Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 24-06-2015, 07:07 PM   #31
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Default Re: People that sell problematic cars and don't disclose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
A friend of mine just bought a BA falcon XR6 n/a as his first car. He is only 18 and saved his money for it. It has 146,000km and he paid it $7000.. He was pretty happy about it and it looks very neat in Mercury Silver.

Showed me his car and listed all of "his plans" for it.. You can see that excitement in a youngster with his first car, everyone knows that feeling.

Next time I saw him I asked him about the car, he said it leaks oil. He Took it to the mechanic and ****ZING**** real main seal and $650 he doesn't have.

He said it leaks a fair bit of oil so previous owner must have mopped it up and flogged it off rather than spend the money to fix it.. HE said he checked the car and saw no signs of leaks so the previous owner did a bobby dazzler of a mop up. He said he looked where the owner said he parks it and there was no spots. (I dont think that was its legitimate parking spot), he even asked the seller a direct question, does it leak oil or coolant and the seller said "no, never".

That leads me to my question, is it a dog act to sell off a car to someone knowing there is an issue with it that's either expensive to repair or may leave them stranded somewhere? It may have a checkered history but sellers pass it off as a woman driver etc.

I have always fixed any issue with my cars before they are sold and/or disclosed anything that may be an issue to a buyer. Its a car at the end of the day and why would you want to short change someone and have them want to square you up. Not worth it in my book.

But it seems that many sellers out there systematically try and flog off problematic cars to either make a buck or make it the next blokes problem. It really does boil my blood. Purporting the car is of one standard but knowing its another.

HAve you sold off a problematic car? or do you fix properly or disclose any issues and take a bath on the price.
Was the previous owner washing the car furiously before he sold it. Maybe his mate had just bought an AMG so he felt so ashamed being in a lesser car than his friend as his friend would snigger at him and make snyde remarks.........
And he probly had to sell the car as he only earned $25,000 a year and by rights with the % factor he should of only been in a car valued at $3100............................

Last edited by buggerlugs; 24-06-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 24-06-2015, 07:23 PM   #32
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Could you imagine going to the pub with Hulk. He'd be the one to start with the smart alec comments and just when it descended into fisticuffs, he'd back off and watch the fight.

We've been sucked into talking on a topic by Hulk.........again.

Any way, I know this is another apocryphal story 'coz Hulk started it with, "A friend of mine...."

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
Old 24-06-2015, 07:35 PM   #33
STINKY NINJA
Banned

***** happens,ive been had before along with countless others buying s/h cars.
Take it in your stride,whinging about it gets you nowhere.
I buy a s/h car fully expecting to spend $$$ on it to get it up to my idea of reliable.
Its VERY seldom that people sell perfectly good cars...
This user likes this post:
Old 24-06-2015, 07:37 PM   #34
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
Could you imagine going to the pub with Hulk. He'd be the one to start with the smart alec comments and just when it descended into fisticuffs, he'd back off and watch the fight.

We've been sucked into talking on a topic by Hulk.........again.

Any way, I know this is another apocryphal story 'coz Hulk started it with, "A friend of mine...."
Is it possible that his friends name is "MILKO"??
Old 24-06-2015, 07:38 PM   #35
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

If you want no issues and warranty buy a new car. If you buy a second hand car, especially one over 10 years old, you would expect that you will have something fail at some point. That is why you are paying a much lower price in the first place.
4 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2015, 07:53 PM   #36
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't look at the driveway for stains...be a good passenger while he takes you for a test-drive. After that, get on your back with a torch. Somebody is probably going to tell me that the rear-main leaks more when cold.
Old 24-06-2015, 08:01 PM   #37
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

If you spend every dollar you have on a used car expecting it to be perfect you're dreaming! Personally I don't think anyone's first car should be worth over $2000. Best thing my father did was restrict my budget for my first car. I bought something that was solid but needed some tlc. I learnt so much about car maintenence and identifying potential issues and fixing them before hand.

Your young mate should have taken someone with good car knowledge, experience and insight (or the concerned mate should have at least offered to go to inspect the car). Preferably sometime who knows Fords, better yet Falcons and even better B series!

