Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 24-03-2014, 11:29 PM   #31
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: I Know Why People Buy Camry's !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam View Post
The bigger engined Falcons are more driveable due to the additional pulling torque that doesn't take 2 secs to shift down 3 gears when overtaking.
Mine did, or it would do the whole 2/3/4/3/2/3/4/3/2/3/4 thing going up the steep hills coming out of Sunbury going to the Calder.

I got sick of its **** so its got a T5 in it now.
Old 24-03-2014, 11:59 PM   #32
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Assumption...
There are always exceptions.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
This user likes this post:
Old 25-03-2014, 12:01 AM   #33
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One issue with the Camry ive noticed is that it cant hold the exact speed on cruise control.
My EL doesnt gain speed down hills or lose speed up hills, so why should a car made in 2014 do it?
Base model Camry doesnt have lumber adjustment either, but the previous model did!
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 25-03-2014, 12:17 AM   #34
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only standard accessory missing from the Camry is an Akubra Hat resting comfortably on the rear parcel shelf.
Old 25-03-2014, 12:21 AM   #35
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
My EL doesnt gain speed down hills or lose speed up hills, so why should a car made in 2014 do it?
Mine did big time, I'd ay around 8km/h going up hill causing it to kick back twice to accelerate hard, and on the other end of the hill it'd do 15 over.

How bad are the Camrys? My Focus doesnt at all, just sticks to the speed.
Old 25-03-2014, 12:33 AM   #36
HULK_I6T
Banned

I drove a new camry for work for 6 months and also an aurion presara for about a month.

quality cars, genuine alternative to falcon as family car. Families are mad not to consider them.

camry has adequate performance around town, adequate size and quality built. Only downside for me was lacked a little overtaking when going uphill on the f3 at 110km/h. Also has a tinney exhaust note. Rest of car beautiful, perfect if you dont do too much freeway driving.

aurion is real nice, same as camry basically plus proper power. probably quicker than a falcon i6, more power than you will ever need, quality build, basically a poor mans lexus. Id seriously consider one over a falcon n/a i6. Be a tough decision. For the small price premium over the camry you would grab the aurion. Someone tested one on the dyno and they make 165kw+ at the wheels stock.

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 25-03-2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old 25-03-2014, 12:42 AM   #37
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know why people buy Camrys, because they want to.
Old 25-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #38
iCat
doof doof doof doof

I have to have a car I love, that i love to drive, even for my daily. I love the drive, i love to drive, i have to love the car.

Those brown cardigan cars thicken my blood and slow me down.....

(hey I just realised my post count as at this post was 351... says it all )

Last edited by iCat; 25-03-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 25-03-2014, 11:51 AM   #39
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCat View Post
I have to have a car I love, that i love to drive, even for my daily. I love the drive, i love to drive, i have to love the car.

Those brown cardigan cars thicken my blood and slow me down.....
I think you might find the Aurion may give you the hurry up instead.

Ignoring these cars as a genuine option is sticking your head in the sand.
Old 25-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #40
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can get a brand new MC Mondeo Zetec auto Ecoboost for under $30 drive away depending on dealer.

Brilliant car that nobody knows about.
4 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2014, 12:03 PM   #41
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post
You can get a brand new MC Mondeo Zetec auto Ecoboost for under $30 drive away depending on dealer.

30 bucks, literally the bargain of the century.
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
6 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #42
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinijosh View Post
30 bucks, literally the bargain of the century.
Only if it comes with a full tank
3 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #43
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dont have anything against the v6 rays as a car but most of the people that drive them are brain dead
Old 25-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #44
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post

But its a mondeo no one likes them...

If it were me i know what id choose and lucky for me its still a ford.
Old 25-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #45
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
But its a mondeo no one likes them...

If it were me i know what id choose and lucky for me its still a ford.
No one likes the name I think. I wonder if Fusion would work..
2 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #46
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My father inlaw was pushing the wife to get a 2012 camry she drove one and said it was rubbish nasty harsh motor in them she hated.
He is 83 yo and was raving on about they have heaps of power.

Wife drove the falcon and did not like it as it was to big and could not see out of it well so that was that. commodore could not see jack out of that so that was the end of that.

So she got the Aurion. i was impressed with a front wheel drive how good it was at first for a front wheel drive but now i hate it as it's only a boring city slicker car thats made for wimps, it's just total heap of rubbish on dirt roads.
yes it goes ok in 1st and 2ed but in 3rd it's all gone same with the holden and ford 6 cyl. but the sump has a big dint in it now as it's in harms way, just rubbish not an Aussue car for Aussie conditions.
Old 25-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #47
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t

Yeah. I would get the Mondeo over the Camry any day. It's simply a far better car. Can't wait for the new one.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
Old 25-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #48
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
those same fleet managers also know that when trade in time comes the cars are still worth something.Its a fair old risk to buy a commodore omega/evoke or falcon XT....it all comes down to cost of ownership.
No doubt, but my argument was people/private customer don't 'choose' to buy a Camry in the great numbers. The high monthly sales numbers are from fleet customers buying them for rentals and pool cars.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
Old 25-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #49
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win View Post
I know why people buy Camrys, because they want to.
Bull.....they're "told" they want to. No one buys a Camry because they love them. Not one single human being....it's not conceivable

I can fit my wife's mountain bike in the back seat of the falcon.....no need for the boot. My 1000watt scooter goes there. Probably got more power in my boot then in the camry

People buy camrys just like they buy old gen mazdas in record numbers still.....there's no explanation!
Old 25-03-2014, 08:44 PM   #50
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I greatly suspect the people who are the most outstanding critics of Camrys haven't actually driven one.
Our son has an Aurion (basically a Camry), and while it's not really my cup of tea, you certainly can't say it isn't well equipped and doesn't do everything it says on the box simply, efficiently, and easily. It might be "white goods on wheels", but it's more a new Fisher & Paykel fridge with ice maker and cold water in the door, and less a ratty old Kelvinator with leaky door seals. If you wanted "an car" you could probably do a lot worse.

