Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-01-2015, 11:10 PM   #31
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 
Default Re: Audi SQ5- humble pie tastes so good!

Hey Jim,

We have similar taste mate, we've ordered a white one as well.

Lol, have you priced set of replacement 21inch tires yet?

22s are a Lot cheaper!

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-01-2015, 11:19 PM   #32
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Great minds man ;) lol

You'll love it! We had ours in for a service last week and needs a set of fronts- Audi Centre Perth quoted $1290 fitted, balanced and aligned, had them in stock too. I reckon that was reasonable from a dealer....

The 305/30R20 Michelin Pilot super sports I bought for the rear of the GT were $900 a corner so happy with $1290!

What have you optioned Tex? Ours is white, lunar silver leather inserts, carbon atlas inlays, B&O stereo, 21" wheels. Oh, and the climate controlled cup holders! Lol no joke! It was a stock car when we bought it- the only one in the country at the time, we're in Perth and bought it from Coffs Harbour!
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2015, 11:30 PM   #33
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo View Post
Not really a surprise that Audi is building a car like this. Anyone ever been for a Ride in the V10 Volkswagen R50 Touareg, 258kw and 850Nm and with a chip 300kw and 1000Nm. Its no different to a high performance petrol, build the engine with better parts and turn up the boost. But you have to say that it is pretty awesome to literally smoke a HSV(diesel smoke).
We had one of those in the shop a few months back, HOLY HELL do they go quick for a lard-*** SUV!
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2015, 11:36 PM   #34
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Ours is a basic rig mate, just heated nappa seats, and the.tint man I know will fix us up with black as black tint. None of that 35% non sense for us.

Good price on the tires, I've been quoted any from 750 - 900 each..

So have left it on 20s and will go with aftermarket 22s. Something in charcoal or tungsten Colour, there's some sweet larger RS6 styled rims I've got my eye on.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 28-01-2015, 11:41 PM   #35
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not really a surprise that Audi is building a car like this. Anyone ever been for a Ride in the V10 Volkswagen R50 Touareg, 258kw and 850Nm and with a chip 300kw and 1000Nm. Its no different to a high performance petrol, build the engine with better parts and turn up the boost. But you have to say that it is pretty awesome to literally smoke a HSV(diesel smoke).
Have you seen the bills to fix them though?
Spoke to a guy with one and spent $10k on replacing turbos, $8k on a new gearbox, $5k on brakes, constantly replacing rims due to cracking (solved it by downsizing to 18s)
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2015, 11:49 PM   #36
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Ours is a basic rig mate, just heated nappa seats, and the.tint man I know will fix us up with black as black tint. None of that 35% non sense for us.

Good price on the tires, I've been quoted any from 750 - 900 each..

So have left it on 20s and will go with aftermarket 22s. Something in charcoal or tungsten Colour, there's some sweet larger RS6 styled rims I've got my eye on.

Nice man! We've got the heated seats too, forgot that! I had my mate tint the windows for $300 and went 18 grade too- only way to go.

I just couldn't go past that 21" wheel style though, they look mint. I keep joking with the missus and telling her I'm putting gold Simmons on hers too lol Audi have some terrific wheel styles and the rs6 ones have been a favourite of mine for a while too. The R8 ones too...

Look forward to seeing pics mate, you'll love it!
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 28-01-2015, 11:54 PM   #37
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Have you seen the bills to fix them though?
Spoke to a guy with one and spent $10k on replacing turbos, $8k on a new gearbox, $5k on brakes, constantly replacing rims due to cracking (solved it by downsizing to 18s)
I'd believe the price for the box, but turbos you could source that from another company, when we went to get a price for new turbo on our mates D40 Navara Nissan wanted $4500, we got it for about $1800 new from a Garrett reseller locally.

I think with those V10s the engine might have to come out or dismantle a lot of it to replace turbos, maybe thats where the cost is, if you pop the bonnet on them everything is covered in plastic, you know what that means.

NO DIY
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2015, 05:44 PM   #38
tex
Broken

we collected it this arv, and having not driven one for 6 months seems id forgotten how well these soccer mum tractors haul. Big smiles even with only a handful of ks on it, still hauls pretty damn hard.

