Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #781
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l
just got my first bill after solar install 15 days of solar power used 1/2kwh per day more than last year 1 1/2 kwh per day mor than last bill this bill was $54 cheaper let the good times roll

ah! do I smell another pedantic meter watcher......I take my readings everyday without fail....sad really...

not quite so big a smile on my face lately with plenty of cloud cover but we only went down $1.18 yesterday running full heating in the house

still way in front from summer and that spring sun will be poking through soon........all good!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #782
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll be checking the meter, but only on weekends, until the days become longer again
So far, we've generated 12kWh since the system was installed on Tuesday.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #783
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

I've left my run a bit late, but I've put a deposit down on 16x 190W panels, with a 3.05kw inverter. With installation on a highset house, and splitting the panels over two surfaces, it's costing about $5300.

I've got a 4-6 week wait for the installation, but I'm locked in on the .44c price for feeding back into the grid.

I've made a start and took holidays, and have pressure cleaned most of the tiles, but I might have to pay someone to finish the job, and repoint the ridge-capping after I busted up my shoulder and hip last week. Not good timing on my part...
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #784
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bloody hell what did you do......take a tumble???

solar sounds good

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 01-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #785
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Sort of, Poppa - I found the eject button on my cycle. So much for being fit and healthy!
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #786
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ah! okay ....yeah! been there, done that

let us know how the solar go's

Old 01-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #787
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Can anyone tell me the costing difference between panel with an output of 190 compered to 250.

A mate was told that a 5kw would fit, but apparently now, they are saying it won't. Anyways, wondering if the switch to the bigger output panels are viable.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #788
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in some cases there is a "physical" size difference in the panels as well as a "yield" potential........take this into account when ordering a system

you would have to approach the retailer about the costing and physical size when pricing them

Old 01-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #789
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We got our first solar credit this week. 3kw system at 44c a kw we made $400 in solar -$260 bill = we made a 12 week profit of $160. At this rate our $7k investment will be paid off in 4 Years.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #790
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well done......you will produce more in summer so it may be paid off sooner than that

Old 02-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #791
Wah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
Can anyone tell me the costing difference between panel with an output of 190 compered to 250.

A mate was told that a 5kw would fit, but apparently now, they are saying it won't. Anyways, wondering if the switch to the bigger output panels are viable.
Conergy PH190 =1600x800
Conergy PP250 =1600x1000
Twin 3"system by the exhaust centre midvale.
Wah is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #792
Wah

250 is 3 times the price of a 190
Old 02-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #793
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah
250 is 3 times the price of a 190

I did some research on conergy panels a while back now but from memory the 190 were manufactured in china and the Conergy 250 panels were manufactured in EU.

I'm not sure if this is still the case but it would probably explain some of the price difference.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #794
Wah

190 and 230 in china, 250 in germany
Old 03-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #795
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

I managed to have my application sorted yesterday. Companies are getting hammered with bookings in QLD at the moment with this fit reduction. Some were already talking of lead times getting towards December.

Anyway I went with a 3.67kw system using Rec 245 panels (blk) and an Aurora inverter. I was going to go with a 5kw inverter but I wasn't keen on panels split in different areas of my roof. I ended up going with Energy Matters, a friend of mine had an install done by them and is very happy.

Their estimates show it should cover my $550 bill easily. I certainly hope so as I'm sure with the power price hikes it will become more like $650.

I also installed a viron p280 variable speed pool pump which consumes less than 400watts compared to the 1100watts my old pump used.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
Old 03-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #796
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Good work Matt, hope it all goes well for you. Im not in any rush to get the install done, gives me some time to get over moving and save the pennies for the system. I was recommend EM by a regular customer of mine and him and his friends were also very happy with the service.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #797
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well done......it should cover your bill providing you keep an eye on it

Energy Matters were absolutely flat out when I purchased my system off them so I had a few minor dramas with them

the contractors whom they use to install their systems were great

I would quite happily recommend energy matters

Old 03-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #798
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
well done......it should cover your bill providing you keep an eye on it

Energy Matters were absolutely flat out when I purchased my system off them so I had a few minor dramas with them

the contractors whom they use to install their systems were great

I would quite happily recommend energy matters
I havent read this entire thread so I'm not sure if you've already mentioned the dramas you've had. Anything that would help Jamie and I keep an eye on with our installs?