Why didn't you, as a well versed mate make time for this youngster? Especially considering your extensive knowledge Hulk?

I've gone to help countless friends, families and friends of friends to help them avoid these kind of pitfalls. Saved many from dumb decisions, potentially being ripped off and confirming that the car they like is indeed matches their needs. That's what a mate does in my book. Regardless of dodgy brothers out there to rip off the poor unsuspecting kid.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
3 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2015, 08:13 PM   #38
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
With mates like you who needs enemies.
hahahaaa see you missed the point. The service guys said it was leaking to extract some dollars out of my back pocket. I knew it was not leaking. But if I told the buyer it was leaking then they would ask for a discount. So two years on and how do I know it is still not leaking? Cause he is a mate and I see the car quite often. If someone want to buy a car from a private seller (at a cheaper price than from a dealer who has to provide warranty) then that is the risk they take. no one forces them.
Old 24-06-2015, 08:22 PM   #39
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

As usual you're making a huge amount of assumptions here..........

Your friend doesn't have the $650, so he bought a car and expected nothing to go wrong with it ?

How long (and how many K's) between your friend buying the car and then telling you it leaks oil ?

He says he checked the car? (How come he didn't ask you to check it with him?)
For all you know he may have just lifted the bonnet, saw a nice clean engine and closed it again.

How can you assume that it wasn't it's 'Legitimate' parking spot? was it down the road from the sellers house?

I'll make an assumption here...............

He saw an XR6 (that his red P's will let him drive).
He can't afford any repairs or insurance.
But hey, He has the cash, It looks the goods, makes a neat sound and he can impress plenty of people with his first car.............. Sold!
Old 24-06-2015, 08:26 PM   #40
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
Well it would pay to ask him, because if he did buy it with a RWC, then who ever provided that RWC has done a dodgy, because if it were leaking before hand like you assume then the inspector would/should have seen this while up on a hoist.

And if so then really your young friend has been shafted and might have some grounds to pursue the person/company who signed off the certificate if it hasn’t been to long of a time frame.

But he has learnt a valuable lesson here hopefully, it pay’s to get a independent pre inspection even if it does cost him and the car is found to be a dodgy.
In nsw ive never seen a pink slip involve lifting car on a hoist.. my pink slips have been check lights, brake test, tyre tread and winscreen washers..
Old 24-06-2015, 08:35 PM   #41
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about a Dog Ford dealership selling you a 'brand new' car with problems/issues.
It is not just private sellers who are offering up dodgy cars.
XW UTE, XW FAIRMONT, XT GT, XT Fairmont, EF XR8, XH XR8 UTE, XH XR8 UTE, AU UTE, Renault Scenic, XF UTE, BA XR8 UTE, TERRITORY, Chrysler Voyager, WS FIESTA ZETEC,TERRITORY TITANIUM, BA UTE, Nissan Pathfinder, AU Falcon Forte, BA XR8 UTE.
Old 24-06-2015, 08:44 PM   #42
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
In nsw ive never seen a pink slip involve lifting car on a hoist.. my pink slips have been check lights, brake test, tyre tread and winscreen washers..
Surely a RWC even in NSW has more to it then that, an oil leak of such that you mention would not pass a RWC through a legitimate provider ?.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2015, 08:44 PM   #43
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
As usual you're making a huge amount of assumptions here..........

Your friend doesn't have the $650, so he bought a car and expected nothing to go wrong with it ?

How long (and how many K's) between your friend buying the car and then telling you it leaks oil ?

He says he checked the car? (How come he didn't ask you to check it with him?)
For all you know he may have just lifted the bonnet, saw a nice clean engine and closed it again.

How can you assume that it wasn't it's 'Legitimate' parking spot? was it down the road from the sellers house?

I'll make an assumption here...............

He saw an XR6 (that his red P's will let him drive).
He can't afford any repairs or insurance.
But hey, He has the cash, It looks the goods, makes a neat sound and he can impress plenty of people with his first car.............. Sold!
I know he didnt have the money for the rear main seal because when i first saw him he said he wanted to add a full exhaust but when he saves up for it.. so if he didnt have money for exhaust he dont have it for rear main seal.

