Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #61
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
I fear the OP is scared of being hit.

I sometimes get a lift to work in a Commodore SV6 and I hate how close to the road it sits. I feel like I'm going to get crushed by standard height VW Golfs and Fiestas.

How do you go when buses, trucks and vans drive by you? Do you hesitate cause you're scared you're gonna get hit? I think some people need a cup of HTFU.
Ok for you, not ok for OP?
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
Old 03-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #62
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Theres mention in this thread regarding difference licencing for vehicles over 1.8T mass wieght
That would be 90% of cars on the road
My XC is not far of that
New commos,falcons,camrys wieght ???
4x4s are near 3 tonne
Yep nearly 2 commos
There big bad 6 cylinders can do the same if not more than anything else
Tow more, keep to the limit,accelorate from speeds
Next ......

I live outta the burbs,but when i venture to the big smoke
Im usually towing my tandem trailer with my 4x4 ,that makes me real bad ???

I have more trouble with the little idiots in their buzz boxes weaving in and outta traffic,and thinkin our big 4x4s can stop on a dime
If everyone drove to the road conditions and speed there would be less accidents
But it will never happen,so lets blame the big cars
Old 03-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #63
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot
We have 4 kids and owning a van is just sad..

Damn straight! We've got a Prado ('97 model) that's got a footprint about the size of a Falcon. It tows & goes off road too, but spends most of its time as my wife's daily driver in the 'burbs. On gas, costs us nothing to run and has NEVER broken down or needed any replacement parts except consumables.

Damned if I'd ever be caught dead in a people mover van. They are just so uncool. Might as well sell my soul.

And what's this continued tripe about expensive services for anything that's not made in Australia? It's crap. Hourly rates for mechanics don't tend to differ because of where the car was made, oil is not more expensive for foreign made vehicles, and timing belts are timing belts at 100,000k's.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #64
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What ever happened to freedom of choice. By removing freedom to choose, we step closer to communism. Is that what people really want?

Its not the car that is the problem, its the driver. Stop blaming the cars. I have an XR8 sedan and an SSV ute. That does not make me a hoon.

People need to get over what others have and are doing, and just worry about themselves. These topics are really tiresome.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #65
fairBA
Banned

just for the record a 100series Landcrusier is SHORTER then a BF by 2.6cm and is only 49cm taller than a BF.

People are scared of a 49cm height difference?

Source - Redbook
Old 03-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #66
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE72
Ok for you, not ok for OP?
Not sure I follow but I definitely got nothing against you or your beasts in your sig.

Just stupid threads like this really get under my goat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
I have more trouble with the little idiots in their buzz boxes weaving in and outta traffic,and thinkin our big 4x4s can stop on a dime
And these will be the same drivers that think trucks and buses can do the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
These topics are really tiresome
Yes, yes they are.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #67
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
Theres mention in this thread regarding difference licencing for vehicles over 1.8T mass wieght
That would be 90% of cars on the road
My XC is not far of that
New commos,falcons,camrys wieght ???
4x4s are near 3 tonne
Yep nearly 2 commos
There big bad 6 cylinders can do the same if not more than anything else
Tow more, keep to the limit,accelorate from speeds
Next ......

I live outta the burbs,but when i venture to the big smoke
Im usually towing my tandem trailer with my 4x4 ,that makes me real bad ???

If everyone drove to the road conditions and speed there would be less accidents
But it will never happen,so lets blame the big cars

Some fourbys may be near 3 tonnes but not most. My Prado is 1.85T, my Mitsu Verada is 1.7T. Not much difference. Maybe Patrols and Landcriusers are around 2.5T, and Range Rovers too, but mid size 4X4's are around 2T give or take. How heavy is a Falcon wagon or a Terry? What about a commercial van fully laden? How would it go under brakes?

As far as stopping, mass is mass, my fourby has bigger tyres than a normal car and has dynamite brakes with ABS. It can stop.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #68
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

I don't understand the argument with the weight/size of the vehicle...

Should be focused on the driver.... and their lack of common sense/training/skills...

A poor driver in a Daewoo Lanos has a similar potential to kill/injure/damage as a poor driver in a 4wd...

sure there's an extra 600kg in it... but they still go BANG when they hit something they shouldn't...
Old 03-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #69
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
Not sure I follow but I definitely got nothing against you or your beasts in your sig.

Just stupid threads like this really get under my goat.

