Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-09-2014, 03:13 PM   #8671
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 
Default Re: Last EVER Falcon Picture & Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas2 View Post
I think the XR8 needs to be 335...335 sounds a lot better than 315, I'm sure prospective buyers tossing up between an SS(v) or an XR8 would be more swayed by the 335.
They'd probably be more swayed by a 351, a 375 or a 400 too. All 300 of them.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-09-2014, 05:00 PM   #8672
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
Has Ford actually confirmed that they did calibrate the DSC for the wider rear tyres, or is that an assumption? (I'm not being ****y about it, I just might have missed it).

They'd only save money (and we don't know how much that is) reusing the R Spec calibration if the XR8 is reusing the same suspension too.

Basically if they do change DSC settings between different models and option packs (and I'm as yet not convinced they do) then any brake, suspension, transmission/driveline and engine differences would need it to be recalibrated. So the two options are:

1. Recalibration isn't expensive and they do it for every change.
2. Recalibration is too expensive and the XR8 is just a GT or a GT Rspec with a different badge, and it doesn't matter what wheels or suspension or motor it comes with because the tune is the same.
That's basically my point, DSC Calibration is expensive, and is factored on power/Torque input, suspension & shock settings and of course tyre specs (& width). Ford have already calibrated the 275s with the R-Spec settings for the 335 & 351, and as the 315 & 335 are the same engine (exc for the tune) - and therefore same production cost, so why go to the extra Calibration expense of using a lesser 315 kw tune ?
stevefreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2014, 05:01 PM   #8673
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
They are actually 275 tyres.. not 375... Geeeze.

Also there is no calibration for Brembos on the 315 motor.
Thanks, ok course its 275....I think I was going cross eyed - or too much time on the Mustang Forum !
Old 03-09-2014, 05:10 PM   #8674
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefreestyle View Post
That's basically my point, DSC Calibration is expensive, and is factored on power/Torque input, suspension & shock settings and of course tyre specs (& width). Ford have already calibrated the 275s with the R-Spec settings for the 335 & 351, and as the 315 & 335 are the same engine (exc for the tune) - and therefore same production cost, so why go to the extra Calibration expense of using a lesser 315 kw tune ?
I understand this thought process, but the DSC is also calibrated for all types of surfaces and varying grip of those surfaces.

Surely that covers any tyre size/brand/quality issues.

I guess what I'm saying here is that the tyres probably do not pose as big of an issue with DSC as it is coming across.

Weight wouldn't even play a huge part as it is variable between 'skinny driver only' to '4 fat passengers and a boot full of camping gear'.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:28 PM   #8675
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Not sure if this has already been discussed but while dropping off my new plates for my GTF at my dealer, I did discuss the new XR8. He informed me that they will be 315kW with standard Brembo's running the GT wheels. couldn't tell me anymore, will be interesting to see.
It's quite funny how some of these muppet salesmen just make things up.

He must of read that on the internet, because he's wrong !
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2014, 06:13 PM   #8676
Bobman
Regulator

Salesmen (and most dealerships) have little clue about the running of Ford and their cars.

Even now, some dealers don't know that cruise control can be enabled via WDS.

Hopefully the yank Fords sell poorly and these poor-performing dealers close quickly!

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2014, 06:15 PM   #8677
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks View Post
Very cool but that's a promo car. There will only be one of them.
Hmmm so I wonder where the nsw r spec is off too?
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #8678
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8 View Post
It's quite funny how some of these muppet salesmen just make things up.

He must of read that on the internet, because he's wrong !
And once again with this post, the question is solved, closed and we can move onto more interesting topics...

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2014, 07:21 PM   #8679
Dissgrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
Police museum
Dissgrace is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2014, 07:28 PM   #8680
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

NSW RSpec was number 150 to celebrate the 150th anniversary, then tuned to 400rwkw. Off to the museum though.

