Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-01-2005, 10:03 PM   #31
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

I had a stupid guy going off at me while in stopped traffic. I had no idea why he was so abusive as I didn't do anything wrong. I and any other person would at the time be quite concerned as my non-response only mad this guy madder. I was forced to close my window and lock my doors. When the traffic started moving, I pulled over to the side to see what superman's problem was. He was very mad, swearing and carrying on and there were people and kids nearby. I pulled out my badge and told him to pull his head in or we can talk about it at the copshop. Straight away, old mate clammed up and walked away as if nothing had happened.

My point? It seems eveyone here is having a go at off duty coppers doing on duty stuff. What if the superman in my case did what he did to a member of the general public. It may have turned into a nasty road rage incident and who knows what would've happened. I'm sure the innocent party would have welcomed an off duty cop any day.
Old 24-01-2005, 10:18 PM   #32
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
It seems eveyone here is having a go at off duty coppers doing on duty stuff.
Not from me. Should be encouraged. 99.99% of law abiding citizens would agree. Just don't go getting agro if I don't pull over when you flash your badge :ymca:

Last edited by FFOracing; 24-01-2005 at 10:20 PM.
FNQracing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2005, 10:24 PM   #33
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I didnt really mind, it was more the fact that he threatened to book me when I wasnt really speeding and him being off duty. Surely he has better things to do 1130 on a friday night than threaten to book me for doing 5 over according to his 40 year old speedo.
Old 24-01-2005, 10:32 PM   #34
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
Yeah Surely he has better things to do 1130 on a friday night than threaten to book me for doing 5 over according to his 40 year old speedo.
He probably does it for kicks... then on saturday morning he goes for a walk with his dog and pings little kids for riding on the foot path, ROFL.
Old 24-01-2005, 10:35 PM   #35
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

No-one has said off duty cops are a nuisance or bagged them.

We need to know what we can do if an off duty unmarked car tells us to pull over. I wouldnt be too keen about pulling over even if he flashed a badge. I wouldnt know a real badge from a fake.

So Banarcas. What can we do? CAN we keep driving and go to nearest police station? Would we be intercepted by a marked car if we failed to comply.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2005, 11:10 PM   #36
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If i kept driving to the cop shop, i can imagine the pursuing cop going off his nut. If driving a modified car (or any car on my P's) a ****ed off cop (whether rightly so or not) is the last thing i want.
Then i've gotto admit, if it was a really random car (i.e. not a commo or falcon etc) i'd be pretty suss. I'd say wait for a lit up area.
Same goes for a minor traffic accident, heard a story a few years ago about a guy that got rear ended by a WRX, so he pulled over, and the 4 occupants (complete with balaclavas and bb bats) tried to roll him for his GT-R. Ended up throwing the keys away, only to be chased down by the WRX. Sounds like bullshit, may well be (i confess, it was in a hot4's mag) but it gets you thinking.

-Stu
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2005, 11:58 PM   #37
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Well everyone here sees dickheads do stupid things on the road all the time, me included. Many times when I see a person do something dumb, I'll just ignore it. If I had to stop someone, I would'nt go crazy if I followed them to the nearest copshop. Whether they stop when I indicate to them or they drive to a police station really wouldn't bother me at all.

If you wanted to drive to the nearest Police station if an off duty police officer indicated you to stop, then go right ahead. You're not going to be crucified. If however, you drove on and on, you could easily be mistaken to be ignoring the request to stop. All in all, its an test of attitude.
Old 25-01-2005, 12:20 AM   #38
Sundeep
Banned

Aight I was pulled over a few months ago by a VY SS unmarked, coming out of Chirnside Park Shopping Centre. After reading this thread I had a little think about what I could have done instead of stopping for him, I could have kept going to the nearest cop shop (5km's up the road) or I could have phoned 000 and asked for a rego verification.

I reckon if I'd done either of those things, I would have got a lot more than a defect notice just for 1 tyre. I had stockies on the back, a pod filter, uncomplied gas system (fitted by a pro don't worry) etc. etc. and he only dicked me for 1 tyre. If I'd kept going to the Police station I bet it would have ****ed the guy off, and he would have gone over the whole car with a fine tooth comb. If I had called up for a rego verification, I would either have to stop (and get f**ked up if he was a. a serial killer or b. a car thief) or keep driving and call, in which case I'd get booked for driving while on the phone.

I think I'll just stop for an unmarked.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 12:28 AM   #39
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

I have gone to the nearest police station in the past and will do so again. There are people in Melbourne going around pretending to be police officers then mugging/rapeing their victims.