It isnt my car so im forbidden from any power ups. Another 100nm would be nice though lol.

Best part about it, it blends. No one will ever look twice, nothing remarkable about it even when playing throttles. Theres good sense in that in this day and age of do-gooding dob in a yob phone lines.

The build quality on first impression is fantastic, interior materials and fit beyond what the price point would otherwise suggest.

Happy wife, happy life

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
6 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2015, 11:51 PM   #39
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Quote:
we collected it this arv, and having not driven one for 6 months seems id forgotten how well these soccer mum tractors haul. Big smiles even with only a handful of ks on it, still hauls pretty damn hard.

It isnt my car so im forbidden from any power ups. Another 100nm would be nice though lol.

Best part about it, it blends. No one will ever look twice, nothing remarkable about it even when playing throttles. Theres good sense in that in this day and age of do-gooding dob in a yob phone lines.

The build quality on first impression is fantastic, interior materials and fit beyond what the price point would otherwise suggest.

Happy wife, happy life
Not just the wife that's happy I'm sure! Lol

Yeah, they blend alright. And when you hose that poor bastard in his new HSV you'll be laughing every time you think of it. 0-100 in 5.1 and 6.8L/100km, in a garden variety "soccer mom" mode of transport, incredible. A serious suburban assault vehicle.

Try the launch control too man, it will surprise you. You're only allowed 250 launches before you're warranty's toast though!

Really happy for you guys, terrific vehicle that I'm sure will serve you well and bring years of enjoyment. Congratulations.
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2015, 12:47 PM   #40
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^ I must admit I don't love our SZ Terri AWD Diesel as much as the SYII we had for 5 years.

I'm very disappointed in the transmission, it groans, it's snatchy in the lower gears from time to time.

I know it can be fixed but I wished I'd have kept the old girl.

Something like this though might fit the bill. Once the new Terri comes up to 12 months old I might have a bo peep at these!
Old 08-02-2015, 08:38 PM   #41
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Don't forget V12 TT Q7 from a couple of years back. 368kw and 1000nm from factory. I've never had the privilege of driving one, but I'd bet that they're pretty nuts.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2015, 08:44 PM   #42
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
^^^^ I must admit I don't love our SZ Terri AWD Diesel as much as the SYII we had for 5 years.

I'm very disappointed in the transmission, it groans, it's snatchy in the lower gears from time to time.

I know it can be fixed but I wished I'd have kept the old girl.

Something like this though might fit the bill. Once the new Terri comes up to 12 months old I might have a bo peep at these!
Get one! I know that I would in a heartbeat if I could afford one. I got rid of the F6 X a couple of years ago when the lease ran out and decided to cut back on expenses with a second hand Wagon, but hopefully when my circumstances turn full circle and I'm ready to get back in the new car market, an SQ5 will by high on my list. I have driven one, so take it from myself and a few of the others that they're an amazing machine!
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #43
tex
Broken

Drove the fridge a bit on Sunday, man these generic looking SUVs are race bait..

Two opportunities presented themselves.

1. Wrx with loud exhaust and wooooorf noise on gear changes. He lined up in the fast lane on a 100kmh freeway intersection, light green, big rev and he's off. By top of second we,re level, by mid 3rd gear, fridge 1/2 car length in front.. Next intersection, thumbs up from Rex pilot. He idled off the line on the next green ... Lol

2. Golf r. This bloke was serious, beat fridge off the start, by top of 2nd he's smelling diesel fume. I lifted off. Disgruntled golf man kept into it and was lucky not be in jail by the time I found him at the next set of lights. He just nodded, respect for the fridge having been found.

Funny how you notice things after you've got one yourself.... I've been seeing SQ5 everywhere!

Maybe they'll end up the Euro RAV 4 if they can get them into the country quick enough. Dealership we bought from cannot get them into the country as fast as demand, they have had a few on order every month since 2013, there must be a truck load of people with a hunjy to drop on a car!

