Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #61
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
126 IS a bit excessive in a 100 zone.......
Is 126 excessive because it's a dangerous speed or because it's 26 over the limit??

Seeing how our fearless leaders tell us that speeding fines are all about improving "road safety", 126 MUST be dangerous enough for a massive fine and a month on the buses - right??

And yet in the NT, on the open road, 126 isn't even AT the speed limit.

Why.

Why is it more dangerous to do 126 in Victoria, not quite as dangerous in South Australia and not dangerous at all in the NT?

To put it in perspective, if it's dangerous because it's 26 over the limit, then the equivalent "danger" doesn't kick in in SA till 136, and in the NT till 156.

I know who has better roads and freeways out of those 3 jurisdictions and it's NOT the NT!!!

But then, for the average driver, it's easier to exceed 100kmh that to exceed 130kmh. And so it's easier for the government to revenue raise in the name of "road safety", and to pull up statistics that support that view, and ignore ones that don't.

Well here's some stats.....Make of them what you will.

NT Road Toll
2005 - 55
2006 - 44
2007 - 46 (Highway speed limit reduced to 130kmh)
2007 - 57
2008 - 75
2009 - 31
2010 - 46 (so far)

Oh - and coming back to the subject topic - I bother with a fast car because I can. And as someone said, the occasional squirt up to the speed limit makes it all worthwhile.

But then, I don't live in Victoria.

Strangers have the best candy.......
sarrge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #62
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if speed kills on our roads every emergency vehicle that has exceeded the speedlimit should instantly explode destroying the vehicle its occupants and a dozen cute baby fur seals for good measure... IMHO sometimes there is good reason to exceed the speedlimit briefly. to the OP if he was directly behind the horse float and you behind the OP and he snuck past the car/float leaving you stuck behind it at 80kmh for the next 50kms before the next overtake lane I bet you would be pi$$ed right off along with the 30 other cars behind you...

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 01:41 PM   #63
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Horse floats,grey nomads ,over loaded trailers,yep ban the lot !!!

Maybe if the vehicle in tow had the power to pull the towing wieght at the correct road speeds then half the issues would be resolved ???
Would this be correct ???
I heard a rumor (true or not)
There is a whisper that they are goin to crack down on vehicles pulling more than there correct towing capabilities
If this is correct ,its about time

Without sending this of topic
Ill now get back to the
"Mates caught speeding and he dont like it "thread
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #64
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT
Now, there is one overtaking lane on that stretch of road. So naturally, all cars hit the overtaking lane and try and get past the float. Out of courtesy all cars try and get past to allow the cars behind to also pass in the limited stretch.
Is a bit unreal on those long holiday trips with boats, caravans, trailers with a row of traffic sitting behind that grey nomad and sighting that ominous count down ....... 'Overtaking lane 1km Ahead'. You can feel the pressure as everyone prepares them selves for the Right Hand Lane onslaught hoping that you can make it as you have 5 cars in front and another 15 behind all with the one intention ...... getting in front of the towed Viscount you had been sitting behind for the past hour.

The lane splits into 2 ...... the first 4 cars in front make the move but the 5th sits there too worried to move ..... you look in the mirror and see everyone else starting to make the move so you decide to boot it hoping the bloke in front who has no idea what to do doesn't pull out, thankfully he just sits there ......... 1 of the 4 cars in front making the move struggles to make the incline and can only do 102 k's max trying to pass someone doing 95k's and suddenly the 'Merge 500m" sign appears. You look behind ... theres 15 cars .... then in front .... judge the distance before the lane disappears ....... sitting up his bum with a trail of cars doing the same behind ......

Now with the 500 metre warning well and truly past, 100% of the traffic now in the Overtaking lane who have decided that they gave it there best have the mad rush to go back single file and sort themselves out ..... the bloke behind though isn't giving up and is up your bum with about 80 metres to go, the bloke in front doing 103 looks like he is going to make it, everyone else behind is pushing back into some sort of order ready for the next chance in another 20 minutes or so ....... but mean while the bloke who just made it in front of the Viscount decides that's way too much excitement for the day and slows to 90kph leaving you sandwiched between him and the bloke towing the Viscount who is now sitting on your bum ....... love driving in the holidays.

And there are accidents?

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 07-12-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 02:01 PM   #65
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Is a bit unreal on those long holiday trips with boats, caravans, trailers with a row of traffic sitting behind that grey nomad and sighting that ominous count down ....... 'Overtaking lane 1km Ahead'. You can feel the pressure as everyone prepares them selves for the Right Hand Lane onslaught hoping that you can make it as you have 5 cars in front and another 15 behind all with the one intention ...... getting in front of the towed Viscount you had been sitting behind for the past hour.

The lane splits into 2 ...... the first 4 cars in front make the move but the 5th sits there too worried to move ..... you look in the mirror and see everyone else starting to make the move so you decide to boot it hoping the bloke in front who has no idea what to do doesn't pull out, thankfully he just sits there ......... 1 of the 4 cars in front making the move struggles to make the incline and can only do 102 k's max trying to pass someone doing 95k's and suddenly the 'Merge 500m" sign appears. You look behind ... theres 15 cars .... then in front .... judge the distance before the lane disappears ....... sitting up his bum with a trail of cars doing the same behind ......

Now with the 500 metre warning well and truly past, 100% of the traffic now in the Overtaking lane who have decided that they gave it there best have the mad rush to go back single file and sort themselves out ..... the bloke behind though isn't giving up and is up your bum with about 80 metres to go, the bloke in front doing 103 looks like he is going to make it, everyone else behind is pushing back into some sort of order ready for the next chance in another 20 minutes or so ....... but mean while the bloke who just made it in front of the Viscount decides that's way too much excitement for the day and slows to 90kph leaving you sandwiched between him and the bloke towing the Viscount who is now sitting on your bum ....... love driving in the holidays.

And there are accidents?
Ha ha nice.

They key is the just take a chill pill and relax - you can overtake like mad but you won't get there any faster. There's always more slow traffic or a servo stop that's gonna hold you up anyway.

I bet you over a 3 hour drive if you drove like a loon, you'd only get there a few minutes ahead of a sensible driver...
Grobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 02:01 PM   #66
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

And there are accidents?

I would like it if there was a +20 when overtaking rule. You would legally be allowed to go above the posted speed limit by 20kmh when in an overtaking lane, or in an oncoming lane.

I see way too many people who creep past trucks at 112kmh in an oncoming lane worried about getting a ticket. Its stupid, selfish and ridiculous behaviour.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 02:05 PM   #67
fmc351
let it burn

While the above scenario is very annoying and all too common, caravan holidays are an Aussie right of passage.

I love the way people cry when someone wants to ban their pastime, but are quite happy to ban someone elses. Not saying the above post went that far.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #68
sleek7

Why bother with a fast car in Vic?
Because I can still squirt it to 80 or 100 and have not broken any laws.
I love the presence of my car on the road.
And because its hell amusing giving it a bit of boot when the GF goes to change the radio station/CD track/temperature and she get thrown back into the seat and then struggles to reach forward against the acceleration
sleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 02:28 PM   #69
LTDHO
The one and only

I see Grobbo's point. In fact this is why I stopped chasing KW's. What's the point?

Why can I go out and buy a FPV with a speedo and capability of well over 200 when a majority will never do it legally. Being the speed dial is 270* would it not make more sense to spread 0-120 over that space and not 0-240?

Also new cars (with the use of cruise control) can easily creep from 100 to 120+
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #70
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Reading this thread indicates why the government keep putting in more cameras... I didn't realise so many here were so brain washed.

Nothing annoys me more then highway driving and a car that goes the speed limit, then slows down, speed limit, slows etc.. I also get very frustrated with drivers who pull out to overtake and then sit 2km/h more then the other driver and use the whole friggin overtaking lane to overtake, meaning no one else can. Whilst this behaviour shouldn't create a hostile reaction from the person behind, it quite often does. Sure, we can all play nice and be patient, but lets be honest, it's very annoying.

It's very easy in a modern car to go from 90km/k to 130-140km/h. Sure, it might be 30-40km/h over the limit, but it's for a few seconds max. Or, we could try and over take at the speed limit and sit side by side until one of us is playing chicken with an on-coming car.

Sometimes you only get one chance in a long wait to overtake a car on a twisty road, so if i have a straight section and good vision, i'll hit 130 if that's what it takes.

On a side note, those Victorian penalties are pretty harsh!! Hopefully the NSW/ACT don't follow in those foot steps. I often sit on about 120-130km/h when driving between canberra and sydney, and more often then not the HWY patrol cars simply give a wave to indicate to slow down. Glad i'm not in Vic, i'd probably be walking by now... It makes me sound like a hoon, but in reality, i've had 2 speeding fines in almost 12 years of driving, the last of which was 6 years ago...

It's been said before, it's all about the revenue! BUT, it's obviously starting to brainwash a few!
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #71
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyxr6t04
Reading this thread indicates why the government keep putting in more cameras... I didn't realise so many here were so brain washed.

On a side note, those Victorian penalties are pretty harsh!! Hopefully the NSW/ACT don't follow in those foot steps.

It's been said before, it's all about the revenue! BUT, it's obviously starting to brainwash a few!
Many people are brain washed, it's scary because that means the governments is going to put in more cameras more easily and they will be accepted by most people.

NSW is heading the way of Vic. Apparently there is going to be 40 new mobile speed cameras in NSW over the next few years.. probably because they are making so much money off the 6 they have had for the past few months.. imagine what 5 times more cameras will bring in. And everyone will accept it because no one will stand up for it because most people are brain washed.

Few months ago I was driving a guy at work at about 9pm, we were passing though a road work zone that was reduced from 100 down to 80........ absolutely no roadwork was going on and the road was still safe for 100.

There was a police car which had pulled over a late model Triton which had Red P's on it. It was not going much over the 80 roadwork limit... probably 90 or so.

The guy in my passenger seat started cheering when he saw the p plates and was laughing at the guy and he said to me.
"I'm glad they got that P plater, young guys need to learn that it's not ok to speed. I did some stupid things when I was young but these days people need to stop it and know that it's dangerous" well it was something like that.

I wanted to stop the car and kick this guy out on the side of the road in the middle of no where and leave him for being such a hypocritical ****wit.
I guess he is now brainwashed with all this stuff that as soon as you speed you will kill everyone around you.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 03:36 PM   #72
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont think noone is trying to destroy past times
Everyone is entitled to use the road,thats why we pay rego for
In QLD V8 rego is dearer than a 6 , but does that give a V8 owner more road rites than the 6 owner ???
Truck rego is dearer again,plus all the associated costs
Not sure when was the last time i seen a sedan /wagon or 1 tonne ute try dragging 20/30/40 tonne up hills

Remember years ago,people bought the correct towing rig for pulling large vans
Seems on paper alot of 4 cylinders have lotsa power but go whack that in a 3 tonne 4x4 and power on paper doessnt mean anything
20-30-40 years ago,many drove stocko 186/202 holdens with 3 speed boxes,how frustrating would they have been trying to overtake large vans at speed
We as the car community can scream whats right or whats wrong,but we all know
Its revenue raising first and foremost
Cars nowadays are way ahead of what they were years ago
So why cant there be some form of leaniantcy towards increasing speeds in certain areas
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #73
David222
Starting out with the V8

Quote:

And there are accidents?
That description is just about perfect, except for 1 all too common occurrence for the Horse float, Caravan, or other form of mobile chicane to discover they have an extra two cylinders under the bonnet 100 yards before the overtaking lane starts than they had for the last half an hour and all of a sudden they manage to meet or slightly exceed the posted limit up a hill when they couldn't get within 20km of it for the last half hour even downhill when there was no overtaking lane present. Miraculously this newfound burst of power and speed immediately dissipates come the end of the overtaking lane, even if it's down the other side of the hill they managed to attain the speed limit up.

While they will not get a fine for doing this the frustration it causes 30 cars they are holding up, is if nothing else worse than highly inconsiderate, it's antagonistic and the fact that it may influence the other drivers to attempt to pass in other less safe places, warrants some consideration. But then if the driver of the offending mobile chicane had any consideration or courtesy they would get out of the throttle in that overtaking area and let the 30 cars pass and the world would be a safer place. No thanks to constable kodak but just by adding little courtesy to the attitude of 1 driver.
His: 2015 FGX XR8 Kinetic
David222 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #74
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by David222
That description is just about perfect, except for 1 all too common occurrence for the Horse float, Caravan, or other form of mobile chicane to discover they have an extra two cylinders under the bonnet 100 yards before the overtaking lane starts than they had for the last half an hour and all of a sudden they manage to meet or slightly exceed the posted limit up a hill when they couldn't get within 20km of it for the last half hour even downhill when there was no overtaking lane present. Miraculously this newfound burst of power and speed immediately dissipates come the end of the overtaking lane, even if it's down the other side of the hill they managed to attain the speed limit up.
Well, if theres a hill coming, most with a heavy caravan/float will stick the boot in to still be doing more than 20km/h at the top. While constantly sitting at say 100 causes a it to run a tad warm, or is inefficient on fuel compared to say 85. That, and they dont want the wobbles which happen from time to time even with large 4x4's, but uphill will keep it straight. On a hill, there may be many reasons for sticking the boot in. It is unfortunate for them too that the overtaking lane is on the hill.

If its flat, then yeah, they are just turds.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:13 PM   #75
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FgNewbie
So many thoughts, so few words. The mind boggles.
I wonder if his attitude will change when someone in his family is killed by a speeding driver. It's ok, everyone speeds. If I only kill one person every year or 2, then that's ok because that's my logic.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #76
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

And there are accidents?
I used to drive to Sydney from Brisbane and back again about 4-5 times a year. Now I only do it once a year a year. (Summernats ). What I found to avoid this is that you have to drive at night. Leave Brisbane about 7:00 pm arrive in Sydney about 7:00am.

The best thing about driving at night is that the self righteous are tucked up in bed, and the only others on the road are the truckies. These guys know how to share a road. I have had nothing but good experiences sharing the road with truckies. Car drivers on the on the hand .
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #77
Matt47569
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I wonder if his attitude will change when someone in his family is killed by a speeding driver. It's ok, everyone speeds. If I only kill one person every year or 2, then that's ok because that's my logic.
well that depends how fast.. excessive speeds are stupid yes especially around traffic

10k's over makes no difference if you're always alert and paying attention to whats happening. accidents within these speeds happen due to distractions and combinations of other things. what makes one road safe for 70 and another only safe for 60? especially roads that are deserted

you always hear them say "speed was a factor" in accidents. of course speed is a factor in any crash but did it cause it? guess "the every k over is a killer" propaganda really worms its way into some peoples minds when you hear it all the time in the media. gotta love hypocrisy too when i was overtaken the other day by a speed camera van bearing the slogan
Old 07-12-2010, 07:55 PM   #78
FgNewbie
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt47569
well that depends how fast.. excessive speeds are stupid yes especially around traffic

10k's over makes no difference if you're always alert and paying attention to whats happening. accidents within these speeds happen due to distractions and combinations of other things. what makes one road safe for 70 and another only safe for 60? especially roads that are deserted

you always hear them say "speed was a factor" in accidents. of course speed is a factor in any crash but did it cause it? guess "the every k over is a killer" propaganda really worms its way into some peoples minds when you hear it all the time in the media. gotta love hypocrisy too when i was overtaken the other day by a speed camera van bearing the slogan
10k's over the posted speed limit can make a HUGE difference relative to conditions. The posted speed limit isn't always appropriate, be it under or over. As for being alert and paying attention, watching for suss parked cars (or someone that might book you) must be a distraction.

Out of interest, other than having a licence for 2.5 years, do you have any other formal driver training?
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #79
FgNewbie
Australia

I agree and used to apply the logic, the less time spent on the wrong side of the road the better. These days I value my life & licence too much. The regulators should be proud, cars hanging out there at legal limits might kill or be killed but at least they weren't speeding.

To those suggesting banning horse floats (or anything being towed), it used to be common for slow vehicles to help others get around them. These days I'd suggest educating drivers to adopt the same courtesy and allow traffic to safely flow past occassionally.

XWGT, police have worked sparce overtaking lanes since Jesus played quarter back for Jerusalem. It's just another easy target.

In the early 80s doing a trip NSW - VIC, a string of cars (7 or 8) hit the overtaking lane doing (I guess) 130kph +. It was interesting to watch a polic car pull up the whole string. I didn't battle for a space in the string so I was lucky.

In the early 70s my sister was in the middle of a string of cars doing 40mph in a 35. She was the only P plater I could see and the only one booked.

Before a change in regs (possibly 1999), there were different state speed limits for trailers.

302 XC, my cars have always had more than enough power to tow my half cab boats at any speed but wind dynamics dictate I use my brain and slow down. Even with a good tandem trailer, I nearly learnt the hard way that a random wind gust (or vac from a semi) could cause mayhem.

I'm starting to sound like my father (ie an old fart with one foot in the grave) but Grobbo's advice sounds good to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbo
They key is the just take a chill pill and relax - you can overtake like mad but you won't get there any faster. There's always more slow traffic or a servo stop that's gonna hold you up anyway.

I bet you over a 3 hour drive if you drove like a loon, you'd only get there a few minutes ahead of a sensible driver...
04redxr8, speaking of truckies, fullnoise posted a good compilation of clips http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtHzaeTpYB0

Slightly OT, this one is a classic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39grA...eature=related (impatient commodore rips it).
Old 07-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #80
Matt47569
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FgNewbie
10k's over the posted speed limit can make a HUGE difference relative to conditions. The posted speed limit isn't always appropriate, be it under or over. As for being alert and paying attention, watching for suss parked cars (or someone that might book you) must be a distraction.

Out of interest, other than having a licence for 2.5 years, do you have any other formal driver training?
if it's pouring with rain etc i do what is comfortable/safe

keeping an eye out for parked cars is just being aware of your surroundings

and no other training. but i'd like the think im very switched on.. dont know how some people drive the way i see them do without some kind of accident.. especially ones who dont keep a good distance from the car in front regardless of speed or ones that think merging is a game of chicken
Old 07-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #81
FgNewbie
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt47569
glad where i live i mostly drive on quieter suburban roads where i can generally drive how i want (no big freeways etc).. had license for 2 and a half years, drive everyday and have never gotten in my car and not sped. only have 1 fine for something stupid like 60 in 50.. so count myself lucky it wasnt worse. never speed through intersections and always on the look out for suss cars parked on the side of the road. very careful about it

i see 1 fine every year or 2 as a small price to pay

some may or may not agree with my logic
I would respectfully suggest your attention to keeping an eye out for parked cars may go beyond "being aware of your surroundings". Good concept though. I'm not trying to start something so I'll leave it alone now.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:16 PM   #82
p5.2drsedan
Starter Motor

Sorry no excuse for speeding! Think about families of people killed by speeding drivers or the emergency crews that have to wash the blood off the road or the cops that have to do that hoorid visit to the deceased's family. all because someone didn't think about the outcome of thier action.
p5.2drsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 10:21 PM   #83
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5.2drsedan
Sorry no excuse for speeding! Think about families of people killed by speeding drivers or the emergency crews that have to wash the blood off the road or the cops that have to do that hoorid visit to the deceased's family. all because someone didn't think about the outcome of thier action.
Oh no, they think about it. They simply either think its their own life in question and therefore no-one elses business, or they just think they are extra special and it doesnt apply to them.

Other than that, they argue that slogans like speed kills means the act of driving at speed, rather than the increased risk of not being able to stop and potential for increased impact damage.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:22 PM   #84
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Soooo .... if you are doing 80 past a 90 speed sign with rain pouring down, at 5.30pm in the city you are not speeding. If you are doing 80 past the 70 sign at 1.00am on a nice clear summers night you are speeding. Did I just explode or could you explain why I didn't?

Sorry but just so over the 'Don't speed' thing now. Such a band wagon to get on.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 10:30 PM   #85
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

To answer the OPs question, why would we even bother to exist in the first place? We live to create our own purpose for life. To be more specific, we drive performance vehicles not only becuase we want to, but to enjoy what it brings. That doesnt necessarily mean going full stick on public roads. The status, the prestige & mere principle of it is enough.

My 2c.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #86
bingoTE50
Steve

Geez why do people make such generalised comments to try prove a point.
I do not condone speeding,however,I have done it ,I have been booked ,but I did not kill anyone ,and no one had blood on their hands.
Yes speeding has killed ,because the vehicle came to rather fast stop . The car did not lose control -the driver lost control or made a poor decision .
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 11:45 PM   #87
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Perfect example of someone who listens to everything the TV says.

There is a difference between breaking the speed limit and traveling at dangerous speeds. It has been said at least 20 times in this thread already, so I am not typing out another example, ill just reinforce a previous example. So here's and example by Auslandau

"Soooo .... if you are doing 80 past a 90 speed sign with rain pouring down, at 5.30pm in the city you are not speeding. If you are doing 80 past the 70 sign at 1.00am on a nice clear summers night you are speeding."

Which of the above is speeding?
And which was in actually more dangerous?

Obviously the rain at peak hour is a lot more dangerous.

Media, governments and police need to get over this attitude of everyone who slightly breaks the limit is a dangerous criminal on the verge of killing a few people.

Why don't they focus their attention on something else that is dangorous, like people who do not indicate, or look when changing lanes! Last week I was almost sandwiched between a van and a power pole due to some moron changing lanes without looking.
Now that was dangerous, but you never see ad's on tv telling people to look properly while changing lanes, you don't see cops at merging areas watching for drivers that are not indicating or idiots who cut other cars off when merging. No you only see cops with radars on a dead straight road, clear weather, not much traffic and they are fining everyone who is doing 104 in a 100 zone. Which is ALOT less dangerous then cutting cars off when merging or not indicating at all, ever, no matter where they are.

I don't know how more simpler to put it!
I am not saying we should be allowed to drive flat out, all day all night in any condition on any road.

I am not saying we should be allowed to drag race away from lights in the middle of the city.

Im not saying its ok if we down a bottle of vodka and trying to drive at 160 on a road between 2 country towns.

All I am saying is we should not get in trouble for slightly breaking the speed "limit" (by 10-20k's) in certain conditions when we are not actually in any immediate danger(i.e. 2am on a straight freeways in clear weather). Or situations where doing 130-140 on a highway is actually safer, (i.e. while overtaking on the wrong side of the road)

Last edited by Ben73; 07-12-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 12:12 AM   #88
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

And there are accidents?
Sums it all up nicely :

Although it rarely happens, some people actually have common courtesy to pull over every so often to let the build up pass.

Travelling from Canberra to Batemans Bay is a nightmare in the holidays, you just cringe at the risks some people take to get around someone going slow in front.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 12:19 AM   #89
Matt47569
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Soooo .... if you are doing 80 past a 90 speed sign with rain pouring down, at 5.30pm in the city you are not speeding. If you are doing 80 past the 70 sign at 1.00am on a nice clear summers night you are speeding. Did I just explode or could you explain why I didn't?

Sorry but just so over the 'Don't speed' thing now. Such a band wagon to get on.

common sense never prevails
Old 08-12-2010, 12:58 AM   #90
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
How about someone thinking that all there was to safe driving was sticking to a limit? Come to a life and death situation where you have to brake heavily, watch for escape routes, keep your head-up, recover from the swerve, etc, etc.

I shudder when I think about the first time drivers try this is when they HAVE to do it.

Speed makes a difference to the outcome but so does equipment, training, instruction, etc. Focussing on speed alone is myopic and in my opinion criminally and morally negligent.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post