Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #31
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Holy crap batman! dealer servicing strikes again! (holden this time lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240 View Post
The $$$ if it required other work !!
Why we do our own servicing..
When we've got E series they break something every time you drive it, so imagine if we got them serviced at a dealership.

Sir, your bill comes to the title of your house and your first born daughter, sign here please.

I take my cars under warranty to my trusted local mechanic, he does a good job and has LOTS of experience on Ford in particular.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #32
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Default Re: Holy crap batman! dealer servicing strikes again! (holden this time lol)

Happy with Ford servicing, especially capped price servicing.
Costs me $350.00 for the car and all the fluids topped up, oil changed and the whole car checked over (I know because they rang me about a knock in the front end of the BF Fairlane, but ran out of time to find it.)
Car received a wash, vacuum, and ECU update along with the oil change, wiper blades and other stuff. The ZF also had a software update too to eliminate a slight flare between first and second.
The seat belt was even cleaned and lubricated (you know how they get dirty and start having trouble retracting).
Then also got the free roadside assistance (NRMA are around $130.00 annually in NSW).

Very happy, well done Ford and judging by the full service department I'm guessing this strategy is working.

Heck, in the USA you can go to Walmart or Jiffy-Lube for an oil and filter change and it costs $29.00.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #33
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Please. Worth it? Hardly.

Unless you are extremely naive, you will realise that "checking" the things listed involves a quick look...maybe half an hours work, tops, to do the lot. I've heard it from dealership mechanics, I've seen it done when I've actually waited for my car to be serviced, it isn't a huge list of complicated work-intensive jobs.

Car servicing is one of the most massive rip-offs which has plagued society for decades...people don't mind paying for actual hours of work done, but don't treat us like fools and tell us that the ten minute check over most of us give our car in the driveway every few days is worth anything near what we are charged...not to mention the predatory oil and filter pricing at dealerships.
If you ask first, you can in fact bring in your own oil and filter of your choosing...I always use Ryco filters (example: the large oil filter from Supercheap for our diesel Triton, $50. From Mitsubishi for the branded one, $68) and whatever oil suits the car in a good brand. For the price of ordinary oil the dealers use, you can supply them with a good semi or even full synthetic oil at about the same price as they charge for the manufacturers brand name stuff.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #34
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
Sorry I don't get it

I take my XR50 to a Ford dealer. So far I've been happy with their work. And on capped servicing it includes a year of road side assistance which saves me $70 or $80 instead of using RACQ.
Jeremy clarkson a year or so back had his mercedes greengrocer serviced at the merc dealership. it cost 20 000 pounds (no joke. they almost rebuilt the car). james may replied when he saw the invoice "what did they give you? a volkwagen polo?"

since myself and a mate saw that episode, its been a running joke whenever my best mate gets his audi 'serviced' at the dealer and they find 1600$ worth of parts to repair on a 6 year old car.

only this time, i was the one being bent over.....

i received this today.

Hi David,

I have spoken to my service manager about the cost and I have been advised we could carry out the service under our special fleet pricing. This would mean it would cost $402.

wowo! a whole 72$ discount. hey its a start.

i got my call from my mechanic today. 150$ will cover the service lol. he does do everything on the list, even the extra mile like greasing to door hinges, change out washer fluid and clean filter (problem on my old bf which would accumulate algae) and he personally drives me to work and picks me up.

when the car is returned, he also goes over the car with me to show whats worth looking into next time, or even some possible future mods lol. hes part of the reason i have V8 SS brakes already lol.

my plan tommorow is to see if i can get a quote from the local ford dealer, to service my car cheaper than what the holden dealer can do, to the same standard. ie genuine filter. i will laugh my head off if its cheaper to service my commodore at ford than it is at holden lol!

ice

Last edited by IceValk85; 21-02-2013 at 09:59 PM.
IceValk85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #35
Night