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
3 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2015, 12:36 PM   #44
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=tex;5332419Maybe they'll end up the Euro RAV 4 if they can get them into the country quick enough. Dealership we bought from cannot get them into the country as fast as demand, they have had a few on order every month since 2013, there must be a truck load of people with a hunjy to drop on a car![/QUOTE]

And everyone says they have no money and the economy is tanking hmm all I see is more luxury suv;s on the road a guy a few doors down from my olds just bought a diesel cayenne porsche loves it to death
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2015, 10:36 AM   #45
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Favour these over a Porsche Macan?
Old 18-02-2015, 11:44 AM   #46
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.caradvice.com.au/229130/audi-sq5-review/

I'd take the BMW - still smart enough off the mark but more importantly better handling and ride. And a beautiful ZF gearbox, not that dodgy DSG stuff.

Not trying to rain on the parade tho
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2015, 01:18 PM   #47
peterca

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post

I'd take the BMW - still smart enough off the mark but more importantly better handling and ride. And a beautiful ZF gearbox, not that dodgy DSG stuff.

SQ5 doesn't use the DSG, has conventional 8 spd auto.
Old 18-02-2015, 07:08 PM   #48
tex
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Favour these over a Porsche Macan?
Indeed.

Tried it. It looks the best of the suv imo, but to get a macan up to sq5 spec its going to cost about 15k more.

Does is it look 15k better, i didnt think so.

The base mecan is around 90. The top spec version around 120. The option list id mind boggling.

The 911 turbo wheels you can option for it, to finish it off nicely..... Around 7k

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 18-02-2015, 07:13 PM   #49
tex
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post

The beemer ride is harsh. I tried it. And the seats unsupportive, and hard.

And no it aint no where near an sq5 on roll-on acceleration, highway speed.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 18-02-2015, 07:24 PM   #50
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50 View Post
Not just the wife that's happy I'm sure! Lol

Yeah, they blend alright. And when you hose that poor bastard in his new HSV you'll be laughing every time you think of it. 0-100 in 5.1 and 6.8L/100km, in a garden variety "soccer mom" mode of transport, incredible. A serious suburban assault vehicle.

Try the launch control too man, it will surprise you. You're only allowed 250 launches before you're warranty's toast though!

Really happy for you guys, terrific vehicle that I'm sure will serve you well and bring years of enjoyment. Congratulations.
250 launches and then no warranty?
For real?
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2015, 09:17 PM   #51
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The beemer ride is harsh. I tried it. And the seats unsupportive, and hard.

And no it aint no where near an sq5 on roll-on acceleration, highway speed.
It sounds like you drove one with sports suspension. The normal suspension is great. Seats are good for me, lots of go with a full load on the mountains and motorways around Wollongong. Can't fault the X3 personally and that's stepping from a Territory. I agree with the reviewer.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2015, 12:14 AM   #52
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA View Post
250 launches and then no warranty?

For real?

I'm sure that was the number- that's a lot though, really. Considering you need to actively follow the procedure to do it: disengage dsc, put trans to sports mode, floor brake and accelerator and release within 5 seconds. Im a yobbo who does it every time I drive it it is awesome I have to admit! Probably got no warranty left but haven't needed it yet and have really never had one due to my modding addiction. The SQ5 is just so versatile- so far, I'm yet to find a car that blends so much practicality, efficiency, versatility, performance and camouflage as it. Add to that you can get into one for $90k (theoretically, if you could get one) I reckon it's a bloody good buy....
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 19-02-2015, 12:21 AM   #53
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Good stuff!
Im very jealous.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2015, 10:32 AM   #54
tex
Broken

Lol

250 launch mode events is a lot, i think id have whip lash if i tried rack that number up in quick succession.

Hey jim, one thing i have noticed is the delay in the throttle application to movement on normal takeoffs- does yours do that? I only drive it in dynamic so maybe its something associated with that?

Its not turbo lag (as it has none) it feels more like the electronic throttle calibration, or something. No biggy, but it is noticable and not something i recall in the other q5 ive driven. The delay is probably less than a second.

