Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #61
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Default Re: Revenue Raising at its best

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
Perhaps its make people think anytime/anywhere, not just for a few metres when they go past a camera.

Could be to beat the cretons that flash people coming the other way, they have flashed you, you slow down, go past the camera, phew, then speed up again.....gotcha!
Nope, its because they're upgrading the old film red light camera's to digital. And the digital camera's have the capability to record speed as well.

They've also upgraded the camera in the intersection next to the Newcastle Football Stadium (two digital camera's) and have put in another one at the intersection of Stewart Ave (old HWY) and Parry Street. Those are just the ones i've noticed.

They can be recognised because the sign says "Safety Camera Ahead" instead of "Red Light Camera Ahead".
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2011, 03:55 PM   #62
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Newcastle has never had a 'safety' camera before. But then the government has realized they are missing out on millions of dollars in revenue, so in the past 2 weeks Newcastle has gone from 0 'safety' cameras to about 6. There is nothing safe about them.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #63
Haxor

Don't speed = No fine... I can't believe how such a simple notion escapes some people...
Haxor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #64
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haxor
Don't speed = No fine... I can't believe how such a simple notion escapes some people...
it seems a lot of people aren't able to maintain a constant speed without cheking their speedo every 5 seconds. its really a failure of the licence requirements. if part of the test was being able to demonstrate you can hold a constant speed for say 1km we'd have a lot less people getting caught by speed cameras.
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #65
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
Easy problem to speed cameras is, do not speed and you will not pay the fine, as others have said. If no one got caught speeding by a camera then the government would not need the cameras. IMO even if the camera has caused 1 person to slow down and saved that persons life, the camera has worked.

End of the day even doing 1 k over the speed limit is still breaking the law, and if you do the crime you do the crime. I do not feel sorry for people who get booked by cameras even if they are only over by a few. Before anyone says anything, yes my driving record is not the best, but I do support the cameras.

The picture is funny. The cops in the first pic look like tehy have no idea what is going on. Funny how it takes a few of them for some small thing.
Just because something is a law does not make it automatically right, just or fair and people who just accept laws as absolute are the greatest threat to modern civilization.

If we did not question laws then Australia would still have slavery, Aboriginies would be target practice, women would still be second class citizens and sex outside marriage would draw the death penalty.
But then again you would be able to "personally attend to" public servants and academics who annoyed you without any fear of legal retribution.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2011, 09:12 PM   #66
sudszy
Banned

current viewing on quantum, the problem of speed and road kill, just for interest.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #67
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Just because something is a law does not make it automatically right, just or fair and people who just accept laws as absolute are the greatest threat to modern civilization.

If we did not question laws then Australia would still have slavery, Aboriginies would be target practice, women would still be second class citizens and sex outside marriage would draw the death penalty.
But then again you would be able to "personally attend to" public servants and academics who annoyed you without any fear of legal retribution.....
Flappist saving Australian motorists from oppression and misery, we could even get a holiday named after you, here's an adaption of another human rights crusader that you could use:

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: “We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men should travel at whatever speed they think is fit for the condtions.” I have a dream that one day on the red hills of the pilbara the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slaveowners will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood and wax lyrical about how fast we went today . I have a dream that one day even the state of Western Australia a desert state, sweltering with the heat of injustice and oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of open speed and burnouts. I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the speed of their car but by the content of their character...
Old 21-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #68
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
current viewing on quantum, the problem of speed and road kill, just for interest.
I killed an animal the other night doing 20kmh below the speed limit of 50kmh. True story.