Camrys are understandable in Queensland too as the rego is cheaper (four cylinder) for such a largish car. The Hybrid is also popular from what I have seen, and given that it's a "normal" looking car and not the oddball Prius, and the fuel economy it is capable of, it's not surprising why it's so popular.

As I said, not really my choice of car...but it's perfectly understandable why so many people do choose them.

Some people simply can't accept that the majority of buyers simply don't give a toss about which end is doing the driving, what the power output is, and what the 0-100 and quarter mile times are...
Old 25-03-2014, 10:35 PM   #51
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

We might be huge in numbers when you look at us argue and complain on AFF, but if you compare the whole of AFF vs Average Joe (Josephine) we're a drop in the water.

Mr/Mrs Average don't give a rats *** about how fast it goes or what its got under the hood, does it look shiny, does it start first time every morning?

Thats it.
5 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2014, 12:13 AM   #52
_Ben
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes the people who buy base model falcons are the REAL enthusiasts, not camry drivers :P
3 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2014, 12:35 AM   #53
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Last night I was skateboarding down the local main street and heard what sounded like a tractor coming up behind me, so I jumped off my board and stood on the side of the road to let it pass.

Turns out it was a 2014 Camry. It did not sound smooth.
Old 26-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #54
iCat
doof doof doof doof

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ben View Post
Yes the people who buy base model falcons are the REAL enthusiasts, not camry drivers :P
if it gets your foot in the door of your passion what's the problem with that?
Old 26-03-2014, 01:45 PM   #55
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

The people who feel like top **** because they spent extra to have a different badge are a blight amongst the motoring community.

The real shame is the people who can afford the 70k taxi are often well in to their 50's by that point and they drive them around with about as much spirit as a camry anyway!
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
Old 26-03-2014, 08:51 PM   #56
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can tell you all that a 1997-2002 V6 Camry will beat a a bog stock EL/AU Falcon or VT/VX/VY Commodore N/A 6 cylinder of the same time in performance. Camry's only problems are its boring styling, image and can be a bit heavy on fuel for a four cylinder car. besides that there's nothing wrong them. there's a reason why you still see near 30 year old Camry's on the road today. there reliable. I could go as far as saying I would probably see more SV21 Camry's on the road in Queensland then XF/EA/EB Falcons and VL/VN/VP Commodores. they might not be the enthusiasts choice but they do what there designed to do well. If someone want to mod a Camry why not. its there car they can do what they like. would I do one up?? probably not unless I wanted to be really different and to be honest I'd rather see different then every AU onwards Falcon with Dark Agents wheels.
Old 26-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #57
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's with all these old farts buying Camry's? Yes they look like their golf carts but they need to be told to buy the best 4 cylinder largish car on the market today.
The Ecoboost Falcon!
Old 26-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #58
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
One issue with the Camry ive noticed is that it cant hold the exact speed on cruise control.
Base model Camry doesnt have lumber adjustment either, but the previous model did!

FG Falcons do the same as the Camry in cruise control, was pet hate when I owned mine.
Old 26-03-2014, 09:44 PM   #59
Kayos
Lag = hang onto something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
Yup.

Slotted discs went on the wagon at 170k with new pads, discs were machined and softer pads fitted at about 220k-ish, I think, and the car just ticked over 351k yesterday with still about 5-6mm of material still on the pads as of 3 weeks ago when new tyres went on.
Do you have any other cars on the roads over there??? Or freeway 100k klm to work and back would explain it... Try inner city or client meetings back and forth, be lucky to get 30k klm

Some previous rides: Ef mont, RX7tt series VI, BM coupes, TE50, BA ghia, BA XR6t

Current rides: G6E blk/Cshmr, Chrysler by Chrysler no.1, Chrysler by Chrysler no.2
Old 26-03-2014, 09:45 PM   #60
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post
I can tell you all that a 1997-2002 V6 Camry will beat a a bog stock EL/AU Falcon or VT/VX/VY Commodore N/A 6 cylinder of the same time in performance. Camry's only problems are its boring styling, image and can be a bit heavy on fuel for a four cylinder car. besides that there's nothing wrong them. there's a reason why you still see near 30 year old Camry's on the road today. there reliable. I could go as far as saying I would probably see more SV21 Camry's on the road in Queensland then XF/EA/EB Falcons and VL/VN/VP Commodores. they might not be the enthusiasts choice but they do what there designed to do well. If someone want to mod a Camry why not. its there car they can do what they like. would I do one up?? probably not unless I wanted to be really different and to be honest I'd rather see different then every AU onwards Falcon with Dark Agents wheels.
The older camrys wont do much against the e series falcons ir vr-vt commmodores..i still have old wheels/motor magazines which prove they are not in the same league.

current camrys do everything pretty well, the aurion is a cracking car, probably better car than fg falcon model for model.
Closed Thread