Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-11-2015, 10:38 AM   #61
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Pedestrians in Car Parks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
This...

Il also add, I believe drivers actually are obliged by law to give way anywhere... Otherwise any pedestrian that stepped foot on a road would be fair game.
Drivers have a duty of care not to injure a pedestrian (that means, if you can avoid them, you have to)

If they step out in front of you at 80ks with a metre to spare, then its not going to apply, but if they're walking along a carpark and you mow them down, well, enjoy your bus pass ;)
STEALTHY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2015, 11:22 AM   #62
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

In car parks common sense for both parties
Pedestrians, don't blindly walk in front of a car. There are usually designated areas to cross and if there isn't normal road crossing applies, look both ways and then cross. It is a shared zone not a right of passage.

Drivers, for god sake it is a car park not a race track, stop driving like an idiot and be mindful of your surroundings. Those lines on the road, pedestrian crossings, please obey them, don't try and race through and nearly collect people walking. Countless times i have punch windows, panels and thrown items at cars cause morons decide to rush through as we've started crossing.
Old 24-11-2015, 07:56 PM   #63
tonys6550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
In car parks common sense for both parties
Pedestrians, don't blindly walk in front of a car. There are usually designated areas to cross and if there isn't normal road crossing applies, look both ways and then cross. It is a shared zone not a right of passage.

Drivers, for god sake it is a car park not a race track, stop driving like an idiot and be mindful of your surroundings. Those lines on the road, pedestrian crossings, please obey them, don't try and race through and nearly collect people walking. Countless times i have punch windows, panels and thrown items at cars cause morons decide to rush through as we've started crossing.
Yeah, I'm hearing ya.
It's a war zone out there people, today's society seems to be ME ME ME. If common sense was so common, everyone would have it
tonys6550 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2015, 08:37 PM   #64
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It absolutely sh!ts me when backing out of a shopping centre car park when you are looking for other cars speeding past behind you and others possibly reversing out behind you. But then pedestrians that walk behind you as you are reversing out and look at you as though your eyes were painted on. I always let cars reverse out before I walk past them, but that's just me.
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2015, 01:46 PM   #65
Harrison

I always find it's easier to give way.

Cleaning blood off the duco can take hours.
Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2015, 01:57 PM   #66
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"You must also give way to pedestrians – even if there is no marked pedestrian crossing – if there is any danger of colliding with them."
NSW road rules
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2015, 03:02 PM   #67
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm always telling my kids to be careful in carparks. They are more dangerous than the roads. People are not paying full attention; looking for car spaces, checking shopping lists, backing out in low-vision situations etc.
As said earlier, a bit of common sense goes a long way. Unfortunately, you have to go a long way to find any common sense!!
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2015, 03:58 PM   #68
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
...........pedestrian crossings, please obey them, don't try and race through and nearly collect people walking.

This exact same thing happened to me last week at T-Intersection in our local shopping strip.

The driver turned into the street with the crossing which is about 4 metres from the corner and slowed, so I stepped onto the crossing and suddenly he must have decided he could beat me and accelerated almost taking the toenails off one of my feet.

What is it that makes people think that is in anyway legal let alone a safe way to drive?

Its incidents like this that makes me hesitant to cross even at designated locations when a car is approaching as you don’t know what kind of driving mentality you’re up against.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-11-2015, 12:20 AM   #69
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
This exact same thing happened to me last week at T-Intersection in our local shopping strip.

The driver turned into the street with the crossing which is about 4 metres from the corner and slowed, so I stepped onto the crossing and suddenly he must have decided he could beat me and accelerated almost taking the toenails off one of my feet.

What is it that makes people think that is in anyway legal let alone a safe way to drive?

Its incidents like this that makes me hesitant to cross even at designated locations when a car is approaching as you don’t know what kind of driving mentality you’re up against.
In this situation, i'd personally let the car go through (wave them through) as its safer for me to stand on the side of the road than to have them get tboned by some moron on their phone (and potentially land on top of me while i'm trying to cross)
STEALTHY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2015, 01:36 PM   #70
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Why can't they design and implement a car park where pedestrians and cars are kept separate? I know it would take more land but it is a place I'd go to every time. Waurn Ponds Shopping Centre is near to me and has the worst car park design I have seen. What idiot thought it was a good idea to have the moving traffic adjacent to the shops so EVERY PEDESTRIAN has to interact with cars?

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2015, 08:56 PM   #71
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Technology has a solution: http://insights.globalspec.com/artic...sletter&cid=nl
Quote:
Hitachi Automotive Systems and Clarion Co. say they have developed technology that prevents auto-pedestrian collisions by predicting changes in pedestrian movements and calculating optimum speed patterns in real time. The technology has been verified for implementation at safe and practical driving speeds using experimental vehicles, a statement says.

The companies say that successful autonomous driving depends on the recognition of various kinds of obstacles and moving objects including vehicles and pedestrians. Predicting their movements and potential changes in their movements using a real-time implementation of a driving plan to prevent collisions is a necessary step.