Just proves going slow doesn't mean you will be safe.
Old 21-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #69
dylancox

Quote:
Flappist saving Australian motorists from oppression and misery, we could even get a holiday named after you, here's an adaption of another human rights crusader that you could use:

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: “We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men should travel at whatever speed they think is fit for the condtions.” I have a dream that one day on the red hills of the pilbara the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slaveowners will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood and wax lyrical about how fast we went today . I have a dream that one day even the state of Western Australia a desert state, sweltering with the heat of injustice and oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of open speed and burnouts. I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the speed of their car but by the content of their character...
I'm starting to think Harold Scruby has joined AFF under the name of sudzy.
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2011, 10:53 PM   #70
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even the name is similar.
Scruby, Sudszy.
Old 21-04-2011, 11:37 PM   #71
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:

no. People who accept laws are DOING THE RIGHT THING. Anarchist much? Comparing the laws of speed cameras to your examples is like apples and oranges. Does it bother you so much to stick to the speed limit?
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2011, 12:17 AM   #72
dylancox

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2monty
no. People who accept laws are DOING THE RIGHT THING. Anarchist much? Comparing the laws of speed cameras to your examples is like apples and oranges. Does it bother you so much to stick to the speed limit?
IMHO speed limits are valid in suburban and inhabited areas and are there for obvious reasons. But in 30 years of driving I fail to see the point of 110 km/h limits in the middle of nowhere. For extended periods of time, this is a coma inducing speed. How do truckies do it, anyone??
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2011, 12:41 AM   #73
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haxor
Quote:
..Does it bother you so much to stick to the speed limit?
Would those of you who advocate the notion of "Don't speed = no fine" etc. like to let all those honest and upstanding citizens who weren't speeding on the Western Ring Road yet got a fine, then had their fine refunded after our Govco were told that the cameras were actually faulty and had their fines refunded, how lucky they really are?

Or all of those several hundred, maybe even thousands, that have all "magically" been pinged at precisely 108km/h on Eastlink when they have all stated they were doing the limit of 100km/h.
This on a road that had "safety cameras" installed even before the road was officially opened, going against their own policy of placing them in known blackspots only..........

Safety my foot!!!!!........
Old 22-04-2011, 01:01 AM   #74
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
I killed an animal the other night doing 20kmh below the speed limit of 50kmh. True story.

Just proves going slow doesn't mean you will be safe.
It might also prove that you are unsafe at any speed
Old 22-04-2011, 01:25 AM   #75
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4
Would those of you who advocate the notion of "Don't speed = no fine" etc. like to let all those honest and upstanding citizens who weren't speeding on the Western Ring Road yet got a fine, then had their fine refunded after our Govco were told that the cameras were actually faulty and had their fines refunded, how lucky they really are?

Or all of those several hundred, maybe even thousands, that have all "magically" been pinged at precisely 108km/h on Eastlink when they have all stated they were doing the limit of 100km/h.
This on a road that had "safety cameras" installed even before the road was officially opened, going against their own policy of placing them in known blackspots only..........

Safety my foot!!!!!........
I never said it was about safety. Read my posts. I know it's revenue raising. So what? I make a decision not to contribute by not speeding. Did they get their money back if fined incorrectly? I've yet to talk to anyone here in SA that was fined when they were adament that they were doing the speed limit. So by your logic, we should let all crooks go because the courts occasionally get it wrong.
Old 22-04-2011, 02:16 AM   #76
ray38l

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
I'm starting to think Harold Scruby has joined AFF under the name of sudzy.
i just googled " Harold scruby wiki" and the first one found was "******-wikipedia" lol it seems Google knows the truth about him.
I don't know if it will work for everyone because my internet always shows overseas search results first instead of local searches
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2011, 02:24 AM   #77
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
I never said it was about safety. Read my posts. I know it's revenue raising. So what? I make a decision not to contribute by not speeding. Did they get their money back if fined incorrectly? I've yet to talk to anyone here in SA that was fined when they were adament that they were doing the speed limit. So by your logic, we should let all crooks go because the courts occasionally get it wrong.
Read my post too!!
It's not the courts that have got it wrong.
These people weren't speeding, just like you don't, yet they still got fined.
It wasn't until enough people took a stand and said they weren't doing what these so called 'safety cameras" told them they were doing, that they finally admitted that the cameras wre faulty and refunded the fines. Meanwhile there was stories of motorists who had lost their jobs due to loosing their licences, when in fact they hadn't done anything wrong at all!!!