Not going to happen to me thats for sure! If any off duty police officer, that wants me to pull over, has a problem with me driving to the nearest police station then they'd better have a better lawyer than I do.
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 12:30 AM   #40
MRJUCY
Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbreath_48
If i kept driving to the cop shop, i can imagine the pursuing cop going off his nut. If driving a modified car (or any car on my P's) a ****ed off cop (whether rightly so or not) is the last thing i want.
Then i've gotto admit, if it was a really random car (i.e. not a commo or falcon etc) i'd be pretty suss. I'd say wait for a lit up area.
Same goes for a minor traffic accident, heard a story a few years ago about a guy that got rear ended by a WRX, so he pulled over, and the 4 occupants (complete with balaclavas and bb bats) tried to roll him for his GT-R. Ended up throwing the keys away, only to be chased down by the WRX. Sounds like bullshit, may well be (i confess, it was in a hot4's mag) but it gets you thinking.

-Stu
That happened in Hunters Hill which is a fairly rich suburb in Sydney
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 12:38 AM   #41
bigbaz
Starter Motor

As stated by someone, the criminal code and the road traffic act etc can differ from state to state.

If your in a car you have to give name, dob, address etc. If you refuse you will be charged. What FRDXR6 was on about is true if you were just walking along the street (criminal code and police act powers). The road traffic act gives police pretty strong powers.

In regards to not stopping for a unmarked police car, you can be charged with fail to stop. This is one of many charges usually associated with police chases. If you don't stop you must have a good reason and some of what was said, like it was a rural area early hours of the morning and didn't feel safe stopping so you continued on to a police station without breaking any road rules you will get off, but you may get a defect notice (these can't be contested in court).

What XA coupe stated about the copper pulling you up off duty is correct, as long as he/she can justify why they pulled you over they're fine. He would have a very hard time given you a ticket for speeding as his speedo would not be classes as a calibrated speed measuring device. If you were doing say 120 in a 70 then he could state what his speedo was reading because you will be charged with reckless or dangerous driving instead, so having the exact speed isn't really an issue.

The above is for W.A so other states may differ. My brother in law is a copper.
bigbaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 01:04 AM   #42
Yagz
Banned

If i don't see lights on an unmarked car, I will not stop, i'll just keep driving, to either; My House, or my dad's work, or the local cop shop.

How do I know it's not some serial killer pretending to wave a badge and flash their high beams? If i see no strobes, hear no siren, then i won't stop. Simple.
Yagz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 01:08 AM   #43
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

From the start of the thread...

Dansedgli, I assume you were in an 80 zone at the time. You gave the EB a bit of stick, does that mean wheel spin, or just hard acceleration? Did the cop identify himself, and where he worked from?

I think most of the coppers who pull over cars in their own time are reasonably new to their job, and maybe on a power kick. This bloke may have wrongly inferred that you were speeding, because of your rapid acceleration.
I think he said he didn't want to book you because, a) he didn't have a ticket book on him, b) he possibly knew his speedo wasn't tested as accurate, c) he was too lazy to type up a breach report, and send a ticket in the mail when he got back to work.

Most cops with more than a few years of experience under their belt (however big that belt may be!) wouldn't be bothered about such minor matters in their own time.
Police officers have a duty in regard to preservation of life and property etc, but I think this bloke was stretching it... did he have a passenger he was trying to impress?

Not all coppers are like that.
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 09:28 AM   #44
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny
From the start of the thread...

Dansedgli, I assume you were in an 80 zone at the time. You gave the EB a bit of stick, does that mean wheel spin, or just hard acceleration? Did the cop identify himself, and where he worked from?
There was no wheel spin, It launches like a stock falcon just a bit louder. I didnt even get the car on boost when he was next to me. So I probably accelerated hard to 40km/h. Then cruised to about 80-85 in an 80 zone all the way.

He didnt tell me who he was or where he was from, he just flashed the badge and said nothing more about himself.
Old 25-01-2005, 09:40 AM   #45
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Well he stuffed up there, especially not being in uniform or in a work car. I guess we can assume he was a copper, as if he was pretending to be one, he would have made a big deal of introducing himself.

I reckon you struck a bit of a 'Rambo' type.
Old 25-01-2005, 10:44 AM   #46
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What’s all the hoo-ha about? Cops are always on duty – they don’t have to be in uniform or in a marked vehicle to pull you over and can do what they like within the bounds of the law.

As for not pulling over for an un-marked cars its not a very clever idea as firstly it is illegal (assuming the officer has identified themselves with a badge) – though if you really think you are in an unsafe situation, as others have said, drive to the nearest cop shop. Though the unmarked car probably would have radioed ahead anyway and you will get picked up by the highway patrol on the way.

PS - I’m not a cop but have a mate on the force.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 10:46 AM   #47
champsky
THCC Motorsport member 1

lol ive only been pulled over for legit things lol, never even thought of any of that stuff happening lol

ahh how ignorance is bliss :o jk of course lol

in SA i dont think theres al that much trouble with ppl tring to intimidate cops, but them again i dont watch much new etc, and ive never heard of people heading off to the nearest cop shop, don think id be game enough to do that, dont want the cop more aggro than he already is, but like i said, ive only been pulled over for legit stuff soo......

