Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #61
damoose

Default Re: where to start looking to buy a pet dog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfpv
I'm in the same boat too, we had to put our dog down recently after having him about 14 - 15 years due to health problems and we're looking to get a new one asap to fill the empty backyard.

Looking at either a Labrador retriever or a Golden retriever. Anyone have any experience with either of these breeds and the pros and cons of each if any? We will def be going through a breeder as we know a local vet who can put us on to a couple of people.
Pros
Affectionate
Good with Children
Good with other dogs
very Intelligent(easily trained)
Quiet (dont bark unless they really have to)

Cons
Careful Diet (A lab treats every meal likes it last)
Shed hair constantly and do need grooming every few days
Not very Brave( Dont buy a lab for a guard dog they would rather lick an intruder to death then bite them.
Behave like a pup until at least 2 years of age.

A Lab is a peoples dog they love nothing more than being with people
so you have to have time for them. A Lab that doesn,t get attention
becomes very destructive and withdrawn.
Their not one of Australia,s most popular breeds for nothing and
as Dr Harry says" Every Labrador deserves a child"
Old 14-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #62
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
A good breeder will also evaluate the people buying the dogs and may not sell you one.
Our breeder told us a story of a lady who came to look at a dog to buy with their kids. Kids were running amok, so the breeder didn't sell her a dog. If she can't control her kids, how could she control a dog?
This is 100% correct. MY mum has been showing/breeding Great Danes since circa 1978, she has no qualms about not selling a dog if she doesn't think the purchasers are going to take care of the dog.

She has on many occasions purchased the dog back or simply taken it back if she has found out the owners are not taking reasonable care of the dog too.

There are many other TRUE breeders who are like this as well
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #63
ChantelleM
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron
This is 100% correct. MY mum has been showing/breeding Great Danes since circa 1978, she has no qualms about not selling a dog if she doesn't think the purchasers are going to take care of the dog.
I am looking for a Great Dane breeder (in QLD), as I am in love with the breed. Got any tips on what I should look out for, to differentiate between dodgy and legitimate breeders?

Just a side note. ALWAYS buy from a registered and reputable breeder. Pet shops don't care about the welfare of their animals.
ChantelleM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #64
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Chantelle, it might be easier for me to PM you my mums website, you can contact her directly and she will help you, just tell her I pointed you in her directions.

She more than likely knows the better breeders in QLD.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #65
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChantelleM
I am looking for a Great Dane breeder (in QLD), as I am in love with the breed. Got any tips on what I should look out for, to differentiate between dodgy and legitimate breeders?

Just a side note. ALWAYS buy from a registered and reputable breeder. Pet shops don't care about the welfare of their animals.
I hope you find the right breed for you and most importantly, the right one for you! Kudos to you for sticking with registered and reputable breeders. Yeah!
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #66
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Just an update, we ending up buying a labradoodle.
Little puppy, very playful and friendly. Anyone have one of these?
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2012, 01:24 AM   #67
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

A labradoodle is not a breed just a Labrador x Poodle and backyard bred. Saying that, it is here on earth and deserves a good loving home. These started being bred by a man that was breeding for the Guide dogs and they had a woman with allergies that needed something not shedding and this is what they did. He has been well quoted as having said that he regrets starting the designer dog trend we see today.

Registered ANKC Breeders do have some rogues amongst the Membership (as most things in life) but generally are all about animal health and welfare. There are very few people that would employ kennel staff as most don't keep anywhere the dog numbers as Puppy Farms. Most are in areas where they have a permit for 4 - 8 dogs, tops. They also pay enormous sums for top stock from overseas and they get looked after better than many children.

There are lots of awful stories dramatized and never balanced by the majority of good ones. This is a trend in everything these days. ANKC Breeders have so many rules that are checked stringently and now the DPI have even stricter rules in place but this is mainly to curb. The Puppy Farms and have exemptions for ANKC members so they do recognize the serious breed enthusiast.

Most breeders/show kennels have a very small team and do not breed that often - just to replace show dogs. It is the 10% that always let the majority down. Bit like life.

Gaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #68
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Labradoodles are known to be hypoallergenic and don't shed as much so people with allergies who still want a dog as a pet turn to these "designer" breeds.