20% tint going on today. Then its off for some wheel options. 22 looks like the go, with some nice 285 rubber. Found some springs that drop it a little, but thinking ill leave the ride height where it is and just fit some nice billies to add a touch more control to the chassis.

hopefuly catch up with a bloke whos got a 2014 srt8 jeep to do some comparos. Hes into his cars and changes them like i change my undies. Recently hes had the dodge viper powered v10 ute thingy, a f250 with modded powerstroke, beemer x5, etc.

Interested in hearing his impression compared to the bad *** jeep. Which averaged 32lt per 100 btw lol!!!

Little q5 done 700km on its first tank of oil

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2015, 04:50 PM   #55
gumbi_18

Quote:
Drove the fridge a bit on Sunday, man these generic looking SUVs are race bait..
These things are rapid! Had a go at one on the Falcon St overpass one late night last week in the turbo. We're both stopped at a set of lights, I look over and thinks "its only a soccer mum SUV I'll have a bit of fun with him". He looks over and must of though "its only a ute I'll smoke him". I'd say we both surprised each other. Only managed to pip him by 1/2 a length. Had a good chat about what a rocket ship the SQ5 is at the next set of lights. I still can't believe its a diesel!
gumbi_18 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2015, 06:34 PM   #56
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Quote:
Lol

250 launch mode events is a lot, i think id have whip lash if i tried rack that number up in quick succession.

Hey jim, one thing i have noticed is the delay in the throttle application to movement on normal takeoffs- does yours do that? I only drive it in dynamic so maybe its something associated with that?

Its not turbo lag (as it has none) it feels more like the electronic throttle calibration, or something. No biggy, but it is noticable and not something i recall in the other q5 ive driven. The delay is probably less than a second.

20% tint going on today. Then its off for some wheel options. 22 looks like the go, with some nice 285 rubber. Found some springs that drop it a little, but thinking ill leave the ride height where it is and just fit some nice billies to add a touch more control to the chassis.

hopefuly catch up with a bloke whos got a 2014 srt8 jeep to do some comparos. Hes into his cars and changes them like i change my undies. Recently hes had the dodge viper powered v10 ute thingy, a f250 with modded powerstroke, beemer x5, etc.

Interested in hearing his impression compared to the bad *** jeep. Which averaged 32lt per 100 btw lol!!!

Little q5 done 700km on its first tank of oil

I'm not a fan of the throttle lag, and you're right it's not turbo lag. It's actually because of the brake pedal switch and delays the response time once you get on the diesel pedal. I drive an auto two feet so this is very noticeable and yeah, I don't like it. The Q7 was the same.

We don't see less than 900km out of around 68L

Interested in your opinion once you do the suspension or wheels/tyres mate- keep us posted!
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 19-02-2015, 11:33 PM   #57
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Looks like I'm going to make a close study of these, so I can recognise one in time to avoid embarrassment.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2015, 11:47 PM   #58
Morry

Tex,check out Ramspeeds website when you are looking for wheels. I got them to make a set of 3 peice forged alloy rims for my SQ5. I stuck with 20 inch rims and the rear rims have a medium dish. It is amazing how well these SQ5 diesels go,if you jump on you tube there is a clip of a TDI SQ5 enhanced by B&B in Germany. It has 400+hp. The yanks only get the 3L supercharged petrol SQ5. They can do way more mods too theirs,supercharger pulleys ,exhausts etc. There is a clip of a guy in a normal 3L Q5 that has a stage 2 kit fitted to it. He is at the drags with one hand on the wheel and a coffee in the other hand as he launches off the line. He leaves mustangs,hotted up jap cars for dead and consistently runs mid 12s for the quarter every time. Talk about the ultimate sleeper!
Morry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2015, 09:10 AM   #59
tex
Broken

Thanks morry, I'll check out ramspeed for sure, as I'm having some trouble finding suitable rims through the regular outlets.

Starting to think it would have been better to have just organised the option 21s...

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 20-02-2015, 11:40 AM   #60
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

worst part of owning a diesel is filling up.... you never get any from the diesel smell clothes, hands, shoes etc the pumps and floors are always covered in it...
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post