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
Old 03-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #799
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nothing that would stop me from using them again

the sales staff were just a little "fresh" overworked and didnt know much about what they were selling

they had me taking multiple photos of the inside of my roof space, then losing them so I would have to redo them, submit them only to find the person I was dealing with doesnt work there anymore and they have no access to his email account so all paperwork would have to be resubmitted then they wouldnt answer my emails for anything up to a month and I had to ring them time and time again only to find the one that was "handling my case" was absent or in a meeting and he/she will ring back.....which they never did

also they wanted me to place the extra purlins (a mongrel job) normally this is done by the installer

got within a month of placing the panels and I worked out they wouldnt physically fit on the house roof despite me submitting multiple scale drawings of my roof from all angles

so I decided to go with the workshop roof where once again I had to photograph and submit multiple photographs of existing purlins and my meter's as well as scale drawings

they didnt supply a PV SEG number until the ETSA electrician refused to place the new smart meter......it took a lot of cursing from me to them to get the number it was at this stage I actually cancelled the order and ordered all workers off the property, I figured going solar wasnt worth all the rubbish

I purchased another panel for the array but wanted 2 more.....they sold me the first but refused to give me a reason to supply me with another even though the space is there and the inverter would take it they simply said "no"....still dont know why.....very strange

everybody else that I have spoken to who has had solar placed merely rang up, paid the money and the installers did the lot

I'm not sure who you dealt with but Jonathon Williams was the pick of the lot there........but with the benefit of an install and my finger in a lot of others the process has become a lot easier

I have recommended Energy Matters for quite a few installs around here with no problems whatsoever

Old 03-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #800
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx
Good work Matt, hope it all goes well for you. Im not in any rush to get the install done, gives me some time to get over moving and save the pennies for the system. I was recommend EM by a regular customer of mine and him and his friends were also very happy with the service.
Have they given you an install date? Or did you tell them to hang off till it suits you? They have given me an an install date which is 8 weeks away.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
Old 03-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #801
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

I just told them to get the application in and we would work the install date out in the future. I will probably look at doing it next year now just depends on what else I have to fork out for first. I need a around 100mtrs of fencing and a driveway first up. as long as its all installed by June 30th 2013 then the FIT will still be 44c. Im just waiting for the paperwork from Energex to confirm whether we can have a 5kw system on the scheme or bump us to something smaller.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #802
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Panels going on roof as I type, 250w ones, upgraded again from when I purchased.
Equals less panels and room taken up on roof, so I 'sopse that's a good thing.
Sparkies here in a couple of days to hook up the zots...

Ed
Old 03-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #803
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well done......should be all worth it in a couple of days

Old 03-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #804
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, 2 weeks have gone by since my system was installed by Solaris Solar in Brisbane, on the 14th June. Seemed to go without a hitch, and got my ESS that was missing from my ebay inverter 3 days later.
4kw peak system, cranked out 14 kw/h on the 1st day.
HOWEVER.
Rang Energex on the 27th as i was wondering when my smart meter would be installed, was told that the electrician had nominated the wrong tariff on the paper work, new paper work completed on the 19th, and i would be tied into grid by the 3rd July.
Got a missed call from energex yesterday, the guys came out to install but the tariff was incorrect!!! So it is being rescheduled for the 13th.
A month after install it might be connected...

Can i expect my retailer to be crediting me for FIT as soon as smart meter starts ticking, or will it have to wait till next qtr?
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #805
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfr101

Can i expect my retailer to be crediting me for FIT as soon as smart meter starts ticking, or will it have to wait till next qtr?

Until the Smart Meter is hooked up your meter will be turning backwards, so you will be getting a credit.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #806
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in a sense yes but you wont know until you have the correct meter installed

as stated above it will turn backwards but credit will be in affect from start up

Old 04-07-2012, 07:26 AM   #807
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Turn Backwards ?
Mine is digital and has two numbers.
"Net Feed in", and "Used from Grid".
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #808
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
Turn Backwards ?

Okay, newer homes have electronic meters. Up until about the early 2000's we had 2 meters with a pair of wheels, which wound backwards.

Pretty exciting when they are whirling backwards at 5kwh lol!

Sorry Mate, I don't know where you stand, but remember between now and 2028, what happens in the current few weeks won't mean a whole lot.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #809
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
ah! do I smell another pedantic meter watcher......I take my readings everyday without fail....sad really...

not quite so big a smile on my face lately with plenty of cloud cover but we only went down $1.18 yesterday running full heating in the house

still way in front from summer and that spring sun will be poking through soon........all good!
sorry for the late reply gave up on watching it after 2 weeks as im a bit ocd now i just watch for the bill and i never thought i would do that lol
Old 04-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #810
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
Turn Backwards ?

I can only comment on what is the "standard" meter here which has a rotating disc.....it is this that will turn backwards

if you already have a smart meter installed then all is good

"sorry for the late reply gave up on watching it after 2 weeks as im a bit ocd now i just watch for the bill and i never thought i would do that lol"

I watch mine like a hawk as I'm constantly coming under "questioning"

one thing about waiting for the bill now is that it is an account of what THEY owe you!......gotta love that!