It was 3 days between when he buys car and he notified about leak. How many km could he have done to instigate this leak? Cant be many.

He said he checked car with his dad. Its not my choice or responsibility to approve anyones purchase.

The legitimate parking spot is anyones guess. But if a car leaks, it leaks. Unless he had a tarp under the car everytime he parked then he said there was no spots on ground so it cannot have been parked in that position.

I think your assumption is probably correct. Young kids are usually love struck when they see things they like. Prob missed the leaks but the seller should have told him.... not ripped the young fella off
Old 24-06-2015, 08:44 PM   #44
FPV0137

Rear main seals are a *****
I checked mine in my xr6 when changing the trusty reliable 4 speed after a good night and it was fine. Went to the drags two days later and got kicked off because my rear main seal shat itself. Doesn't take much, though I doing doubt there are plenty of dodgy sellers out there...
Old 24-06-2015, 08:47 PM   #45
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
Surely a RWC even in NSW has more to it then that, an oil leak of such that you mention would not pass a RWC through a legitimate provider ?.
Most reputable Mechanics will put the car on a hoist to check for leaks, rust etc.
Old 24-06-2015, 08:51 PM   #46
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

those things leak

just keep topping it up
2 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2015, 08:53 PM   #47
brennan.

I sold a little mr2 for $1800, poor kid rings me not 2 hours later wanting his money back. He blew the head gasket red lining it up the motorway, he probably thinks I ripped him off but the thing went fine while I was using it.

I've sold a falcon wagon with totally rusted out sills and I didn't disclose it, but hey, everyone who has sold a falcon has done that.

I sold a subaru impreza on Trademe that had absolutely minimal fuel in it, I didn't disclose that either. Nor did I tell the buyer of my last skyline that, due to the 4"exhaust tip, he will be given severe amounts of crap from the general public as he drives along.

Do you absolve me of these sins Hulk?

PS. 1/12000 chance of being hit by lightening? Great I wouldn't mind losing a couple kg's.
Old 24-06-2015, 08:57 PM   #48
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
I think the RWC people would like to know those you use because how can they check exhausts, transmission, suspension and even oil leaks unless they get under it and have a look see?

Last edited by olfella; 24-06-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Old 24-06-2015, 09:00 PM   #49
furiousgibbon

lesson learned for him hopefully. I had a similar experience, was young, just started working full time, had the ability to borrow money and I bought a high mileage, high end car. Unfortunately I had no mechanical knowledge and judged it based on how it looked! What a nightmare that was. I ended up with a huge credit card debt and a car that continually threatened to ruin me.

I can't imagine the previous owner wouldn't have known the car was a bit rough, unless he was as daft as I was.

If I'm selling a car I'll either fix what is broken and sell at market value, or I'll let the buyer know and adjust the price accordingly. Sometimes cars know you're about to sell them, I'm about to sell my wife's 4 year old GTI and it has become self aware and is now punishing me. I want to tree branch that thing like Basil Fawlty.

The other lesson is, don't spend all you have. You will worry all the time and the moment something goes wrong you'll just end up hating the car.
Old 24-06-2015, 09:09 PM   #50
Harrison

I've bought some bargains and occasionally been shafted.

But I learnt a long time ago if you want karma to run its course, take it on the chin, don't whinge about it.

None of us are perfect.
Old 25-06-2015, 01:17 AM   #51
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I was talking to the mate of a mate at a BBQ last night and while he was cooking up a hotplate full of chops he said he’d bought a new second hand Aurion and when he got it home it didn’t matter how hard he tried, he couldn’t get it to pull a 5 second 0 to 100.

He was so annoyed he took it back to the seller to find out why he’d sold him a dud and instead ended up getting instructions on an interesting technique to baste a leg of lamb. In fact I think he said it was the whole sheep.

He’s now of the opinion not to trust what anyone says about cars.

