Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #631
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagg

Example 2

FiT is 10c/kWh, purchase rate is 20c/kWh

You sell 10kWh, you have made $1.

You purchase 5kWh, you have spent $1.

This method will mean that you will need a much larger system to offset your electricity bill, meaning a much larger system much larger upfront cost etc.
Whilst I see what you are getting at here, I think the conclusions may stop some from choosing Solar.

In NSW we pay 24c + GST (ish)
When there was a FIT of 66c (about 18 months ago) I could not cost justify the install.
Now with a FIT of 6c I can.
With the 66c FIT I was costing at the two "sweet spots" in the pricing - 1.5 kw, and 3.5 kw. The 3.5 KW had a slightly faster payback, but was a whole lot more expensive. the payback was over 6 years, with a buy in of over 3,000.

Now as time has progressed I purchased a 2.1 kw system for under $2000 with a payback under 5 years (prolly under 4)

So in my case the lower FIT is more easily justified as the install costs have responded to the drop in demand caused by the decrease in FIT.

Last edited by EgoFG; 28-05-2012 at 12:22 PM.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #632
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So now for a couple of questions for someone in the industry.

I already have a 2.1 KW solar system with a Net Meter.

What is approx cost if I add a 1.5 kW with its own inverter BEFORE June 30 ?
What is approx cost if I add a 1.5 kW with its own inverter AFTER June 30 ?

Can the second inverter feed in to the same Phase, in fact be junctioned to the same feed in wire as my existing system ? (this is to ensure that I can continue to meter the joint effect of the two Solar Arrays using my existing Wattson)
Old 31-05-2012, 12:42 AM   #633
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

yeah stagg anymore info pic would be great

and the new rebate is $450 less, haha there are a few solar places that have put there price up more than that here in WA haha
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #634
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
So now for a couple of questions for someone in the industry.

I already have a 2.1 KW solar system with a Net Meter.

What is approx cost if I add a 1.5 kW with its own inverter BEFORE June 30 ?
What is approx cost if I add a 1.5 kW with its own inverter AFTER June 30 ?

Can the second inverter feed in to the same Phase, in fact be junctioned to the same feed in wire as my existing system ? (this is to ensure that I can continue to meter the joint effect of the two Solar Arrays using my existing Wattson)

mate I'm not an expert here simply a user but hopefully one will come along and give you better advice.......meantime this advice will bump the thread

if you have a 2.1 kilowatt system and want to upgrade then you could upgrade your existing inverter to suit the expected upgraded size and still stay within the same wiring configuration you have now

however if you have a 2.1 kw system installed and you have a 3kw inverter then you could easily upgrade to a 3.5kw system now without any upgrades to your inverter

my system is 3.5kw and runs quite happily on a 3 kw inverter

system sizes vary greatly within state boundaries but I would advise to just shop around

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #635
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you are looking to upgrade to more panels. Just maken sure you speak to your retailer first as you may lose your current Feed in tariff.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #636
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whoops, I left out two factors that would mean that a second inverter is the go.

My current inverter is at capacity.
The second 1.5 kW will be North East, whereas the existing is North West.
I am guessing that to throw out my existing Inverter and go for a dual tracker 4kW would be prohibitively expensive compared to adding a second 1.5kW inverter.

And thanks for the tip on Feed in, but I run a net meter - the FIT will not change from 6c.
Old 31-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #637
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
If you are looking to upgrade to more panels. Just maken sure you speak to your retailer first as you may lose your current Feed in tariff.
this is correct any extra infeed will void your original contract and lose your original FIT

Quote:
Whoops, I left out two factors that would mean that a second inverter is the go.

I am guessing that to throw out my existing Inverter and go for a dual tracker 4kW would be prohibitively expensive compared to adding a second 1.5kW inverter.

And thanks for the tip on Feed in, but I run a net meter - the FIT will not change from 6c.

you would (I think) be better off treating the second install as a "new" install with new inverter

have a word with your installer to make the whole thing neat and tidy, I.E. inverters next to each other and running off the same distribution board

the dual tracker, I think, is overpriced

if you wait till after the June cutoff I reckon there will be some blinding specials as the fly by nighters leave town

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 31-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #638
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

PV systems operate at their most efficient when the max DC input is reached, i.e. a 3kW array with a 3kW inverter would make more power than a 3kW array with a 4kW inverter. There's no disadvantage from adding a second inverter, except for different peoples opinions on the aesthetics of two inverters; I'm not fussed about the looks of two inverters though.

If your current FiT rate is not the premium tariff then you wouldn't really be at any loss at all
Old 31-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #639
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf

if you wait till after the June cutoff I reckon there will be some blinding specials as the fly by nighters leave town
Careful with those specials, a lot of customers will have invalid warranties.

If anyone has heard of Edson, they went into administration a few days ago and thousands of people now have invalid Edson warranties...

Same happened with Solar Shop, Neco and Beyond building Energy; all their customers now have invalid warranties.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #640
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this morning I seen a 2 kw system advertised for just under $2,000 from a "reliable" dealership

that price I personally wouldn't worry too much about warranty.......most of the systems sold today will not have the agencies around in 25 years time if something goes wrong

if you get 5 years out of it then it owes you nothing

who knows what will be around in even ten years time

new breakthroughs everyday

Old 01-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #641
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So My findings are this:

a 1.5kW system that is selling now for about $1500 as a first install, will cost $3000 now as a "second" install.