Fair..........I think not

Would you just cop that on the chin?
Old 22-04-2011, 02:50 AM   #78
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4
Read my post too!!
It's not the courts that have got it wrong.
These people weren't speeding, just like you don't, yet they still got fined.
It wasn't until enough people took a stand and said they weren't doing what these so called 'safety cameras" told them they were doing, that they finally admitted that the cameras wre faulty and refunded the fines. Meanwhile there was stories of motorists who had lost their jobs due to loosing their licences, when in fact they hadn't done anything wrong at all!!!

Fair..........I think not

Would you just cop that on the chin?
No I wouldn't cop it on the chin. I would take steps to rectify the situation. Doesn't mean that there shouldn't be any cameras because a couple didn't work.
Old 22-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #79
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
No I wouldn't cop it on the chin. I would take steps to rectify the situation. Doesn't mean that there shouldn't be any cameras because a couple didn't work.
What it does mean is; Don't speed, don't get fined is bollocks.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #80
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It might also prove that you are unsafe at any speed
And I could be heading towards you next time you go driving.

Seriously I am an unsafe driver because an animal ran about 5 metres in front of my car at night? Lol you have no idea about much. How can you tell people how they should drive when you prove you don't know much about driving yourself.
Old 22-04-2011, 11:07 AM   #81
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
So you would prefer someone to look at their speedo every 5 seconds to stay under the limit. Or have them watching the road constantly and slip up to 5 over the limit every now and then.

I know I would prefer the person doing 5 over behind me then they person looking at their speedo every few seconds.

No point obeying the speed limit in an attempt to avoid accidents then not even see the person step out in front of you and hit them at 59 because you were to busy looking down at your speedo.
I think we've been here before - if you have time to look in your rear views, you have time to look at your speedo. It's really not that hard, and if it is, well...you know what I think.

As some of the guys have said, yes, it's revenue raising - those who speed are supporting it, those who don't speed, really have nothing to worry about. The government aren't hoodwinking anyone, most people know that they are revenue raisers.

The same thing is said every time something like this comes up, it's like a broken record, round and round and round. The same few make the same poor reasoning, which has already been covered, start their character assassinations of those who disagree with them, and the thread gets locked. Am I missing a step here?

If there weren't idiots in the world - you would all be taxed to death...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #82
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
If there weren't idiots in the world - you would all be taxed to death...
No actually if there weren't idiots in the world we would not have the grossly incompetent government and public service bureaucrats wasting all our money and things would always get done in a reasonably short amount of time.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2011, 04:03 AM   #83
kpcart
Banned

Revenue raising, NO. Voluntary tax, YES. dont speed and you wont pay any fines, simple logic.
Perth has just adapted speed cameras at traffic lights, where it catches you going through red lights and also speeding through red lights. A bogan called in to a 6PR radio station question and answer radio show and asked "is there any signage so we know the camera is there? as it is obviously revenue raising", and the radio host shut him up with this answer, "Yes there is, theres a pole with 3 lights on it, Red, Orange and Green"
Volunatry tax, dont speed, and dont pay it. I would rather the government make money this way, through catching idiots speeding and not obeying road rules then taxing us some other way.
We all signed an agreement when we got our licence that we will obey road rules. I have not sped since 2004 after i was sick of getting speeding fines, and guess what, i havent had a speeding fine since! if you cant control the throttle of your car and keep it driving at a constant speed within the speed limits then get off the road, until then im happy for the government to take money from IDIOTS.
kpcart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #84
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcart
Revenue raising, NO. Voluntary tax, YES. dont speed and you wont pay any fines, simple logic.
Perth has just adapted speed cameras at traffic lights, where it catches you going through red lights and also speeding through red lights. A bogan called in to a 6PR radio station question and answer radio show and asked "is there any signage so we know the camera is there? as it is obviously revenue raising", and the radio host shut him up with this answer, "Yes there is, theres a pole with 3 lights on it, Red, Orange and Green"
Volunatry tax, dont speed, and dont pay it. I would rather the government make money this way, through catching idiots speeding and not obeying road rules then taxing us some other way.
We all signed an agreement when we got our licence that we will obey road rules. I have not sped since 2004 after i was sick of getting speeding fines, and guess what, i havent had a speeding fine since! if you cant control the throttle of your car and keep it driving at a constant speed within the speed limits then get off the road, until then im happy for the government to take money from IDIOTS.