Simple solution to those not happy with service costs they're paying, Take it somewhere else. Never understood why some think they have to take their car to a particular dealer for a service and never check around.
Night is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #36
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sometimes I call real estate agents to confirm that is cheaper in this cardboard box
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2013, 01:17 AM   #37
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any one with a bit of mechanical nouse can do a basic oil and filter have a quick glance and say it`s serviced in 20 minutes, particularly if it`s near on a new car, personally i think to check properly it takes a bit more time, of course the quality of work depends on the attitude of the boss paying the mechanics wages and the mechanics themselves.
imo dealers have to ask a bit extra for the convenience factor, the bigger ones usually have a service dude to greet you book the car in take the keys, make a note of any special problems to be given to the mechanic,

usually most parts required are there, as are special tools ,software, ability to do warranty work on the spot, most big dealers i reckon are more privvy to any faults than the average workshop i think,
most dealers have a waiting room with coffee machine, tv, some have loan cars.
not taking anything away from a good private workshop, but just to me i can see why a dealer might want a bit more for work done.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-02-2013, 02:15 AM   #38
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
usually most parts required are there, as are special tools ,software, ability to do warranty work on the spot, most big dealers i reckon are more privvy to any faults than the average workshop i think,
most dealers have a waiting room with coffee machine, tv, some have loan cars.
not taking anything away from a good private workshop, but just to me i can see why a dealer might want a bit more for work done.
Those are my reasons for taking my car to the dealer. I know it's more expensive than private mechanics, but I've never had a problem with their service, and having a loan car to drive while my car is in for a service is quite handy.

I have absolutely no mechanical ability, so doing any work myself is out of the question.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #39
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post

Unless you are extremely naive, you will realise that "checking" the things listed involves a quick look...maybe half an hours work, tops, to do the lot. I've heard it from dealership mechanics, I've seen it done when I've actually waited for my car to be serviced, it isn't a huge list of complicated work-intensive jobs.

Car servicing is one of the most massive rip-offs which has plagued society for decades...people don't mind paying for actual hours of work done, but don't treat us like fools and tell us that the ten minute check over most of us give our car in the driveway every few days is worth anything near what we are charged...not to mention the predatory oil and filter pricing at dealerships.
If you ask first, you can in fact bring in your own oil and filter of your choosing...I always use Ryco filters (example: the large oil filter from Supercheap for our diesel Triton, $50. From Mitsubishi for the branded one, $68) and whatever oil suits the car in a good brand. For the price of ordinary oil the dealers use, you can supply them with a good semi or even full synthetic oil at about the same price as they charge for the manufacturers brand name stuff.
Who has time to go to supercheap or repco when they're trying to get their car serviced?
I don't work for free, my time is valued and I don't expect my Ford dealer to work for free either.
That you expect to get something for the same price from an independent mechanic trying to match pricing or better than a dealership with massive capital costs on factory equipment such as scan-tools etc is a little naive.
You say you've heard it from dealer mechanics, I've heard the opposite from the same, as well as the extra burden of being a dealer and being seen as a big company ready for someone to get a Today Tonight or A Current Affair scoop from.

I'd rather have the TSB's applied to my cars when and where needed without the hassle of rebooking them, as well as having a factory technician do the work for me with the right equipment. The amount of little issues I've had fixed without cost or consequence over the years is amazing. For example, had a rear engine seal done on a AU2 at ford, $120.00 added to the service including part. They also upgraded the ECU at the time and the car started getting better mileage and more lineal power.
Took advice from a member here at the time before it went in to get a price from Ultra-tune; $880.00 just for the seal.

Maybe you have been to some bad dealers but there's a bit of a trend here, you do seem to love to dump on the Ford brand at most opportunities.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #40
ChRiDDa

Dealerships are getting worse and worse! I recently paid near on $200 at a Fraud dealership for an oil change, but I SUPPLIED the oil and filter!
Yes yes, I know, should be doing it myself, but I figured the warranty is almost about to run out, so I would bite the bullet and let them do it! Won't make that same mistake again
ChRiDDa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #41
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

those pesky trades people trying to aford a living in australia
Old 22-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #42
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:

Gezzz.. I dunno!

