Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #691
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
good news.....production sounds reasonable.....when energex places you "online" will this cover your power consumption
More than enough. We average 9-12 kwh per day, it put out 14 total yesterday.

Bring on summer!!
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #692
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good to hear......summer should see your production increase exponentially

ours is barely covering at the moment but we have swags in reserve from summer

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #693
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah young couple here with a commandant that is big on minimal power consumption, so the game is on to get the feed in/usage ratio as rewarding as possible.
Then it will be how do we gain the credit from retailer while paying as little tax as possible on it??? Suggestions?
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2012, 02:44 AM   #694
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

well mine is all done and up and running ..i fly home tomorrow night so 1st thing during the day i will be checking it over and then work out how to read the meter and see what im using and making
any tips on how to read it etc
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #695
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

We have about 20 houses in our street and I'd say 75% of us now have solar panels.....
Old 20-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #696
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i went to a solar place a couple of weeks ago, i got held up in melb traffic and arrived almost on closing, so details where bugger all, however one of the guys said he`d come out as he lived close and check my roof to see what size system would be appropriate, anyway i i did`nt see the bloke,
but i got a phone call a few days later saying a 1.5 kw could be fitted for $3500, which seems a little on the pricey side according to some of the posted prices on here, i also asked at the initial meeting if i had a bigger system if i put more power back into the grid how that works, do you get a credit or funds back, his reply if i got it right was that you get nothing back, the credits are no longer available? is this a victoria thing or certain area thing?, it sounds a bit dodgey to me.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #697
bartaxr8

I had my first full day of production today from my 3.5KW system. It made 8.1 kwh which I don't think is too bad as I live in West Gipsland and we are very close to the shortest day of the year. At least all the panels are still attached to the roof after last nights earth tremor.
bartaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #698
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

with 2 days crap weather raining etc my 2 day old 3kw system, my inverter says i have made a huge total of 10.3 kwh and a huge 5.278kwh today in Perth ....come on sun come out so i can see what it will do
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

10.567sec for the strip
Old 20-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #699
wrexed03

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
i went to a solar place a couple of weeks ago, i got held up in melb traffic and arrived almost on closing, so details where bugger all, however one of the guys said he`d come out as he lived close and check my roof to see what size system would be appropriate, anyway i i did`nt see the bloke,
but i got a phone call a few days later saying a 1.5 kw could be fitted for $3500, which seems a little on the pricey side according to some of the posted prices on here, i also asked at the initial meeting if i had a bigger system if i put more power back into the grid how that works, do you get a credit or funds back, his reply if i got it right was that you get nothing back, the credits are no longer available? is this a victoria thing or certain area thing?, it sounds a bit dodgey to me.
Mik he's talking through his ar......
Anything you export you will get payed for via a credit.
I received a 900+cheque 2 bills ago and am in credit still another several hundred dollars.
My system is a 4.84kw just over 12 months old now but i am getting payed the 68cent per kw as in PFIT.
Its changed now to TFIT they pay less now but you should be able to wipe your power bill and possibly get something extra if you put a decent size system on your roof..
wrexed03 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #700
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ah! you see folks......from little things big things grow

dont expect full production just yet the sun has to climb a little higher (unless you have the correct angle for winter in which case summer will be bad news)

$3,500 sounds a bit dear Mik.....gotta be better deals than that around.....I reckon I seen a 2.5 a while ago for sub $3,000

the problem (one of many) about taking the credit out is that it is taxable income......the only ones that are exempt are aged pensioners

I've written to a few pollies about it but no-one wants to know, didn't even answer me......to me it is prejudice, carers dont get the tax relief nor dole recipients

not fair humphrey bear!!!

our meter reader reckons about 60% of the town has solar now and growing everyday

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 20-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #701
Winter XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When the electricity prices go up inline with the introduction of the carbon tax, will the feed in tariff's rise to compensate aswell or stay at 6c in WA??
Winter XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #702
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter XR8
When the electricity prices go up inline with the introduction of the carbon tax, will the feed in tariff's rise to compensate aswell or stay at 6c in WA??
its 7c in WA and that is the million $ question but i recon synergy will leave it at 7c ...which is ****, it should at least be a 1to1 for us who dont have the 47c or 27c contracts

10.567sec for the strip
Old 20-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #703
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Maybe with the massive uptake in solar it might fix some issues, a few years ago when we had a really hot summer, the power would drop out all the time because the grid couldn't handle everyones air conditioners being on at once.

I'm hoping the solar uptake removes the strain on the grid
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2012, 11:36 PM   #704
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for the reply`s wrexed03 and Poppa Smurf, i`ll do a bit more homework.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #705
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when the prices rise the tariffs will probably stay the same......we are at the mercy of governmental policies which of course are governed themselves by magnates and corporations all wanting to keep the money flowing into their pockets

the best I can suggest is to talk to your energy retailer about a better deal

your tariff is made up of two factors and also varies widely state to state

but basically government pays "X" amount and your retailer pay's "Y"

the amount that is paid by government cannot be varied except by them but if you have more than one retailer you can "up the ante" by threatening to go to another retailer and they will or possibly will up their input, they did with me anyway

I'd like to make a correction from my previous post regarding the solar "credit" scheme and withdrawing funds......I did actually receive a few emails back from various members of parliament stating that the scheme as it stands (non taxable for aged pensioners only) was unfair and that it would be raised at the next question time (this was stated by Bob Browns office and a couple of others)

I watched a couple of question times after that and it was never raised nor spoken about........so at this stage any income derived from solar credits is deemed "taxable" income and must be declared

the solar has taken a lot of pressure off mainstream generators and should ease if not take away the need for blackouts......but we will still be penalised for it by lower F.I.T.'S and higher prices

I fully agree with a 1-1 feed in tariff scheme......the only problem I see is that the energy companies then take our "green energy" and sell it on at a higher rate.....do we get the "green" rate or standard "dirty" rate?

a bit of news from my retailer as well, I just received my second account........over $500 in credit now!......been giving the heater a hammering as well......very pleased

Old 21-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #706
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Maybe with the massive uptake in solar it might fix some issues, a few years ago when we had a really hot summer, the power would drop out all the time because the grid couldn't handle everyones air conditioners being on at once.