I gave the chops a miss and had the BBQ chicken instead, true story.
Old 25-06-2015, 01:51 AM   #52
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I’m in NSW and my cars get hoisted for rego checks.

I’m such a girl about some of them getting marked I sometimes wish they didn’t but I understand they have to be checked.

I have a car that drops a little oil from the rear seal when it’s cold and has been sitting for a while but at the moment it’s a spot or two every week or so and so minor I don’t think I’d even notice it if it was a daily driver.

I also have one that drops a bit from the diff every now and again, about a tea spoon full and then won’t do it again for months.

Then a few months back I walked passed the Ford and I could smell petrol so strong I got straight down and took a looked under to find it had dumped a few litres from a rupture in a perished line leading to the tank.

I was surprised as I’d had the sender out 6 months earlier and I’d checked the fuel line and from the outside it looked in good condition.

It just shows how quickly something can turn.

The point being not everyone is out to rip you off.

When buying a car new or second hand it comes with problems waiting to happen.

When, where, why and how just depends on your luck.

A new car has warranty, a private purchase has your wallet.
Old 25-06-2015, 02:34 AM   #53
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Quote:
It was 3 days between when he buys car and he notified about leak. How many km could he have done to instigate this leak? Cant be many.
youre right
its not
the answer is
Quote:
No leaks for 146000km and then considerable leaks at 146001km?

1km
Old 25-06-2015, 04:15 AM   #54
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It all just proves nobody is as knowledgeable, honest or thorough as you Hulk when it comes to cars. I just wish, no hope, that my kids turn out just like you.

I'm assuming this 18 y/o goes to your gym?
Old 25-06-2015, 05:28 AM   #55
Lunch
Wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I was talking to the mate of a mate at a BBQ last night and while he was cooking up a hotplate full of chops he said he’d bought a new second hand Aurion and when he got it home it didn’t matter how hard he tried, he couldn’t get it to pull a 5 second 0 to 100.

He was so annoyed he took it back to the seller to find out why he’d sold him a dud and instead ended up getting instructions on an interesting technique to baste a leg of lamb. In fact I think he said it was the whole sheep.

He’s now of the opinion not to trust what anyone says about cars.

I gave the chops a miss and had the BBQ chicken instead, true story.
That could be a metaphor for life right there..
Old 25-06-2015, 05:34 AM   #56
Lunch
Wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan. View Post

Nor did I tell the buyer of my last skyline that, due to the 4"exhaust tip, he will be given severe amounts of crap from the general public as he drives along.

Haha, you're going to hell for that
Old 25-06-2015, 06:32 AM   #57
timeout

Mind hurts when reading these threads......

someone already said it , I will say it again... Blows about save a few more k and buy one from a dealer with 3mts warranty.

It's probably been driven in a sedate Manner and you guys have been out flogging it and the oil seals started to leak.

100% supposition on my behalf.

note to hulk and friend of hulk - buy a car with a warranty and pester the **** out of a dealer that's what the price premium is for.

Memememem about a private sale is not going to fix it, if anything as a friend how about you get it fixed and he pay you back.
Old 25-06-2015, 07:01 AM   #58
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Thats what you get when you buy a BA XR6 for 7k....

He should have bought a 10 year old Corolla instead.
I couldn't agree more.

If I bought a BA XR6 with low k's I wouldn't expect it to be mint.

Kids should by an old car they can afford to run!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 25-06-2015, 07:12 AM   #59
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

BA's are dirt cheap these days...even good ones. $7k is fair money really.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 25-06-2015, 08:17 AM   #60
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Note to Hulk :

Your biggest error was not advising your younger and more naive friend to buy a Camry. They are faster....much faster than the falc and could have saved him some money on go fast mods for the Ford....

Sarcasm aside. ( difficult ). Buying anything second hand requires some due diligence with a touch of suspicion and a shake research to ensure you are armed and ready. Some people arent aligned on the definition of "defect" so a "minor" oil leak or no leaks means different things to different people. To an enthusiast , a weep means an engine rebuild......

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
3 users like this post:
Closed Thread