Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-07-2005, 01:15 PM   #31
PXR
Starter Motor

Do yourself a favour and drive a liberty 30R B, 180KW flat six a number of our club members have gone from STIs to these I'm not prepared to as I'm scared it will cost me $$$. It has the same 6 Sp 4wd basically a very good compremise. I thought you had already dispensed with these. These have good pull down low ( no V8 ). If Looking at modding Sti or Gt liberty would be the better option but un-modified the 6sp Six is a better option to the 5sp 4t
PXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 01:18 PM   #32
chuckles
formerly lorosfalcon

the liberty gt has lag???? wtf?? the sti wont go until you hit at least 4000rpm where the liberty gt hits peak torque at 2400rpm
chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 01:20 PM   #33
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorosfalcon
the liberty gt has lag???? wtf?? the sti wont go until you hit at least 4000rpm where the liberty gt hits peak torque at 2400rpm
yep i certainly didn't experience any lag when i drove the new gt liberty. Very nice car - why is the base price the same as the 180kw NA engine though ($52K)
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 01:51 PM   #34
madmatty
dipstick

compared to my xr8 it feels laggy down low.heaps less touque.try putting round round abouts in 2nd gear almost stalls.they are ok once you get used to driving it but not enough car for the price about 60k on road.
madmatty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 06:17 PM   #35
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatty
compared to my xr8 it feels laggy down low.heaps less touque.try putting round round abouts in 2nd gear almost stalls.
Poor driving technique I'd say, :nutsycuck , unless we're talking about the auto version which isn't worth considering. The manual is a rip snorter and is near enough to the XR8 for RRP - main difference being the discounting you can get on the XR8 at sale time. This might seem good at the time of purchase but when it comes time to sell you will need a visit to the proctologist.

I'm really not sure what you mean by the GT not being "enough car" unless you are referring only to the physical size. If that is an issue then you should be recommending a Fairlane and nothing else. Otherwise, the GT is hardly lacking in spec - name me three pieces of equipment the XR8 has got standard that the GT hasn't (and that are actually useful or worthwhile). Next, and more importantly, compare the equipment they both have back to back in terms of quality. The conclusion is fairly sound! :
Old 06-07-2005, 06:32 PM   #36
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
the keypad security is very annoying especialy highjack mode.ie if you open the drivers door while the motors running it will shut off the engine after about 60 seconds.
It can be turned off if you want.

I'd say drive them all. As suggested drive the Liberty RB, it's a happy medium on size, handling and power. They are smooth as and go bloody hard for an N/A 6. Stereo in the WRXs is crap, but jump into a an Lib with the full system....they are great for a factory sound system.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 07:32 PM   #37
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Sti or xr8

Well ive never been in a xr8.
But i have been in a automatic gen 3 monaro and a guy i know owns a 1998 japspec 2 door sti.

Firstly the monaro (sorry for the comparison i know its not an xr8 but i think the monaros are supposedly a little quickeR? right? :S)
It seemed to need a few revs to get moving, but once it did it gets up and boogies, but nowhere near as much as i had expected.
Ive sat in a gt and typhoon, they have alot of space, good driving position, great looking interior, but they are phat *** cars, but i guess this would be comforting because you know there sturdy and strong! AND one thing i might add about the ba falcon is, ive taken my 04' Fiesta to ford for a service and a couple check ups, and whenever ive been there is ALWAYS at least one ba getting a new diff. The owners are not all hoons, i remember two of them being elderly people in their ghia fairmonts.
Also Timmeh, used to own a ba xr6, spent most of its life at ford, problems with diff and gearbox if i remember correctly.
There seem to be some reliability issues and personaly at the moment, id never ever buy a ba falcon. Too many lemons out there.

ANYWAY i hope i dont get flamed for that, but now its time for the STI!!!!!

Its a 2 door japspec MY98 (1998 model)
I went in it a few times, each time with different feelings on it.
First time was on a summer day, around 1pm.
It was laggy, and didnt do too much for me to be honest.
Second time was at night, it responded like a completely different car, it was still laggy, not really hitting you in your seat till around 3.5 thou rpm.
but once it came on boost holy hell, hold on and feel as the blood drains to the back of your head.

suspension wise it felt firm but bearable, understeered like a dog though (apparently understeer has been reduced in newer models)
I felt confident in the car though, wasnt really worried, loads of grip.

the car felt choked above about 6.5 thousand rpm, but from 3.5 till 6.5 it was a monster. smocked a SS without a hassle in the world.
The next time i was in it there were 5 of us packed into the thing. at around 11pm, very cold. VERY FAST, everyone in the car had their butts and heads plastered to the seats.

The car felt very unrefined, but thats fair enough because it is a semi racing car when you think about it. I cant comment about the stock stereo (ive bene told there crap) reason i cant comment was because it had aftermarket headunit and speakers fitted.
It had the keypad security on the top of dash in a compartment.
Seats are nice, hold you tight.

The car is faiiirly ordinary looking, its the common metallic blue that EVERYONE with a wrx has, with the gold wheels.
I dont really like the bugeyed models (MY01) but i like the most recent shape the best.
There is a word you need to be introduced to, it will solve all your problems... ready for it?!?!?!? Evolution
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 08:13 AM   #38
madmatty
dipstick

they are all good cars but i drive all of them and i love the xr8 the most buts thats just me.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:26 PM   #39
Mondie
Firm member

Had a BA GT and sold it for an MY03 Sti. The BA was a family car but thats now covered with a Terri so an Sti was the obvious choice for me. Its accelerates HARD, handles great and l love the AWD especially in the wet. Quality difference is obvious. Rides very hard but you get used to it and the handling makes it worth it. l live in coutry Vic, the GT cost $650 to insure and the Sti $850, not much in it. When it comes to resale the Sti is just about top of the pack.