I'm hoping the solar uptake removes the strain on the grid
It already has, last summer in Melb we did not have 1 black out.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #707
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Feed in Tariffs will stay the same.

The gov are in the process of decreasing them in every state of aus.

Example.

Vic Pre 30 sept 2011 PFIT was 66 cents, now it is TFIT 25 cents.

NSW. I think around october 2010 year 60 cent. April 2011 20 cents and after that date it is 0 cents. (I think these are correct)

QLD it has always been 44 cents.
Old 21-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #708
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi all,

Sorry I've been absent for a little while.

Here are some close-ups of some Trina modules, and I'll explain what to look for physically on the panels:

This here is a Trina 220W Monocrystalline module. It is actually a model which was superceded when Trina made a recent breakthrough with the manufacture of polycrystalline cells, making their Poly modules 250W and the same size as this 220W mono.

The thick silver line on the surface of this cell is the busbar. When shopping fopr panels, when you look at the cell up close, these busbars should be completely free of any bubbles or impurities. These impurities become cell hot-spots when they are actually on the roof, which reduces the efficiency of the cell, thus bringing down the efficiency of the panel as a whole. Some of the cheaper panels have such excessive impurities it gets the impure area on the cell so hot that it actually pops, and looks like someone has shot your panel... which is not good at all!

The other difference with high or low quality panels is the glass. If there is some light shining on the solar panel, it should reflect in a kind of hazy, smokey way. This glass is the Prism glass, meaning that less light is reflected when light comes into contact with the glass. It also greatly increases the cells performance in low light conditions such as dawn or dusk; when the sun is low in the sky, more light is refracted onto the surface of the cell.

These above characteristics are the basics when looking for the difference between a cheap or a high quality panel, there are a lot more details to consider and it can even come right down to the workmanship of the person installing the panels.

I've also asked AFF admin to organise a group but and will get something to them this weekend, and send that off for approval. Get the Ford guys to go green!!
Old 21-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #709
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here is another close-up of the prism glass and busbar

Old 21-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #710
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also just found out a little while ago via AGL, the average rate you will expect to pay in Melbourne post June 30 is going to be 27-29c per kWh... Everyones bills are going to go sky high, most people aren't trying to think about it though!!!
Old 21-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #711
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just e-mailed the installer and we should have ours in next week. Unfortunately with this lovely winter weather we're having at the moment, he can't guarantee a day just yet. At least my rainwater tank is filling back up again. I must look at changing my 9kl tank to a 22kl tank, but that's for another thread...
Old 21-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #712
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In NSW some suppliers offer 6c FIT, I heard rumour that someone offers 12c.

Basically the elect retailer does this to ensure that they have enough "green" electricity to supply to those that elect to have it.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #713
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

funnily enough rainwater tanks are "on the list' for next purchase.....got to hire a large crane to get them over the shed

our array was installed in heavy drizzle

Old 21-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #714
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
In NSW some suppliers offer 6c FIT, I heard rumour that someone offers 12c.

Basically the elect retailer does this to ensure that they have enough "green" electricity to supply to those that elect to have it.
That's because retailers are starting to wise up and pay higher than the minimum FiT rate; same will happen here in Melbourne when the FiT rate drops, some retailers may offer deals for a 1 for 1 FiT rate still
Old 21-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #715
Rastus
XY,XC,XEx2,XA,EF,AU,BA,XY

My 4KW install was completed yesterday, just in time for the shortest day of the year today! I had a quick look last night and it made only 5kw for the day. Can't say what time they finished the install though. Today will be intestesting, it's very ordinary out there.
Old 21-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #716
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagg
That's because retailers are starting to wise up and pay higher than the minimum FiT rate; same will happen here in Melbourne when the FiT rate drops, some retailers may offer deals for a 1 for 1 FiT rate still
In Victoria if you go on the SFIT tariff you get dollar for dollar, just most people take up TFIT/PFIT. All retailers have this option.

If you want SFIT you need to get the solar installer to put this on the paperwork. When the retailer submits the request to the Distributor they will configure the meter for SFIT instead of TFIT.
Old 21-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #717
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
our array was installed in heavy drizzle
I don't think there will be too many installers crazy enough to go on roofs in SA today
Old 21-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #718
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ah! no.....not today.....she's a might heavier than when ours was placed on...

produced 600 watts so far today...not a good day for covering costs!

Old 21-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #719
Rastus
XY,XC,XEx2,XA,EF,AU,BA,XY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastus
My 4KW install was completed yesterday, just in time for the shortest day of the year today! I had a quick look last night and it made only 5kw for the day. Can't say what time they finished the install though. Today will be intestesting, it's very ordinary out there.
1.01KW today it's generated. I'm not sure the sun has come out at any stage today! Dark & drizzle all day.
Old 21-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #720
stevejg33
Classic not Plastic

Red face Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Quote:
I've just discovered this thread, interesting reading. I'm in Adelaide, have had my solar on for just over a year (bought a 6kw system, I live with two females who can't understand the same switch that turns the light on also turns it off), in 12 months we went from bills that were between $800-$1100 a quarter to being around $600 in credit.
We get the 44 cent government feed in + 6 cents from Truenergy, got a letter yesterday that from 1st July the 6 cent credit is increasing to 9.8 cents giving us a total infeed price of 53.8 cents
stevejg33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post