Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2006, 08:02 PM   #62
AFPGS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
For those that mock/question the T3.

Only 3 T3 TL50s were ever made..

(and I may be wrong on this; but wern't there only 500 T3 in total?)
Problem is trying to get 500 odd people interested in these cars with no real racing heritage and now with a new performance models that whip's it's a$$ in every aspect including the most important factor, the looks department. :
AFPGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2006, 09:37 PM   #63
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
For those that mock/question the T3.

Only 3 T3 TL50s were ever made..

(and I may be wrong on this; but wern't there only 500 T3 in total?)
TL was a limousine.... Also low production numbers means very little if it has no racing herritage.

Old 16-09-2006, 11:01 PM   #64
xbcool
dazed&confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagt_coupe
YOU Make the offers, not I..... : :

LOL :

beauty is only skin deep.
ugly goes all the way to the bone.
xbcool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 12:04 AM   #65
rushing on acid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb_351
unless it was that black bill bourke xw with the k code big block in it? the only genuine k code 4 door sedan in the world...
they may have mistaked it... not hard to do to the untrained eye...
750 is a bit steep... sos anything 1000% of the original price even...
imagine paying 500 odd grand for a f6 in 30 years time?
they wont be around or useable by then... theyll fall apart...

if my memory serves me correct it is actually an 'r'' code not a k code. r code fords had big blocks from factory
rushing on acid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 12:10 AM   #66
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Bills XW was nothing more than an XW GT. 1969 model fitted with a big block. The compliance plate clearly shows that it was originally fitted with the correct T code 351 wheezer motor. The car went O.S. to have the drive train organised (from memory this is). There is NO diffrent compliance codes, no markings what so ever to denote the diffrent motor it is not any diffrent (to original) specification apart from the running gear from when it was originally taken down the production line.

Old 17-09-2006, 12:17 AM   #67
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
its a lot of BS i reckon.................

I have seen in person a phase 3 that was written off, engine destroyed in the crash (block ripped apart) etc.

Car was rebuilt, amazingly with all numbers matching. I wonder how all these people with more money than sense would react if they knew that more than half of the p3's are mock ups and re builds of wrecked cars??

Christ, I even know of parts being made OS for them, and being passed off as n.o.s items.

I would pay 50k for a "phase 3", because as most people will be aware, its just an XY, and the seat you would be sitting in is more than likely the base out of a 500 or something, the dash is a re-pro, the rims are a copy, etc.

400k is a mighty big gamble...........................
I think anyone willing to pay big dollors for any classic gt insn't a fool.If you where to pay 400k for a reshelled phase3 then you certainly would be a fool,but how many fools would have 400k to spend on a car??

My point is that most,if not all,of these purchases of classic gt's are made by people who might want to own part of the muscle car era,but also want protect a large investment.There arn't any wooducks with 400k to spend on a car,if they are reshelled,reworked peices of crap they will be found out and sold at a realistic market value to the condition of the car.
Old 17-09-2006, 12:32 AM   #68
Donny

A good portion of the surviving Phase 3's are well known cars. Most have been in club members possessions, passed from one member to another. It is well known that a lot of H1,2 and 3 engines were replaced under warranty for what ever reasons. It's still no excuse to get caught with a junker. ANYONE who invests in ANY older Falcon GT and dosen't get the car checked out properly is making a huge mistake. Look at how some people are doing re-bodies, you need an x-ray machine to pick some of them. Protect your money, protect your investments, take an expert, if you still arent sure, take 2, either together, or seperatly.
I'v owned GT's on and off for 17 years, been around them since I was born, and am still learning heaps about them every day. I would take an expert to any GT I looked at buying. My car was visually inspected by the Historian (Mark) and another friend of his before I bought it, during the time I was looking (approx 8 months) I looked at no less than 3 XA GT Coupes that ended up being re-bodies.

BUYER BEWARE....There are sharks in the water, cause there is lots of profit to be made. If it's too good to be true, it most likely is....

Old 17-09-2006, 12:37 AM   #69
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To me a car is not an investment regardless of age, heritage all that crap etc.

But then again if someone has $400k to fork out on an old as car, I would be comfortable in believing they make quite a decent living and it's spare change. Either that or they have an enormous love of classics.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 12:52 AM   #70
Donny

Thats where most people will disagree. Some for the investment side of it, lots for heritage and all that crap (your words).
Me its for the pure fun of driving an animalistic steel machine, that if you dont respect it properly might turn around and bite you on your posteriour. These cars have a heart, they have soul, and most importantly character, and real racing heritage, somthing nearly all modern ricers lack.

Old 17-09-2006, 12:55 AM   #71
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Matter of opinion I spose. Each to their own. As long as you're happy it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 03:21 AM   #72
josephb
Starter Motor

Default josephb

JUST CURIOS.