Member of the MTAS
Founder of TTM (team twink motorsport)

Founder of the AFFDDPS (Australian Ford Forums Drink Driving Punishment Squad)
champsky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 02:03 PM   #48
HOON69
Banned

actually they are never off dutie and i actually got into trouble for not pulling over one time,even to the point he ran me off the road for it,sydney cop undercover in a bus comes flying up beside me flashes badge i wave and kept going went to turn left he went around and swerved me intoa gutter got fined for not giving way at a roundabout this was down near queenbeyan btw this cop was 280k's away from home but was allowed to pull me up according to the law..

police can pull you over in personal cars but if i remember not allowed to break any road rules etc,my wife had this happen once overtook a cop off duty he was doing 40kmh in 60 zone we were at speed 60kmh and went around all legal no cars was broken lined etc he tried to follow us home we squirted a few blocks and lost him,next day he came back in cop car wanting to know who was driving,no one got fined he walked off with the poops..

so yeah it has been done a few time especially by country cops..

i doubt a xc would be accurate for a speeding device anyways
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 02:47 PM   #49
HQ2VY

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmCee
Cops are NEVER off duty!!

Wot he said!!
HQ2VY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 03:01 PM   #50
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I was driving with Dad at Mona Vale and a cop in a marked car pulled us over and said that we had been speeding weaving in and out of traffic. We had left the hospital there is no room to speed and it is one lane each way. Told him that the cop shop is about a 1km away, we will go there and sort this out. He begged us not to go there and was let off with a "official warning"

Another time got pulled over for not displaying my front P Plate. Told the story that I had it on when I left must have fallen off on the roads some where. The same roads you and I pay for in our taxes.
I said "Should I get out at every red light to check that my plates are still on"?
To which she replied "If that is what it takes, then yes" What sh!t.
She refused to give me her name and badge number, it has been over a year and no letter in the mail. Scr@w her!
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 10:17 PM   #51
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQV8
Wot he said!!
Wot she said !!_2:
Old 25-01-2005, 10:28 PM   #52
Magical_ED
FORDISMâ„¢

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i_SiX
I dunno what its like there but here if a cop even FLASHES his badge when he is off-duty you can report them, not only that, a cop must be in FULL uniform to issue any type of fine - if they dont have their hats on, they cant book you
You are 100% correct (from what i have been told by so many people incl. a police officer), that if they are NOT wearing their complete uniform they cant do diddly squat.
Old 25-01-2005, 11:00 PM   #53
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magical_ED
You are 100% correct (from what i have been told by so many people incl. a police officer), that if they are NOT wearing their complete uniform they cant do diddly squat.
I don't think there's anything in any of the legislation in Australia saying that the law is not binding if a copper's not wearing a cap, wrong tie-pin, mix matched socks, or non-police issued shoe laces!

That's just an urban myth.

:king:
Old 26-01-2005, 12:05 AM   #54
FordFan86
meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny
I don't think there's anything in any of the legislation in Australia saying that the law is not binding if a copper's not wearing a cap, wrong tie-pin, mix matched socks, or non-police issued shoe laces!

That's just an urban myth.

:king:
I tend to agree with wot he said :P
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 12:46 AM   #55
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

A different question, off Topic.

Can a Police Officer order you out of your car, or do they have ot arrest you. This is if they have pulled you over. Also, if they suspect you have illegal substances or stolen goods, can they order you out of the vehicle inorder to search it?

And, in all the runnings ive had with police, they are usually very nice, if you are nice. That said, i had one that decide to inspect my car fro Roadworthiness, and when i proceeded to exit the Vehicle, he ordered me to remain in the car. I ignored him and told him he has no right to do that. He left it at that, but can he do that?
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 11:49 AM   #56
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
And, in all the runnings ive had with police, they are usually very nice, if you are nice. That said, i had one that decide to inspect my car fro Roadworthiness, and when i proceeded to exit the Vehicle, he ordered me to remain in the car. I ignored him and told him he has no right to do that. He left it at that, but can he do that?
The reason why he/she asked you to stay is more for his safety and yours aswell. Your safety if you got pulled up on a busy road and his/hers if you were a badass intent on harming a cop.
Old 26-01-2005, 03:33 PM   #57
ghia_drive
Starter Motor

A couple of police officers demanded to see my licence once while I was mowing the back lawn! Apparently a car had just been observed speeding down G'borough bypass and for some reason they hassled me about it. :
ghia_drive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 05:52 PM   #58
cookie_thief23
Lazy bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghia_drive
A couple of police officers demanded to see my licence once while I was mowing the back lawn! Apparently a car had just been observed speeding down G'borough bypass and for some reason they hassled me about it. :
u sure u werent speeding along the footpath on ya ride on mower? :
cookie_thief23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 07:51 PM   #59
devil cv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magical_ED
no no no no no........he isn't 100% correct. police are considered on duty 24 hrs a day 7 days a week and can and do enforce the law. Most won't bother unless it's serious though.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2005, 12:31 PM   #60
Ms Pearly
Pearlys ball & chain

I'd have to agree with devil cv8.

If I was ever in trouble and there was an off duty cop around I'd like to think that he/she could help me instead of just taking a step back and saying "Well i'm off duty I have no power"
Ms Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post