Not having a shot directly mate.
I agree, bad drivers are in all cars.
In fact, it is perspective. A driver that may seem to me to have the IQ of an eggplant in regards to their driving ability and road courtesy, probably thinks the same of me or others on the road and compounds their poor behaviour.

A small difference between bad drivers in sedans versus bad drivers in large 4wd's etc, is that the 4wd has a greater impact on the sedans' visibility in traffic and this can be an issue if they are tailgaters in peak load conditions.
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
Old 03-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #70
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Wow pretty interestng how this thread has turned into a s...tfight.

So the OP lives out of the city and has driven in the city for a bit. Big difference to sombody who isnt used to the daily city grind. Ive had countless occasions where ive been almost cleaned up with no fault of my own. Its just a part of life...

While we are speaking of weights, my trusty subaru is 1.1T

Subaru Outback '02
Old 03-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #71
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE72
Not having a shot directly mate.
I agree, bad drivers are in all cars.
In fact, it is perspective. A driver that may seem to me to have the IQ of an eggplant in regards to their driving ability and road courtesy, probably thinks the same of me or others on the road and compounds their poor behaviour.

A small difference between bad drivers in sedans versus bad drivers in large 4wd's etc, is that the 4wd has a greater impact on the sedans' visibility in traffic and this can be an issue if they are tailgaters in peak load conditions.
Totally agree. Sometimes is the precursor to road rage incidents as well.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #72
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I live in the country and can’t stand it when I see family sedans and small cars driving around the roads.

I mean, what’s the point of owning a 2wd road vehicle if it doesn’t get used in the city?

Golly gosh I could add geez at least 50+ links on the negativity of them - mainly about the damage they can to do to local wildlife and our 4wds... But I'm not here to do th…scrap that, whinge about it.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #73
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been nearly side swipped by B double trucks in my 4x4 in the burbs
How can ya not see a 4x4 , ya have mirrors

But i dont ever disrespect trucks

If ya in a little /smallish car and ya nearly get hit
Is it really because of the other driver
Or
Arent you concentrating on the roads
(playing with ya mobile/ipod ect)???
Old 03-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #74
Jimmyd
Banned

Don't know bout you fellas down south, but up here in Queensland we need em to launch the jet skis when the roads flood....

Old 03-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #75
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sheesh. Try riding a motorbike in traffic or a pushy, I do both regularly. It's surpising I'm still here to talk about it.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #76
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Quite funny, I also have a Prado as a daily driver, more fun than than my old FGXR8 ute actually, and the Prado weighs 1.6T, the same as an XR6. Mine gets me to my job in outer CBD, and gets me anywhere I want on the weekend. Much safer towing the tandem, and its on LPG, gets about 400k's for $55. Win, win for me.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #77
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888
Sheesh. Try riding a motorbike in traffic or a pushy, I do both regularly. It's surpising I'm still here to talk about it.
Been there done that with motorbikes, got to the point I hated everyone behind the wheel of a four or more wheeled vehicle regardless off size. Too many near misses and taken a few hits also.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #78
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Whilst 4wd drivers dont scare me, i like the idea of making their drivers pass a seperate licensing test as a LR driver would or someone who drives a small bus.
They should need to prove that they can actually handle the thing as opposed to steering/braking it.
My guess is the trend would decline as most wouldnt want to go through the testing as for the majority it really is just a fashion accessory.

If you actually need a 4wd, fair enough, but to own one for the sake of it is just ignorant.
This topic highlights a moral dilemma in this country of personal safety v's lack of consideration for others.
To say i feel safer in a 4wd is like saying 'screw you, if we collide i will win!'

Yes. you may win, but if for some reason you plowed into the rear of a small hatchback with 3 small children in the back seat and killed them, how would you feel then.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #79
Batman105E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Gaza
I'm with the OP....way too many 4WD's for my liking.

Yes, you are entitled to drive what you like, but please consider the following points :

* You may feel safer because of your field of view, but how about the lesser field of view you create for other car drivers behind you and around you ? Should we all hop in Trucks because they provide the driver with a better field of view ?

* You may feel safer in an accident because they are "tougher". What about their ability to avoid an accident ? Surely, they are not as maneuverable as a car ?

* There have been reports that they are a greater danger to pedestrians than a car....(not sure about the validity of the argument)

So yes, you are entitled to drive whatever you want, but like the OP, I personally would prefer a lot less 4WD's (ie 4WD "styled" vehicles) on the road.
I would much prefer a lot less c#ckheads on the road but we can't always get what we want...
Old 03-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #80
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's going to be different on the test? All the controls are the same.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #81
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People cannot be bothered to learn to drive properly, so they just blame the vehicles that will hurt them the most when they eventually run into one.

