Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-10-2005, 08:14 AM   #31
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Thats weird, I have no doubt in my mind that mine is getting off the line to 100 considerably quicker. Theres been a few people in my car who have said exactly the same thing.
Bring on Heathcote, all will be clear then when I see the 1/8th times. That will tell the tale of 0-100 in my car for sure.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2005, 09:37 AM   #32
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My guess, is that you'd need some traction. Get a set of 2nd hand 17" rims, with some sticky 235 rubber. And you should be able to put more power to the ground. Is the stall making you smoke em up or...?
Old 06-10-2005, 05:28 PM   #33
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Thats weird, I have no doubt in my mind that mine is getting off the line to 100 considerably quicker. Theres been a few people in my car who have said exactly the same thing.
Bring on Heathcote, all will be clear then when I see the 1/8th times. That will tell the tale of 0-100 in my car for sure.
I can confirm that Caspers XR6 with stallie is more then a match for your average camry at the lights. :P

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2005, 06:00 PM   #34
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
My guess, is that you'd need some traction. Get a set of 2nd hand 17" rims, with some sticky 235 rubber. And you should be able to put more power to the ground. Is the stall making you smoke em up or...?
I second that opinion. Plus a prepared track surface is generally more grippy than your average public street.

The GTech may not lie, but it's not telling the full story either...lol

Have a little faith, I reckon you'll do pretty well at WSID on the 5th Nov ;)

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2005, 07:39 PM   #35
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
Well I looked at my back tyres this morning and they were like Kojac. I went in and got 2 new back dunlop sports sp300 tyres.Still wheelspins though not as bad.
I have faith.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2005, 08:14 PM   #36
loxxr6
XB in parts...

If you have the money get some dumpies. Don't kill your road tyres (or just avoid burn outs on the day).

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2005, 08:51 PM   #37
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

good advice, nothing better then having tyres that are meant to be sacrificed to the gods of the track.. makes for a VERY fun day.

Old 06-10-2005, 10:38 PM   #38
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
Is the stall making you smoke em up or...?
Its smoking like a bushfire mate.I got these tyres today and they smoke even more.It is like I am on marbles.I think that I am not going to buy an lsd but snow chains for it.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 06-10-2005, 10:44 PM   #39
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Well, not sure what your doing Stav but unless I want to my tyres have no grip issues on launch. I have fiddled a bit with pressures and different launch styles (yes, even an auto has different options) and can get it off the line very quickly with little more than a chirp if anything at all.
Get an LSD, I'm sure it will make the world of difference. Hell, I'm considering shorter diff gears now as the launch is still not as hard as it could be and theres plenty of grip left to handle it.

Old 07-10-2005, 02:53 PM   #40
Moya

Casper, how much did you pay for your 3.45 & LSD? Just so I know where I stand when I go shopping.

Stock AU2 EECV is 3.7 yeah?
Moya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 03:25 PM   #41
EFFalcon
Last warning

caspers car had a 3.45LSD standard.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 03:37 PM   #42
Moya

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
caspers car had a 3.45LSD standard.
Oh ok, so whats the going rate for a LSD centre? My AU has the diff whine, so I wanna get that fixed and also get an LSD.
Moya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 05:10 PM   #43
Nik

$1300 max should get you a lsd center and what ever diff gears you want fitted .
i had a lsd and 3.45 gears fitted to our au a few months ago and it cost around $1200
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 11:01 PM   #44
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik
$1300 max should get you a lsd center and what ever diff gears you want fitted .
i had a lsd and 3.45 gears fitted to our au a few months ago and it cost around $1200
Sounds about right fro a drive in, drive out price.

Old 08-10-2005, 12:02 AM   #45
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i might sound dumb.. but what is a hi stall converter and what does it actually do...can there be any downfalls from installing one?

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2005, 08:15 AM   #46
Stav
Smile

An automatic transmision is coupled to the crankshaft via the flywheel.When you take off the revs go to about 2000 rpm and the car gets off the line.The stall/torque converter is the device which locks the power to back wheels.

A high stall converter will get you off the line quicker by allowing the revs to go higher before lockup and get more power out.

The downside is that fuel economy gets very bad .Going up a hill the car revs much higher.You risk wrecking the transmission because of the excess heat.

When you drive the car at 60 kmph you lose the acceleration you had with the standard converter.At 60 I press it to move and it just keeps revving until it hits 2700 rpm and feels doughy.At medium throttle its a different story it takes off harder then feels quite uninspiring because the gears change and must go through the rev range to keep the car going.

You have to sum up if having an unresponsive car on the street that uses alot of fuel at normal driving and alot more at freeway speeds is worth it.
Couple that with the fact that you need a cooler due to the fact that there is so much slippage from converter cooking the transmission oil.