I think most service industries see us coming, but everyone is entitled to make a living... I got my roller doors serviced at home the other day, cost me $120 and the guy would have been there for 5 minutes, but he might have had to travel for an hour to get to his next job (that I didn't see). I take that into consideration as well as the fact that my roller doors work flawlessly and move on.

I guess where I am coming from its not all black and white. In the case of dealerships the mechanic might only spend 45 minutes servicing your car, but what about all the other people that work there? For example the service advisor that spends 15 minutes with you going through the issues you have, or the warranty clerk that has to spend 30 minutes putting the warranty claim into Ford on your behalf? Do these people live on centrelink payments and work at the dealership for free?

Seriously there are so many things you don't see from the outside that all equate to the final cost. So who is more naive? You or us? Lol.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #43
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

spot on dash
Old 22-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #44
danmc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can understand feeling ripped off if work isnt actually done but once you find someone that actually does do the right thing they are worth paying more.

I service all my cars as they are older or imports but I send the other half's (newish)car to the only dealership I have found so far that I can trust. They cost me a friggin fortune but I happily pay it and the car has given us zero trouble.
danmc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #45
davistev

Oh how I miss Canada and the USA for servicing my car. I would go to my local Oil Can Henrys. I would drive in - stay in my car - the guy in a bow tie would open my hood and I would be able to see the servicing on the huge LCD TV in front of me via webcam from top and belkow the vehicle. Another guy would bring me my newspaper and a cup of complimentary coffee if I wanted one (just the cheap stuff). In 15 minutes, the oil change would be done. If the vehicle needed an air filter or anything I would be informed of such on the spot. A regulare oil change with Castrol or Quaker State oil would cost around $35 (cheaper with a coupon). Never would I hop out of the car. It was the best service ever.

Options included transmission service, radiator flush etc. It was just so easy and met manufacturers warranty for basic servicing. I wish we had those options in Australia.
Old 22-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #46
Angeldust

ok thats definetly too much.

I get charged ~$240 for the same service at my local holden dealer and thats for my VZ HSV.

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #47
Drizz06
XR50th

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
Sorry I don't get it

I take my XR50 to a Ford dealer. So far I've been happy with their work. And on capped servicing it includes a year of road side assistance which saves me $70 or $80 instead of using RACQ.
I take mine there every 12months but also do oil and filter changes in between so it gets new oil every 6months.
But i only plan to do this until warranty runs out then i'll do it all myself.
Runabout- 1997 XH longreach in white.
Project- 1976 ZH fairlane 500
Drizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #48
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
they check all fluid levels and change oil and filter on a pink slip inspection?
No they don't... No oil change in my quoted text, but I did inadvertently leave
the 'check fluids' in there. Nevertheless, you get the gist of my post.... ?

Most of the OP's list is basically a $35 pink slip.......and then $439 for his oil change.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #49
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Quote:

If you are supplying the dealer with a Ryco filter to put on , there isnt much point in getting the car serviced at the dealership if your doing it for warranty.
The warranty will be void for using non genuine parts.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #50
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Recently dropped a Suzuki off at a dealership with a blown brake light globe for a service.

Collected the car at the end of the day, globe still blown.

Listed on the service schedule that they "checked all lights and globes".

Makes you wonder ... I don't put much store in the "list" of items that a dealer supposedly undertakes. Not when the only real "item" on the list is an oil and filter change.
Old 23-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #51
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some years ago I took my Subaru Forester to the dealer because the engine light was on, they removed and refitted the front half of the exhaust system, (a 20 minute job), charged me $250 and told me the exhaust system needed replacement at a cost of about $1500 dollars. Instead I took it to my friendly local mechanic who found that the wire to the knock sensor was damaged, fixed in 10 minutes. And the said exhaust system lasted another 200,000 Km, 400,000 in all, before I had to replace it.

