Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-03-2015, 12:55 PM   #31
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Default Re: most distance you've covered in a day, and in what

adelaide hills to the MCG, watched the game got in the car and drove home.
never again

BA xr8 ute
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2015, 01:01 PM   #32
minheim

Melbourne to Gilgandra (896Kms) and then Gilgandra to the Gold Coast (825 Kms) the next day in my AU Series 1 falcon classic in 2003 or thereabouts. Mrs M flew up and was picked up the following day and I had to do the return trip while she flew back after a week. I enjoy long drives more than her. Nothing better than playing your choice of music and eating takeaway and lollies without "supervision" on the highway.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #33
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Mt Isa to Darwin, 1600km, under 12 hours, Harley Roadking.

With fuel/nature stops ever 300km's!
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2015, 01:48 PM   #34
ronnyBB
Channel 4 news team

Amsterdam to Porto (Portugal) solo
Only 1 stop for fuel and wee (turbo diesel 1200km/tank)
19hrs approx 1900km
Towards the end was so dumb to continue, so tired, but did it
This was about 15 years ago when i was 23

Also did Zadar Croatia to Madrid Spain about same distance
But had a 30 min powernap
Old 18-03-2015, 02:20 PM   #35
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

did perth to melbourne many years ago in an old 76 patrol with 120 l fuel capacity,
probably a day and a half + driving, did sneek in a couple of one hour kips and grabbed munchies at fuel stops, but it was a fast trip for an old scrubber, had the old bugger fairly wound up and was pretty noisy too, zero insulation and no carpet ..... very good for staying awake .............3462 k`s .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2015, 02:28 PM   #36
cram_it_frog
wombat

I did Adelaide to Perth few years back 1969 Ford wagon the road was dirt from Ceduna to Eucla fun trip

I did in one day Ceduna to Kalgoorlie in a day and I was totally knackered but the end of that day

in those day,s the battery in the ford was held on by a small steel plate at the base of the battery and the dirt section I lost the plate and when we did stop for a break I check the engine bay and the battery was sitting upside down loosing fluid I just got some good old fencing wire filled it up and off we went (best thing to carry in your tool box a lenth of good old fencing wire fixes many things when you are out in the bush)

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned
1969 Blue wagon 1974 XB owned 3 of them
Numerious others but I always went back to ford

My first car was a 6 volt VW sedan
cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2015, 02:40 PM   #37
ZedTee
Just kickin' up dust

September last year I drove my BA XR8 ute to Darwin and back. 3850kms each way. I took 2 and a half days to get up there. I planned it taking me 4 days as I didn't know what to expect. I was making good time but had to pull up before I really felt like I needed to as I was sipping rum cans on the drive and figured I'd drunk to much to keep going, not getting ****ed but figured I'd be getting close to 0.05 so I stopped. I was towing a 8 X 5 Tandem trailer with a cage. On the way home I had the trailer loaded with my brothers tools and work gear etc. When he had that gear loaded last time it was 1.9 tonnes on a weigh bridge, this time it probably had 200-300 kg more in clothes and a TV etc. I told him I was planning to take 4 days to take it easy etc but I was planning to get home in 2. I think he figured that anyways when I left at 5 in the morning. I utilized the higher NT speed limits and lack of limit and hammered along. As soon as I hit the highway and felt that the trailer was towing real well I thought game on! I sat on 130 for a couple hours, When I stopped for fuel I checked tyres etc, all were reasonable, I sat on 140 for a couple hours, checked again and all were good, sat on 150 for a bit but it didn't seem so happy, when I stopped to put in a few jerry cans I checked tyres again and the trailer tryes were real hot. I continued to drive at 140 for the rest of the NT, I think it's just under 2000kms from the SA-NT border to Darwin. By then the rum cans were going real well. I got to just outside Coober Pedy and pulled up for a snooze. I planned on sleeping for 4 hours but over did it sleeping for nearly 7 hours. I got cracking again. I sat on the 110 speed limit for a bit, then thought stuff it, sat on 130 all the way to just outside Pt Augusta. Slowed to the limit for a bit. Once on the back way across to Renmark I turned it up again, Got into Mildura at about 9:30. Spent a bit of time on the phone to my better half who hadn't heard from me in 2 days and was panicking. Got moving just after 10. This was on a Thursday I thought I'd risk it and sat on 140. Flying through the NT and SA was alright, Victorian roads are terrible! I had no dramas until leaving Mildura. Bottomed out the ute 5 Times at speed on the Calder Hwy, Bouncing all over the shop. About 60-70 kms from Mum and Dads near Bendigo I started to feel a Bit weary. At 1:15 my dad had just knocked off work and pulled up in the driveway at home which is about nealy 2 kms as the crow flies from the Calder Hwy. He said all he could hear through the trees was a V8 roaring and he thought "stuff" me I bet thats Zac. He stood outside and listened as I wound down then turned up the few roads to home. When I got there He said he made A bet with his workmates that I'd be home tonight in less than 48 hours and they all bet against him saying that I couldn't do it driving by myself with the loaded trailer. Proved them wrong!
In the end I had done 2120kms on the first day then about 1550kms on the second day all with a Fully Loaded BA XR8.
Then the week after I went and won the National Circlework Championships! Sorry for the long post but it was the best 3 weeks of my life!

2 Time Australian National Circlework Champion 2014 & 2017
First Falcon to win the National Circlework Title! Click here
First Muppet to win the National Circlework Title Twice! Click here

3rd 2015 18th 2016 2nd 2018
1st Bendigo Bute Ute show Circlework 2015, 2016 and 2017
ZedTee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2015, 02:40 PM   #38
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Adelaide to Sydney, 1400km, MkV Golf GTI. The Hay Plain is one boring ***** of a road....
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2015, 03:17 PM   #39
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

enter button
lol
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2015, 03:18 PM   #40
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Rode a ZX-9R Kawasaki 2250km on the first day, 2150km on the second day back in 1999.

Around 2006 ago rode a Fireblade from Phillip Island to Perth in 42 hours.

Lots and lots of big day trips, like 1500km+ Too many to remember.
4 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2015, 05:17 PM   #41
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

about 1200km somewhere on the Nullabor, in a Territory with 3 other mates.
Old 18-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #42
Vanish335

Sydney to Adelaide to watch the F1 race back in the day in a cordia turbo my mate borrowed it from his mum 1400ks 12hours only stoped for important things like fuel & toilet breaks .the good old days were so much fun.
Vanish335 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2015, 05:40 PM   #43
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Coffs Harbour to Melbourne (Cranbourne) 1440km, have done that trip twice, both all the way just me driving only stopping for fuel/food.

Did it both times in AU2 XR8
Old 18-03-2015, 05:41 PM   #44
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8territory View Post
I remember once some freinds and I had to deliver a truck load of beer. We had to travel the 1150 kms in 28 hours and we made it with 10 minutes to spare. Bo, Cletus and I had lots of fun on that trip between Texarkana and Georgia.
Another time Bo, Cletus and myself had to take an elephant size load from Miami to Dallas in the Kenworth. That is 2100km but we had 3 days to do it.
Bo followed us in his Trans Am. Now that was an exciting trip!
XW UTE, XW FAIRMONT, XT GT, XT Fairmont, EF XR8, XH XR8 UTE, XH XR8 UTE, AU UTE, Renault Scenic, XF UTE, BA XR8 UTE, TERRITORY, Chrysler Voyager, WS FIESTA ZETEC,TERRITORY TITANIUM, BA UTE, Nissan Pathfinder, AU Falcon Forte, BA XR8 UTE.

Last edited by xr8territory; 18-03-2015 at 05:41 PM. Reason: I guess we followed Bo
xr8territory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2015, 05:43 PM   #45
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Sydney to Adelaide in 13 hours. Left at lunch, arrived just after midnight. AU XR8 Ute. Stuck to the limit along the Hume but made up for everything once I got off it. Gotta love the Hay plains.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2015, 05:45 PM   #46
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Albury-Brisbane 1400kms~
In an AU TE50, a Focus XR5T and a Focus ST.

Also if you mean 24hrs ive done Brisbane to Melbourne aswell with a stop in Albury.

Have done the trip numerous times inc doing it stopping somewhere on the coast, did it last Tuesday/Wednesday for the last time i think.
Old 18-03-2015, 05:47 PM   #47
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Alexandra Hills, Brisbane to Burwood, Sydney in 10 and 1/2 hours. Non stop (apart from fuel and nature breaks) in a 2 litre Cortina - that's the best I can claim.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #48
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did airlie beach to sydney - about 2000km in one hit. less than 24 hours. in a sheety old magna with my kayak strapped to the roof

I also did Perth to Sydney in less than 2 days - i think it was something like 38 hours including a 3 hr sleep. left at 6am arrived at about 8pm the next night. Stupidest thing i ever done. felt like i had a hang over for 2 days afterwards. was in my fg turbo ute. did it easy but man they drink fuel the faster you go (dont work out my average speed).

i fly or take in the sights now - i think i did it mainly to prove i could do it (the main reason i do stupid things)
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2015, 06:00 PM   #49
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.zissou View Post
i think i did it mainly to prove i could do it (the main reason i do stupid things)
Bhahahaha that made me im the same.
Old 18-03-2015, 06:15 PM   #50
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
I remember once some freinds and I had to deliver a truck load of beer. We had to travel the 1150 kms in 28 hours and we made it with 10 minutes to spare. Bo, Cletus and I had lots of fun on that trip between Texarkana and Georgia.
How many sleeps did you have on that trip.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2015, 06:19 PM   #51
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
Same for me, about 1500km (Eucla to Perth) in 14 hrs. 93 ED manual 6cyl GLi. Geez I miss that car haha!!!
Ive done that trip in a fully laden Rodeo and had to split up the trip into 2 days. Then again we were only travelling 90kph. Fair effort by you though. That's a decent drive.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2015, 06:28 PM   #52
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
How many sleeps did you have on that trip.
We had very little sleep. Sheriff Justice T Buford was chasing us all the way.
XW UTE, XW FAIRMONT, XT GT, XT Fairmont, EF XR8, XH XR8 UTE, XH XR8 UTE, AU UTE, Renault Scenic, XF UTE, BA XR8 UTE, TERRITORY, Chrysler Voyager, WS FIESTA ZETEC,TERRITORY TITANIUM, BA UTE, Nissan Pathfinder, AU Falcon Forte, BA XR8 UTE.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2015, 06:33 PM   #53
Greggy
Starter Motor

Went from Brisbane to Darwin and back in 1992 with my Dad in a VQ Statesman 5.0. Put new Yokohama A-008s on it before leaving. After 7500km trip they were 2/3 worn out. Biggest hit in one day was coming back about 1500km across NT. No speed limits and all during daylight hours no problem at all. Awesome trip, heaps of fuel but heaps of fun when you're 19 years old. Would go again tomorrow if there were no speed limits right across the NT and the roads to match just like they were back then. My XR8 ute would do it easy.
Greggy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2015, 06:36 PM   #54
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
We had very little sleep. Sheriff Justice T Buford was chasing us all the way.
Promise you will never take up truck driving, you will go broke.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2015, 06:41 PM   #55
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Promise you will never take up truck driving, you will go broke.
No more truck driving anymore. We did one more trip after this one - we took a large stuffed fish from Florida to Texas. Ah, the fun we had. They could have made movies about those trips
Old 18-03-2015, 06:58 PM   #56
Thunderchild

Did Ceduna SA to Northside Brisbane in 32hrs (about 2400ks) with four hours sleep just after Broken Hill in a Hz sedan. Definitely the stupidest thing I have ever done, was a zombie by the time I got home. I remember being excited about getting 425 klm out of a tank.
Thunderchild is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2015, 07:12 PM   #57
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Largest distance by car I've done in a day as a passenger is approx. 1100km from Sydney to Renmark, and then the same distance from Renmark to just past the Nullabor Roadhouse.
This was in a Gen3 2.5 Outback.

Me driving, about 800km from Busselton to the Pinnacles, and back again. I'm sure that'll change very soon. In my AU2 Wagon in 40+ degree heat.
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2015, 07:13 PM   #58
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Think the most ive done is 250-300, although you can cover most of tassie in that amount of ks lol, done it a few times in many cars
Old 18-03-2015, 07:24 PM   #59
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bit worrying when people boast of doing well over a thousand kilometers in a day on their own...please don't expect us to believe you were fresh as a daisy when you got out at the end of the day.

In my opinion I'd rather drive with someone doing 160 on the highway than someone sitting dead on the speed limit who's been driving on their own for ten hours or more.
Fatigue is a far bigger killer than speed, and the interesting thing about fatigue is how it sneaks up on you. It's also different to being "tired". The saying is that you will know you're "tired", but you won't know that you're "fatigued"...it truly sneaks up on you without you realising it, and it takes a second person to notice what's happening.

Fatigue kills far more people but is a "silent killer" as it can't be measured after an accident.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2015, 07:39 PM   #60
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Bit worrying when people boast of doing well over a thousand kilometers in a day on their own...please don't expect us to believe you were fresh as a daisy when you got out at the end of the day.

In my opinion I'd rather drive with someone doing 160 on the highway than someone sitting dead on the speed limit who's been driving on their own for ten hours or more.
Fatigue is a far bigger killer than speed, and the interesting thing about fatigue is how it sneaks up on you. It's also different to being "tired". The saying is that you will know you're "tired", but you won't know that you're "fatigued"...it truly sneaks up on you without you realising it, and it takes a second person to notice what's happening.

Fatigue kills far more people but is a "silent killer" as it can't be measured after an accident.
Far from fresh, I was knackered.