Having said all that l will be sorely tempted by a mk3 GT-P next year but if rumours of a 2.5lt Sti prove correct, that would just about win me over.

If the cars mainly for you only, go the Sti :
Mondie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2005, 10:09 AM   #40
Jamie XR6
3FB Detailing Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondie

When it comes to resale the Sti is just about top of the pack.
I'm glad you brought that up as no one else had. The Subaru's (STi, Liberty, WRX) kill the GT, XR6T on resale value and the Typhoon won't be any better once second hand ones come onto the market.
03 BA XR6T, Black, T5, Unichip tuned by Autotech Engineering (235.5 rwkW), BPT short shifter, Custom Leather, 18" rims, PBR sports calipers, Lowered, Tint, duel CAI & BMC filter, AWC bits, custom stripes.

My Website
Jamie XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2005, 08:49 AM   #41
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondie
Having said all that l will be sorely tempted by a mk3 GT-P next year but if rumours of a 2.5lt Sti prove correct, that would just about win me over.
Ain't a rumour, they are getting the 2.5 US spec donk next time round.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:56 AM   #42
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I find Jap cars a bit small and cramped on the inside and probably wouldn't get one as a daily driver. On the other hand, should I get one I would get an EVO Lancer before a STi. If you are going to have to put up with the compromises, get the best !!.
Besides, it takes a few mods to get a STi to keep up with my XR8 in a straight line .. and the sort of corners that it'll outshine me on are few and far between and don't really exist in suburbia... well, unless you are driving like a tool of course
Oh, last and definitely not least... WTF did they do to the front of the things in the new model ?? YUK
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2005, 10:01 AM   #43
Psycho Chicken
Banned

The Subaru head designer is a crack head, that's the only answer I can think of.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:11 AM   #44
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think Crack Whore (tm) is the term.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2005, 06:57 PM   #45
Fordy
EMC-Benzenes Detailing

I havnt really read through any of the other posts as im to lazy but i will tell you that after trading my xr8 in for an xr6t my cousin bought an STI and after driving it i wish i had bought one too. I must admit the 2 BA's i've owned have had they're fair share of problems and im a bit ****ed at ford atm but the only thing that the xr8 will have over the rex is a better rumble and maybe bettere stereo if you get premium sound. Go the rex.
Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2005, 09:52 PM   #46
DarkXr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe
Personally I find Jap cars a bit small and cramped on the inside and probably wouldn't get one as a daily driver. On the other hand, should I get one I would get an EVO Lancer before a STi. If you are going to have to put up with the compromises, get the best !!.
Besides, it takes a few mods to get a STi to keep up with my XR8 in a straight line .. and the sort of corners that it'll outshine me on are few and far between and don't really exist in suburbia... well, unless you are driving like a tool of course
Oh, last and definitely not least... WTF did they do to the front of the things in the new model ?? YUK
Assuming both cars were stock I would assume that the STI would beat an XR8 in a straight line? Is this correct?
Old 10-07-2005, 10:21 PM   #47
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Off the line yes, XR8 would get it well before the quarter was up. I'm probably gonna be shot down with 0-400 times in a second, but good luck launching an STi as hard as the mags do every time and not having something go bang.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:13 PM   #48
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Off the line yes, XR8 would get it well before the quarter was up. I'm probably gonna be shot down with 0-400 times in a second, but good luck launching an STi as hard as the mags do every time and not having something go bang.
yea hehe, 5000rpm dump cant be good for any car with 4wd!! And without that kind of launch the wrx isnt that good on the quater mile.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2005, 11:41 PM   #49
WASP
Whipple Induced

XR8 or STi I would go the STi. If it was an WRX we were comparing Id say the XR8. If it was an STi vs FPV GT I'd say take the GT. It's all relative.
I've owned and loved an BA XR8 but it lacked that something special about it IMO which is what the FPV's have. I ended up selling it for that reason alone as a found my example to be beautifully built and reliable. I've always admired the STi's and considered one after I sold the XR8, but decided if I was going to try the turbo experience I was going to do it low, fat and sexy big **** twin turbo RWD way..lol
Old 11-07-2005, 07:59 AM   #50
madmatty
dipstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftr_el
Assuming both cars were stock I would assume that the STI would beat an XR8 in a straight line? Is this correct?
yes the sti will beat a stock xr8 every time no contest.ant the sti has lauch control.you can launch them as hard as you like. the only weak link is the clutch but it will still take a pounding.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:52 AM   #51
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftr_el
depending on how big this straight is, on the 1/4 yea the sti has it, but on the highway the XR8 would end up being infront..

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2005, 10:17 AM   #52
Red MY01

Quote:
ant the sti has lauch control.you can launch them as hard as you like. the only weak link is the clutch but it will still take a pounding.
I think you need to think a bit and find out facts before you post, The STi does not have launch control, and your car would not beat a STi around corners...ever! You dont "dump" the clutch in an AWD Dave. Theres a little more finesse than that.

On a highway (after about 120)the XR8 will be marginally quicker but anywhere before that the STi will be faster.

And while im here, the comment about the exhaust note of the two cars, i reckon, each to their own the V8 note is nice but the Boxer rumble is pure heaven.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2005, 10:24 AM   #53
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MY01
and your car would not beat a STi around corners...ever! You dont "dump" the clutch in an AWD Dave. Theres a little more finesse than that.
im with you Red

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 01:54 PM   #54
DarkXr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for the info guys ** and the entertainment **