And after July 1 ....

$3000.

The way the bonus plan works is not planned to change for those wanting a subsequent install.

But my numbers do not make sense until a subsequent install of 1.5kW drops to $1500. - So wait I will !
Old 01-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #642
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But my numbers do not make sense until a subsequent install of 1.5kW drops to $1500. - So wait I will !
Yeah what most solar guys won't tell anyone is that solar panel technology is going the way of the mobile phone... Anyone have a mobile from 10 years ago and compare it to their current phone?
Old 02-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #643
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

woo hoo not long now eurosolar called doing my install thursday am cant wait
Old 02-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #644
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah what most solar guys won't tell anyone is that solar panel technology is going the way of the mobile phone... Anyone have a mobile from 10 years ago and compare it to their current phone?
So the new solar panels are going to be dedicated Facebook and Twitter appliances that can occasionally be used to generate electricity........great.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #645
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l
woo hoo not long now eurosolar called doing my install thursday am cant wait

good to hear, not long now......mine sent out a whole 1 kilowatt yesterday!

produced 3 kw in total

solar panel technology is a strange beast.......outputs have increased but really they haven't changed all that much in the last ten years

they are a very basic design and one that I think will be around in a similar form for a long time to come similar to motor vehicles.......just continue to tweek the bells and whistles

dont know what the next "breakthrough" will be.......though I'd like shares in it now

Old 02-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #646
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf

dont know what the next "breakthrough" will be.......though I'd like shares in it now
Laminate on solar panels from Nanosolar

Spray on solar cells; in California but not sure of the company name

Current most efficient solar panels available worldwide manufactured by Boeing, multi-layer solar cells, five or six solar cells stacked up like a sandwich, which all let through lesser amounts of light so that by the time the light reaches the lowest cell the efficiency is somewhere around 80-90%. They're the solar panels used on satellites, but the cost is somewhere around the $650 per watt USD

What I'm excited about is some Australian companies are about to begin manufacturing super efficient concentrator photovoltaic cells, where light is concentrated onto one small photovoltaic cell which operates at super high temperatures, and one 4cm x 4cm cell produced anywhere from 15 to 20W

For the concentrator cell its not to be confused with the current power tower solar systems, which use mirrors to focus heat onto water to turn into steam and drive a turbine (although that is more efficient than all available solar panels today but only really works on a large scale basis).
Old 02-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #647
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmm!....... interesting times ahead!

Old 07-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #648
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

system installed today took 3 hours now we will see fingers crossed that i did my sums right damm im excited
Old 07-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #649
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well done......let the savings begin!

Old 07-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #650
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Quote:
system installed today took 3 hours now we will see fingers crossed that i did my sums right damm im excited
still waiting to find out what days they will fit mine
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #651
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Quote:
PV systems operate at their most efficient when the max DC input is reached, i.e. a 3kW array with a 3kW inverter would make more power than a 3kW array with a 4kW inverter. There's no disadvantage from adding a second inverter, except for different peoples opinions on the aesthetics of two inverters; I'm not fussed about the looks of two inverters though.

If your current FiT rate is not the premium tariff then you wouldn't really be at any loss at all
Interesting, we're just about to order up a 5kW installation but were going to upsize the inverter for expansion room (21 panels going in but physical space for up to 38). Is there a efficiency degradation as the difference between panel capacity and inverter capacity widens?

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #652
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You still need to wait for your meter to be installed. Your solar is not working at the moment.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #653
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't agree with the current solar push. I would prefer that solar be constructed on a community basis and use the existing grid. To me it's the same as everyone getting a small coal fired generator in their garage and producing their own power from that. I reckon history will show it as a waste of resources.
39ClevoUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #654
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

local attitude.......regional effect....

governments, local, state and federal wont do anything so it is up to the individual to place in motion that which they think is relevant

Old 07-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #655
BHDOGS
Banned

I heard people who dont have solar power are subsiding those that do is this correct?
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #656
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

Quote:
Hopefully it won't take months to actually be hooked up to the grid, but so far solar has been fantastic.

Daily: Tornado MY20 GTI

Retired: Venom BA XR8 - build thread
genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #657
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Ghia
I don't agree with the current solar push. I would prefer that solar be constructed on a community basis and use the existing grid. To me it's the same as everyone getting a small coal fired generator in their garage and producing their own power from that. I reckon history will show it as a waste of resources.

Accept we aren't burning coal! 100% renewable, otherwise wasted, resource.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #658
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
You still need to wait for your meter to be installed. Your solar is not working at the moment.
digital meter was reprogramed by etsa 2 weeks ago cost $88 system working already 6 hrs today generated 8.33kwh exported 6.2kwh 3hrs overcast 3hrs sunny 24c feed in 5% discount on imported power through agl (4kw system 16x 250kw monocrystaline panels 5kw inverter) all good i hope
Old 07-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #659
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
I heard people who dont have solar power are subsiding those that do is this correct?
yep thats the way it works
Old 07-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #660
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
Accept we aren't burning coal! 100% renewable, otherwise wasted, resource.
surely a large array is far more efficient (either in terms of generation, or in terms of expense and extent of install) than individual systems?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post