Features of the Hitachi/Clarion technology include:

Speed control based on prediction of change in movement – The technology predicts future movements based on the positional relationships of Speed control based on prediction of pedestrian movement

The technology models the change in movement involved in changing paths toward a space with low-risk potential when pedestrians try to avoid parked vehicles and other obstacles. The best speed pattern is calculated to minimize changes in acceleration, maintaining a practical speed without decelerating when safety can be maintained.

High-speed calculation of optimum speed – When there are multiple moving objects and obstacles, maintenance of safety and practicality of speed must be considered. Rapid calculations are necessary to establish optimum speed values. The technology provides rapid access to the memory storing the collision probability map, reducing calculations necessary to establish optimum values. The path plan for the autonomous vehicle is fixed in advance, and a 1D map that omits road-width information is used, enabling high-speed access to memory. The companies say this effect was validated using an FPGA test board to verify that calculations can be increased by up to 200x faster than with software processing using generic embedded processors.

Tests results show that it is possible to achieve practical speeds for passing through pedestrians and driving within the standard comfortable speeds for acceleration and for change of acceleration. Further tests using experimental vehicles in different driving environments will be conducted, the companies say. The technology was developed with the cooperation of the Pongsathorn Laboratory of the Department of Mechanical Systems Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology.
Old 26-11-2015, 10:11 PM   #72
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

We're all in here ****ting on pedestrians, and we all seem to have the same bad experience.

The problem is, other times we're these pain in the *** pedestrians and we might not even know it.

*plot twist*
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2015, 10:16 PM   #73
tonys6550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
We're all in here ****ting on pedestrians, and we all seem to have the same bad experience.

The problem is, other times we're these pain in the *** pedestrians and we might not even know it.

*plot twist*
Every motorist is a pedestrian, not all pedestrians are motorists.
Make of that what you will grasshopper.
tonys6550 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2015, 05:57 AM   #74
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
Why can't they design and implement a car park where pedestrians and cars are kept separate? I know it would take more land but it is a place I'd go to every time. Waurn Ponds Shopping Centre is near to me and has the worst car park design I have seen. What idiot thought it was a good idea to have the moving traffic adjacent to the shops so EVERY PEDESTRIAN has to interact with cars?
They plan to use as much space to allocate to car spots. They won't sacrifice this for pedestrian space.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 10:55 AM   #75
T4ppers

This is all common sense. If your on foot walking through a carpark, check before you cross and if your in a vehicle don't drive 40km/h in an area that could have up too 100s of pedestrians and small children scattered through it.These are the sorts of things high schools should be teaching 'how to not be a spanner'
Old 03-12-2015, 03:32 PM   #76
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Cars pulling out driveways on the street is another one that concerns me.
It use to be that they would wait for cars on the street to go by, now they pull out in front of you without warning and you have to stop and wait for them to get out.

Happened to me a few days ago only I didn't stop. Should of seen the guy pull back into his driveway it was a classic.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:05 PM   #77
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS View Post

It use to be that they would wait for cars on the street to go by, now they pull out in front of you without warning and you have to stop and wait for them to get out.

Happened to me a few days ago only I didn't stop. Should of seen the guy pull back into his driveway it was a classic.

Why didn't you just stop? Seems like the human thing to do.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 07:29 PM   #78
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Lack of civility does not justify your action.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 06:06 AM   #79
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:

Legally they must give way to all traffic and wait to enter the roadway when safe.

Nowadays, everyone thinks they have right-of-way regardless and just pull out. Then cry a sob story when they get hit! "Why did YOU hit me when you could see me pulling out?" Yup, they blame you.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2015, 09:40 AM   #80
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
Why didn't you just stop? Seems like the human thing to do.
Because I'm making a ****en stand that's why. I'm sick to death of people not following the road rules. It's my right of way he needs to ****en wait for me.

Last edited by kaniSS; 04-12-2015 at 09:45 AM.
kaniSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2015, 11:09 AM   #81
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

I run with the philosophy that i dont drive on the footpath so dont walk in the road
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 11:55 AM   #82
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Because I'm making a ****en stand that's why. I'm sick to death of people not following the road rules. It's my right of way he needs to ****en wait for me.

You are what's wrong with our country today. This attitude of self before anyone else. You should get some guns just in case anyone disses' you. You show them.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 03:58 PM   #83
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
ticks me off too. its apparently illegal in nsw to reverse out of a driveway if the oncoming traffic is obscured by a fence on the property, but I dont know anyone who has heard of that one being enforced. Yet it happens to be at least once a week, they just dont look and are surprised to find a car on the road when they actually bother to look around. The last 2 people who reversed into my stationary car didnt look either, at least it was my car & not some elderly person or small child they hit .

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 04:49 PM   #84
stig_3754

Quote:
You are what's wrong with our country today. This attitude of self before anyone else. You should get some guns just in case anyone disses' you. You show them.
The driver sticking out of the driveway sounds more to me like his/her attitude is 'self before anyone else', or am I missing something? I thought when you're coming out of a driveway the onus is on you to give way to traffic??
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2015, 05:19 PM   #85
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Quote:
Actually it's the other way around but keep telling yourself I am wrong. I already own 3 guns, 2 hunters 1 hand held. Licensed and fully trained. In addition I have a head that's screwed on straight.

And on that note I'm off to the pub for a proper beer.