Im just doing this for my dads sake.

my dad has an original XY GT HO and he has owned it since 1972 with all the books and papers.
It was an EX demo model that ford used to race on the track to show the public, so it has a racing harness fitted to the drivers seat. everything on that car is original even the clock works. and even a left hand mirror right down to the fuel cap.

except one thing he liked the 12 slotters.

anyways my dad was talking to one HO collector and told him what he has and pretty much everything about it. the guy replied "IF IT IS WHAT YOU SAY IT IS I WILL GIVE YOU $850.000 THE NEXT DAY." my dad said sorry its not for sale and the guy said good choice. "BUY THE END OF THE YEAR I WILL GIVE YOU A $1.000.000 FOR IT"

any ways what im asking is what do you guys think its worth.
heres a few pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG2149.JPG (129.2 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG2153.JPG (130.9 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG2163.JPG (96.5 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG2172.JPG (73.9 KB, 95 views)
josephb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 07:37 AM   #73
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Welcome to the forum Josephb, from those pics the GT looks to be in excellent condition, when it comes to XY HO's price is what ever the buyer wants to pay, fortunatley for the owner it's usually a ridiculous amount.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 07:49 AM   #74
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why the GT badges on the guards? (a la XW)
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 08:35 AM   #75
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could be a delete stripe car that's had stripes re fitted...

Old 08-03-2008, 09:58 AM   #76
GT-E

It is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Being the most desirable colour and in )apparently) good condition, will make it command a better price.
The only way to tell what it is worth is send it to auction, but personally I would take the $850k as I think the bubble has burst with collector cars in the current economy.
You may need to hold onto it for a few more years to see a million dollars.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:20 AM   #77
dave289
Banned

Looks very nice.I would concentrate more on your dad not selling it and hoping he leaves it to you one day.If it is as original as you say with books and all numbers and rust free in red you may get someone willing to pay $1m for it these days.It does seem like the prices have dropped off a bit lately but this could also be a reflection of the economy with higher interest rates ,house prices dropping and the share market in meltdown.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 10:57 AM   #78
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Prices will drop, it is inevitable as alot of people that have bought these things have secured loans with there houses and as interest rates rise I think they would rather keep the house, besides it woulld be a tight fit with the kids sleeping in the car as well.

Anyone who thinks they will go up is a fool in the current circumstances, sure there will be a few "wood ducks" still foating but most of these will be cashed up rather than having to take out a loan. We should see the prices dropping slowly over the coming year by at least 10-20% as some try to offload what will be a marriage breaker.

They will always hold a decent value but I would wait till the end of year if you want to pick up a bargain, all this is not to say they will not go up again as they definitely will once the economy gets another boost. If that is this year then they may not drop as much if at all depending on when a boost comes and how good it is.

Should interest rates go up a full 1% before the end of the year there will likely be a few "fire sales" and I think Shannons and the like are bracing themselves for this as many of the current owners won't want to lose on there oversized investments.

Personally I'd keep the car as an enthusiast myself, reffering to Jose's car, I mean you own it outright (your dad anyway) so it's not chewing a hole in your bank balance, they will get up higher during the next economic boom cycle and that might be a better time to sell, unless your family really needs the money then sell it.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 11:54 AM   #79
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The market has definately settled or levelled but it hasnt gone backwards.
There just isnt the hysteria or over inflated "sales rumours".
I dont know anyone who has borrowed money to buy a GTHO.... every owner that i know of (and i know a few) paid cash, and arent phased by interest rate nerves.
Anyone waiting for a bargain will be waiting for ever, because i don't know anyone who'd sell or need to sell for below their purchase price.
There are allot of owners who paid under 100K for their cars many years ago and may sell for less than some of the recent sales values, and still get over 500K, and their still making a massive amount over their buy price..
Does that mean prices have dropped? no, you can't judge every sale the same, every car is different, some attract a premium due to color, condition or options, its more complex than that.

Last edited by 4Vman; 08-03-2008 at 12:01 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #80
4VCLEVO
XA GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephb
JUST CURIOS.

Im just doing this for my dads sake.

my dad has an original XY GT HO and he has owned it since 1972 with all the books and papers.
It was an EX demo model that ford used to race on the track to show the public, so it has a racing harness fitted to the drivers seat. everything on that car is original even the clock works. and even a left hand mirror right down to the fuel cap.

except one thing he liked the 12 slotters.

anyways my dad was talking to one HO collector and told him what he has and pretty much everything about it. the guy replied "IF IT IS WHAT YOU SAY IT IS I WILL GIVE YOU $850.000 THE NEXT DAY." my dad said sorry its not for sale and the guy said good choice. "BUY THE END OF THE YEAR I WILL GIVE YOU A $1.000.000 FOR IT"