Amusing that they have used someone else to tinker with the new GT. I look forward to to seeing what DJR do with it.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2014, 08:12 PM   #8681
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissgrace View Post
Police museum
I wonder if anyone will get to drive it before it goes there?
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2014, 08:22 PM   #8682
AUS GRUNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
Well...they blew up that r-spec after running E-10 fuel in it i don't know if they got it rebuilt it or what.
AUS GRUNT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2014, 10:16 PM   #8683
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal
Has Ford actually confirmed that they did calibrate the DSC for the wider rear tyres, or is that an assumption? (I'm not being ****y about it, I just might have missed it).

They'd only save money (and we don't know how much that is) reusing the R Spec calibration if the XR8 is reusing the same suspension too.

Basically if they do change DSC settings between different models and option packs (and I'm as yet not convinced they do) then any brake, suspension, transmission/driveline and engine differences would need it to be recalibrated. So the two options are:

1. Recalibration isn't expensive and they do it for every change.
2. Recalibration is too expensive and the XR8 is just a GT or a GT Rspec with a different badge, and it doesn't matter what wheels or suspension or motor it comes with because the tune is the same.

DSC has to be recalibrated for different tyre sizes, and suspension changes. And it doesn't come cheap. R spec has it's own DSC calibration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
I understand this thought process, but the DSC is also calibrated for all types of surfaces and varying grip of those surfaces.

I guess what I'm saying here is that the tyres probably do not pose as big of an issue with DSC as it is coming across.

Weight wouldn't even play a huge part as it is variable between 'skinny driver only' to '4 fat passengers and a boot full of camping gear'.
At one point you couldn't get 19's with LPi as they had no DSC calibration for it, so they were all fitted with 18's. Hence no XR luxury pack was available with LPi as it came with 19's. They did end up doing it though afaik.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2014, 10:26 PM   #8684
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefreestyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD View Post
My understanding is that DSC is controlled by the ABS computer (as is ABS & TCS)... it takes inputs from the ABS sensors (wheel speed), SAS (Steering Angle Sensor for front wheel direction) & YRS (Yaw Rate Sensor which is basically a G-force meter) and works in conjunction with the PCM inputs to constantly monitor what the vehicle is doing at any given time.

Mathematical equations are calculated by the ABS/TCS/DSC computer based on known parameters which have been programmed in. Should one of those parameters be physically altered (say.. tyre size)... but not in the computer... then the calculations the computer is making won't match the inputs it's receiving... and it will either not act as well as it should.. or shut down until someone tells it what's going on ! So.. If the overall diameter of the tyre has changed (outside of the "known" normal tyre wear parameters programmed in)... then the actual wheel speed, at a given trans output shaft speed, will not match what the computer is expecting to see. Same goes for tyre wall height. For example... a car with say 65 series tyres, will corner differently to a car with 35 series tyres... if the YRS inputs have been programmed in to recognise the amount of Yaw from a 35 series tyre when the car is cornering at "this" speed with "that much" steering angle... and then you go and fit 65 series tyres (same OD for the sake of the eg... then the car will experience much more Yaw (on the same corner at the same speed) as the side walls have much more flex. More steering lock will be required to complete the turn.... the input signals the computer is receiving will again be outside it's "known" parameters... and it will asume there is something wrong. If it can't "control" the situation back to withing "known" parameters... it will shut down.

You can resolve some of the issues by changing the parameters in the computer. (ie: change your wheel/tyres on the car... also change the settings in the computer to match). This will then allow the computer to make the correct calculations etc.

I admit.. these are just a couple of very basic explanations... but I hope it helps you to get your head around it a bit !??

