Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-01-2008, 11:15 PM   #61
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

One interesting tidbit after digging through the data.

In the first year of recorded data (1925) we had almost 25 fatalities for every 10,000 horseless carriages on the road. Our present rate is just under or slightly over 1.

We can consider 1500 annual deaths a tragedy (which it is) but if it hadn't been for all the improvements in the intervening 82 years and we still had the same rate then our annual total would be over 32,000.

At the 1950 rate of 11.6 per 10,000 vehicles we'd be at 16,000 per annum.
At the 1960 rate of 8.7 we'd have 12,853
At the 1970 rate of 8.0 we'd have 11,800
At the 1980 rate of 4.3 we'd have 6,351

Sobering thoughts.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 11:53 PM   #62
IH8HSV
XR6T 400kw(well one day!)

I was reading in the paper the other day that they trialed a campaign with adds on tv that expressed that those who speed had small di#ks.

They reckoned it worked because woman were waving there little finger at those blokes who passed them - obviously speeding.

This was in N.S.W. i think, and cause im in W.A. i would be interested if anyone knows anything about it.

For those in W.A. it was in the westaustralian 5/01/2008.

I reckon its quite a cleaver idea and think this WOULD actually help the road toll.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:58 PM   #63
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8HSV
I was reading in the paper the other day that they trialed a campaign with adds on tv that expressed that those who speed had small di#ks.

They reckoned it worked because woman were waving there little finger at those blokes who passed them - obviously speeding.

This was in N.S.W. i think, and cause im in W.A. i would be interested if anyone knows anything about it.

For those in W.A. it was in the westaustralian 5/01/2008.

I reckon its quite a cleaver idea and think this WOULD actually help the road toll.
Yes that is correct. These ads are running in N.S.W. & has been the source of some road rage incidents as well.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:09 AM   #64
IH8HSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIII XR8 MAN
Yes that is correct. These ads are running in N.S.W. & has been the source of some road rage incidents as well.
Have they really been running these ads!

Ild love to see exactly how they word it all.
How long have these ads been going for???
Old 10-01-2008, 12:27 AM   #65
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8HSV
How long have these ads been going for???
Im sure the male side of government would exaggerate the length of time theyve been running and how effective the campaign has been. Theyd probably say it really fast too.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 12:32 AM   #66
IH8HSV

I reckon its quite cleaver.

Does everyone think its a waste of time over east???
Old 10-01-2008, 10:57 AM   #67
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Big Brother speed control to be trialled
Wednesday Jan 9 05:58 AEDT
ninemsn

State governments are set to trial a device that can automatically slow a speeding car using satellite technology.

The Australasian Intelligent Speed Adaptation initiative could first be trialled in Victoria, The Herald Sun reported.

Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Christine Nixon, several Victorian ministers, a former Victorian coroner and 45 other participants would be the first to try the speed reduction system, the report said.

All state and territory governments and the New Zealand government have been in talks to introduce the system.

Other trials are planned this year in NSW and Western Australia, the report said.

The system would cost between $700 and $2,000 per vehicle and would first be fitted to fleet cars, the Herald Sun said.

The technology uses GPS and a database that identifies speed limits on all roads and operates on three levels.

Drivers get an audible warning they are over the limit at level one.

At level two, the device cuts power to the engine to prevent the driver from speeding, but the system can be adjusted or overridden.

At level three, the system cannot be switched off or adjusted and all speeding is cut.

The device could be fitted to repeat speeding offenders, or to all vehicles.

A spokeswoman for Roads Minister Tim Pallas would not confirm any trial, but Queensland Transport Minister John Mickel said his government was involved in the talks.

"Technology is evolving all the time with these things, and my view with road safety is to see what the latest technology is and see if we can improve safety.

Queensland Transport vehicle safety consultant Michael Paine said the system could cut the number of serious accidents by 20 per cent.

The Herald Sun quoted an unnamed Victorian government website, which estimated the number of fatalities could be cut by almost 60 per cent if it was fitted to all cars.
Not sure if a thread on this has been started but it makes interesting reading.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 11:14 AM   #68
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Not sure if a thread on this has been started but it makes interesting reading.

Yes it has .. http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11204868
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 11:21 AM   #69
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
Well lucky I didn't start its own thread then :P
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post