Some people cannot afford a 4x4 and a smaller car. 2 Regos, 2 insurance, to service cost. many people cannot afford that. So they just get the 4x4 because that can be used everywhere.

Most 4x4 are shorter and about as wide as a large sedan. They just have more ground clearance.

Newer 4x4, especially diesels, use less fuel then many smaller cars. Especially v8 and v6 commodores/falcons and other similar cars.

Vans use as much fuel as 4x4, they are about the same size, just a bit lower to the ground. And look absolutely terrible.

The only problem I see is ground clearance. People hate 4x4 because they have more ground clearance.
Because most other features of 4x4 are also seen in other vehicles.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #82
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Duh but to drive one is not the same as in handling, stopping or parking & I am talking the large ones not SUV's
Old 03-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #83
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is coming from a guy who just traded a 100 series Landcruiser on our G6E, loves four wheel driving, and who is now looking for a second old fourbie as a project car. We also live in a small country town of 400 people surrounded by bushland and long country roads where kangaroos are common.

They're not needed in the city. There is literally NO reason for purposely buying a large four wheel drive in the city when you know damn well you wouldn't dare take your shiny bling-rimmed monstrosity off road...heaven forbid!
You need extra room for a horde of kids? People mover or wagon with extra seats in the back...it'll be cheaper to buy, cheaper to insure, put tyres on, and easier to drive...and it'll be safer and more crashworthy.

People have had it drummed into thier head that they'll be "safer" in a fourbie in town...in certain circumstances it might be, but you're at risk in other ways (they "fall over" easier in an impact), and wha about the other people around you? far too many idiots who think they need massive bullbars and steelwork for city driving...why? So you can more effectively mash the pedestrians that are far more likely to be encountered in the city or to crush the smaller vehicles around you when you fail to give way?

Too many ******* drive them in the city, thinking they are "safe" and they obviously also think it absolves them from obeying simple courtesy. Sure, other people show a lack of courtesy and bully thier way through traffic and across intersections, but I'd prefer they are in a normal car instead of three tons of fourbie with 500kg of steel barwork on the front...and too many people drive them thinking they have the same driving dynamics as a normal car when they certainly don't.
And what is the point of "being able to see further ahead"? Last time I drove in Brisbane with our Landcruiser on a brief visit, the extra height only allowed me to see how much further the traffic was backed up while I was stuck there...couldn't really see a benefit I'm afraid...
Old 03-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #84
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduce XR6
Duh but to drive one is not the same as in handling, stopping or parking & I am talking the large ones not SUV's
Every car handles differently to the next... stops differently to the next... and parks differently to the next...

What a 'duh' thing to say!??!?!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #85
2.8L Hilux
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I supposed 4x4 owners could ask whats the point of making huge power modifications and upgrading brakes on our falcons when we never take them to the track?
Old 03-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #86
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
So do LR/MR trucks and buses with seating for more than 12 etc. but you need a licence to drive them...
Old 03-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #87
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
The only problem I see is ground clearance. People hate 4x4 because they have more ground clearance.
Because most other features of 4x4 are also seen in other vehicles.
lol you really have not read this thread though have you

If you had you would see many reasons why people dont think large 4WD's should be driven in the city & it is not ground clearance

For me I understand both sides of the argument however what I dislike re 4WD's is the black clouds of diesel which I have read on this very forum some 4WD owners like to do for fun to car drivers behind them (stick it in a high gear & floor it to make smoke), the fact that at intersections drivers of Large 4WD's go as far forwards as they can when they would have no trouble seeing a foot or 2 back & block the view of cars next to them to oncoming traffic, people who drive them way too fast for the vehicle they are or who cant handle them properly as there skills are very low or the fact when behind them you cant see through the windows to see up the road in front as you can when following most cars.
As for car drivers behaving badly I have also seen many large 4WD drivers doing the same.
Would I won one & drive it in a city, yes I would though I would be more considerate of others around me while doing so
Old 03-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #88
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Every car handles differently to the next... stops differently to the next... and parks differently to the next...

What a 'duh' thing to say!??!?!
Not the same as comparing a large 4WD to a car ya fool
Old 03-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #89
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Does anyone know how magnets work?

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #90
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.8L Hilux
I supposed 4x4 owners could ask whats the point of making huge power modifications and upgrading brakes on our falcons when we never take them to the track?
we could all ask that
Closed Thread