The DSC programming is very complex... and highly skilled Engineers spend many hours writing the programming and then testing to fine tune everything ! Yes they make allowances for things like weight etc... but the computer cant measure the actual weight perse'.... the system can only be programmed to recognise the variance in say Yaw (weight shift) when the car is cornering with one person, empty... or 5 people, fully laden (amongst other things) So tyre size is only one thing amongst many things it takes into account.... as it is constantly monitoring all inputs against all "known" parameters, many many times per second. Make a physical change that stays within all of those parameters... the system should be ok. Make a physical change that can/does step outside them... the system won't be able to calculate for it. Match that physical change by altering the set parameters in the computer also... theoretically, it will work again as it should. Can that be done easily ?? Some things can (they may already be allowed for)... others need the highly skilled Engineers spending many hours writing the programming etc.

Hope this made some sense !!??

Dhru

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2014, 02:16 AM   #8685
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You are assuming No Fleet discounts on the XR8 (no evidence)...and presumably assuming because of limited production due to hand built engines perhaps?
If its limited production, and retail demand is high (as I would expect), it would make little business sense to be selling them at a significant discount. I'd be surprised if many of them find their way to HWP.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2014, 02:23 AM   #8686
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothefalcon View Post
Mathematical equations are calculated by the ABS/TCS/DSC computer based on known parameters which have been programmed in. Should one of those parameters be physically altered (say.. tyre size)... but not in the computer... then the calculations the computer is making won't match the inputs it's receiving
At the end of the day, all tyre size does is determine grip. If the system is capable of coping with variations in road surface grip (eg. cold, damp, etc), it should be able to cope with variation in tyre grip (eg. tyre size).
Old 04-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #8687
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
At the end of the day, all tyre size does is determine grip. If the system is capable of coping with variations in road surface grip (eg. cold, damp, etc), it should be able to cope with variation in tyre grip (eg. tyre size).
Not quite... the overall diameter (OD) of say a 245/35/19 = 654.1mm. A 275/35/19 = 675.1mm. A difference of 21mm (larger). A 275/30/19 = 647.6. A difference of -6.5mm (smaller). If you have different sized tyres front to rear... and the ODs are different... you will get different wheel speed readings front to rear. (a smaller dia tyre will spin faster/do more revolutions to go the same distance as a larger dia tyre) simillarly.. the taller the wall height is of the tyre.. the more it will flex when cornering.. producing different Yaw rates in the car as you corner, a difference which increases with increases in road speed. If the tyre size settings in the computer have not been altered to match... then it's not programmed to recognise the difference is ok... cant calculate for it.. therefore can't operate the way it should.
DSC can't see if the road is cold or wet etc... it relies on how the car acts, based purely on the calculations from all the input readings matching what is programmed into it. A very simple eg: wheel speed of "this" + steering angle of "that", should = a yaw rate of "this"... Do all these things calculate to match what It's been told to look for? (what's programmed in)... if ans. = "Yep!" and it won't intervene. However if ans. = "Nup!" it will intervene... and if that doesn't work to bring things back to what it knows... it will assume there is a problem with something in the system... and shut down, bringing all the lights up on the dash to let you know it needs something repaired.
It's so....o much more complex than this tho... it's a highly sophisticated system ! The Dude's that develop systems like this are Scientists IMPO... and should be applauded for what they do !

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #8688
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
If its limited production, and retail demand is high (as I would expect), it would make little business sense to be selling them at a significant discount. I'd be surprised if many of them find their way to HWP.
As has been previously stated, XR8s from the AUII 220 have always been limited production ie limited (hand made) production engines in the same way the current 335 is built, yet that did not stop the Police / HWP buying heaps of them (until the FG - with its crap brakes).