any ways what im asking is what do you guys think its worth.
heres a few pics.
If I were you I'd be telling him not to sell, it would be pritty good to have a HO handed down to you.
4VCLEVO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 03:20 PM   #81
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I dont know anyone who has borrowed money to buy a GTHO.... every owner that i know of (and i know a few) paid cash, and arent phased by interest rate nerves.
Anyone waiting for a bargain will be waiting for ever, because i don't know anyone who'd sell or need to sell for below their purchase price.
There are allot of owners who paid under 100K for their cars many years ago and may sell for less than some of the recent sales values, and still get over 500K, and their still making a massive amount over their buy price..
Does that mean prices have dropped? no, you can't judge every sale the same, every car is different, some attract a premium due to color, condition or options, its more complex than that.
I agree. I think people who are spending the big $$$ have it to spend. no loans required.
I think a lot of the cars that are hitting the auctions are not selling because the owners are expecting to much over market price for them . In the last shannons auctions 3 gt's made fantastic amounts but the owners wanted more. I think they put them there with the thoughts that if it makes a heap more than current market then its sold . if not its back to the shed with it.
this attitude has caused negative results and people are scared to spend the bigger amounts.
FTGAutosalvage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #82
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTGAutosalvage
I agree. I think people who are spending the big $$$ have it to spend. no loans required.
I think a lot of the cars that are hitting the auctions are not selling because the owners are expecting to much over market price for them . In the last shannons auctions 3 gt's made fantastic amounts but the owners wanted more. I think they put them there with the thoughts that if it makes a heap more than current market then its sold . if not its back to the shed with it.
this attitude has caused negative results and people are scared to spend the bigger amounts.
Yep, ive seen about 5 GT's and HO's pass in recently at above what i think is good market value.. so people are getting too greedy. The auction premium alone might be what's holding back the sales...
When the "rush" happened 12 months ago people started to think twice about owning a Classic V "cashing in", then the usual resellers got involved buying tired cars, tarting them up and asking concourse prices for them, so we had a glut of cars (allot with questionable pedigree) suddenly hit the market at un realistic prices.
Good cars do sell, and for good money, its one thing to ask, but i think its unrealistic to expect top dollar for cars that are far from that condition.... so for that reason alone its difficult to guage what "market value" is for any given model because there are too many variables that will influence price drastically.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #83
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

In fairness as long as the owner is happy with a price and the seller is happy with the price, that is all that matter's, not what someone think's a certain vehicle is and should be worth bassed on what similar vehicle's have sold for.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 04:39 PM   #84
Conrad
Banned

that is one farking hot XY.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 04:55 PM   #85
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

Quote:
agree with these comments, i doubt that their are people out their that own one of these rare machines and have a loan on a house XRQTR, makes no sense really, might aswell say that their are mercedes mclaren slr owners that live in a tent in Wolcania.
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #86
nb_351
building the xe...

or he could have put the badges on himself... only the owner knows... he might have asked for it to be like that when he picked it up...
and joseph, are you going to be given this as a hand me down? like some of us get valuables etc, that would be pretty good as far as handmedowns go...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 01:15 AM   #87
AusM
AusMotorsport

Recent auctions in Sydney & Brisbane of possibly similar cars were passed in, with owners not getting the $600k+ they wanted. This one being one-owner and very original would have to work in its favour, but who knows if there's another buyer out there at those prices?
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 01:44 AM   #88
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAxtER
agree with these comments, i doubt that their are people out their that own one of these rare machines and have a loan on a house XRQTR, makes no sense really, might aswell say that their are mercedes mclaren slr owners that live in a tent in Wolcania.
Probably just up the road, most people owning these kinds of cars rarely actually own them as it doesn't make any sense seeing as they rarely keep them longer than is necessary for tax purposes.

Quote:

You know a few but not all obviously, many people have bought these cars simply and purely as an investment, sure some with there own money but again others with borrowed money looking at a quick return on there investments. Those that got in early made a healthy return, those that got in towards the tail end are still hoping for them to go even higher these are the ones that I'm talking about.

It really looks to me as though you are all assuming that every purchase has been made because the buyer is an enthusiast, in the early stages yes but once the prices went skyward then anyone wanting to make easy moeny hopped on.

Speaking to a friend just last week, he told me the guy he bought his off 2 years ago for $40+K just offered him a little under $200K recently, do you really think this guy is wanting to buy it back because he's an enthusiast. Most likely he thought he was making a good dollar on it then but has since obviously realised his mistake and is among those that are willing to spend up big, mind you this car is still unrestored but when you see it a tidy up would make it presentable. His obviously isn't a HO though but you get my point.

Like I said you all seem to be going under the assumption that all buyers are enthusiasts.

Last edited by XRQTR; 09-03-2008 at 01:50 AM.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 06:44 AM   #89
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When the stock market crashes (as it has recently) investors turn to other areas such as classic cars etc.,to park their money, so although HO's are at a silly level at the moment, I don't think they will come down in price.

I am currently looking at late 60's Shelby 500 KR's and KK's in the States and they are climbing rapidly since the stock market crashed. Still good value though at a quarter to a third of the price you have to pay for a HO.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 11:12 AM   #90
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The bloke in Emerald who bought that track red (?) orange stripe car from the Shannon's auction for $680K got a loan, bought it as an investment. Hoped to get 1M within a year.

I doubt that car will even crack $500K now. Those that inspected it tell me it has mostly repro parts on it, not to mention the 20,000 miles that disappeared off the odometer.

I'm sure there are plenty more that got loans IF they bought as an investment. All investors that I know NEVER use their own money, it's a golden rule of investing.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post