GT, you're right about breed. So far, Labradoodles aren't recognized as a breed by the AKC or other kennel clubs. Goldendoodles aren't recognized either.

But both are really cute, absolutely adorable and are good-natured. I know someone who has a Labradoodle.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #69
MarkAW

Just for the record - this fiction on hypo-allergenic breeds.

The majority of people who are allergic to dogs (me included) are allergic to the dander given off by shedding skin - not hair.

My last dog was an Airdale (lost her to the green dream only a fortnight ago so this is a bit rough to write) which like other "broken" coat breeds is reputed to be hypo-allergenic - not so.

If she wasn't bathed just right with the correct shampoo and fully rinsed then the dander (just dandruff in a human) comes back. You can see it when you brush her and my eyes would be gritty and bloodshot for weeks. The fact that breeds like poodles and Dales dont drop hair is good especially when they are house dogs but don't believe the hype about allergies - its just not true.
MarkAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #70
Miss_XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT

Most breeders/show kennels have a very small team and do not breed that often - just to replace show dogs. It is the 10% that always let the majority down. Bit like life.

Gaela
Your true on this I only breed my ***** (pedigree champion show dog) once a year or once every second she is amstaff
My dad has 2 bitches so has 2 litters a year again champion show/pedigree
We only sell to other show people and not people looking for a cute pet ect

We have strick guidelines to follow and there has only been 1 person I knew of that hasnt met these guildelines in the many years I have been breeding and showing
Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #71
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_XR6
Your true on this I only breed my ***** (pedigree champion show dog) once a year or once every second she is amstaff
My dad has 2 bitches so has 2 litters a year again champion show/pedigree
We only sell to other show people and not people looking for a cute pet ect

We have strick guidelines to follow and there has only been 1 person I knew of that hasnt met these guildelines in the many years I have been breeding and showing
See you at Sydney Royal next month, perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2012, 11:29 PM   #72
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try a farm if possible....the best mutts come from farms and make the best pets....usually free too
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #73
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT
Say hello to Sandy Foote (TREULIEBE - Schnauzers). She's our breeder and will be there. (And good luck to you too Gaela!)
Just picked our two up from her this afternoon after being clipped. They look like normal schnauzers again instead of shaggy!
Old 11-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #74
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT
A labradoodle is not a breed just a Labrador x Poodle and backyard bred. Saying that, it is here on earth and deserves a good loving home. These started being bred by a man that was breeding for the Guide dogs and they had a woman with allergies that needed something not shedding and this is what they did. He has been well quoted as having said that he regrets starting the designer dog trend we see today.

Registered ANKC Breeders do have some rogues amongst the Membership (as most things in life) but generally are all about animal health and welfare. There are very few people that would employ kennel staff as most don't keep anywhere the dog numbers as Puppy Farms. Most are in areas where they have a permit for 4 - 8 dogs, tops. They also pay enormous sums for top stock from overseas and they get looked after better than many children.

There are lots of awful stories dramatized and never balanced by the majority of good ones. This is a trend in everything these days. ANKC Breeders have so many rules that are checked stringently and now the DPI have even stricter rules in place but this is mainly to curb. The Puppy Farms and have exemptions for ANKC members so they do recognize the serious breed enthusiast.

Gaela
Nice informative post.

Absolutely love it. Very energetic which is great. Seems to have a MASSIVE appetite so that's something we'll need to watch.

So far it hasn't shed any hair that I've seen which is always a plus.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #75
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

people who show dogs that breed them as well will sell you a show dog that is not perfect for showing cheap as long as the dog is going to a good home eg my german shepard was free she would have lost point for her eyes being too light in colour me i cant see any difference(her value as a breeder $1,000) good deal for me she is the best looking smartest shepard i have ever owned
davenl5l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #76
Miss_XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT
Wont be showing this year the thing called WORK wouldnt let me have leave......

But I will be there some days to have a look
Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #77
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l
people who show dogs that breed them as well will sell you a show dog that is not perfect for showing cheap as long as the dog is going to a good home
Dunno about cheap. Our second furry legged kid wasn't cheap and she was a failed show dog.

Here's where we first saw here. She's the last one in the line. We had her 5 days later
http://youtu.be/ryrc59nQ9og