Other guys here get limp home mode from their converters after stalling it up 2 to 3 times.I have been lucky with that.I have no cooler connected yet and do as many stalls as I want have no issues at all. I was incredibly lucky.I know that the more efficient a converter is that it produces less heat.If this is the case with mine then it is working well.A big cooler cannot make up for the innefficiency of a coverter and the resulting heat.

I have always tried to be honest in my observations and been shot down a few times but dont give a crap.This is how a stall coverter is.Personally as a ford forums friend get some diff gears first...like 3.7's ..stallie is more a drags orientated mod

Last edited by Stav; 08-10-2005 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:52 PM   #47
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

So is the term "lockup" the point at which the shaft to the wheels starts turning from the force of the engine? So the more turning force happening before it locks up, the harder it's going to drive the wheels / accellerate the car when it begins? I guess this is why you have to get the revs higher for it to move like it did before the new one. I hope I'm right?

How does a torque convertor work when reversing the car?

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2005, 03:57 PM   #48
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I wonder if one day you could get a torque convertor that has something like rigid yet variable / selectable vane angles and separation for extra economy or performance modes.

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Old 08-10-2005, 05:12 PM   #49
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
I wonder if one day you could get a torque convertor that has something like rigid yet variable / selectable vane angles and separation for extra economy or performance modes.
I dont see why not.I do believe that a techno head would be able to raise stall speed via ecu.

Old 08-10-2005, 06:08 PM   #50
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
I think thats called a clutch, lol ;)

Yep converter works in reverse as well. It's a hydraulic coupling (and the only coupling) between the engine and gearbox, so there is no drive to the rear wheels without it.

5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Old 08-10-2005, 06:13 PM   #51
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
I dont see why not.I do believe that a techno head would be able to raise stall speed via ecu.
The only external factor that will measurably affect the 'stall' speed of a converter is the engine torque. ECU can't directly affect that, unless the engine wasn't tuned properly in the first place...

Old 08-10-2005, 06:18 PM   #52
Dauphin
Irregular member

Useless, I thought that the thing was purely a mechanical fluid drive and reacts to power / torque only. Are you saying that someone can hack the AU to change it to react like a hi-stall one?

XR8Ute, I'm just a bit lost as to how the blades inside the unit can pickup movement going the other way when they are angled in one direction. I think I don't properly understand it - back to school for me.

Old 08-10-2005, 06:23 PM   #53
xr8ute
Back on the road

The engine, and transmission input shaft (and hence Torque Converter) still turn in the same direction. It's in the middle of the gearbox that things get turned around for Reverse gear...

Old 08-10-2005, 06:29 PM   #54
Dauphin
Irregular member

Of course, I didn't think to check that little fact - it's before the gearbox.

Old 08-10-2005, 06:35 PM   #55
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Useless, I thought that the thing was purely a mechanical fluid drive and reacts to power / torque only. Are you saying that someone can hack the AU to change it to react like a hi-stall one?
No, not possible with current converters BUT you can hack the ECU (In fact the wires to the ECU) to remove the 'lockup' feature.

Old 08-10-2005, 06:40 PM   #56
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

The transmission solenoids are electronicly controlled by the ecu but the toque converter isn't so other than changing the lock up point there is not much you can do to it.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2005, 07:04 PM   #57
Stav
Smile

Well my theory in my mind was that the lockup will only occur when line pressure has increased enough for lock up to occur. Low line pressure may allow higher stall speed.How right I am I am not sure.I do know that some research on my side has led me to some interesting theories further on the electronic 4 speed.I will test them on 5 thnovember.If my new mini circuits do not work then there is no need to tell anyone.

Old 08-10-2005, 07:30 PM   #58
xr8ute
Back on the road

Torque converter lockup is completely electronic (turned on/off by solenoid), and is unaffected by line pressure. Line pressure is hydraulic pressure inside the gearbox, not the converter.

Also, be careful not to confuse the torque converter lockup feature with converter stall, they are two totally different things.

Old 08-10-2005, 07:35 PM   #59
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
Torque converter lockup is completely electronic (turned on/off by solenoid), and is unaffected by line pressure. Line pressure is hydraulic pressure inside the gearbox, not the converter.

Also, be careful not to confuse the torque converter lockup feature with converter stall, they are two totally different things.
Exactly correct.

Old 08-10-2005, 07:43 PM   #60
Dauphin
Irregular member

I was a little confused by the terms "lockup" and "stall" but now I understand.

Stall occurs when the fluid drive system starts to turn the wheels using the turbine / impellers.

Lockup is when the wheels are turning enough (after stall occurs) that it can lockup a clutch to finish with the fluid system and directly connect the engine to the wheels like a manual.

Then it goes back into fluid drive mode when coming back to a stop or slow speeds.