehicle regardless of how well it does everything else...
The large australian car market has allways been the domain of RWD, its just the way it is, like a pie with sause or a cold beer.. its just the way it is.
It can't be dimensionally "mid-sized," its got more space in it then an E-Series Falcon.

I know the TRD Aurion is selling poorly... however, its the base model that makes or breaks any of the big 4... well, now 3, Aussie car makers.

:
Old 05-02-2008, 11:05 PM   #86
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Did anyone get an email from Mitsubishi Motors about this?

I don't think I have ever had any email correspondence with Mitsubishi, but I got an email at around 5:30pm with (TEST) in the subject line before the subject "Important Announcement from Mitsubishi Motors‏"

Then this text within the email:

Then got the same email again at 9:15pm, without the word TEST in the subject line....
yes i got that exact same email
Old 05-02-2008, 11:22 PM   #87
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Sorry to hear about MMAL, the employees and their families will no doubt be very hurt by this decision. I didn't mind the 380, I actually preferred driving it over a VE any day.

Quote: