Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut King
"The Duratec 35 was on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 2007."

Nah, must be crap _
well, maybe it isn't so bad but I still like the i6

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Old 18-07-2007, 05:48 PM   #62
blackwood
FiSTed

Click here to see what a turbo Duratec can do.

Noble M12 GTO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L16BwBkCuJw

M15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0bdbtfyWQc

Quite promising.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Said on Mt Panorama
Man if this track were in America it would be illegal!
Old 18-07-2007, 05:52 PM   #63
UHW
Banned

Tom Gorman has said they are going to try and absorb people
from the Geelong plant so some good news there if this happens.
Three years to go till closure there still may be hope for the
employees there.
Lets hope so.
Old 18-07-2007, 05:53 PM   #64
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_silver_ghia
well, maybe it isn't so bad but I still like the i6
Yep, gotta agree there.

Redeployments within will probably mean packaging off and then rehire of chosen ones on contracts, but such is life now.

Sure going to shake up Geelong's multicultural heartland. Different culture in Geelong where everyone from literally everywhere mixes, far less segregated than Broady or Toyota, or anywhere else for that matter. Something else Ford Geelong can be very proud of.
Old 18-07-2007, 06:03 PM   #65
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Well, it sounds ok... Ford can start their tuning now maybe? Just imagine, we can make it 500cc 'more' and good torque and power will be comin' our way! Main thing is that the workers have the 3 years to choose what they can do...
Old 18-07-2007, 06:06 PM   #66
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Ford has a history of trying to absorb workers rather than just making them redundant and letting natural attrition (retirement) do the rest. Remember years ago that the Geelong stamping plant was operated by many more humans before robots were introduced to handle the more risky stuff - most of those who got replaced by a robot did something else. Ford will surely offering trainnig incentives (which they do all the time anwyay) so workers shouldn't have to feel as threatened as the press is making out and no doubt sensationalising to sell papers.
Old 18-07-2007, 06:10 PM   #67
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
The Duratec 37 is going to have MORE torque than the AU I6 had.. but then they must've been crap for towing.. Hell even the Duratec 35 has more torque than an ED I6.. but hey that was no good at towing either...

It's all about gearing and just because a Torque figure is lower or higher in the rev range its not about the peak anyway.. It's all about the Area under the torque curve.

Obviously not a member of OCAU or Whirlpool or many other forums for that matter!
Not sure about the weight of the AU/ED compared to whatever the V6 goes into though, also peoples perceptions change as to what is "good" over time.
Old 18-07-2007, 06:11 PM   #68
gtfpv
GT

THIS SUX SUX SUX SUX !!!!!!!! bye bye australian skilled work force. trades and skills are dyeing , america owns everything including technology, which is also outsourced to japan and china . leaving australians working on road repairs and mining and houses . essential services only for 3rd world AUSTRALIANS !!!!!!!!!!!! get your TAXI LICENCE NOW !!!!!!
Old 18-07-2007, 06:14 PM   #69
ef_classic
Banned

I was watching the news on channel ten and there where some pretty angry workers.

I will miss the I6...
Old 18-07-2007, 06:17 PM   #70
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
THIS SUX SUX SUX SUX !!!!!!!! bye bye australian skilled work force. trades and skills are dyeing , america owns everything including technology, which is also outsourced to japan and china . leaving australians working on road repairs and mining and houses . essential services only for 3rd world AUSTRALIANS !!!!!!!!!!!! get your TAXI LICENCE NOW !!!!!!

Couldnt agree more mate,its sad path this country is heading down,in ten years time there will be no such thing as an australian blue collar factory worker,instead they will be working for 12 bucks an hour at spotlight.
Old 18-07-2007, 06:19 PM   #71
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ef_classic
I was watching the news on channel ten and there where some pretty angry workers.

I will miss the I6...
Ok sure it is bad and yes they have every right to be angry
BUT
unlike many others who lose their jobs or are relocated these people have 3 years notice, a lot can happen in 3 years. Instead of moping around whining and complaining, use the time productively to find another job. The problem with this country is too many people want the best in life but are not prepared to work for it then have the audacity to complain when they lose their job.
Old 18-07-2007, 06:20 PM   #72
shepv8
V8's for ever

Its a big surprise how many people are so negative about a new V6 engine.
The I6 is a good motor but I was always led to believe that an engine in a V formation was a better engine in most areas than an equally displaced inline engine. Something about the mechanics of the engine design......not including the terrible holden/chev efforts
Surely the shorter length of the engine will mean less weight over the front of the car and better handling?
I know its a mental thing, because Holdens have been V6's and Fords straight 6's for a long time but if I was a six driver I'd much rather say I had a V6.
As long as its helps Ford stay in the game of building RWD falcons here in Oz its a good thing ( except for the job losses , as mentioned)
Probably wouldnt hurt in an export of the cars at a later date either.
Old 18-07-2007, 06:20 PM   #73
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
Yet unemployment is at record low levels, there is a recognised skill shortage in trade related jobs at the moment, average trade based wages have gone skyward over the past few years.
The aussie dollar is putting unbelievable pressure on local manufacturing, all i can say is people must be finding jobs in areas that support importing or areas immune to the influence of the strength of our currency.
Still... 3 years is a long long time in the life of an employee/employer, natual attrition and re-deployment alone will take care of a large % the 600.
As ClevlndStemer rightly points out, 3 years notice is a lot of notice and will allow most plenty of time to plan around the possibility of the plant shutting.

Last edited by 4Vman; 18-07-2007 at 06:26 PM.
Old 18-07-2007, 06:21 PM   #74
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevlndStemer
BUT
unlike many others who lose their jobs or are relocated these people have 3 years notice, a lot can happen in 3 years. Instead of moping around whining and complaining, use the time productively to find another job. The problem with this country is too many people want the best in life but are not prepared to work for it then have the audacity to complain when they lose their job.
Those 600 workers deserve everything they get........
Old 18-07-2007, 06:21 PM   #75
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Hopefully good news will follow soon.

Ford have also admitted they are also looking at a third vehicle line to get their assembly and stamping plants back to 100% capacity (remember they downsized recently by 30%). If this becomes a reality it would be good news for those engine workers that are willing to relocate to one of the other areas.

As far as any engineers that deal with engine manufacture go, you would think that they could perhaps have opportunities in Product development if Ford are going to take the lead in a global RWD platform, or with the third car line if that takes place.

I hope it happens for the sake of those people that work there.
Old 18-07-2007, 06:21 PM   #76
ef_classic
Banned

Quote:
The problem with this country is too many people want the best in life but are not prepared to work for it then have the audacity to complain when they lose their job.
I think it was just in the heat of the moment with all the press outside the engine plant, stiring the pot.
Old 18-07-2007, 06:21 PM   #77
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

so what does this mean for Orion customers? You buy a 'new' car that will be very old hat in 2 years :(
Surely then the Orion MArk II will have the new Duratec V6 then?

Old 18-07-2007, 06:23 PM   #78
shepv8
V8's for ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD3V
Couldnt agree more mate,its sad path this country is heading down,in ten years time there will be no such thing as an australian blue collar factory worker,instead they will be working for 12 bucks an hour at spotlight.
I agree, but let me ask you this : how many people that are up in arms about this have an imported car in their family???????
How many kia's, daewoo's, hyundai's or , for that matter south african built ford focus's.
p.s. I have a focus
Old 18-07-2007, 06:25 PM   #79
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I welcome the change. I just hope the power figures dont suffer because of it.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 18-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #80
Cuey
Built Ford Tough

About bloody time Ford Oz started making some sensible business decisions.

This is about moving forward and growing the company. While it is disapointing that we lose a locally made engine, the BIG positive is that we pick up the opportunities to export more cars and become more consumer friendly

A good and sensible move!

"I believe it was an old, old wooden ship used in the civil war era."

Ron Burgandy - Anchorman
Old 18-07-2007, 06:27 PM   #81
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepv8
I agree, but let me ask you this : how many people that are up in arms about this have an imported car in their family???????
How many kia's, daewoo's, hyundai's or , for that matter south african built ford focus's.
p.s. I have a focus

Its true mate, but people in this country dont worry about things until they actually happen, then its to late,this sort of thing is becoming more and more common, but she'l be right mate...........
Old 18-07-2007, 06:28 PM   #82
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

This is a huge change, Ford has always had an I6 Falcon since before i was born ! (am i dreaming ?)

Hopefully there will be a significant torque increase before the Duratec is released in a Falcon.
IMO if the torque advantage is gone the Falcon will become another average V6 sedan to blend in with all the others.
Old 18-07-2007, 06:29 PM   #83
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's a thought, if the Australian Dollar were to fall back to around 0.55-0.60 US where do you think the most economical place to manufacture these engines might be...

Old 18-07-2007, 06:29 PM   #84
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Hopefully good news will follow soon.

Ford have also admitted they are also looking at a third vehicle line to get their assembly and stamping plants back to 100% capacity (remember they downsized recently by 30%). If this becomes a reality it would be good news for those engine workers that are willing to relocate to one of the other areas.

I hope it happens for the sake of those people that work there.
There was something else said that one one has picked up on yet:

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/...5506_news.html

Excerpt:The grey iron foundry and casting plants will still be operational and Mr Jones said Ford could actually grow in the region if these were expanded.

And:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/busine...e#contentSwap1

Excerpt:While a statement would be made soon, Mr Gorman indicated that a final decision had not yet been made on which model was to be added to the assembly line.

However, he indicated it would involve panel-stamping activities, which would bolster the Geelong operations, which are to be reduced by the closure of the engine plant.

"No, it won't be a CKD (completely knocked down) operation. We would be looking at what we could do to basically add another product to our build capability, with all of the attendant benefits that that may drive to us."

He said one of the alternatives being assessed would be based on the falcon architecture but the other candidate would be a "completely new product".

That sounds a lot better than we're hearing from most of the media etc....
Old 18-07-2007, 06:34 PM   #85
ef_classic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquahead2001
They will make it sound as bad as possible.

TT and ACA should have a field day, especially TT with that Anna Coren giving the camera a look that could kill.
Old 18-07-2007, 06:36 PM   #86
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepv8
Its a big surprise how many people are so negative about a new V6 engine.
The I6 is a good motor but I was always led to believe that an engine in a V formation was a better engine in most areas than an equally displaced inline engine. Something about the mechanics of the engine design......not including the terrible holden/chev efforts
Surely the shorter length of the engine will mean less weight over the front of the car and better handling?
I know its a mental thing, because Holdens have been V6's and Fords straight 6's for a long time but if I was a six driver I'd much rather say I had a V6.
As long as its helps Ford stay in the game of building RWD falcons here in Oz its a good thing ( except for the job losses , as mentioned)
Probably wouldnt hurt in an export of the cars at a later date either.
Generally I6's are smoother. But you are correct about the other good points, less weight and more compact packaging.

The Ba/BF/Orion being worth something just because they are I6. Yep, and the straight 6 Commodores are worth heaps now after the introduction of the V6 in the VN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea silver ghia
What a shame. The 4.0 litre straight 6 is a great engine, much better than most V6s. I just won't be able to get used to the idea of a V6 Falcon. It also means the Falcon will be less Australian, so that's also a shame.
I'm used to my Falcon being less than a complete Aussie. The last one was an American designed 5L Windsor (ef) and now I drive a BA powered by a V8 pulled straight from an F-Series truck lol.
I do get where you are comming from though.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Old 18-07-2007, 06:38 PM   #87
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
BUT
HERE WE GO , ANOTHER BRIGHT EYED SCHOOL LEAVER!!
Old 18-07-2007, 06:39 PM   #88
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquahead2001

Excerpt:While a statement would be made soon, Mr Gorman indicated that a final decision had not yet been made on which model was to be added to the assembly line.

However, he indicated it would involve panel-stamping activities, which would bolster the Geelong operations, which are to be reduced by the closure of the engine plant.

"No, it won't be a CKD (completely knocked down) operation. We would be looking at what we could do to basically add another product to our build capability, with all of the attendant benefits that that may drive to us."

He said one of the alternatives being assessed would be based on the falcon architecture but the other candidate would be a "completely new product".

Now that was what I was thinking. There are a few areas of manufacture in Ford Geelong, not just the Engine plant from what I hear.

That would be great news for the workers. It would be great if Ford could stick it up the media and get the statement on an approved new vehicle program out ASAP !!

It would have been perfect to have made the announcement at the same time.
Old 18-07-2007, 06:39 PM   #89
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Yet unemployment is at record low levels, there is a recognised skill shortage in trade related jobs at the moment, average trade based wages have gone skyward over the past few years.
The aussie dollar is putting unbelievable pressure on local manufacturing, all i can say is people must be finding jobs in areas that support importing or areas immune to the influence of the strength of our currency.
Still... 3 years is a long long time in the life of an employee/employer, natual attrition and re-deployment alone will take care of a large % the 600.
As ClevlndStemer rightly points out, 3 years notice is a lot of notice and will allow most plenty of time to plan around the possibility of the plant shutting.
YES , my neice is employed she works 4 hours a week at her local newsagency.
Old 18-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #90
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Very sad news on the death of the I6, but business is business and well I think they may just have slit their own throats in Australia its pretty sad when you have to buy Holden or a 380 to get AustralianMade if I wanted something imported I woulda bought a fricking hyundai.

Business is Business and yes the Australian motor market is changing so I'm accepting change and changing to another brand.

Long Live the I6!
Closed Thread