This.

It's simple really.
Old 28-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #85
prydey
Rob

anyone who says they don't speed is a liar. a large % of motorists do actually try to stay below the limit but the fact is there will always be times when they slip over by 1 or 2km/h. if this happens where a camera happens to be, there is a good chance you will be nabbed.

i have no issue with camera's but the tolerance should be upward of at least 5km/h.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #86
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not just slipped to 1 or 2 over. I have done 10 over before and not realized.
Old 28-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #87
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

I'm amazed your not in the morgue with that kinda recklessness!!
Old 28-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #88
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcart
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said, years ago I got plenty of speeding fines, as I used to speed all the time, got a warning letter send to my house by the RTA saying if you get another fine your license will be suspended.

Since I need my license for work, and will not have a job if I lose my license, and I have two kids to feed and a mortgage to pay, I made a conscious decision to not speed any more. Have not had a single speeding ticket since (about six years), even wave to the boys in blue when they have one of their radar traps set up in one of the usual spots on my way to work.

By the way I also 100% support a zero alcohol limit for ALL drivers, if you are going to drive a car, there is no need to drink, full stop

Quote:
No actually if there weren't idiots in the world we would not have the grossly incompetent government and public service bureaucrats wasting all our money and things would always get done in a reasonably short amount of time.
I am so surprise you are not running our country, you seem to have all the answers, and seem to know more than all our politicians and law makers put together.........NOT.......(for explanation of NOT jokes watch Borat )
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2011, 08:37 AM   #89
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Left yourself a bit open there Ben.

Given that you have described having limited awareness of how fast you are really going then there are 4 possible options:

check the speedo occasionally(yes we have heard how you are going to crash and burn if your eyes leave the roadway for less than half a sec)

enable your speed alert device(yes we have heard how irritating you think they are)

travel at a speed where if you do start going 10km/h faster then you are still within the speed limit.

hand in your licence.

Option 5: every Ben,man and his dog deciding they dont need to contemplate any of the above....no thanks.
Old 29-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #90
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Left yourself a bit open there Ben.

Given that you have described having limited awareness of how fast you are really going then there are 4 possible options:

check the speedo occasionally(yes we have heard how you are going to crash and burn if your eyes leave the roadway for less than half a sec)

enable your speed alert device(yes we have heard how irritating you think they are)

travel at a speed where if you do start going 10km/h faster then you are still within the speed limit.

hand in your licence.

its a sad day when i almost agree with you sudszy

a competent driver should be able to periodically check their speed and maintain a certain speed in their vehicle without taking too much attention away from the road. the only thing i will say, is the paranoia(sp) created by the govt regarding speed has had an effect with creating drivers who focus far too heavily on trying to stay below or at the magical number on the sign.

speed alert devices can't really be used for all speed zones, as our intelligent govt's have decided its a fantastic idea to change the zone, even on the same road, every few km's. still not really an excuse for speeding.

as for travelling 10km/h below the limit 'just in case' you may speed. this is one of the biggest issues with traffic flow. you have these kinds of people who live in fear of fines and think they are much safer because they drive slower, and you have the other extreme where drivers still think they can disregard the speed limit (personal views on safe speed don't override the speed sign) and travel 10,15 or 20km/h faster. suddenly you have a large speed discrepancy between motorists on the same stretch of road.

this is why i'm against the low tolerances for camera's. people shouldn't be scared to just drive along with the flow of traffic even if that means going over by a couple of km's every now and then. it creates far less issues than a rolling road block/mobile chicane.

people who intentionally speed and push the limits will do so regardless of what laws the govt bring in, so its always those who 9 times out of 10 are trying to do the right thing.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post