There are also Strategic Marketing Benefits for Ford with a HWP XR8. As incompetent and disconnected as Ford Marketing have been, even they could not fail to recognise the powerful marketing benefits gained by garnering solid Street Credibility from having the XR8 as the HWP "vehicle of choice".
Old 04-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #8689
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The difference between then and now is Ford are bleeding cash on this car, and with only a relatively short time in the market before its gone forever, there's little to be gained from the exposure. Ultimately, I'm assuming this model will be walking out of showrooms at close to RRP with little/no work by the dealer. Seriously, when was the last time Ford (not FPV/Tickford/etc) made a car this desirable?
2 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2014, 01:10 PM   #8690
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

[QUOTE=stevefreestyle;5204188]As has been previously stated, XR8s from the AUII 220 have always been limited production ie limited (hand made) production engines in the same way the current 335 is builtQUOTE]

The 335 would be significantly more expensive because of the added componentry (DOHC heads, 32 valves, VCT, that whopping supercharger) compared to the simple OHV Windsor.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #8691
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=DFB FGXR6;5204350]
Quote:
As has been previously stated, XR8s from the AUII 220 have always been limited production ie limited (hand made) production engines in the same way the current 335 is builtQUOTE]

The 335 would be significantly more expensive because of the added componentry (DOHC heads, 32 valves, VCT, that whopping supercharger) compared to the simple OHV Windsor.
The 335 does NOT have full VCT (which is standard on the 5.0 Coyote on which it is based) and BA/BF XR8 5.4 ALSO had Alloy DOHC. 32 Valve Heads - with a bespoke Trumpet/Ram-Tube Inlet Manifold in a bespoke Plenum. And the "whapping supercharger" is only a baby 1.9 Ltr - with no air or water cooled intercooler
Old 04-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #8692
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Your kidding yourself if you think HWP will use XR8's. Price alone will kill that idea right off the bat.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #8693
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Your kidding yourself if you think HWP will use XR8's. Price alone will kill that idea right off the bat.
National fleet discount and no GST, no luxury car tax either so it might not be too far over the fence for them.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #8694
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Put it this way, do the Police use SSV or SSV Redlines for their duties? No they use base spec SS.

FGX XR8 will be SSV Redline price, a premium model with supply constraints that will sell fine all by itself without what some are calling endorsement from the same people who will sting you with a fine for doing 2kph over the limit. Do Ford want that sort of advertising?
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #8695
responsef6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys who want an xr8

From what ive heard id place your order now, numbers being built are so limited, you may miss out. I'm hearing an average allocation of 1 per dealer per month.

Future Demand is being ignored, supply of parts for 8s is being predetermined and will not be changed if demand grows. Don't hate on me if you disagree, I dont profess to know and i could be wrong. my source is in the know and I'm only writing this to help fence sitters who may hold out for a LE version or a later build. Would hate fellow forum members to miss out
Old 04-09-2014, 07:32 PM   #8696
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Why do/did they use F6 models then in NSW & QLD?

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2014, 07:43 PM   #8697
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman View Post
Why do/did they use F6 models then in NSW & QLD?
They were/are some sort of specialised hoon squad as far as I know, most of them unmarked. I always thought they were a waste, XR6Ts with Brembos (in NSW) are essentially the same thing. I remember one time in Kings Cross, they lined 4 F6s up at an RMS inspection station, then when they left each of them got sideways pulling out and belted up the road. Pretty ironic.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #8698
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I doubt whether there would be any 'bargaining' or discounts on price for any XR8's , even to corporate buyers. Sure there will be some haggling on the other models but the XR8's will all sell at full RRP. Order now or miss out would be my guess.
XW UTE, XW FAIRMONT, XT GT, XT Fairmont, EF XR8, XH XR8 UTE, XH XR8 UTE, AU UTE, Renault Scenic, XF UTE, BA XR8 UTE, TERRITORY, Chrysler Voyager, WS FIESTA ZETEC,TERRITORY TITANIUM, BA UTE, Nissan Pathfinder, AU Falcon Forte, BA XR8 UTE.
xr8territory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2014, 09:45 PM   #8699
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They'll be built to order too I imagine.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2014, 09:50 PM   #8700
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Someone mentioned a few pages back that zf still list the high torque 6 speed, could this be (heaven forbid) good marketing by ford?

Spread the rumour that there are limited numbers of parts (or simply dont deny anything) and let the hype build.