I think some dealers are factory trained con men.
Old 24-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #52
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

had the turbo booked in at 3pm once (from memory)
it ended up going into the workshop at around 3.45 and they tried to slug me the labour from 3pm
i said i was sitting out side on the phone playing a game and watched the mechanic com out and get it at near on 3.45
ok we'll deduct that labour

damn friggin straight you will
so what do you think my opinion is of them now, you reckon i trust them, mistake or not???
not on your life
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #53
smally289
growing up is optional

Would love to see an itemised quote for the service mentioned in the OP. I manage a Mitsubishi workshop in a country town and we charge $90 an hour. It doesn't take long for a service bill to add up, especially when some vehicles take 7 or 8 litres of synthetic oil. Start doing valve clearances on a CRD every 30,000km and it gets expensive!
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #54
stace650

I put my Territory into one of Perths big Ford dealers. The handbrake had an issue (it pulled all the way up, no tension and don't work at all). They failed to pick that up despite the fact it was on the 'list' of items ticked off. I took it back, demanded a complete new service, saying they if they didn't do the handbrake, how was I to know they didn't 'forget' everything. The apologized profusely, said they would do the service again free (except for the oil and filter, which had been done.) They lent me a car, fixed the handbrake.

Pity they didn't pick up on the faulty tail light , also on the ticked off list, that was blown the whole time.

I fixed it myself.

They called me a while later, saying my car was due for a service again. I told them it was going to a local mechanic for an oil change, then I would spend the afternoon going over it myself. Properly. I will never use a dealer for service again. Ever.

'63 Mercury Meteor
Long and slow
stace650 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #55
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Question: I know it can vary from car to car manufacturer, but if I purchased a new car and got my local mechanic to carry out the services is my car still covered by warenty? Say something broke, for example a water pump or the diff started whining after 40,000?

Back when mum bought her new car from Toyota she had all sorts of trouble. Her brakes failed and they made her drive it from Wantirna to Fentree Gully.... needless to say, she didn't return!

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #56
davistev

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSVPom View Post
I just had a combo 115k and 125k service on my 6 year old Liberty at the Docklands main dealer. The car needed the full monty and cost me $1,460, which was cheaper than UltraTubes and Ripco quoted online for the following :

Oil and filter changed
Engine coolant flush and fill
Brake fluid changed
Air filter changed
Iridium spark plugs changed
Cambelt and alternator belt changed
Gearbox oil changed
Front diff oil changed
Rear diff oil changed
New wipers
All other checks, and campaigns / ECU updated, as per logbook
Free pick up and drop off at my place of work (CBD)
Cup of coffee
Warm fuzzy feeling knowing the car's in good running order.

I feel that was reasonable to be honest.
$1460 for fluids, two belts, spark plugs and two wiper blades just confirms why I do my own servicing. But I guess if that is what a warm fuzzy feeling costs nowadays.
Old 24-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #57
davistev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night View Post
Simple solution to those not happy with service costs they're paying, Take it somewhere else. Never understood why some think they have to take their car to a particular dealer for a service and never check around.
My son bought an extended warranty from Jarvis Ford in Adelaide. Upon looking at the fineprint - it states that it must be serviced ONLY at Jarvis Ford for the extended warranty to be valid.
Old 24-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #58
davistev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_BA2003 View Post
Question: I know it can vary from car to car manufacturer, but if I purchased a new car and got my local mechanic to carry out the services is my car still covered by warenty? Say something broke, for example a water pump or the diff started whining after 40,000?
Yep - you are covered. If there is any room for denial of a warranty claim, it would be because your mechanic did not use Genuine Ford replacement parts. Just be careful of that one. Not all customers live near a Ford dealership and their local mechanic is the practical way to getting your car serviced according to Ford specifications.
Old 24-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #59
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davistev View Post
My son bought an extended warranty from Jarvis Ford in Adelaide. Upon looking at the fineprint - it states that it must be serviced ONLY at Jarvis Ford for the extended warranty to be valid.
pretty normal with most extended warranties these days

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #60
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davistev View Post
$1460 for fluids, two belts, spark plugs and two wiper blades just confirms why I do my own servicing. But I guess if that is what a warm fuzzy feeling costs nowadays.
most people can not do, have the tools or be bothered to change a cam belt at home

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post: